This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Burbidge

Federation of Window Cleaners
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:00:05 pm »
How many on here are in the Fed? What would you change about it?

I am due to interview the FWC shortly..... Is there any serious questions you would like me to ask or is there anything you wished the Fed would do for members?

paul marshall

Re: Federation of Window Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »
i dont know much about em lee .but i always think federations like that are just a way of squeezing yet more money out of our pockets , but as i said i dont know too much about em  ??? ???
the more flyers i post , the luckier i seem to get ...

g.brookes

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »
i am a member.

i would like you to ask them about their relationship with the internet and if they have any plans to utilise it more in the future

mac74

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:41:43 pm »
Good post - Ive been a member for about 5 years now, and the reason i joined them was purely for there canvassing leaflet and badges etc, as i felt  it looked like a governing body to reassure the customer that i wasnt dodgy upon start up! (although they do say 1 year min exp).  I found this helped me out (although not certain?), but now im established im not sure as im domestic only wc, if (for me) its worth the £92.50? But i do still give out the odd leaflet and have the logos on the van. I did look into the mgwc, but at the time they didnt have a canvassing leaflet, great badge though! and they are about £20 a year, i might change over when i get around to it. However, this is just my thoughts as a domestic wc, not a commercial one as i think they do have more benefits on that side of stuff. Hope this helps.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »
Ask them when they are going to get into the 21st century as they seem to be languishing somewhere around the time of decimalisation to me ...

Oh and ask them if any member can see their accounts?

And what is the point of their existence?

It's a game of three halves!

Ian101

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:12:20 pm »
How many on here are in the Fed? What would you change about it?

I am due to interview the FWC shortly..... Is there any serious questions you would like me to ask or is there anything you wished the Fed would do for members?

who ?? the federation of window cleaners ??

never heard of em ... what do they do ??

how can they benefit me ?

can they get me "proper" discount on my van insurance
do they offer approved insurance for life, accident etc etc
can they nail a national deal with a bank to help with charges

etc etc

obviously I do know who they are but dont really think they can help my business .. not into badges etc more into saving money.

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:30:04 pm »
i dont know much about em lee .but i always think federations like that are just a way of squeezing yet more money out of our pockets , but as i said i dont know too much about em  ??? ???

The Fed is a Government recognized trade association. Yes it does cost a small amount a year, I guess, but what do you think a trade association like this should offer its members?

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »
i am a member.

i would like you to ask them about their relationship with the internet and if they have any plans to utilise it more in the future

Great questions.... I will ask them. They do have a website with a members area... is this what you mean?

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »
Good post - Ive been a member for about 5 years now, and the reason i joined them was purely for there canvassing leaflet and badges etc, as i felt  it looked like a governing body to reassure the customer that i wasnt dodgy upon start up! (although they do say 1 year min exp).  I found this helped me out (although not certain?), but now im established im not sure as im domestic only wc, if (for me) its worth the £92.50? But i do still give out the odd leaflet and have the logos on the van. I did look into the mgwc, but at the time they didnt have a canvassing leaflet, great badge though! and they are about £20 a year, i might change over when i get around to it. However, this is just my thoughts as a domestic wc, not a commercial one as i think they do have more benefits on that side of stuff. Hope this helps.

Tell us about the mgwc.....

Do you think a trade association should be doing more for the membership?? After all... if all your getting is a badge, are you just paying the wages of those employed by the FWC? Do you think we need a return of the FWC event that used to take place once per year? Do you think the FWC should have a 'van vest' of its own or offer online webinars  of marketing gurus etc?

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
Ask them when they are going to get into the 21st century as they seem to be languishing somewhere around the time of decimalisation to me ...

Oh and ask them if any member can see their accounts?

And what is the point of their existence?

Ok.

Yes all members get an annual report which shows accounts....

Point of existence? Im not sure... its a well established brand, may be it could be kept and a vote of no confidence on the board would be an oppourtunity to refresh the panel and ideas if change is what people really want ( it can be done).....  ??

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
Ask them why they rubbished WFP on tv and then embarrassingly retract their statement.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_4230000/newsid_4231900/4231920.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_4230000/newsid_4231900/4231920.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

I think the Fed from its history has been more re-active than pro-active. I have extended help to the Fed with ideas to build up the brand but the message is not getting through....  ( i think they think Im a smart arse, but really want a Fed of some worth. I think the Fed can achieve so much more.
You only have to look at my friends Chris and Alex in the States. Chris sat on the board of IWCA for about a week or so and instantly recognised the IWCA model could be done in a different way.... he went on to set up the successful WCRA (Window Cleaners Resource Association) it offers $15,000 worth of stuff when you join up and heaps more stuff on going with heavy discounts on supplies from their shop and business tools to help you succeed....)

I think it will be time for a new association soon enough or some sort of change within the FWC wether that be people or ways of thinking.....

Elfyn

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 07:15:56 pm »
The timing of this post couldn't be better for me as I'm thinking of joining the FWC, but if there is a viable alternative I'd be interested in that too.
I think I'll hold back and see what develops.

Erithwc

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »
interesting topic i think the federation should offer its members a top spot on google for the areas they cover they used to offer slots in yellow pages i think  ;D

Im looking at joining once i have done my city and guilds with impact 43

Paul

g.brookes

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:57:43 pm »
i am a member.

Great questions.... I will ask them. They do have a website with a members area... is this what you mean?

what i mean is the website is really quite out of date and barely updated.  the internet is by far the dominant way of informing people about everything and it is the technology side where i feel the federation is most lacking.  it has a 'find a window cleaner' function which was the main reason i joined, and potentially a brilliant tool, but its hidden away in the menu bar on the left, and most people looking for a window cleaner would not spend long enough on the site to look for it.  they have a brilliant opportunity to vouch for registered, insured window cleaners and i think this part needs to be massively played up, and it will bring in a great deal of member imo.  its like the nationwide window cleaners things but actually run by a competent organisation rather than money grabbers

g.brookes

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »
also note i am a fervent believer in the federation and think its fantastic.  its just needs a bit of a fast forward

Frankybadboy

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »
ask them why they are seen as out of date and out of touch to the modern windy,

this is the way i see them,so far behind the times.

Tom White

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:36 pm »
And what was that about some dodgy business deal that they did that annoyed the heck out of Philip Hanson and some others?

p1w1

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:44 pm »
i see the fed as old, outdated, and full of dead wood ....i think the idea of a federation is brilliant but i think it needs to be a complete new one with fresh faces.

Archer

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

Lee,

i have been a member for years and NEVER ONCE have had a call from them regarding providing quotations anywhere.

Your not telling me, that The Federation of Window Cleaners do not get calls from potential customers asking for a reputable window cleaner ?

To be totally honest its pretty poor, they should be forwarding all enquiries to window cleaners to allow them to atleast have a chance of providing quotations.

Or is this jobs for the boys ??????????????????

Apart from using the logo and saying im a member of the federation of window cleaners, i cannot really see what its about.

They should be helping window cleaners to make contact with as many potential customers as possible instead of having to pay or join up to money making schemes.