Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

charles911

Would you work 4 someone else
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
ive been working on and off as a carpet cleaner now for about 3/4 years. my uncle was a carpet cleaner and i used to help him 2.

Thing is, before xsmas and defo after, my phone aint rang much and my flyer get about 1 in 600 (not good)
I was speaking to someone in a carpet cleaning shop when i was looking at a machine who said they were lookin for someone on a full time basis as they purchased a rug cleaning plant and have moved it to nr where i live as they own a business park about 10 miles away from me.

he gave me his number and said if i wanted a job to think about it and give him a call.
so what i can remember he said I'd be working in a rug cleaning plant and not only would i get the chance to go on free courses but i could also train as a furniture re upholsterer if i wanted as they are merging their existing businesses AND if i wanted after training,i could take on overtime on commercial work at weekends/nights
After i was fully trained I would start on £13000 a year which would increase if I like it, wanted to stay and proved to be good at my job!
thing is, I dont have to answer to anyone and im my own boss which i have liked. I am strapped for cash but when its thick with snow on the ground i dont have ny one screeming down the phone cos im not comin in lol

what woud you do?  ;D

Craigp

Re: would you work 4 someone else
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »
I can see the appeal of a fixed wage, but £13k is only net £190 per week

Can you live on that? Seems a bit low..

Craig

Ferenc G.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:40:48 pm »
For 190 a week? No. I'd rather drop leaflets for 3 days a week, that should fill up the remaining 2 days with carpet cleaning jobs. I would make more than 190 a week this way, work for myself and build my own business.

jim mca

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:42:03 pm »
Would you not be better to get a part time job 12 to 16 hours per week to help you through
13k wont go far and you might slave for the money  

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »
Is that even legal minimum wage?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

clinton

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »
Sounds like the security of a job and money coming in regular..

Maybe as jim asaid get a part time job to help and leaflets ..

Good luck..

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:37:09 pm »
13k a year is £250 a week, unless you mean £190 after tax.

Shaun

from edge2edge

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »
Jonny is that 13k plus company van and kit.Will the owner be ok with you doing a bit for yourself at the weekend.In short find out exactly what is on offer and if any perks can be negotiated at the start like if you get some new work do you get a percentage etc as most things are negotiable especially if your new employer sees you as a person who brings something extra to the party so to speak.................Go and have a good long discussion if the offer still stands..................just my opinion though ............Alan(swindon)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »
Charles where are you based?

Do you have any advertising out there? Yell, website, leaflets, customer database?

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »
we are talking about  offering a skilled, married(?) man £13k a year........ do we need to say any more

I pay my 18yrs old son more

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
Mike you could take the job then go off on the sick :o

Shaun

JandS

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 05:58:25 pm »
£220 per week after tax if you use your personal tax
allowance on that income.
No overheads at all though, still not enough for me though.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

JandS

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »
Mike

Depends what the hours are.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Hilton

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »
If you strapped for cash I can see the attraction, why not use it to get  to get fully  trained for six months then renegotiate the salary or leave to further your career..

charles911

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »
Would you not be better to get a part time job 12 to 16 hours per week to help you through
13k wont go far and you might slave for the money  

this is one of the things i think! I one of the things i intend to find out! 6am is a no which is what time they start wtf lol

charles911

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
Jonny is that 13k plus company van and kit.Will the owner be ok with you doing a bit for yourself at the weekend.In short find out exactly what is on offer and if any perks can be negotiated at the start like if you get some new work do you get a percentage etc as most things are negotiable especially if your new employer sees you as a person who brings something extra to the party so to speak.................Go and have a good long discussion if the offer still stands..................just my opinion though ............Alan(swindon)

Intend 2 mate. I think there is a van inc which would be perfect for my own ideas @ the weekend. going up this weekend.  so ill know more then.

charles911

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Charles where are you based?

Do you have any advertising out there? Yell, website, leaflets, customer database?

Shaun

Yeah ive done loads of leaflet drops. got about 10 domestic and 3 commercial on my books booked in for a 12 month repeat.

Had loads of bad look with vans which has set me back abit.  just moved to a place called eckington. thought about a web site but dont have the money atm. its an idea tho

Craigp

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:15 pm »
Yes I ment net but I based it on 25% I forgot about personal allowance though so it's more like net £220 As jands said.

Still very low pay, you would have to have a very low mortgage or paid off to survive on that.

charles911

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:34 pm »
well jst split up with the ex so im now living with my parents again ( :-X) I give ma mum about £40.00 a month 4 ma washin n that. i pay for my gym membership n food n everthin else so id pretty much end up with about £900 a month to play about with (i think)
Jst text him and he rang me back to arange goin up which is tomorrow now! jst googled his address and its like a propa mansion wtf lol

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »
after reading that i suggest you take the job