This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

VSP Home Care

Went out Canvassing today in a posh area
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »
Had a few hours out in Bickley and Chislehurst today, I think we must have knocked on around 200 houses, got quite a few maybe's for lawns, a couple of I'll have a think about it's for the windows as well as lawns.  So no new customers but hey if you know the area you'll know how amazing the properties are.

Some of them took two minutes to walk down the drive  ;D

They have to be some of the most stunning properties I've ever seen, some of them must be at least 10 beds.  It would certainly be a pleasure to work somewhere like that.  Alas there are quite a few people working the area so we don't expect to pick up much work, and to be fair no one complained about their current chap and he looks to be doing a fine job over there.

Nice day out though dreaming of living in a place like that..

king marko

Re: Went out Canvassing today in a posh area
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »
I always feel a little downhearted by the maybe/I'll let you know brigade - I wish I had the patter to close the deal  :)

John F

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:39:11 pm »
not being funny mate but asking people if they would like to have their lawn mowed in january is a non starter with people who own properties that size. they tend to be lottery winners or professional people. so no much chance of them falling for that trick  ;D

after asking 200 people if they would like their windows cleaned as well as lawns cut and getting 200 people saying no then i would check my sales pitch.

on the bright side you must be a record holder on c i u.  ;)

stuart mc

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:04 pm »
 ;D ;D two hundred and no joy, oh dear, I would change my pitch or go else where, and lawns ???

VSP Home Care

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:52 pm »
Well we only found about 8 that didn't already have someone, so the area is well covered and I'm not suprised really.

Lawn's we don't really start until March, that's why it's best to take bookings now  ;)  We had way more people say they would think about the lawns than we did windows  :)

If I don't get the windows I'll certainly be a happy chap doing those huge lawns  ;D

richywilts

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:10:48 pm »
Do many of your customers actually go for lawns and window cleaning do you invoice them one whole price
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

bumper

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »
i think ive seen you about cleaning windows and bin cleaning

tom cronin

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
I Never done lawns before, but had 3 people ask the other day when I was canvassing for windows, I said yeah, 10£ a month with the windows, there all on new estate, nice level, tidy lawns already....reckon they'll take no more than 10 mins each with my petty mower  :)

VSP Home Care

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:24 pm »
Do many of your customers actually go for lawns and window cleaning do you invoice them one whole price

We have a few that pay a half or full day, large properties so we do what we can in the time we have.  I also like the fact that if someone has a windy then they might just give you the lawn work, certainly better than no work  ;)

Monday to Wednesday next week we are decorating, sealing some flooring and repairing a shed roof, then on to trimming a small garden back.  I'm certainly not going to be doing her windows, I know her windy and he's a monster  ;D

And a good pal  ;)

VSP Home Care

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:28 pm »
I Never done lawns before, but had 3 people ask the other day when I was canvassing for windows, I said yeah, 10£ a month with the windows, there all on new estate, nice level, tidy lawns already....reckon they'll take no more than 10 mins each with my petty mower  :)

That's it TC, another string to the bow my friend.  Just remember the edges!  Do the lawn as a landscaper would, edge's first, then cross cut the lawn and not too short, then trim.  Sure give's me a nice feeling when it's all looking tidy.  Plus when a customer see's your work they are more likely to ask you to do other work.

There's more money in doing windows alone I'd think, but we love the mix if we can get it   :)

I know a lady that only does gardening, she won't even touch a lawn.  She's on around 150 a day out where she lives, we're hoping to connect up with her customers and do those lawns nicely for them... and the windows I'm sure  ;)

VSP Home Care

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:11 pm »
i think ive seen you about cleaning windows and bin cleaning

Not me Bumper, I leave the bins to braver men than me, and those with no sense of smell.  Although as a Carp man I'm sure you have a strong hooter when it comes to bait making  ;D

roundbuilder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:39:26 pm »
Vsp i have loads in chislehurst. what area are you from??

Paul T

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »
Glad it's not just me then .
I tried canvassing Chislehurst last year . Only covered about 70-80 houses but didn't get one job out of it ! I think the windies on that patch have got it well covered

bobby p

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:50 pm »
VSP -good to hear youre out there mate. your mix of jobs will stand u in good stead and you wont get bored neither. you could also offer lawn feeding as an add on

John F

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:57 pm »
yeah. you could offer dog walking and room decoration  too. after school english lessons and hair colour classes as well. come on lads. lets concentrate on doing what we are good at and put some customers into our areas that we work in.

branching out into other things is great when you have too much of your main business full. try to be everything to everyone and you end up running around in circles and achieving nothing. its about doing what you are good at. not about being a jack of all trades and master of none.

tom cronin

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:05 am »
Vsp i have loads in chislehurst. what area are you from??

Itsthe ice cream van wars all over again  ;)

H S and Son

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
yeah. you could offer dog walking and room decoration  too. after school english lessons and hair colour classes as well.

;D ;D ;D

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:29 am »
yeah. you could offer dog walking and room decoration  too. after school english lessons and hair colour classes as well. come on lads. lets concentrate on doing what we are good at and put some customers into our areas that we work in.

branching out into other things is great when you have too much of your main business full. try to be everything to everyone and you end up running around in circles and achieving nothing. its about doing what you are good at. not about being a jack of all trades and master of none.

Every post ive read from you Sir John F has been negative, and have yet seen you agree with anyone else.

Top bloke

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 08:10:10 am »
I`m from West Yorkshire and funnily enough got invited
To a `posh`birthday party where the party was held at a
Sports club in Chistlehurst.Stayed overnight in a pub
B and B in nearby Eltham.
Going from Eltham in the taxi to Chislehurst ( it was dark
Too 7.30 pm ish`) I thought gee some possibilities for some
Aspiring `windie`here !
Nothing much like them houses near to me.
Instead of lawns did ya think about gutter clearance at all?
A Clark 20 or 30 model or similier,don`t mean laddering.
I`m no salesman,but 5 or 6 jobs at least ya really was`nt being
Too ambitious.Might be ya sales pitch like others have said. ??? ;D

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:28 am »
i really do think more affluent customers see you as a jack of all trades.desperate for work."ill cut your grass no problem!!and clean the windows as well when ive raked the grass up!!maaam!!!"

i know guys that do this.they are usually retired gentlemen and charge low and on council estates they do ok.

IMO you should just offer cleaning services if your a window cleaner.with the add on conservatory roof,fascia and soffit cleaning as extra add on work as and when.forget mowing the bloody grass as well!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!