This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

The truth about gortex? all leaked top brands.
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:27:45 pm »
berghaus £80 leaked, replaced then payed £10 more for salomans they leaked too not as bad as the first then got a pair of berghaus

again this time they refudned me £40 as they where on sale so ive ended up now with the first ones for half price

blacks wimbeldon all 3 leaking the left foot yes i am right handed, they are telling me
they shouldnt leak and i am the only person bringing them back and no brands should leak

can anyone shead any light on this? it seems to be a tiny part of the trainer. or god knows ???
i now have to replace these.. ???

♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: The truth about gortex? all leaked top brands.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »
Try some wellies! ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:13 pm »
They aren't really designed for constant wet weather use. Get leather boots lined with Goretex then you can proof the leather too. I wear Berghaus Explorer Ridge boots and they don't leak generally. I also had some Hitec boots coated with some magic formula guaranteed waterproof - they lasted an hour!

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »
we use karrimor water proof boots had dry feet for a few years now :) oh and they are under £40 a pair depending on how much or a tart you are :)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:37:47 pm »
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=010101440008

I've tried all the cheap stuff and it's usually crap.

stuart mc

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:25 pm »
mate I have known gortex will leak for years, I got shot down for saying it here, it is good but enough water and it will leak, although how you are getting so wet is a mystery, it took days of standing in peat bogs and the like before my feet got wet

Crystal-clear

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:35 pm »
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=010101440008

I've tried all the cheap stuff and it's usually crap.

right at the moment ive got these sweet looking things http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Berghaus-Prognosis-GTX-Mens-Shoe

it leaks at the bottom side im not getting water above the level...
im getting wet cos i work with water 8 hours a day :0;; drips just mount up and leak

mate will that boot do the job? is there anything more like a trainer that will be to heavy and warm in the summer.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:24 pm »
Brasher Supalite GTX II boots here. Gore-tex, full grain leather. Bone dry. First test was submersing them in a bucket of water for 5 minutes with tissue paper stuffed in them. No problem. Not even at the shoe lace points.

£100. Best shoes I have ever had. They fit properly from day one, like it's moulded to my foot. They are super light as well, as light as trainers. 1160g per pair (for size 9). Downside is that they are not as warm as others, but that can easily fixed by thermal socks. The plus side is that you can use them in summer as well.

It's not Gore-tex, it's the quality of the trainers. You really need full grain leather boots. You need to look after them as well by regularly cleaning them and rubbing leather grease in them.

All waterproof membranes will eventually fail because they are constantly subjected to external forces. Gore-tex is still considered to be the best, closely followed by eVent and others.

Dave Willis

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »
Anything with a nylon/canvas upper holds the water and never dries out. Treated leather repels the water so that it rolls off in droplets. You want a tongue that's stitched to the top too.

Pope vader

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
i use rigger boots some times and they are great

Crystal-clear

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:33 pm »
Looks like Brasher it is then,
as long as they are light then fine
how often do i need to treat it with the grease

found one on ebay for £130 new. others ive had a bit cheaper but you get for what you pay for

RO-Sheen

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:24:50 pm »
Before you buy the Brashers.......

I bought some Goretex british army boots from ebay a few years ago. I paid £35 delivered and they are superb still! I've not treated them and feet are still warm and dry all day. I've tried all of the other £100 boots (but not Brashers) and although they are waterproof to begin with, they very soon lose their waterproofness.
Only downside is is that they are heavier than Brashers but the weight has never been a problem.

Here is just one pair I just found for £35 but there are loads...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS-GRADE-1-ALL-SIZES-/280670885191?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item870c869c00
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Crystal-clear

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

I bought some Goretex british army boots from ebay a few years ago. I paid £35 delivered and they are superb still! I've not treated them and feet are still warm and dry all day. I've tried all of the other £100 boots (but not Brashers) and although they are waterproof to begin with, they very soon lose their waterproofness.
Only downside is is that they are heavier than Brashers but the weight has never been a problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS-GRADE-1-ALL-SIZES-/280670885191?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item870c869c00

what do those £35 things look like ;/?

Crystal-clear

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »
wont they be really warm and heavy?

stuart mc

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:41 pm »

that is what I would buy ;) I have made them leak but only in extreme conditions, mine are knackered now so a new pair will be ordered

RO-Sheen

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 11:38:36 pm »
Like i said the weight has never been a problem. I'm a 40 year old so no spring chicken but can easily climb 6' walls. Remember, they are designed for UK forces to do combat in so they wont be too heavy.
However, I change to trainers when the spring/summer comes but really only cos they would like stupid with my shorts but also in the height of the summer they would be too hot!!  ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:47 pm »
blacks wimbeldon all 3 leaking

You've got 3 feet?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

RO-Sheen

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:23 pm »
I've just weighed 1 boot on the kitchen scales (Dont tell my wife!) and it was 2lb 8oz (1.136g)

KS Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »
I have Kayland boots,keep you dry...but....they have a very hard sole on them,so you don't get a very good grip.Trad people who walk on roofs AVOID!

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 11:52:19 pm »
goretex bergaus boots here.had them for 18 months worn everyday for work.feet absolutely bone dry.no problems whatsover.their not even leather!!goretex/canvass material!!£80 in a sale.

im well impressed with goretex.i also have a bergaus jacket.again bone dry and no sweating.i re proof it every few months though.

the boots ive not treated with anything.very little wear as well.best boots ive ever bought.
price higher/work harder!