This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Washers

Hot v's Cold
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »
for those of you that use hot.

Could I ask can you do more work with it and in a quicker time, does it increase your turn over or is it just an expensive hand warmer?

cheers
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

SherwoodCleaningSe

Re: Hot v's Cold
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »
It depends on the heat of the water.  Some will say that it is no faster at all, but they probably only have the water warm. If you have the water very hot at about 60C + (not recomended this time of year though) then it will clean much faster, baked on birds doings come off with ease, the water flows down the windows nicer. I'd say you get maybe a 10% increase in speed if you can take advantage of it, maybe even faster.

A lot of hot users are really only Luke warm to bath temperature users though, it makes a big difference to the cleaning ability of the water, even so that still means you can work on a sub zero day.

Simon.

Lee GLS

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:45:07 pm »
What heater have you got Simon?

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
problem is that if you have the water on hot, you'll crack some windows and power through your fuel too which of course ups costs.  with the water warm you do get better cleaning, most noticable on the pvc i reckon...
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
Simon, how are your hoses coping with the heat? I've tried two different minibores and neither like the heat.

niceandclean

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »
Simon, how are your hoses coping with the heat? I've tried two different minibores and neither like the heat.

Streamline microbore, never had any problems in 3 or more years.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
I have L5's set up and find the temperature output they give pretty good, I might try a fogwash one day.  The running costs for the L5 are low about £4 a day for 650 litres running at silly temps.  I'm using brodex heavy duty microbore but it's 8mm internal, it doesn't blow up but I am sure it could be improved upon. I've not cracked a window yet.

Simon.

wightsurf

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »
I went hot a few yrs back after losing days work due to hose freezing.Time spent
defrosting hose and starting later due to low temps also .I can say those days are long gone  ;D but i am also a luke warm user,its just a keep working tool for me and in thte summer i dont use it at all.So far this winter i still have not used it but i will the minute the temps get low and i wont lose any money due to low temps.
Just think in terms of lost money due to pratting about with frozen hose,hot makes sense  8)

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:05 am »
I went hot a few yrs back after losing days work due to hose freezing.Time spent
defrosting hose and starting later due to low temps also .I can say those days are long gone  ;D but i am also a luke warm user,its just a keep working tool for me and in thte summer i dont use it at all.So far this winter i still have not used it but i will the minute the temps get low and i wont lose any money due to low temps.
Just think in terms of lost money due to pratting about with frozen hose,hot makes sense  8)
Thats one very good point, I lost one day last year from snow.

does this allow you to clean faster ?
Do windows stay cleaner even longer?

You say you use warm water, so would warm water pumped into van be good enough ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

wightsurf

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 08:13:34 am »
The water temp is about 20 the last time i checked it.
If you can keep the tank rapped up to keep the water warm enough then i cant see why that wouldnt work.There are a few here that can help with that.
Does it clean quicker hmmm,it feels to work smoother and easier so it could be quicker.Longer lasting results i would say pure water is pure water so the end result the same.
But i went the heater in van route,you have options here.turn heat up/down when needed.You can pump very hot water over the hosereel to defrost if needed .

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:13 am »
The water temp is about 20 the last time i checked it.
If you can keep the tank rapped up to keep the water warm enough then i cant see why that wouldnt work.There are a few here that can help with that.
Does it clean quicker hmmm,it feels to work smoother and easier so it could be quicker.Longer lasting results i would say pure water is pure water so the end result the same.
But i went the heater in van route,you have options here.turn heat up/down when needed.You can pump very hot water over the hosereel to defrost if needed .

Cheers dude, I will be on the Island at easter, we should defo hook up and have a chat  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 01:36:00 pm »
Interesting post from ALEX/EWAN there!
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:31:56 pm »
I think hot is much better only use hot now with the fog wash find the hoses are much softer and easy to reel in and doesnt cost loads  to run off the gas a 13kg bottle lasts about 6 weeks which I use everyday I wouldnt say it makes me work at a faster pace but does clean off the crap easier so all you cold water users its time to go hot or warm ask Mr Bones hell tell ya !!!!!!!

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »
Hi Alex.

Out of interest what hot system do you use?  As I said before I'm a cheap and cheerful l5 user.

What you say about the surface tension of hot water is interesting, I take it that you are referring to cold water effectively being more abrasive that hot. A point to keep I'm mind though is that hot water acts a lot faster as a solvent than cold. I've found that hot water is faster on maintenance cleans than cold. I also find that the lack of surface tension makes the windows rinse easier, although the water won't cling to the window as easily due to the heat, one of the properties of water whatever the temperature is that it clings to itself, so therefor rinsing is easier. At least that's what I've found.

The only time I find that hot could be slower is when you have oxidised frames, the hot water can then maked the frames start milking again even if they have been cleaned wfp for years.

Simon.

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »
Interesting post from ALEX/EWAN there!

Shame he can't even spell the name of the brushes he sells.

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
All this talk of surface tension is rollocks for our purposes. The difference in speed is down to how fast you can shift a blob of bird poo. In most cases hot will be faster. On maintenance cleans it makes no difference - you still do an identical scrubbing and rinsing action then move on to the next window. The biggest increase in speed would be obtained simply by rinsing on the glass - hot or cold.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »
All this talk of surface tension is rollocks for our purposes. The difference in speed is down to how fast you can shift a blob of bird poo. In most cases hot will be faster. On maintenance cleans it makes no difference - you still do an identical scrubbing and rinsing action then move on to the next window. The biggest increase in speed would be obtained simply by rinsing on the glass - hot or cold.

Exactly!
It's a game of three halves!

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »

Exactly!

I would say it mattered more for our purpose than any other purpose I can think of. We don't use detergents and we want as much of the water we can get off the glass as possible.

Peter

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »
So do you clean glass in a different way with hot water? I don't. Couple of scrubs and a rinse. Can't see me standing there with a stopwatch and timing how fast it dries or how long it takes the beads of water to travel from the top to the bottom of the window.

Window Washers

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:50 pm »
so apart from a hand warmer, can this make more money for the user ?