This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dane

Re: Window Cleaning ... thats a ##it job !!!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:49 pm »
Less people in the know the better lol

very true  ;D

boshravie

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »
I worked as an Aeronautical Engineer for my sins.

Money was very good I have to admit, I was chief design engineer in my department and I was in charge of loads of other slaves like me.  Salary was close to 6 figures GBP and good holidays.  One big problem though, I worked hundreds of miles from home, I saw my wife and kids every other weekend and it put a lot of stress on our marriage.  I decided in the end that I had to choose between my job or my wife and family - I chose my family.

Handed my notice in, my "superiors" (a pack of french kn0b5) went nuts - I was offered just short of £150k a year to stay, I couldn't, I needed my family more than anything.

Came home, met a guy cleaning windows the following weekend cleaning windows of a travel agents in Edinburgh, thought that looks alright, asked him what he thought of his work - fully expecting the usual hate my job reply but got 'love it mate, all the freedom I want'.

I was so took back by his reply I thought I'd give it a go, bought a few hand tools off the net, cleaned my mums windows (for free I may add), took me an hour and to be honest it felt like 5 mins, I liked it.  Asked mum how much her window cleaner charged and she said £15 - thats ok, I can make a living from that.

Got 2 vans, 2 employees and my son working for/against me now.  Ok the money isn't just as good as what I could have been making but I've more than enough to live comfortably, I have no mortgage and never felt so good, so healthy.  My marriage is strong and I get to see the ones who matter to me every day.

You can always make more money - you just need to work smarter, its the other things in life that matter most.

Alan

Well done Allen, very inspiring .

alanwilson

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »
ohh garsh, thanks guys.

but I do mean it - nothing worse than having nothing, I know that - I grew up in a house where we as children, we had very little - I got my first pair of NEW shoes when I was 19, my father worked his backside off his whole life to put food on the table, my mother raised us best she could with so little.  Glad to say my parents are both well and us 'kids' (maybe a bit old to call myself that) all provide for them, just as they did for us.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

david willis

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 07:11:55 am »
Imagine what people say when I tell them 'We train window cleaners'

Ian101

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:39:39 am »
I used to be a used car salesman so window cleaning feels an improvement in status  ;D

could be worse and be an estate agent

Definition of Status = When you buy something you dont want or need to impress people you dont like with money you have'nt got

gary999

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 08:30:13 am »
i make a nice living from working part time hours
yep its a losers job and happy with it

wolfee101

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:12 pm »
some great posts here ;D maybe we should organise a "window cleaners ball" once a year (when its raining)
where we can all get together trads one side wfp the other for a knees up or elbows up if your a wfp windy? ;D

Dane

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
some great posts here ;D maybe we should organise a "window cleaners ball" once a year (when its raining)
where we can all get together trads one side wfp the other for a knees up or elbows up if your a wfp windy? ;D

haha  :)

Phild

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 01:13:08 am »
What a cheerfull thread. I think the common strand is being in charge of your own destiny. No Dilbert Cubes!  :-)

joshem

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 01:58:27 am »
The more people feel sorry for us the more money we'll make... It's like 'our' little secret.

I was watching the draws for the 2012 Euro championships earlier and thought to myself, "Great, I can enjoy that next year; I'll work round the games." I appreciate I only work part-time but even so, what other job would enable you to do that so easily?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 07:59:20 am »
The more people feel sorry for us the more money we'll make... It's like 'our' little secret.

I was watching the draws for the 2012 Euro championships earlier and thought to myself, "Great, I can enjoy that next year; I'll work round the games." I appreciate I only work part-time but even so, what other job would enable you to do that so easily?

That's the bit that I love too.  I can work fairly flexi hours and work it in with whatever my lifestyle is at the time - including but not limited to, football  ;D .
Take today for instance.  In November I worked very hard and it felt like it.  So I've had an easier start to December doing the equivalent of a couple of half days.  I will be going out later today to do another part day.  I will be knocking off around 12.30/1.00 ready to go and see my local team (Crawley) at home in the second round of the cup.  It wasn't so long ago that we would have to play maybe six or seven matches in pre-qualifying to get this far.  Now though, we get entry at the first round stage as a league club.  We should win today (but never take anything for granted) and if we do, it could be anyone next round.  Another trip to Old Trafford?  Nice to dream.  Maybe get them at our place and turn them over this time?  ;D .
Do I hear Archer waiting in the wings?

And as for the money cleaning windows, well it's OK really.  If I wasn't servicing a high level of debt for making mistakes in my personal life a few years ago, I would have quite a nice lifestyle indeed.  As things stand, it is still OK though.  Work hard, live a bit frugally, and it comes right in the end.

H2GoKent

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:05 am »
My perception was changed when I worked in a jewellers about 18 years ago there I was selling watches to snooty people for thousands on very little money but somehow (to my shame) I looked down on the windy.
He was talking to us while we waited to open one day.
He was going to be off for a few weeks and a mate would cover.

Where was he going? Florida.
It was only then that I started to think he wasn't doing this for free.

That planted a seed in my mind to grow later.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Ian101

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »

Im happy to organise a day at Chester Races for next year ... organised something simlair a few years back for Ascot on Ladyies Day and we all hired the top hat and tails then the challange was to see who could bunk into the Royal Enclosure without being shot ... happy to report I managed it along with 1 other but got nabbed after 20 minutes and "removed"  :D

Any takers for Chester Races ?

dazmond

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »
id be up for it ian.im not too far from chester!!nice to put a face to the names on here!!i bet you all look nothing like what i think you all look like!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

bobplum

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 06:37:29 pm »

Im happy to organise a day at Chester Races for next year ... organised something simlair a few years back for Ascot on Ladyies Day and we all hired the top hat and tails then the challange was to see who could bunk into the Royal Enclosure without being shot ... happy to report I managed it along with 1 other but got nabbed after 20 minutes and "removed"  :D

never been...........so thats my excuse to go,im in

richywilts

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »

[/quote

me
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

richywilts

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »
they could have a window cleaners races for people to bet on, winner gets the contract for the racecourse!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Crystal-clear

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 10:59:14 pm »
Best way mate otherwise all those kids will be your competition in a few years lol

my mates a magician they have a magic circle thing going on where no one els can be shown the tricks no friends no family we should have a pole circle lol keep our unique trade a secret too! better for us :)

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 03:06:51 am »
Crystal, in this special circle you want to start do we just show each other our poles and what techniques we use.....sounds abit funny to me  :-*  ;D

wolfee101

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 01:32:01 pm »
they could have a window cleaners races for people to bet on, winner gets the contract for the racecourse!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a  ;D good idea ,chester is a lovely city and fantastic racecourse,