This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee michaelmckenna

New Scrim..Nightmare
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »
Whats the best way 2 soften the NEW scrim," Grade A" quick as possible, so we can use it to work!!

CLEANCARE WC

Re: New Scrim..Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »
boil them. stick them on a boil was in machine 2 or 3 times
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »
I used to use them on frames and sills when they were new, then hot wash them. I use microfiber cloths these days.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

bobby p

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
i use the new ones to wipe the sills on my van to break them in then wash them a few times then back on the van sills ,floor ,then wash etc

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
fanks i hv boiled washed them now 3 times in a row, still smearing the glass n not very good, leaving smears..

using them as sill cloths 2 start of with, gr8 idea,

Microfiber, how to u rate them, ive heard, u need so many more of them as they get soaked very quick??

Lee GLS

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »
how are you drying them? dry them in tumble dryer after each was that livens them up.

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »
Tumble dry . . it will now be...ta
am i making the mistake in not washing them wi any wash powder or conditioner??

Lee GLS

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
no need for powder or softener, will still take a few washes though. I dont like microfiber for wiping edges, scrim is much better, microfiber is great for leaded though

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:42 pm »
fantastic, thanks so much

Avo

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
40cm x 40cm glass cloths from paragon trust me these are better than scrims and made for glass cleaning and I detail my windows with them.

When scrims are damp it's very hard to reduce the hazy marks left behind on glass they look ok until the sun shines

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:04 pm »
Paragon.......who is your supplier buddy..sounds good
n how to u wash them

Jackal

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:21 pm »
i just wash with small amount of powder no conditioner tho,unger microfibre are brill for leaded much quicker but yes they do get wet quicker so i use scrim for my small openers,im breaking some new scim in now a pain at first till the loose fibres are removed prob best to use as frame and sills for a few days first as they take about a week break 1 in

Avo

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:07 pm »
Paragon microfibre and look at the glass cloths 40cm I promise you there great

Did scrims for 7 years until buying these. Even rubbing down leaded glass there awesome!!

Normal wash at 40 but you can wash at 90 if there needed

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »
Thanks Jackal...

Up here in Bonny Land lol... Scotland, well in my run, not much lead windows... fankfully.... going to get some to try, nothing ventured nothin gained eh

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »
have we gone back 7 years with this post? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bin the scrim and get some microfibre cloths!the flatweave blue ones or the large unger microwipes(snot green ones!).

they are far superior to scrim.buy them in packs of 10.they will last you years!!you can use them straight out of the packet.no breaking in and no cloth fibres on the windows!!

i have 1 scrim left from my trad days.hardly gets used unless its a very damp day.i wont be buying anymore as theres no need for them  plus the scrim you get these days is nothing like the tough thick stuff i used to get in the early 90s! ;D ;D ;D

if you want to keep hold of em.boil them in a large pan or boil wash in machine then use them as sill cloths for a few weeks and theyll be ready to use for detailing and buffing little openers.

never use fabric softener when washing scrim or microfibres.just a little bit of cheap washing powder will do!! ;) ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

lee michaelmckenna

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »
dazmond.....fanks good advice

Lee GLS

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18:24 am »
Microfiber is horrible for normal blade work, they get we far to quickly, and they need replacing after a year, try doing leaded windows with an old microfiber cloth then do one with a new microfiber cloth you will see the difference, they loose their ability to absorb properly.

You can't beat a worn in standard scrim for blade work, you just can't!!!

Avo

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:25 am »
Microfiber is horrible for normal blade work, they get we far to quickly, and they need replacing after a year, try doing leaded windows with an old microfiber cloth then do one with a new microfiber cloth you will see the difference, they loose their ability to absorb properly.

You can't beat a worn in standard scrim for blade work, you just can't!!!
I couldn't I agree more microfibre cloths don't work on detailing glass they wet it more but these are not standard microfibres there 70% polyester 30% polymide try a few there under £1 each. No more smears on glass again!!!

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:57:59 am »
i think your talking rubbish guys!microfibre cloths are great.last ones lasted me 2 years.ive got the unger microwipes(large ones).great for detailing and buffing little openers.
price higher/work harder!

Avo

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:02 am »
i think your talking rubbish guys!microfibre cloths are great.last ones lasted me 2 years.ive got the unger microwipes(large ones).great for detailing and buffing little openers.
That's correct daz  ;D we are talking sense lol... That's what I use there the same as the unger microwipes made by paragon