This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Londoner

Re: New Scrim..Nightmare
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:33 am »
Excuse me for being a pedantic old git  but scrim is not intend for drying. It is intended for buffing (shining to use the old window cleaners word). If people still used shammys, which they dont because they don't know how to you wouldn't ask these questions. You could use one shammy all day to do your drying off/ detailing then a little tickle with the scrim to buff off any marks.
Instead now they smear the windows trying to dry them off with wet scrims. Microfibre is very good but you only use it like you would a shammy and you can't wring it out in the same way. 

But don't bother listening to me, nobody else does

Avo

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:14 am »
 ;D

wightsurf

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:25 pm »
What ones do you get on the paragon site.I cut my scrims in half .
What would you recommend please ?

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »
Well im with Dazmond I only like the flat weave microfibres the other almost fluffy or bobbly sort for want of a better word are only fit for sill cloths.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Avo

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »
What ones do you get on the paragon site.I cut my scrims in half .
What would you recommend please ?
I buy the 40 x 40 glass cloths in green as the my microfibre cill wipes are blue  ;D god I'm starting to sound OCD now lol.

wightsurf

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »
Thanks AVO
My cill cloths are blue also lol

Soo vince Green

Would you care to explain the shamy method
I like the idea of one shamy all day being a tight git  :D

paul saunders

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:54 pm »
Excuse me for being a pedantic old git  but scrim is not intend for drying. It is intended for buffing (shining to use the old window cleaners word). If people still used shammys, which they dont because they don't know how to you wouldn't ask these questions. You could use one shammy all day to do your drying off/ detailing then a little tickle with the scrim to buff off any marks.
Instead now they smear the windows trying to dry them off with wet scrims. Microfibre is very good but you only use it like you would a shammy and you can't wring it out in the same way. 

But don't bother listening to me, nobody else does

Eh, what's that, did you say something.   ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »
I think some of you guys need to buy some high quality flat weave microfibres. Seriously.

Londoner

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »
Thanks AVO

Soo vince Green

I like the idea of one shamy all day being a tight git  :D
You buy a GOOD quality shammy and soak it in clean water, then wring it out really tightly, MEGA tightly, and give it a few flicks.like you are cracking a whip. Use it for detailing or drying off but when it starts to get wet wring out the same way again.

after you have used the shammy the glass should be dry, maybe the slightest hint of haze,a quick buff with the scrim removes any drying marks that may be lurking or forming.

Maybe twice in the day re-wet it in the clean water to freshen it up and remove any soap residue.

You have to break in a new shammy because it will contain chemicals from the tanning and some lanolin because thats what they use to soften the leather. When its grey its perfect.

Am I the only window cleaner left who started out using a shammy?

Jackal

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »
i use both unger green microfibre and scrim and always carry 1 of each, microfibres are brill but get wet way to quick else i wouldnt bother with scrim,but 1 or 2 scrim can last all day and i dont have problems with them leaving any bits or marks on the windows unless direct sunlight beaming on the glass,either way they are both great cloths to use

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
I preffer the HUCK towell, I found a load in a bin whilst on holiday in the U.S.A.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Jackal

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 10:01:21 pm »
I preffer the HUCK towell, I found a load in a bin whilst on holiday in the U.S.A.

;D

wightsurf

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »
Cheers,going to give the shamy ago.
Umm who sales them  ;D

Got to see how it used to be done I think ,never know
to you try it .

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:04 pm »
microfiber is fine in summer but its to damp here in scotland to use for long,grade b srim is the only srim i buy.works much better than b for me. :)

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:44 pm »
40cm x 40cm glass cloths from paragon trust me these are better than scrims and made for glass cleaning and I detail my windows with them.

When scrims are damp it's very hard to reduce the hazy marks left behind on glass they look ok until the sun shines
i can clean windows with one damp scrim and they r perfect

wightsurf

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
I can clean all day with a scrim.But I can clean hell of a lot quicker with a dry scrim.time is money   8)

johnny bravo

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:42 pm »
i use 2 scrims, 1 to clean,  the other dryer one     to finish off.     sometimes i feel like using one       some do

paul kitchiner

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
Have just ordered them glass cleaning 40cm microfibres from paragon. Will see how they go. Hope they work, lot cheaper then a scrim. Got 10 for £13 including p&p

petemg

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 10:35:46 pm »
hi ya :) with all this wet weather i would not bother detailing, any mistakes you make will  soon be washed of ;D,

trevor perry

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 09:10:11 am »
Thanks AVO

Soo vince Green

I like the idea of one shamy all day being a tight git  :D
You buy a GOOD quality shammy and soak it in clean water, then wring it out really tightly, MEGA tightly, and give it a few flicks.like you are cracking a whip. Use it for detailing or drying off but when it starts to get wet wring out the same way again.

after you have used the shammy the glass should be dry, maybe the slightest hint of haze,a quick buff with the scrim removes any drying marks that may be lurking or forming.

Maybe twice in the day re-wet it in the clean water to freshen it up and remove any soap residue.

You have to break in a new shammy because it will contain chemicals from the tanning and some lanolin because thats what they use to soften the leather. When its grey its perfect.

Am I the only window cleaner left who started out using a shammy?

Hi Vince
   i totally agree with you, the trouble is most window cleaners dont know how to use a shammy and scrim they either have shammy too wet and this leads to scrim getting wet then they havnt got the ability to wring scrim dry enough so this ends up with them leaving the windows a mess and blaming the equipment they are using, when i first started window cleaning my dad wouldnt give me a squeege for 12 months, he insisted i shammy and scrimmed everything this included large windows in university buildings when heavy smoking was allowed he called it character building for me ;D
   I do think microfibre cloths are brilliant for some jobs though, on maintenance internal cleans they are brilliant espeacially if just removing fingermarks from internal doors or from office windows where there are lots of papers on sills, i find them only good if windows are done regularly if windows are dirty or not don regular enough then i dont think they are much use.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt