Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevegunn

Stainguard
« on: January 20, 2004, 06:36:15 pm »
Just had customer who wanted new suite stainguarded she has been quoted £15 from someone in local paper gave her my price and she nearly choked this other guy said he will give her a 12 month guarantee for £15.When i asked what he uses she said he would not say only that it was guaranteed ::)

John_Flynn

Re: Stainguard
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 06:56:27 pm »
Don't lose sleep over it Steve, he'll soon be gone charging those prices!!

Guy in my local paper cleans a suite and any 2 carpets for £49.00 dry in 2 hours and with a Protective finish!!

My customers laugh at his ad, GREAT for my business.
I get better looking each day!!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 07:40:47 pm »
Hi Steve

It would be interesting to know what happens when see puts a claim in on his so called insured stain protection.

regards Nick

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 08:52:22 pm »
Where do you buy stain protection so that you can do a suite for £15 and make a profit.  

Or am I buying from wrong places,

Derek

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 09:25:42 pm »
Ian

Don't worry.... you are buying from the right places

Its a scam....through and through

Derek

Tony_Browning

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:55:15 pm »
Didn't you know!!!!Your wasting so much money.

All you do is add 1 part hot water to 10 parts cold water and shake it all up...then spray onto 3 pcs...works a treat....HAHAHAHA!
and I will clean all the carpets in your house for free.....with a "30 year anti soiling Guarantee!!!"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'(
Rgds
Tony
Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire.
"A Local Company with a Passion for Exceeding Expectations"

Alex

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 10:57:44 pm »
Can I book you in for next week Tony  ;D

John_Flynn

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 11:26:33 pm »
Where did you learn MY Formula, Tony.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I get better looking each day!!

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 12:10:24 am »
poop
I was only doing 7 parts water.No wonder the stains were not coming out.Thanks for the tip.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 01:49:43 am »
let that customer go, you will find others that will spend the correct amount with you.

Protector has never been so cheap but £15 is approx what it cost to protect an average suite with a water based teflon treatment, so if he wants to work for nothing it will leave you more time to concentrate on finding good clients and also tie him up with non profit making time!

But to answer your original question it's a scam or bad workmanship ask to do a free check to see if it's doing what it is supposed to be doing or ask for a copy of the warranty.

How much do these warrantees work out at? I bet it's not £15 (and you still have to buy protector on top of this price)

Shaun Ashmore

Ps I charge £16 and the warranty lasts as long as it takes to leave the premises or until urine smell starts to get air bourne from the new suite.  

Derek

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 08:18:15 am »
Hi Shaun

I moved away from water based protectors a few years ago when a fabric I was treating suddenly changed colour.

I knew that it was the protector causing my problem but didn't know exactly what is was reacting with at the time.

I have since found out that the water based protector I used affected an acid sensitive dye in the fabric. I have since discovered that the use of these dyes are widespread.... may I respectfully suggest you check the pH of your protector

Kind regards
Derek

*paul_moss

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 11:22:09 pm »
Derek
What protector do you now use.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:56 am »
thanks Derek for the advise but it was meant as a joke, I prefer the solvent based for upholstery but still use water based for carpeting, or do you mean rogue dye stuffs in all items?

I spoke to John Flynn about protectors and he mentioned that Paul Pearce recommended water based on suites and solvent style on carpets but this was for Alltec promite protectors.

What do you think?

Shaun

SteveTruman

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 12:42:01 am »
I think the best way is to tell the customer to stay out of the room as the protector is not good for you . Go in  with a mask on and pump up sprayer under arm , and sup the coffee = £15...... Or show what you are going to put on , (Tissue Test) explain the plusses of having it done and charge £100+ ............ Major suite outlets charge approx £150 for a suite to be protected ,has anyone seen them actually protect them and if you have purchased a suite recently you will notice that you dont get the guarantee until your suite arrives ( 3month later ) and in the small print it covers JACK S**T...  

Regards

Steve

Alex

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 01:01:47 am »
Totally agree with you steve about what it covers.

Derek

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 09:51:13 pm »
Hi Paul/Shaun

I have always used a water based product on carpets and they work fine providing the correct amount is applied per square yard/metre.

I have used water based protectors on suites and found them OK...until about two years ago that is.

That's when I had a wonderful beige suite go pink on me overnight.  ???

This is not uncommon (not all mine...only had the one that was enough)  but we didn't know what was causing the reaction.

It is only within the last couple on months or so that I have found that some dyes used in the manufacture of fabrics are sensitive to acidic products ...(cleaning chemicals and protectors)
I think that all the water based upholstery protectors are on the acid side which I always thouigh was great as it was assumed to be safe on acid dyes....some of the dyes are not acid dyes!!

Aren't these fabric manufacturers wonderful?  :-/

You cannot test for this on site unless you test one day and return the following day.

I now always stick to solvent based protectors for upholstery...BUT...how long before solvents are withdrawn as carriers for fluorochemical treatments under H & S laws?

Regards
Derek

rob_s

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 11:16:07 pm »
Hi Derek,  
                Would a solution of Bi Carb reverse a pink suite back to its original beige, if acid sensitive.

Regards  Rob-s ???          

Derek

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2004, 06:09:13 pm »
Good guess Rob ;)

rob_s

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 12:38:56 am »
Hi Derek
          Does this mean an acid rince will turn fibres pink. ???

rob-s ???

Derek

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 09:50:29 am »
Hi Rob

If Direct dyes are used in the manufacture then it will be a distinct possibility....make sure you leave the fabric (usually natural fibres) in a neutral state.
Alkaline cleaning chemicals can change them to a lovely shade of green.

Ain't' it fun being a carpet/upholstery cleaner.

Derek