Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rob_s

Re: Stainguard
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 04:59:57 pm »
Hi Derek
          could you tell me how to reverse these conditions of colour change.

What is a direct dye and how do you identify it.

Thanks  rob-s ???

Derek

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 06:07:22 pm »
Hi again Rob

The simple fact is you can't tell whether Direct dyes have been used unless you carry out the correct laboratory tests...these will be way outside the capabilities of most cleaning technicians.... including me

With colour changes caused by a chemical reaction they can often be reversed by using a corresponding opposite pH chemical
i.e. if it is an alkaline reaction from a chemical with a pH of 9 then you will neutralise it by using an acidic solution to the value of pH 5 (both 9 and 5 are two digits away from the neutral 7 on either side of the pH scale)

Derek

rob_s

IRe: Stainguard
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 08:00:19 pm »
Hi Derek,
        When you applied a protector to a suite it turned pink. Did you use an alkali product for it to return back to its original colour and if so ,was this impeded by the protector. ???

Thanks rob -s

Derek

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 09:12:41 pm »
Rob

I will be honest ...at the time (about three/four years ago) I didn't know about this particular problem and I thought it may have been a reaction between the water based acidic fabric protector and a Fire retardant back coating.
The pink staining was extensive and didn't respond to any of the alkali solutions I used trying the reversal process at the time.

Although I knew it was a chemical reaction problem I couldn't come up with a definitive explanation and It resulted in an Insurance claim.

It was only late last year when I discovered that the Direct Dyes were the problem...since then I have given advice which has resulted in two suites being rectified.

I have tried a variation on the rectification process on cushions which have changed colour through the use of a water based acidic fabric protector most but not all have responded

Regards
Derek