Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

justin 88

Rotary machine on domestic carpets
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:14:32 am »
hi,

i use a numatic npr1515 with a well worn shampoo brush to agitate presprays on nearly all carpets, wheather they are minging, or pretty clean. i find it quick and effective. However, on a certain other topic posted on here (  :-X) i have read that a rotary machine can damage carpets? have i been lucky so far as i have damaged no carpets or is there anything i should be aware of before i get my ol' rotay out? ;)

any advice much appreciated!!

jasonl

Re: Rotary machine on domestic carpets
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:57 am »
I would keep the carpet wet , and do not stay in one spot too long . 

I have used up to 400 rpm  with no problem , there are a lot of myths about the speed that can be used with a rotary.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Russ Chadd

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:40:40 am »
Spoke to a fella yesterday and he uses a bonnet on his rotary to work in the MS pre sprays.. says it works a treat and once extracted he then uses another pad to aid drying... i thought it was a great idea and low risk seeing as a pad is less likely to damage the carpet

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:12 am »
Justin,
The trick is recognising carpets that won't come clean without agitation, as agitation, especially with a big machine like yours can shatter the pile fibres and thereby damage it. You need to make sure the brush has been lubricated with your pre-spray before it goes on the carpet as dry brushes are a lot more aggressive. Personally I wouldn't do this on every carpet as it is most definately over kill. A normal 15 inch carpet brush is often all that is required for agitation on most carpets and then only scrub the ones you have to.

Simon

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:45 am »
Hi Guys

Link to Rotovac http://www.carpet-cleaning-equipment.net/cleaning-methods-carpet-warranty.html

Now I know they sell attachments for HWE but I don't think one can argue with the basic prmise that rotaries do distort the pile.

Lubrication is key to prevent pile distortion.

Cheers

Doug

jasonl

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59:16 am »
That Rotovac article says  that rotary methods CAN distort pile , not that they will .

An experienced and trained operator will not do this , in the same way that an experienced and trained HWE operator will not overwet a carpet   ,causing equally bad damage to a carpet backing .

I know it is easy to produce studies to assert any viewpoint ( goodness knows Chemdry produced plenty supporting bonnet methods)  I think it is a case of common sense , lubrication and proper care being taken.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:20 am »
A few years ago I had a get to together at my house and we put a rotary dry on a wool carpet with a black pad, used it for  2 minutes then looked, we could see no damage at all. I'm not saying this is proof a rotary is safe to use only that it's not all black & White.

I used a rotary with a hard scrub brush (a lot hard than a shampoo brush) for 10yrs and in that time I only created one problem with it and that was swirl marks that were still visible after cleaning.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Is rotary cleaning not the preferred method used by the biggest carpet cleaning organisation in the world over the past 20 plus years.

Personally I used a Texatherm system with great success and only gave it up as it's a heavy machine and my already wrecked back was not coping.

I would love to have got my hands on one latest o/p machines which are proving highly popular in the US and Canada.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:59 am »
Hi Guys

The largest carpet manufacturer in the world bans the use of Rotaries.

A skilled operator can clean a carpet with a rotary without damage but unskilled cleaners of which the vast majority of people who clean carpets, particularly in offices are, will damge the carpets, hence the ban.

Cheers

doug

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
Cylindrical type machines, Sebo Duo, Flexi 5 etc are a much safer option and rotary scrubbing only when you really have to.

Simon

peter maybury

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:19:57 am »
c.r.b. machines are not only safer but also far more effective than rotaries. If you have a well worn set  brush on a rotary it will do very little other than abraise the surface pile. the idea of agitation is to open up the pile to distribute the prespray so it will come into contact with the soiling. I think that most pro' s would invest in one of these types of machine if they are serious about what they are doing.
Very often people will not invest in equipment by convincing themselves that what they are doing is right a rotary cannot be compared to a crb machine in effectiveness. Rotaries are great for hard floor and bonnet cleaning the brush is just another attachment. A lot of people have not yet fully got into the importance of this part of the process in cleaning carpets.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

robert meldrum

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
Were rotaries not used in carpet cleaning long before h/w/e ..............There are two companies I know of who have both been using rotaries since the 1940's and continue to do so today with evolved machines and products.

I'd be interested to know of any long term testing that's taken place in possible wear/damage caused by cylindrical type machines on carpets.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:35:54 pm »
Robert,
Idoubt you would find any evidence of damage from cylindrical type machines as the brush the carpet more nuturally with the pile as opposed to rotary which gets it from all angles,

Simon

wynne jones

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 01:05:23 pm »
Hi Guys

The largest carpet manufacturer in the world bans the use of Rotaries.

A skilled operator can clean a carpet with a rotary without damage but unskilled cleaners of which the vast majority of people who clean carpets, particularly in offices are, will damge the carpets, hence the ban.

Cheers

doug

Doug is right. You also have to show that you have had it cleaned periodically with HWE. They recommend certain equipment that has achieve the 'GOLD' seal of approval. They then slightly let themselves down with having the Rug Doctor on the list of approved appliances.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

robert meldrum

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »
I've used both Simon and I fully appreciate the POTENTIAL damage from incorrect use of rotaries, but with the current popularity of cylindrical machines and the suggested need for aggressive agitation I can't help considering  what might result from over aggressive use.

Wynne

How much of the UK market has Shaws nowadays.

wynne jones

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:12:20 pm »
No idea Robert I suspect not a lot. I use a rotary all the time on commercial and never ever had a problem and never ever had anyone bring it up as an issue. However if you are marketing HWE over padding it would be something to talk about.

I use it domestics as well, but that's when it's required and sensible.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

peter maybury

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »
I have used rotories on carpets for years without any problem what so ever. They are no where near as good as a contra-rotating brush machines for aggitation. The brushes on a rotary get set in the direction of the rotation of the disc and unless they are changed they become far less effective.
It is a bit like comparing a holloway upholstery cleaner with with a von scrader there is no comparison although people with holloways will disagree, anybody that has compared the two things side by side can quite easily see the difference.
I have both methods and the rotary will fallten the pile in swirls where as a crb which has a totally different design criteria will lift the pile and fring out lots of crud, sand, grit etc which the rotary will not. Any body wishing to see the two methods side by side is quite welcome to come and see for themselves.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Paul Moss

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »
A few years ago I had a get to together at my house and we put a rotary dry on a wool carpet with a black pad, used it for  2 minutes then looked, we could see no damage at all. I'm not saying this is proof a rotary is safe to use only that it's not all black & White.

I used a rotary with a hard scrub brush (a lot hard than a shampoo brush) for 10yrs and in that time I only created one problem with it and that was swirl marks that were still visible after cleaning.

Your getting old Mike your memory is fading  :D, it was a red pad and I timed it for over 3 minutes ( dry) on a Axminister.  Vry little damage noticed at all.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »
Get a Cimex it hits them from all angles.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:25 pm »
Always fancied a Cimex.

Comparing it to HWE on commercial carpets, where would you mark it out of 10?

Also, you need to vaccum after you've Cimex'ed the carpet. After an hour or two? i.e. once you've cleaned the area, or does it need to be done the next day?

I've seen a few youtube videos and it looks like a great system! And very quick!