Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

GB Window Cleaning

my winter plan
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:06:06 pm »
so this is gonna be my first winter with my new van mount and this is what i plan to do...

1) quilt the 350 ltr tank, the van mounted ro, the van mounted resin vessel.

2) have an electric fan heater on the lowest setting facing all the above equipment.

3) use plumbers pipe lagging on the hose from outdoor tap to the van and lag the waste hose from the van to the drain.

4) and finally cover the outside of the van with a tarpaulin

so will this do the trick? let me know your thoughts please!

thanks

george

the bfg

Re: my winter plan
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29:46 pm »
just an oiled filled rad for me

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:38:51 pm »
just an oiled filled rad for me

whats better about an oil filled rad as appossed to a fan heater? cos nearly everyone on here seems to use oil filled rads!

thanks mate

george

scud

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 02:43:54 pm »
  alot cheaper to run an oil radiator than a fan heater.

the bfg

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »
with a decent oil filled rad they have a thermastat which you can set to come on when the temp goes below a certain number.

defo worth a look on ebay at some

gary999

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
last longer and cheaper to run

Steve_c

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »
Oil filled radiator, and i always make sure i'm filled up by the time i go to bed so i can disconnect the fill hose and the drain hose as this will freeze.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
Most fan heaters come with a frost setting which was fine for me. Guess the heat in oil filled lasts longer though.

I have heaters availiable for the van, can use hot from the trailer, can fill with warm if needed and have a backup trolly and tubs system if I need to bring it inside.

I also have a little bit of ladder work each month to keep the Business acc topped up.

My winter plan is to get as much £'s in the bank as possible. I'm at the point where I have enough stashed in the business account to pay me the wage I need up to and including 5th Jan, which pleases me greatly.

It's simply a matter of being organised.

I quite like the idea of seasonal work, blasting it in summer and ease off for late autumn/winter.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »
I would not trust one of them fan heaters blowing at a quilt likely too set on fire!

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:35 pm »
I would not trust one of them fancy heaters blowing at a quilt likely too set on fire!

I wouldn't have any heat source and a quilt in such a confined space, esp if there are chemicals in the van. If using heat keep any material out of the way.

sparkleglass

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:03:36 pm »
put a sheet over everything and a  oiled filled rad on a timer does me  ::)

H S and Son

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 04:54:47 pm »
Apparently it's going to be quite balmy this winter, 28 °C degrees at night and more than that in the day. Wouldn't worry about it til it happens cos it won't change nought. ;0)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »
some great advice there thanks alot.

think i'll get an oil filled rad then, any link or suggested make/models?

hmmm, interesting what you say about fire hazard with the quilts! might just use the oil rad on its own and forget about the quilts?

maybe throw a tarporline over the whole van too, to try and keep the weather off the van a little and maybe keep some heat in the van

thanks people

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »
Apparently it's going to be quite balmy this winter, 28 °C degrees at night and more than that in the day. Wouldn't worry about it til it happens cos it won't change nought. ;0)
Depends who you listen to, scroll down to approx 3 topic down Winter forecast 2011-12
http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

sandy

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:36:28 pm »
get ma wullie warmer oot and ma fleece kilt

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »

hmmm, interesting what you say about fire hazard with the quilts! might just use the oil rad on its own and forget about the quilts?

maybe throw a tarporline over the whole van too, to try and keep the weather off the van a little and maybe keep some heat in the van

thanks people

Argos £30 - 3 power settings and thermostat.
It's a game of three halves!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »

thanks people
The quilts will be fine with an oil rad this is what I did last year and it was fine, trouble with the fan heaters is that your blowing hot air as where the oil rads let the heat off slowly.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »

thanks people

Argos £30 - 3 power settings and thermostat.

sounds good gold, think i'll get one

thanks mate

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »

thanks people
The quilts will be fine with an oil rad this is what I did last year and it was fine, trouble with the fan heaters is that your blowing hot air as where the oil rads let the heat off slowly.

oh right yeah, i know what you mean there! thanks

zimzam

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 07:54:53 am »
Depends who you listen to, scroll down to approx 3 topic down Winter forecast 2011-12
http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

all bollox.no one knows the weather that far in advance.  ;D