This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SPE

Re: my winter plan
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:33:15 am »
If you are going to go to the effort of heating a van overnight, I'd have thought the most important thing would be to insulate the inside of the panels and roof else you are not retaining any heat and just wasting it ?

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:07 am »
Last year I kept 2 van frost free in December hoping the weather would warm up so we could get out. It didn't. I recon it cost me about £60.00 in electricity and we never did get out because of the snow and cold.
If we have another winter like last year I will drain the vans down, drain pumps, filters and hoses and let the vans freeze up.
An airline onto the hose reels should push the water out and the little left in wouldn't harm the hose if it freezes.

Spruce.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

SPE

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:36 am »
Last year I kept 2 van frost free in December hoping the weather would warm up so we could get out. It didn't. I recon it cost me about £60.00 in electricity and we never did get out because of the snow and cold.
If we have another winter like last year I will drain the vans down, drain pumps, filters and hoses and let the vans freeze up.
An airline onto the hose reels should push the water out and the little left in wouldn't harm the hose if it freezes.

Spruce.
agree with you
the main thing that stopped me working was the road conditions after snow
I cant run a lead out to my van because I live in a flat and street parked (ro and di is indoors) so heater was not an option.
I lag hose and pump and just drain the system.
I take my most often used waterfed pole indoors along with my backpack and if too cold for first hour or so I fill backpack from tank outlet and use that for the first few jobs.
Vary rarely did it remain too cold to be able to use the van system by mid morning and if it did well I'd rather not be working anyway.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:04 pm »
with a decent oil filled rad they have a thermastat which you can set to come on when the temp goes below a certain number.

defo worth a look on ebay at some

is one like what your talking about bfg?...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152318/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CHeaters+and+radiators%7C14417957/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417957%7COil+filled+radiators%7C14417968.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

it says its got frost protection and a variable thermostate (whatever that means?)

SB Cleaning

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:08 pm »
I would go for at least a 1.5 kw if I was you, I used a 800 watt on full power at the start of last year at -5 it cracked sediment, carbon filters and pump strainer and it got a lot colder!!

Llaaww

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »

my plan for the winter
if it is dirty it is fair game

Klean07

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:44 pm »
When and if bad weather comes then book a late deal holiday to the Canaries for a couple of weeks. Or somewhere warmer than here. Makes more sense to take your holidays in the winter rather than summer if you can.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

SPE

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »
When and if bad weather comes then book a late deal holiday to the Canaries for a couple of weeks. Or somewhere warmer than here. Makes more sense to take your holidays in the winter rather than summer if you can.
as long as the airports not closed  ::) :D

lee_dewing

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »
After the last two winters and seeing all them poor s0ds stuck at the airports pre-xmas (last time) i would never book a holiday abroad between november to february.

Were i live in essex we got of light compared to alot f the u.k
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »
I would go for at least a 1.5 kw if I was you, I used a 800 watt on full power at the start of last year at -5 it cracked sediment, carbon filters and pump strainer and it got a lot colder!!

oh right, what is your new oil filled radiator?

thanks for the advice mate, saves me learning the hard way!  ;)

george

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:11 pm »

so you also have your ro and di in your van sb? its nice to finally meet a fellow 100% van mount windy!

Pure Glass

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »
Ditto

I bought a 2kw oil heater from argos yesterday. Next step is top decide whether to insulate and ply then van, or I might build an insulating box around tank, ro, pump, rad and seal together with velcro tabs-5 different demountable panels

Costed at £120 for 5 sheets of celotex.

Roll on nxt spring!!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »

so you also have your ro and di in your van sb? its nice to finally meet a fellow 100% van mount windy!

Yes mate its all van mounted :)

Not sure on the make of oil rad its tucked away at the back of the shed, I  wouldn't be to fussy as long as it gets warm enough mate ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
Ditto

I bought a 2kw oil heater from argos yesterday. Next step is top decide whether to insulate and ply then van, or I might build an insulating box around tank, ro, pump, rad and seal together with velcro tabs-5 different demountable panels.

Costed at £120 for 5 sheets of celotex.

Roll on nxt spring!!

sounds like a good plan mate. have you got a van mounted ro and di? if not if i was you id go with your second option of just insulating the tank!

oh ive just read your post again and i'll assume you have got a van mounted ro and di? in that case might be better to ply and insulate the whole van. might cost a bit more on materials though, timber is not cheap nore are those cavity insulating blocks if thats what your thinking about using?

but maybe you could get away with fiber glass insuating rolls? the kind they use in lofts! i recon it would be cheaper

ive just bought 30 mtrs of the thickest pipe lagging i could find from wickes and a outdoor tap lagging insulator and also for about £3 i got a water tank blanket (water proof).

my plan is to insulate the van walls between the plastic and metal and put one of these same blankets on top of my van and then cover the lot with a Tarpaulin.

oh and use some thick quilts to cover... 350ltr tank in van, r.o in van. and just basically shove as many around the water tank as i can and then finally put my 2kw oil filled rad in there on the frost protection setting  8)

hope this does the trick!?

any advice welcome

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:29 pm »
If you are going to go to the effort of heating a van overnight, I'd have thought the most important thing would be to insulate the inside of the panels and roof else you are not retaining any heat and just wasting it ?

very good point

thanks