This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

Bad payers
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:47:55 pm »
well lucky that i have a few who shirk the paying bit. so now i tend to get the phone number off them and text the day before so they can leave the money. if they dont the i wont clean there windows. whats your views on this

Wc Solutions

Re: bad payers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »
no dosh no splosh!

good on ya mate

stuff the 3 strikes rule

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:50:40 pm »
Sounds ok, but if they keep doing it then perhaps you should dump them and get some more reliable payers.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:58 pm »
texting day before is anoying for you you might end up texting 3 of them  a night each night , what happens if you cant work on that day for any reason, maybe think about replacing them or explain that you cant continue as things are right now!

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:52:59 pm »
my sentements aswell mate stuff em.

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
In Feb I made debtors a top priority as george list was growing ... stopped going to some as was always same names on top of list ... done a few home visits to collect and have a word ref paying on time which seems to have worked .. now wont go beyond 2 cleans and 90% of mine pay within 7 days or so.

I take a look at the debt list every Sat morning and sent reminders to any over 10 days (2 or 3 letters tops)

Also like to keep debts under 10% of round monthly turnover normally about 7 to 8 %

Maybe over the top but hate slow payers and wont tolerate them ... would rather get rid and replace with a fresh customer.

Dave Anderson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:05 pm »
Implement a 'choice' system...if they choose to pay on time great..if they choose to pay late charge a 'late fee' for every payment request.

I charge 5 euro's late fee for every late payment request. The choice is the customers.

Cheers
Dave.
The more I know the less I know I know ...

Jackal

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:26 am »
1 part of my round (1 week) is what i call my crap work,pays the same but for 6 months since buying it im constantly dropping custards what are never in to pay,luckily houses take 20 mins so if i have to drop em its not a lot of time wasted,i dont get this problem on my other work

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:41 am »
well lucky that i have a few who shirk the paying bit. so now i tend to get the phone number off them and text the day before so they can leave the money. if they dont the i wont clean there windows. whats your views on this

You're making it easy for them to treat you badly and break their terms and conditions.  I don't like texting, I phone a few accounts for access, but if they didn't leave me access after I phoned and turned up, I wouldn't go back.

Drop your uncooperative customers (as soon as you can afford to do so), otherwise you'll end up with a round full of them, get disheartened and sack window cleaning.

I'm fairly firm with my terms and conditions and I will remind a customer what they are, why we have them, and that if they wish us to continue with our services, then the terms and conditions of the original agreement need to be stuck to (within reason of course).

Roy Harding

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:36 am »
Tosh is right, when you have a bad or late payer put them on a list to drop, and when you have picked up new work to replace them. Go see them and tell them your not doing them any more and why. They may say they will pay on time in future, then you can make your choice we will see over the coming months or sorry goodbye.

Roy

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:04 am »
tosh out of interest what are your terms and conditions mate?

bad trippy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:07:20 am »

If they dont pay he sends "wor lass" around their houses
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Ian101

Re: Bad payers
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:37:31 am »
Personally think u should drop then replace as u may be tempted to keep giving them another chance .... Drop em then u gotta find a new customer. Dropping them one or two at a time has a tiny effect on ur yearly income however carrying on with poor customers has a bigger financial impact if u don't get paid plus effects ur morale cleaning a wasters windows and u shouldn't allow to effect ur morale IMHO

steve123

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »
I bought some work a couple of years back. prices were not good but I was able to make it pay. had one or two bad payers, I gave them every oportunity but finaly dumped them once I had my cash.

This week I recieved this....

Hello there,

My name is *** ****and I live at ***** *** ***** .

Historically since taking over the window cleaning round from **** you have cleaned our house windows - my wife has then paid you by paying the money direct into your bank account.

For some reason we have not had our windows cleaned for some weeks - I have checked with the owner of the  bungalow opposite who also has you to clean his properties windows - he tells me that you have been coming and cleaning his windows but he had noticed that you had stopped doing our house.

I'm not sure whether you have had a change in employees and we have simply been missed out of late or whether it has been an over-site!

Could I please ask you to drop me an email back to confirm that you will resume the cleaning of our windows once you have read this email or come back to me if there are any problems.

Many thanks for your help...

Kindest regards,

I replied with.....

Dear Mr ********

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that we did indeed used to clean your windows, your account was put on suspension due to lack of payment. During  the period between July 2009 and October 2010 we cleaned your windows 15 times, however we only received payment on 4 separate occasions, twice by cash, once by credit transfer and finally the last payment was a cheque for £35 which was for 7 months cleaning.

I run a small company and my lads all expect to be paid each week which is why I ask for payment to be made within 7 days of cleaning, I felt 7 months was excessive. Despite putting a bill through your door after each clean I had to resort to invoices and letters.

If all my customers took 7 months before settling their account I would be out of business. After looking closely I realised that by giving you credit It was actually costing me more to clean than you were paying so I felt it best to stop.

If you wish us to resume cleaning the cost would have to increase to £8 and I would ask for payment to be made regularly. I realise that for many folk window cleaning is not high on their list of priorities when it comes to bill payments so it can easily be forgotten which is why I introduced standing orders. Many customers now use this and can forget about us knowing we will always maintain the property and we will be paid on time allowing us to stay in business.

Kind regards.

I am still awating a reply  ;D

Tom White

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »

Whatever I agree with the customer prior to the initial clean.  Example:  £10 once per calendar month, would be my basic terms and conditions.  Not £10 per clean whenever the customer wants them done.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:27 pm »
>steve peet

I like that reply of yours (even if your custy cannot spell oversight ;D) - very good!

You've got to be fair but firm  - One lady came over to me today with her disabled son in a pushchair and her little daughter alongside and basically said I hope you don't mind but I forgot to phone you and we're having a new kitchen installed (there was a chippy on the drive cutting worktops and stuff and a couple of vans too) and the extension windows replaced. Do you mind leaving it this time?

OK I could have been my usual chopsie self and insisted on doing the fronts but what with all the dust and electric cables and blocked access I was quite happy to let it go this time.

However the other woman up the road who messed me about twice in a row is dumped.

My rule of thumb is - mess me about once and you're dropped; but if they've been a hitherto good custy with a good track record then I sometimes let them off once if there is a good reason and apologetic attitude.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:07 am »
>steve peet

I like that reply of yours (even if your custy cannot spell oversight ;D) - very good!

You've got to be fair but firm  - One lady came over to me today with her disabled son in a pushchair and her little daughter alongside and basically said I hope you don't mind but I forgot to phone you and we're having a new kitchen installed (there was a chippy on the drive cutting worktops and stuff and a couple of vans too) and the extension windows replaced. Do you mind leaving it this time?

OK I could have been my usual chopsie self and insisted on doing the fronts but what with all the dust and electric cables and blocked access I was quite happy to let it go this time.

However the other woman up the road who messed me about twice in a row is dumped.

My rule of thumb is - mess me about once and you're dropped; but if they've been a hitherto good custy with a good track record then I sometimes let them off once if there is a good reason and apologetic attitude.

"over-site" could also apply  ;D ;D ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:10:52 am »
@ Tosh thanks for the reply mate!  ;)

some good ideas on this thread too!

dai

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:01 pm »
In My experience people don't change, the problem payers will always be problem payers.
After you have dropped them you can take some small satisfaction when you see they have a new shiner, you know he's going to have the same problem.
A warning to newbies here, if a shiner is already doing most of the houses on an estate, ask yourself why he doesn't do all of them.
It's so easy feeling smug when you canvass an estate and pick up half a dozen customers, but don't get carried away until they have paid for three consecutive cleans.

steve123

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 03:39:07 pm »
Well it looks like my letter worked, I have just had this reply.  ;D

Hi Steve,

Apologies for my late response I have been away for a few days.

I apologise for the delays in payment -  my wife said that if she understood you correctly you had said do not worry about paying it each month at five pounds a time but let it build up to around twenty pounds and then pay - that said I appreciate that it went well over that.  I never said that, but I guess she had to say something to her husband so she didnt seem at fault for just not bothering to pay.

If you are happy to do so could I please ask you to resume the cleaning of our windows at xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx - I am quite happy to pay the new rate of £8 - we haven't had an increase in 10 years so an increase is due I'm sure.

In addition to that I will see that you receive payment directly after each clean and that we do not build up a debt with you again.

If you are happy to do so could I ask you to please confirm that you will start cleaning our windows again from the next time you are in the close.

Many thanks.

Kindest regards,

xxxxx