Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Knowing what you know now, would you start carpet cleaning?

Yes of course
80.6%
58 (80.6%)
No Way
19.4%
14 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

MAX Carpets

Would you do it now Poll
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:34:43 am »
This probably applies for more established companies. A bit irrelivant for newbies. I just wondered with all things considered, current climate etc, would you start up a Carpet Cleaning business, knowing what you now know.

For the record I put No Way. I think it would be a nightmare to start now. I started in 1988, and although I am happy with my business I still have slow periods. Although, I could not earn this money anywhere else. But it has taken many years to achieve this. Newbies are really up against it with competition, economic climate etc.

Cheers

Justin

Simon Gerrard

Re: Would you do it now Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:32 am »
Yes, of course I would, especially because of what I know now.
I don't really think things have changed that much over the past thirty odd years. In fact, if anything things have got a lot easier. Machines and chemicals are are cheaper (pro rata), prices for carpet cleaning have quadrupled and there are now 20 million more people living on the island. What hasn't changed is the number of horror stories you hear from people who have fallen foul of carpet cleaners who haven't got a clue what they are doing, who haven't had even a days training and go out there and give the rest of us a bad name. And the excuses for that have also diminished in the same time frame. Now there is an abundance of training courses, the Internet, forums and other knowledge bases that provide no excuse for not knowing what you are doing in the 21st century.
End of rant.
Simon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:51:24 am »
Hear hear Simon

robert meldrum

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:26 am »
If I started up today rather than in the early 1980's I would earn considerably more and would be able to get under way with far superior machinery and chemicals than were available then.

The economy was pretty depressed in the 80's but we still got steady work. It's not so much the economic state of the country that's the problem as fashion fads ( like laminated flooring )and availability of DIY machines which have powerfull marketing behind them.

The other negative is the " lowest price " thinking which does have an impact but not everyone buys at the lowest price ( although a lot of posters on here are always looking for the cheapest supplier of chemicals and accessories ) and get angry when prospects seek a lower price than the one they offer.

Something I recollect from the distant past was .................

Don't try to be all things to all people ...............just try to be the best at your chosen profession. If you're good you will always get work but it still requires marketing.

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:31 am »
carpet cleaners who haven't got a clue what they are doing, who haven't had even a days training and go out there and give the rest of us a bad name

Did a minger yesterday evening,very short notice,2 bed flat,bloke who booked me basically moves into the trashed property ,then does it up,ready for re letting,he was watching me yesterday,and commented on how easy it looked !
Then started asking about the machine,and how much it was.Told him the machine is only part of the process,and there are a multitude of factors that can,trip you up if your not careful,think I managed to put him off.
I would do it all over again,but differently
What goes around comes around

Colin Day

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:30 am »
I'm a bit gutted that I spent nearly £20k on starting up when what I have come to realise is, I should really have paid £14400 for my PPL(H) (Private Pilots Licence) and pursued a career in flying :(

Ah well, no regrets ::)!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:19 am »
Could you not do your airplane lessons a bit at a time? and surely now that you are self employed the cost would all be tax deductable, as you are doing it to enhance your business opportunities out of your usual area? ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:33 am »
My ex brother-in-law used to deliver milk and had done so since he was ten. When he was thirty odd he decided to leave his fathers milk business and pursue a career in flying. He paid £50k to ebventually get his commercial pilots licence and now flies the Boeing 747-400 for British Airways.
Wow!

Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:32 am »
Could you not do your airplane lessons a bit at a time? and surely now that you are self employed the cost would all be tax deductable, as you are doing it to enhance your business opportunities out of your usual area? ;D

How cool would that be? A helicopter turning up to do your carpets... I wonder if HM do a "Helicopter Mount" ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:32 am »
My ex brother-in-law used to deliver milk and had done so since he was ten. When he was thirty odd he decided to leave his fathers milk business and pursue a career in flying. He paid £50k to ebventually get his commercial pilots licence and now flies the Boeing 747-400 for British Airways.
Wow!

Simon

I'm 38 and thought it would be too late. But the lady I was working for yesterday said her husband was 38 when he pursued his flying career.... Certainly food for thought Simon... :)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:59 am »
You could immerse clean rugs with this.................

Helen

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:35 am »
carpet cleaners who haven't got a clue what they are doing, who haven't had even a days training and go out there and give the rest of us a bad name

Did a minger yesterday evening,very short notice,2 bed flat,bloke who booked me basically moves into the trashed property ,then does it up,ready for re letting,he was watching me yesterday,and commented on how easy it looked !
Then started asking about the machine,and how much it was.Told him the machine is only part of the process,and there are a multitude of factors that can,trip you up if your not careful,think I managed to put him off.
I would do it all over again,but differently

Do you really think that he was interested in starting up for himself or was he just taking an interest and being polite? If he can afford to have a rental property....... ???

ianharper

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Colin

you could be in australia as a pilot with a nice rug cleaning plant as a side line by now  ;D

whats the old saying about the gold rush and selling tools to the minners. I hear JK lights his gas cooker with twenty pound notes  ;)

Respect

Ian Harper

Paul Simpson

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
I'm a bit gutted that I spent nearly £20k on starting up

Wow, £20k, no going back once you started then.
Don't think I could have committed that much to start up even if I had it.
I know others have really gone for it usually truckmount, van, etc so the cost would spiral but I started out with £2k albeit had an old van already at the time.
Probably wished I'd spent more on equipment knowing what I know now but hindsight is a wonderful thing  :D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »
It al depends on when you are starting.
If I was starting in the 1980s as I did I would definately have a go. I would have got a TM and gone for the commercial more than I did at the time.
As for now- it would need some careful thought and a detailed business plan with a lot of market research and probably quite a lot of cash upfront.
If I did not have the cash I would preobably look for a 2nd hand mc and do it spare time for a start.

Like most people starting now :)
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »
I think some of us have forgotton how tough it was way back when, let alone now! I was going through some old books, brought back horrible memories!!!!!!

Helen

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »
I think some of us have forgotton how tough it was way back when, let alone now! I was going through some old books, brought back horrible memories!!!!!!

Spooky, just doing a mailshot and going back through old stuff and custies, brought quite a few smiles to my face at some comments we put to make sure we "remembered" the next time :) eg "barking mad couple, but made loads of coffee"..... that sort of thing. Also around our start up time, noticed very big gaps in the work schedules (in between jobs) glad it's not as bad now!
I think I mentioned it at the end of 2008 when there were big signs about the country's finances and I thought then that I wouldn't want to be setting up from scratch then.....let alone now. To be honest I wouldn't want to set up from scratch full stop. :)

Colin Day

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 03:30:48 pm »
I'm a bit gutted that I spent nearly £20k on starting up

Wow, £20k, no going back once you started then.
Don't think I could have committed that much to start up even if I had it.
I know others have really gone for it usually truckmount, van, etc so the cost would spiral but I started out with £2k albeit had an old van already at the time.
Probably wished I'd spent more on equipment knowing what I know now but hindsight is a wonderful thing  :D

I dived right in without asking any advice whatsoever, didn't know CIU existed and thought that my Exel was the best machine money could possibly buy. I didn't even know HM was 15 miles away and certainly didn't know what a TM was. This is despite working for a C/C some years earlier....   

Suffice to say, starting up a business has been a brilliant learning curve, I just wish I hadn't spent so much money doing so :-[

jasonl

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 05:11:58 pm »
I would have invested more in property ,and less in women , rows of terraced houses selling in Middlesbrough at 2k a time , now are snapped up at 70k , got offered a block of 25 in 1995.

Have invested in some plots recently. That is the pension.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

clinton

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »
Colin maybe that would have put you off starting your business if you read up on here first.

You went for it and am sure building up a client base for the future mate.