Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Knowing what you know now, would you start carpet cleaning?

Yes of course
80.6%
58 (80.6%)
No Way
19.4%
14 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Carpet Dawg

Re: Would you do it now Poll
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »
Colin, what did you spend the 20k on? Was the van new?

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »
would you start up a Carpet Cleaning business, knowing what you now know.

To be honest with you I don't know if I would or wouldn't.
Basically it's all about the past. You can't change the past so I don't spend too much time dwelling on it.
What is done is done wether good or bad, the main thing to do is learn from your experiences.
I could have stayed in the Police, been on top whack pay, loads of holiday and 15 years off a good pension. I don't dwell on it, I made a decision and good or bad I'll see it through.

Linds Russell

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »
No regrets for me other than wishing I had not turned down the opportunities given to me every other month for around 8 years before setting up by my very enthusiastic brother in law who owns a successful cleaning business which started off with carpet cleaning around 15 years ago.
Linds

Colin Day

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »
Colin, what did you spend the 20k on? Was the van new?

It was actually £19k I got as a lump sum from the Navy. The van was £6k and the rest was wasted on things like YP (Nearly £2k) Thomsons, new computer, really really expensive leaflets £400 for about 5000 :o (from a local printer), exel, scrubba, second hand exel back up and loads of other rubbish....

Easy come, easy go I suppose. The next batch of cash I received for my medical pension went on moving house and buying a triple vac.... 2 good moves :)

If I had the cash now, I'd buy this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRUCKMOUNT-VAN-Carpet-Cleaning-Machine-/280636193797?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item4157387c05#ht_2362wt_1139

Paolo

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 07:29:13 am »
I came back into the cleaning industry about 4 months ago and I am having no difficulty finding work.

Already have 2 full time staff and 2 vehicles on the road.

My day is spent quoting and organising and very rarely cleaning but I am of course more than happy to help the guys out.

It is general cleaning rather than just carpet cleaning and is 95% commercial.

I am not going in cheap and take a fair amount of time at the quote process explaining this fact and building in the "value" I offer.

I feel the same amount of work is out there, you just need to look a little harder and be pro active in your sales approach.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 10:07:07 am »
Around 20 yrs ago I had the chance to by a 4 b/room house for 6grand being cautious I didnt jump in and do it [[ a regret ]]
Spent the best of 20 years in engineering M.O.D and aerospace work before comming into the cleaning business for other people.
It took me and my partner 4 years before we jumped in with both feet told our bosses a few home truths and started up on our own in 2008 nearly 3 yrs later we have weeded out the better letting agents and have a steady flow of work from them in carpets cleaning and E.O.T cleaning, and have now returned back into the Fire and Flood restoration side of things.
So the only thing I have regrets about if any is that we didnt start sooner.
The down turn in the economy has made it a [[ lowest price madhouse]] but as Ive seen said before its how you sell yourself at the end of the day

Regards Mark