Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nameless Drudge

My pump doesn`t stay stopped
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:24:31 pm »
Shurflo pump(no pressure switch) with digital controller(Brodex built in but its probably a Varistream)

It cycles every few seconds when i stop the flow and thats whether its connected to the reel or not,bloke at Brodex said it was normal. Makes no difference if the flow or pressure setting is adjusted low or high so its consistent.
          I just thought it ought to shut off and stay off until i start the flow again but it has always behaved like this. Flow stopped, then the pump stops then it starts for a couple of seconds and stops and just continues this cycle until the flow starts again,i can understand whats happening and i was thinking maybe the pump internals cant hold the pressure,seems a waste of battery power and wear and strain on the pump so if this is or isn`t normal could anyone clue me in?

Re: My pump doesn`t stay stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:07 pm »
Whats it calibrated at?

Additionally, have you got air in the system?

paul saunders

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »
Mine is exactly the same (shurflow / varistream) and it does the same as yours. As far as I know this is what they do.  ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Lee GLS

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:54:19 pm »
i havnt got a brodex setup, but i do have a shurflo pump with a controller and it does the same, it cycles every couple of seconds, its normal, on my controller it flashes DE ( dead end detected), its basicly the pump getting ready to be in use again, mine does have a pressure switch, and eventually the pressure switch does cut in and the pump stops, but if you dont have a pressure switch it wont stop.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »
I have been running at  "e" as i have 100m of 6mm microbore,came set at "c" but been messing today at "b",low flow 1 and 2 and high flow,makes no odds,i would like it to stop and stay stopped,seems its normal though.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:12:49 pm »
Cheers for the replies,i`m not happy with the way the pump behaves,if i want to stop cleaning at the back of someones house and start talking/drinking tea etc.  it just doesn`t feel right to know the pump is working away under stress basically.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:07:42 pm »
Cycling the pump can reduce its lifespan. It should stay stopped,.. perhaps clicking in once every 2 or 3 minutes just for a moment to boost pressure.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »
Anyone got a shurflo with varistream digital controller that stays stopped for at least a good bit of time as Mr. Jones describes ?

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »
Sean what have you got it calibrated at? When I asked that before I didnt mean what do you run it at. There is ANOTHER setting to conisder with a pump and controller. This is the calibration setting which determines how sensitive the cut off point is once water stops flowing (when you turn your pole hose tap off or simply disconnect your hose)

Off course there could also be air in the system, whcih can be compressed (by comparison to water, and therefore the pump runs continually)

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »
Calibration setting set up instructions requested,been swotting up on here about the digi-varistreams but havn`t a clue what you mean. Please inform.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:14 pm »
Calibration setting set up instructions requested,been swotting up on here about the digi-varistreams but havn`t a clue what you mean. Please inform.

do u mean how you re cal it?

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »

do u mean how you re cal it?

Dont know nothing about cal or re-cal.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »
to re cal is easy just pressed the down arrow and the enter button  till cal comes up and then press up till u get to what u want  i use 45  adn then press enter and it should reset its self

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
Well thats the adjustments i have been playing with ,i have settings a to f and have set it each time on a different one(switched off then on for that setting to be stored),then on each setting i have adjusted the flow rate to the least and then the highest(,the pump behaves exactly the same on any combination of settings.Does seem other people have the same behaviour and the bloke at Brodex said its normal, but is it? Its not brodex kit,its a shurflo pump and digi-varistream with brodex written on it.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
Anyone got a shurflo with varistream digital controller that stays stopped for at least a good bit of time as Mr. Jones describes ?

Yes, me. ;)

It stops dead, then just every now & then it will click, not even a full turn just to nip up the pressure.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 12:36:36 am »
Well thats the adjustments i have been playing with ,i have settings a to f and have set it each time on a different one(switched off then on for that setting to be stored),then on each setting i have adjusted the flow rate to the least and then the highest(,the pump behaves exactly the same on any combination of settings.Does seem other people have the same behaviour and the bloke at Brodex said its normal, but is it? Its not brodex kit,its a shurflo pump and digi-varistream with brodex written on it.

Sean

You don't just have A to F in the pressure cut of settings. You also have 1 to 9. Crazy I know but the setting for pressure on the Digi varistream go-----

123456789ABCDEF       

1 being lowest & F being the highest.

I reckon you might have the cut off set too high. If you have any leaks whatsoever in the system including the reel, even a drip, at this high setting the unit will pick it up & compensate the loss of pressure by cycling.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 12:48:37 am »
I think the term "calibrating" is being used in the wrong context here also. The pump pressure settings are factory calibrated, you are just selecting & changing between the values on offer.

You are changing the setting & not recalibrating it. ;)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:49 am »
mine cut out and stops dead never had a problem always done this .

have you wired it up probaly or was it fitted by somone else.???

was the pressure switch disconnected from the pump.?????

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 08:42:27 am »
Same as Winpro, as has been mentioned any air in the system and it will  keep pressurising, poor quality hose too will keep expanding and any leaky connections will have the same effect.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:30 am »
I`ll be having another dabble shortly,was pretty sure i didnt get an option of numbers with the letters though as in it went down to a and then wouldn`t go under this,only upwards back to f. I can take hose reel etc. out of the equation as the tank is plumbed internally and has a water outlet that is plugged into to get flow. So i have everything disconnected and the pump switched on and just 2 foot of pipe inside behind this from the pump outlet.  Oh forgot the di circuit,anyway i will be minutely inspecting the lot. Got a feeling this is electrical. There is no pressure switch on top of the pump.