This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomCrowther

Re: My pump doesn`t stay stopped
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 11:23:43 am »
You may have a slight leak along the line somewhere. I had a similar problem and found by taking the various fittings apart, adding some tape and rejoining all was ok after that.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »
Well thats the adjustments i have been playing with ,i have settings a to f and have set it each time on a different one(switched off then on for that setting to be stored),then on each setting i have adjusted the flow rate to the least and then the highest(,the pump behaves exactly the same on any combination of settings.Does seem other people have the same behaviour and the bloke at Brodex said its normal, but is it? Its not brodex kit,its a shurflo pump and digi-varistream with brodex written on it.

Sean

You don't just have A to F in the pressure cut of settings. You also have 1 to 9. Crazy I know but the setting for pressure on the Digi varistream go-----

123456789ABCDEF       

1 being lowest & F being the highest.

I reckon you might have the cut off set too high. If you have any leaks whatsoever in the system including the reel, even a drip, at this high setting the unit will pick it up & compensate the loss of pressure by cycling.

I don't have a Varistream but those numbered/lettered settings aren't as crazy as they first seem.  If they needed 15 settings, using A-F for 10-15 is reasonable as it saves using 2 digits for a setting.  If the designer had a computing background and the settings are on a chip, it makes even more sense.  0-F are the "numbers" used in hexadecimal (base 16).  16 is the number of combinations that can be used in half a byte (nybble).  There is probably a circuit board inside and the half byte that is used for this setting is about the four "switches" in the half byte being on or off (1 or 0).
I've never seen one of these things close up.  Can anyone confirm that a chip is used for this?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 12:27:10 pm »
Well thats the adjustments i have been playing with ,i have settings a to f and have set it each time on a different one(switched off then on for that setting to be stored),then on each setting i have adjusted the flow rate to the least and then the highest(,the pump behaves exactly the same on any combination of settings.Does seem other people have the same behaviour and the bloke at Brodex said its normal, but is it? Its not brodex kit,its a shurflo pump and digi-varistream with brodex written on it.

Sean

You don't just have A to F in the pressure cut of settings. You also have 1 to 9. Crazy I know but the setting for pressure on the Digi varistream go-----

123456789ABCDEF       

1 being lowest & F being the highest.

I reckon you might have the cut off set too high. If you have any leaks whatsoever in the system including the reel, even a drip, at this high setting the unit will pick it up & compensate the loss of pressure by cycling.

I don't have a Varistream but those numbered/lettered settings aren't as crazy as they first seem.  If they needed 15 settings, using A-F for 10-15 is reasonable as it saves using 2 digits for a setting.  If the designer had a computing background and the settings are on a chip, it makes even more sense.  0-F are the "numbers" used in hexadecimal (base 16).  16 is the number of combinations that can be used in half a byte (nybble).  There is probably a circuit board inside and the half byte that is used for this setting is about the four "switches" in the half byte being on or off (1 or 0).
I've never seen one of these things close up.  Can anyone confirm that a chip is used for this?

Haven't a clue what you're on about Shiner? ;D

The unit has a TWO digit display & could display in either all numbers or all letters?

Just seems weired to have a chromatic series of parameters which display in both numbers & letters.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 12:47:22 pm »
Been dabbling away,have the 123456789abcdef etc., i have to run at  a or above or the pump will start cutting out and cycling below this and not hold steady flow.Now when i go above a (its cycling at this setting with flow stopped),the cycling gets steadily more aggressive until at d with the flow stopped the pump doesn`t actually stop and the water can be heard agitating inside the pump,i reckon its releasing the water backwards to ease the pressure,at this setting , its got to be able to do something else it would just burn out. This setup i have has two digi-controllers so i have switched them over with identical results. So i am set at "a" with 70m of 6mm microbore,flow rate of my choosing 1 to 9 and its all hunky dory except the pump wont ever stay off for more than 2-3 secs with the flow stopped.

I am hoping the fact that the pump will run continuous at a higher pressure setting with flow off is a clue and maybe someone is going to tell me i have a dodgy diaphragm seal or similar unless i am missing the know how to adjust the cut off sensitivity that someone mentioned.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »
A small one way valve at the pump inlet might help,..

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:31 pm »

I see where your thinking comes from here and worth a try,however just to totally confuse matters its possible this pump has an internal bypass assembly and that would explain it not stopping at the higher pressure when flow is cut-off.

So it will be used as is which quite possibly is how its meant to be.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »
I thought only flowjet pumps had an internal bypass?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

I see where your thinking comes from here and worth a try,however just to totally confuse matters its possible this pump has an internal bypass assembly and that would explain it not stopping at the higher pressure when flow is cut-off.

So it will be used as is which quite possibly is how its meant to be.

I don't know your set up Sean BUT can you not actually see if the pump is set up with a bypass or not? I can't think of a reason why it would if it's fitted with an electronic controller.

6mm hose will always require higher settings from the pump as there is more resistance. To give an example, I have 1/2" hose from my tank to pump & then through two 11ltre DI's then to reel. My reel has 90m of 8mm minibore & my settings are-

Cut off = 7 (6 in summer) & flow = 1.  With these settings matched to my system I get a really nice flow rate with virtually no pressure in the system. It's very reliable & constant regardless of the height of the pole. My pump cuts out approx 5 seconds after I disconnect the pole & restarts almost immediately on re connection, with no big burst of water at the brush.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 02:27:18 pm »
Been dabbling away,have the 123456789abcdef etc., i have to run at  a or above or the pump will start cutting out and cycling below this and not hold steady flow.Now when i go above a (its cycling at this setting with flow stopped),the cycling gets steadily more aggressive until at d with the flow stopped the pump doesn`t actually stop and the water can be heard agitating inside the pump,i reckon its releasing the water backwards to ease the pressure,at this setting , its got to be able to do something else it would just burn out. This setup i have has two digi-controllers so i have switched them over with identical results. So i am set at "a" with 70m of 6mm microbore,flow rate of my choosing 1 to 9 and its all hunky dory except the pump wont ever stay off for more than 2-3 secs with the flow stopped.

I am hoping the fact that the pump will run continuous at a higher pressure setting with flow off is a clue and maybe someone is going to tell me i have a dodgy diaphragm seal or similar unless i am missing the know how to adjust the cut off sensitivity that someone mentioned.

Well you know how to alter the settings Sean by the sounds of it & I assume you know that to "keep" any new setting you must switch the unit off, then back on again using the unit's own on/off button.

Does sound strange though, I mean if you did have a leak, you would know about it by now.

The only other thing I can think is that the pump is sucking air in?  When you re connect your pole after some cycling does the flow spit/cough/fart out of the jets for a while before the flow constant & smooth?

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »
No farting on re-start,everything spot-on. Got a spare shurflo with pressure switch and know this has to be taken out of the circuit if i need to fit it and i might just tommorrow as a comparison. The destructions that come with this show diagrams of shurflo pumps with no pressure switch and an internal bypass and i wonder if these were supplied to Brodex and hence i have one. Theres no shurflo model no. on the pump just Brodex bumf but the specs it does show are the same as the 8000-946-138 which i have bought as my spare.

stephen.b1

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 04:54:44 pm »
i cant believe the advice your being given ??? ??? ??? ???
simply put brodex are correct
a varestream is simply a potentiometer slowing down your pump by reducing the power supply to it
eg, if your pump is rated at 10lpm 100psi @ 5amps and you use a varistream at 50% to pump 5lpm the pressure will also reduce by 50% to 50psi also amps to 2.5 when you turn the water flow off the pump will continue until the pressure in your pipes reaches 100psi and then the pressure switch will cut the power to the pump
after time the valves may ware slightly and allow a very small amount of water to flow back to the tank then the pressure switch will start the pump to boost the pressure back to 100psi

this is normal  :) :)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »
a varestream is simply a potentiometer slowing down your pump by reducing the power supply to it
eg, if your pump is rated at 10lpm 100psi @ 5amps and you use a varistream at 50% to pump 5lpm the pressure will also reduce by 50% to 50psi also amps to 2.5 when you turn the water flow off the pump will continue until the pressure in your pipes reaches 100psi and then the pressure switch will cut the power to the pump
after time the valves may ware slightly and alow a very small amount of water to flow back to the tank then the pressure switch will start the pump to boost the pressure back to 100psi

It should have at least 2 seconds "off" time between cycles:

http://aerocoachinc.com/scripts/pdfretail/get.php?id=286

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 05:21:43 pm »
after time the valves may ware slightly and allow a very small amount of water to flow back to the tank then the pressure switch will start the pump to boost the pressure back to 100psi

I can't believe what nonsense you just wrote! ::) ;D

The pressure is separately adjustable, it DOES NOT return to 100psi unless you have set it to do so! ;)

stephen.b1

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
are you as daft as a brush
the pump will continue until the set pressure is reached by the pressure switch

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
are you as daft as a brush
the pump will continue until the set pressure is reached by the pressure switch

Exactly! That's what I'm saying Bazil ::)

It was you who stated that the pressure would only cut off at 100psi, not me! ::)

stephen.b1

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »
winp this is like watching the blind lead the blind ;D

if a pump is rated at 10 lpm at 100psi and 5amps if you reduce the power by 50% the pump will then run at 5lpm 50psi and use 2.5 amps but the pressure switch will still turn  off at 100psi
if you stop the flow the pressure in the pipes is 50psi the pump will continue until the pressure reaches 100 psi the pump pressure switch will then turn the pump off ;) ;) ;D
exactly what i said earlier ,basil ;D ;D

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »
Am cycling every 4 to5 seconds, i`ve got the orange 8mm hose coming from ionics so will get to play with settings again very soon.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »
winp this is like watching the blind lead the blind ;D

if a pump is rated at 10 lpm at 100psi and 5amps if you reduce the power by 50% the pump will then run at 5lpm 50psi and use 2.5 amps but the pressure switch will still turn  off at 100psi
if you stop the flow the pressure in the pipes is 50psi the pump will continue until the pressure reaches 100 psi the pump pressure switch will then turn the pump off ;) ;) ;D
exactly what i said earlier ,basil ;D ;D

Stephen

You are so wrong my friend. The pumps own pressure switch is bypassed with a varistream.

If what you are saying is true, then what on earth are the pressure cut off settings on a digital varistream which go............ 123456789ABCDE??

Come guys, help me out here ::)

To prove you wrong, if I set my pressure cut off value to 9 my hose end connector leaks with the pressure. When I set it to 7 it does not as there isn't enough pressure build up to make it do so! AND THAT IS ONLY TWO INCREMENTS DIFFERENCE. Imagine if I cranked it up to F.

FFS get a grip!!!! ;D ::) ::)

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 07:15:44 pm »
I think the rheostat has confused itself with a potentiometer rendering the superhetorydene transmission frequency oscillator locked in a positive feedback and unable to synchronise.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »
I think the rheostat has confused itself with a potentiometer rendering the superhetorydene transmission frequency oscillator locked in a positive feedback and unable to synchronise.

I reckon Stephen's ran off with a bright red face!!!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

Pee's me off when numpties jump in trying to make themselves look clever. I've tried my best to try & help you with this problem Sean. Even if I Can't sort your problem it's still frustrating to put all that effort in then Bazil Brush there comes along & throws a bent spanner in the works!!! ::) ::) ;D