This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jarvy

Question about heating elements..
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »
I have been reading with intrest on the water heating elements in the tank ideas,must admit it seems a good 'un. However what i have been wondering is how would i be able to mount an element at the bottom of an upright tank like the one i have?? I can't get my arm near the bottom of the tank to tighten the nut up on the inside of the tank? Or am i just reading it wrong on how they are mounted?
www.wedgwoodcleaning.co.uk

"If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid"

Re: Question about heating elements..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:11:17 pm »
u should just be able to seal it in with the right stuff,  if memory serves me right it should have a nut on it to tighten it

jarvy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:17:06 pm »
I could probably get my arm about half way down inside the tank to tighten it up at best. Don't suppose that would be too bad,just would look a bit odd. Couldn't just seal it in either,with the weight of the water in the tank,and movement of the van moving the water about i can't see that lasting 2 mins before it starts leaking or worse still comes out and there goes all the water !!!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:24 pm »
then i have no idea how to seal it in

geefree

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »
I have a 650 litre ibc,

i simply put it down as far as my arm would reach,

yes , you need the locking nut as well as sealant, underwater sealant from b and q around 7 quid,

it heats all water above the element,   mine is on a timer from 4am until 8am,

then i turn it off mix it up with a stick, or turn the pump on and re-send it back into the tank .... then turn on the element again for an hour.

but to be honest  by the time you get to you first job, the hot water will mix with cold and give you nice warm water all day,

and i have lagged my tank.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »
what locking nut, as when i use to fit them when i was a plumber they use to just screw in,  and i never need a locking nut,  any one got a pic

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:01:45 pm »
what locking nut, as when i use to fit them when i was a plumber they use to just screw in,  and i never need a locking nut,  any one got a pic

A copper hot water tank has a threaded flange pre-fiited.

lozsing

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:11:03 pm »
the £13 mech flange is by far the better option, more stability, helps to disperse heat , easier to fit and also should you need to replace your element in the future it makes it a lot easier.

geefree

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 05:11:34 pm »
well its a mechanical flange really, which can be bought and fitted in a immersion heater, but i used it as a locking nut and seal....

see below....

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating/Central+Heating/Immersion+Heater+Flange+2+14/d230/sd2708/p31429

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 05:15:20 pm »
the £13 mech flange is by far the better option, more stability, helps to disperse heat , easier to fit and also should you need to replace your element in the future it makes it a lot easier.

That's the one I've gone for. Also, if you ever want to take the element out for any reason, you can just fit a threaded blanking plug so your not left with a hole in your tank! ;D

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »
well its a mechanical flange really, which can be bought and fitted in a immersion heater, but i used it as a locking nut and seal....

see below....

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating/Central+Heating/Immersion+Heater+Flange+2+14/d230/sd2708/p31429

That's not a mechanical flange Gazza.

BORBRYCE

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »
The mechanical flange does not have a full through thread, it will not do. You need the round locking flange and a sealant that is heat resistant.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »

see below....

That's not a mechanical flange Gazza.

i know , sorry i changed my toolstation link.... the one above is fine, when used with sealant,

geefree

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 05:38:32 pm »

jarvy

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:09 pm »
How did you feel about cutting a nice big hole in the tank?? If it is not done right 1st time then its game over real quick!!   ;D
One of these submersable heaters like in the fish tanks i have seen people using on here is the quickest solution,but they don't make a powerfull enough one unlike the water tank elements. I have seen a 1000w version,but its quite a lot of cash for what it is. The 3kw elements can be picked up for under £20 (plus extras i know) but it seems like a bit of a faff trying to get it in an upright tank.

geefree

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:30 pm »
Just do it, it wont take long,.. and you dont have a hole in the tank.... its an element blocking the hole,.... when you sell the tank on, get a blanking cap to screw into the flange.

get a 63mm drill bit then use a file or sandpaper to make a real tight fit and it actually sits in the hole very very tightly.

lozsing

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:45 pm »
i used 65mm and still had to ream it out a little

jarvy

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:39:11 pm »
On a 250lt tank,and a 3kw element how hot would the water be after a couple of hours? Too hot or not enough? Just thinking if i did go ahead and do it i would put it on a timer so it comes on a couple of hours before i started work. Or 3 hours or however long it takes to  get hot!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »

So have you used the mechanical flange in your tank then Lozsing?

lozsing

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »
yes done 3 tanks altogether mine and 2 mates