This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

What makes for a successful W/C business ??
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:36:19 pm »
Often hear stats along lines of 6 in 10 new start up businesses fail within 3 years (not sure of exact stats but you know the kind of ones I mean)

So what makes the difference between a sucessful W/C business and those that come and go ??

Also for the long termers how many do you think you have seen come and go ?

Murdie window cleaning

Re: What makes for a successful W/C business ??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:42:33 pm »
Well as still being a newbie myself I think in window cleaning if you are commited to it and are able to do a good job then you will sucseed. If your not cleaning then you should be out pushing for more work. I had no work for today so I spent it out posting leaflets and if I wasn't wathching my kids now I would be out door knocking, but that can be done over the next couple of days.

I dont know how it compares to other types of business as I've never had my own business before, but most people either want a regular window cleaner or know some one who does.

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »
volume of work and motivation.

Don't believe all the crap about not having a business if you don't employ or expand. If you have plenty of work and food on the table and no debt then you have a successful business in my opinion.  

D woods

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
What makes a successful W/C business? Is having more money than all your mates

Sean Dyer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »

Don't believe all the crap about not having a business if you don't employ or expand. If you have plenty of work and food on the table and no debt then you have a successful business in my opinion.  

I agree only volume of work should be quality work as much as possible :)

roundbuilder

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »
set a target for where you want to end up and when you hit that target you are a self made success with a great bussiness.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:47 pm »
You need to be driven to success. It got to be in your nature. Been able to motivate and manage your self. Be pro active and tenacious take hold of opportunities and take charge of your future .Meet preset goals and set more when you have reached them. Know who you are doing this for. All these will make you succeed. I think the stumbling block are all these. As we have seen chaps with all the equipment and still drop out.

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:57:30 pm »
Never set a goal in my life. I haven't found cleaning windows as complicated as that to be honest. In fact it's the easiest occupation I have ever done. I just go out, clean windows and come home. Never door knocked for more than two days, delivered about a hundred leaflets the first couple of weeks and that's it. Work has just come to me easy peasy. Never bothered with NVQ, OSH, GOSH or any other TOSH (although I have joined the Guild - gets me some fancy badges for the van and the chance to chat to the more sensible cleaners from here). I think so many on here over analise the whole business side of things. Commercial work is different but a good return and a successful business is within the reach of most people with half a brain.  ;D

Karl Inskip

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »
Reliability as well!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 06:00:23 pm »
Never set a goal in my life. I haven't found cleaning windows as complicated as that to be honest. In fact it's the easiest occupation I have ever done. I just go out, clean windows and come home. Never door knocked for more than two days, delivered about a hundred leaflets the first couple of weeks and that's it. Work has just come to me easy peasy. Never bothered with NVQ, OSH, GOSH or any other TOSH (although I have joined the Guild - gets me some fancy badges for the van and the chance to chat to the more sensible cleaners from here). I think so many on here over analise the whole business side of things. Commercial work is different but a good return and a successful business is within the reach of most people with half a brain.  ;D

I'll second that. never even been tempted to read "jim's mowing" either! ;D

groundhog

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »
although I have joined the Guild - gets me some fancy badges for the van

Don't waste your money bud!!!  ;)

kevin James

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »
Dave & goals,

don't get you not setting goals!
How do you feel at the end of?
I have targets for each day. I reach them, feel satisfied & am then motivated for more.
10 years in this Biz for me & I look forward to each day. Mind you there has to be purpose to these targets, not justca relentless gain in earnings. I personally don't want yo employ but would gladly lend work to friends for their own personal use.
I think I'm acontrol freak. As long as my fingers on the pulse.

Kevin. 

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »
Dave & goals,

don't get you not setting goals!
How do you feel at the end of?
I have targets for each day. I reach them, feel satisfied & am then motivated for more.
10 years in this Biz for me & I look forward to each day. Mind you there has to be purpose to these targets, not justca relentless gain in earnings. I personally don't want yo employ but would gladly lend work to friends for their own personal use.
I think I'm acontrol freak. As long as my fingers on the pulse.

Kevin. 

What if the goal is not to set any goals ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »
although I have joined the Guild - gets me some fancy badges for the van

Don't waste your money bud!!!  ;)

My £20 badge helped me get a 5k contract the other day. ;)

formb

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:56 pm »
A successful business needs only 1 thing:

More money coming in than going out.

Accountants call this "profit"

Motivation, Targets, Goals.  ::)

All that is middle management chuff which is designed to try and generate "profit"

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:04 pm »
Kev, I just don't see any point in setting goals ??? I go out do the best I can and come home, tot up my earnings, some days are simply brilliant! Other days can be dreadful, it just doesn't phase me. As long as my weekly/monthly earnings are pretty good then I have nothing to worry about, the bills get paid and the only debt is a small mortgage. When I start to struggle then I'll bump the prices up. If I set a target of say £250 for the day and I don't make it then what? Worry because I didn't work fast enough or late enough?
I could earn £300 a day in the summer months if I worked to eight thirty at night but what for? Life's too short.  ;)

I have plenty of work, plenty of money, no goals whatsoever and consider I have a very successful business. Alan Sugar types would disagree. I'm not Alan Sugar and for that reason I'm out!

daz1977

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:22:59 pm »
to me success is having enough money to pay ur bills, spending time with ur family and not having to worry about where ur next wage is coming from

i would rather have a round with 100 custy making enough to have fun, than 12 lads 6 vans and spend all my time worrying and chasing money

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »
Kev, I just don't see any point in setting goals ??? I go out do the best I can and come home, tot up my earnings, some days are simply brilliant! Other days can be dreadful, it just doesn't phase me. As long as my weekly/monthly earnings are pretty good then I have nothing to worry about, the bills get paid and the only debt is a small mortgage. When I start to struggle then I'll bump the prices up. If I set a target of say £250 for the day and I don't make it then what? Worry because I didn't work fast enough or late enough?
I could earn £300 a day in the summer months if I worked to eight thirty at night but what for? Life's too short.  ;)

I have plenty of work, plenty of money, no goals whatsoever and consider I have a very successful business. Alan Sugar types would disagree. I'm not Alan Sugar and for that reason I'm out!
Alan Sugar is not allowed in the den, so your not out.

Will not bother saying my goals as others seem to not like them, can't ever do well at window cleaning, we just earn a bit spend it earn a bit more then die. ::)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

weetot

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

Agreed 100% :)
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »

Alan Sugar is not allowed in the den, so your not out.

Will not bother saying my goals as others seem to not like them, can't ever do well at window cleaning, we just earn a bit spend it earn a bit more then die. ::)

We all die, it's being content in life that counts.

Be happy - die

work your bollox off - still die

Do whatever makes you happy :)