NWH

Re: L5 Heater has just arrived ....
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 05:05:42 pm »
Does the water stay at 000 after the heater.

twt

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:18 pm »
What is the minimum litres/min flow rate this will operate at as this is what causes problems?

tomy jackson

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:16:54 pm »
1 qwort a minet mines sum whear over the pond

jefftemperley

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 06:45:17 pm »
hi nathaneal just read post and ordered a unit witin 5 mins looks just right for a hot water system, could you send me a link to the relay id like to get one too

cheers
bad weather always looks worse through dirty windows

ALAN HAYNES

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »
Got my heater to day had a little time to play with it i think its going to take time to set up to get the heat just right
heater is after di and tds was 000
i also will be looking for a relay

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:45 pm »
I can see you are as keen as mustard, and these heaters will work, but for what it's worth the specific ones that have been mentioned are not robust enough for long term use.

I have disagreed with Nathaneal about this before. The simplest route is a UK legal (i mean eu) heater with a ce mark. It will cost about £300, but it will work forever, and there will no need for fiddling about with mods.

Having a flue is optional, as is a DI. I don't think mounting on a rear door is a good idea.I use car heater hose for the exit from the heater to the reel and I would suggest that you do the same.Put electical tape around the hose lock connection to the reel to stop the torque from undoing it. (the characteristics of a hot system are different and the hoselocks can come undone)

ALAN HAYNES

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:15 pm »
Iam not going to fit a flue as i always work with back doors open

As to how long it will last only time will tell. does not seem much in them to go wrong but havetwo as may run two poles if not will have one for spares

but with out any doubt hot is the way forward

NWH

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 08:26:05 pm »
I was about to buy the varitech heater but i don`t want deisel really i`d much rather have gas,if you look at the concept 02 setup it just looks like the same as above with a flu fitted to the van roof,it just looks like a combi boiler bolted to the back of the tank.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:37 pm »
Yes doors open- but someone mentioned mounting it on the back door. I had one, or something similar, and the issue was about it's turning off as nathaneal has mentioned. That's why he introduced the relay, he has made some other mods too and is a clever guy.

When it's cold (say minus three), or your gas is about to run out and the pressure is low (or a combination of both) the 'brain' inside these heaters can become stupid.If it carries on heating when the flow stops then problems can start.They do have a pressure relief valve and you will hear a hissing, and to turn it off you may have to turn the gas off.

Normaly these heaters work fine, and mine did for many months.You should be able to mount it using wing nuts so that you can switch it in under ten minutes.

Don't worry too much about what i've said i'm sure your heater will work fine.Your heater is better than mine in as much as it has a lower flow. Lower flow is good, and is another mod that nathanael has made.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 08:39:37 pm »
That L5 heater mentioned above,how long do you think it would take to fit fully up and running.

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:13 pm »
Whether you mount it in the back of the van, or on the rear door - I can't see any difference really. :-\

I'm doing it partly as I have limited room, and the rear door offers an area to mount, as good ventilation.
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

Rob.Hall

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
Wont the wind effect the operation of the heater if it is on an open door?

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49:14 pm »
I used those things they sell in wilkinsons for shelveing, a bit like mechano bits. Two longer bits running downwards and two running across, this H shape is bolted to the van, and the heater is bolted to this.This stands proud from the side of the van so there is a void and therefore no need for any insulation. If you have these parts and the nuts and bolts it can be done in under an hour. Once you've done it once, it's more like twenty minutes.

Rob- yes. And it's probably illegal.(doors move etc)

NWH

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 08:50:44 pm »
I used those things they sell in wilkinsons for shelveing, a bit like mechano bits. Two longer bits running downwards and two running across, this H shape is bolted to the van, and the heater is bolted to this.This stands proud from the side of the van so there is a void and therefore no need for any insulation. If you have these parts and the nuts and bolts it can be done in under an hour. Once you've done it once, it's more like twenty minutes.

Rob- yes. And it's probably illegal.(doors move etc)
What you mean from cold to hot in an hour. ???

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 08:59:20 pm »
you've already got a system, you mount a heater and put a hose lock on it from the pump going in and one out to the reel, whats so hard?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »
Does the water stay at 000 after the heater.

Yes
What is the minimum litres/min flow rate this will operate at as this is what causes problems?

The L5 runs at .95 litres per minute minimum
That L5 heater mentioned above,how long do you think it would take to fit fully up and running.

If you've got all the bits and pieces,.. about 20 minutes. Allow half a day as you'll prob need at least 1 trip to B&Q for something!
Wont the wind effect the operation of the heater if it is on an open door?

These units are made to be fitted in outdoor area's, so can handle some wind. On a really blustery day you might have problems. ALL these heaters are fitted with a "flameout" sensor that cuts the gas supply if the flame does fail.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 09:50:18 pm »
Do you just wire it up to the second battery then,and what about the gas bit don`t you need someone that knows what there doing. ??? ???

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:58 pm »
That heater has a 17 minute automatic safety cut off on it. Wouldn't that be a pain in the backside to work with on large jobs?

steven ainger

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:56 pm »
Do you just wire it up to the second battery then,and what about the gas bit don`t you need someone that knows what there doing. ??? ???

it doesnt need to be wired to a battery, it only uses 2 aa style small batteries to fire the ignition.
the gas bit, is just a propane bottle that you use on a patio heater and it just connects to a fitting at the bottom offt he heater.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 07:36:47 am »
could somebody please put up a wiring diagram or explain exactly these should be wired up with a relay to only work when the pump is on cos I'm thinking of getting one of these too it looks a very good idea