sunshine windows

Re: Under Cutting
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
Mick, I wouldn't change supplier of goods if it was of inferior quality, regardless as to how cheap it was.

Top quality service at a price you think is fair, that's all you need worry about.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Jack Harris

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:22 am »
I have enough work anyway its just annoying that people are that desperate, good luck to them see how long they continue to work for prices that low.

home6442

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:09 am »
Mick, I wouldn't change supplier of goods if it was of inferior quality, regardless as to how cheap it was.

Top quality service at a price you think is fair, that's all you need worry about.

You would if it was all you could afford.
Not everyone takes the cheaper option because of greed they do it to balance the budget.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10:09 pm »

You would if it was all you could afford.
Not everyone takes the cheaper option because of greed they do it to balance the budget.

I understand what being said here, but it's not a good comparison.
Food is requirement to live, windows being cleaned is a choice.

IMO people will keep a cleaner once they trust him regardless of whether they can save money by changing, it's the fear of change and the fact people buy people.
There is no fear in where I shop, although I am intimidated by the posh tarts in Waitrose and really dont like the smell of the unwashed in Aldi, although Aldi is the cheapest place to shop.
I use Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda just for a change although I keep the same bloke to mow my lawn.

Art

Joseph Michael

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:41 pm »
This is a great topic and keeps coming up, and in time peoples responses have changed. The one thing most window cleaners always used to say was to never undercut to get the work, but because of the economic situation and people having no work, there is a lot more competition out there from new window cleaners and customers shopping around. It would be great if there was an across the board price that everybody could stick to but there isn't. Everybody has to start somewhere and if at first you have to work for a lower price to get the work then so be it, but most serious window cleaners seem to build up to a decent level of work and income and then lose the low paid jobs, and so the cycle continues.

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 04:39:49 pm »
most decent customers will simply not switch to a guy who they dont know to save a few quid!!

it simply doesnt happen.not on my round anyway.ive been window cleaning 18 years and never lost a customer to an undercutter.

IF your regular,reliable,do a good job for a fair price and you ve been going for a few years you wont lose even one customer. ;) ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

gavinb

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »
I lost one last week for 50p !!!

roundbuilder

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »
most decent customers will simply not switch to a guy who they dont know to save a few quid!!

it simply doesnt happen.not on my round anyway.ive been window cleaning 18 years and never lost a customer to an undercutter.

IF your regular,reliable,do a good job for a fair price and you ve been going for a few years you wont lose even one customer. ;) ;D ;D

regards

dazmond

A lot of the time im guessing they dont tell you you have been undercut. Surely in 18 years you have had some unless you undercharge on everything. If you have never been underpriced in 18 years then you are not charging enough. Price higher work harder your signature says. I believe in price higher and work smarter.

Window Washers

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »

regards

dazmond

A lot of the time im guessing they dont tell you you have been undercut. Surely in 18 years you have had some unless you undercharge on everything. If you have never been underpriced in 18 years then you are not charging enough. Price higher work harder your signature says. I believe in price higher and work smarter.
totally agree,

Dazmond you must be the only window cleaner in the world thats not lost a customer to someone undercutting.

Work smarter not harder all the way  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 05:58:09 pm »
ian its true!ive never knowingly been undercut to my knowledge in 18 years!

i have lots of good priced work as well as cheaper very very compact 3 bed semi work.

of course ive lost customers due to moving,dying,skint and lost job etc but NEVER to anyone charging less. ??? ??? ;D ;D

its a case of better the devil you know.most people have been messed around by flakey window cleaners so when they find a good solid one then they dont dump them for someone they dont know/trust.
price higher/work harder!

home6442

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »
Ive never lost a custy to undercutting.
You guys are right I need to put my prices up.

JandS

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:49 pm »
Surely price higher work the same... ;D
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

lee andrew

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:02 pm »
I try to gain custom with out treading on toes (very hard to do) but when i price up i do so to the price im happy with, so far i have got work that is vacant but this year im going to give it my all and go full time i.e. im looking for 300+ customers so im bound to price other peoples work, but it will be a price im happy with not to steal a job. In all fairness everyone has probably undercut without knowing

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »
I try to gain custom with out treading on toes (very hard to do) but when i price up i do so to the price im happy with, so far i have got work that is vacant but this year im going to give it my all and go full time i.e. im looking for 300+ customers so im bound to price other peoples work, but it will be a price im happy with not to steal a job. In all fairness everyone has probably undercut without knowing

Good post Lee.

Whenever I have canvassed, if told they have a window cleaner already, I never ask what they charge, so never try to take another guy's work. I just look for customers who want my services. Good thing is, that there are a few windys in my town, and not only is there enough work to go round,but customers tend to be very loyal as well.

John     
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

roundbuilder

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:10 pm »

Good post Lee.

Whenever I have canvassed, if told they have a window cleaner already, I never ask what they charge, so never try to take another guy's work. I just look for customers who want my services. Good thing is, that there are a few windys in my town, and not only is there enough work to go round,but customers tend to be very loyal as well.

John     

Ooooo what area is that john??  :-X

Johnny B

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »

Good post Lee.

John     

Ooooo what area is that john??  :-X

Mick, I am in Tralee in the South West of Ireland.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

roundbuilder

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
Damn miles away. Id have snuck in there if a shortage of window cleaners.

C o z y

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 07:01:18 am »
This is a great topic and keeps coming up, and in time peoples responses have changed. The one thing most window cleaners always used to say was to never undercut to get the work, but because of the economic situation and people having no work, there is a lot more competition out there from new window cleaners and customers shopping around. It would be great if there was an across the board price that everybody could stick to but there isn't. Everybody has to start somewhere and if at first you have to work for a lower price to get the work then so be it, but most serious window cleaners seem to build up to a decent level of work and income and then lose the low paid jobs, and so the cycle continues.

Good post
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Joseph Michael

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:10 am »

Good post

Thank you Mr Bacon

This subject really does interest me as I do all my own canvassing and there are a lot of people out there who say things like - 'No, its ok, I already have a window cleaner. . . . . eeerrr  well, what do you charge.?'

No matter what any window cleaner says, there are always one or two that may change because of price, but also they are right in saying that these customers are best not having, well, thats waht I believe. I also want to get to the stage where I am pricing high, but fair. So, that both me and the customer are happy with the price AND the work.
So, what do you answer to the above question?

Well, how much are you paying at the moment?

Are you happy with your current window cleaner (price/standard of work, reliability).?

I charge 50p a window sir/madam.

I charge £5 a window sir/madam.

Its ok, I don't want to upset your current window cleaner (I have seen the brute hahahaha).

Its ok, I don't want to take someone on who would be looking to change again behind my back.

If I could do it cheaper do I get the work?

roundbuilder

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:06 am »

Good post

Thank you Mr Bacon

This subject really does interest me as I do all my own canvassing and there are a lot of people out there who say things like - 'No, its ok, I already have a window cleaner. . . . . eeerrr  well, what do you charge.?'

No matter what any window cleaner says, there are always one or two that may change because of price, but also they are right in saying that these customers are best not having, well, thats waht I believe. I also want to get to the stage where I am pricing high, but fair. So, that both me and the customer are happy with the price AND the work.
So, what do you answer to the above question?

Well, how much are you paying at the moment?

Are you happy with your current window cleaner (price/standard of work, reliability).?

I charge 50p a window sir/madam.

I charge £5 a window sir/madam.

Its ok, I don't want to upset your current window cleaner (I have seen the brute hahahaha).

Its ok, I don't want to take someone on who would be looking to change again behind my back.

If I could do it cheaper do I get the work?

Spot on. Im the same. If they are not happy with there current wc then who am i to not take them on as my own customer.