Paul Coleman

First WFP job lost
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:29:48 pm »
Well I did a first clean on a house yesterday and got a phone call today cancelling - and saying that he's not paying.  He said there were spots, water marks, a piece of bird's mess and he reckoned I hadn't done the back door.
Spots and runs maybe.  I did scrub hard on some birds mess though and it looked like it had gone from ground level.  As for the back door - I know I did that.
The bit that peed me off was that he wouldn't let me put the job right. Fair enough not paying if I've done a c rap job but an opportunity to put it right would have been more reasonable.  I would have done it the trad way to make sure I got a close-up view of where I went wrong.  He doesn't like the fact that his dog goes ballistic while I'm there is the reason given for not wanting me back.  Pity he didn't think of that to start with.
This WFP lark is going to take a bit of getting used to for me I think.  The windows involved are very new ones as they were only fitted a few months ago.  They didn't seem to want to sheet at all and just kept beading up.  I did get it out of the customer that he used washing up liquid on them when he cleaned them a while back.  I suspect that the glass was coated too.  It's not so much doing a bad job that bugs me - though I do try to work to a reasonable standard.  It's more to do with not being allowed back so that I can figure out what went wrong.  Without that, it can be hard to learn new stuff.

macleod

Re: First WFP job lost
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:44:34 pm »
i had a similar experience
old bloke doesnt think wfp can clean windows hence doesnt want windows cleaned using wfp.

however you are better off having customers that 'love' wfp than are dubious about it. the dubious ones always moan - and do you relly want to have to pacify a moaning goat....?

anyway upshot was i said if it left a mark i wouldnt ask for money... the windows were perfect - but i still dropped the house...

there's so much work dont worry... you will probably pick up a house thats worth double!

kev

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:45:50 pm »
I know it's hard but don't let this one bother you. He is a bad customer I think. Any reasonable person would give you the chance to put it right.

Chin up and move on.. for every bad one like him WFP will get you 2 or 3 good ones.

Andrew

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:01:00 pm »
i have found that old men dont like wfp.

old laddies do like wfp .

this is because old men think that it should be done with ladders just because thats the way its always been done (victor meldrews).

old ladies like the fact that you are useing clean water to wash thier windows and not the dirty water you have used on lots of house before them.

i have found that young profesionals dont need convinsing as they know how important H&S is in the work place.

old men dont like change.

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

macleod

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:05:47 pm »
he he he

its true

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:08:44 pm »
Stay with it shiner.

It's true, everyone who has expressed doubt to me has been male. I had a (male) customer who told me that he was concerned that his thirteen year old mastic around his windows would suffer with me splashing water over it and could I do it the 'old fashioned way.' Who knows the age of their mastic on their property I ask you?

Regarding the beading problem, I can normally still get a good finish on first cleans on new windows if I scrub like a nutter and rinse rinse rinse. However I do take 45 minutes on an average first clean (14 windows). Third week of wfp and it does get better.  I could have cried on the first week..honest. I was at one customers house for over two hours after the frames would not stop milking down the panes. I think as long as you show that you want to do a good job then you won't have any problems.

I sent letters to all my customers warning them of the change (I only have a small round). Then on the first clean I would tell customers to let me know if the finish was not good and I would come back and rinse them again. I had two callbacks who both offered to pay me again! Haven't lost a customer yet.

On the plus side I picked up two more customers who saw my highly visible pole and trolley and inquired about it. It was actually three but one was the mother-in-law so that doesn't count. Come to think of it, she still hasn't paid me.  :(

gsw

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10:31 pm »
how many times has it been said on here, drop them anyway, good customers aren't hard to find, good window cleaners are!....... I dropped 1 moaner on tuesday and picked up 3 new ones yesterday!
let the moaning g i t go through four or five more wc's until he gets himself a reliable regular service!

classic

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 09:36:06 pm »
what i do is this ,
                        when i first clean wiht wfp i include with the bill a leaflet explaining how the system works  etc .also a questionaire  .(please return with your cheque ) asking the following 3 things,

1 are you happy with the new system of cleaning     y n
2 are there aspots on the glass  y n
3 are the frames noticably cleaner  y n

+any other comments

this puts the onus on the punter to make an inspection and also gives them the oppurtunity to make constructive comment or otherwise . i have had 98% positive comments
 this information can then be used positivley ie in a marketing way

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 09:43:49 pm »
I just got a job today £140 a fortnight because of wfp .
I would not of touched it otherwise it is mostly first floor windows and half of them are georgeon.

I did it 6 weeks ago and had given up on getting the contract then the confirmation came through today .It took me 4 hours on the first clean and reckon i can knock 30 mins of that tommorrow.

Dave

gaza

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 10:02:27 pm »
shiner:tell him to go for a walk and chill out,cus shortly he will not ave a w/c who does it  trad.[believe me you are going in the right dirrection] isnt  he BRETT,PITY WE DONT LIVE CLOSE ENOUGH TO GO DO IT ON THE SLY EY BRETT,love to see his face when we put a letter through his door stating damage repaired and stick your money,Ijust love people who carnt see the wood for the trees.Shiner:head towards any 3 storie buildings that are being built everywhere and you will be amazed at the welcome you get of the owners of them.2 visits to new building sites 3 new building sites on my books,my flyers are going in their welcoming pack and the women in the marketing suite is giving me the nod when they move in,do their show home and two patio doors for £38 squid 12  windows + dooors now that higher priced than London :P but they have to use a cherry picker if Iwasnt able to do them,over keen h/s rep Im in his good books cus he reconds he can have a extra cup of tea when Im on site ;D

Dont say sorry to anyone,just do your job to the best you can and walk away with you head held high,if they dont like it, get rid they will soon be replaced.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 10:24:34 pm »
what i do is this ,
                        when i first clean wiht wfp i include with the bill a leaflet explaining how the system works  etc .also a questionaire  .(please return with your cheque ) asking the following 3 things,

+any other comments

this puts the onus on the punter to make an inspection and also gives them the oppurtunity to make constructive comment or otherwise . i have had 98% positive comments

Classic - you're a brave man!
It's a game of three halves!

brett walker

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 11:22:19 pm »
I've only just finished my first cleans with water fed and had no cancelations yet, starting my 2nd clean tomorrow. 8)

Everyone ive spoke to seems happy so far, picked a customer up today traditional with ladders only 3 windows upstairs, she told me her last window cleaner had a wfp she did not want her windows cleaned by the wfp methord again.  He had made such a mess - puddles of water everywhere mud drips all down her door, i explained he was probably not doing it right or some kind of cowboy!
Told her when it is done correctly you have excellent results but she has made her mind up no wfp, it just goes to show if it is not done properly it puts customers off big time. :'(

I will continue to clean her windows traditionally as i consider myself wfp and ladders-  different tools for different jobs ! with safety in mind  ;)

regards

Brett

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 11:25:48 pm »

I will continue to clean her windows traditionally as i consider myself wfp and ladders-  different tools for different jobs ! with safety in mind  ;)

regards

Brett

With safety in mind? With dosh in mind more like! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

brett walker

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 11:35:54 pm »

regards

Brett

With safety in mind? With dosh in mind more like! ;D
   ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 02:43:37 am »
I know it's hard but don't let this one bother you. He is a bad customer I think. Any reasonable person would give you the chance to put it right.

Chin up and move on.. for every bad one like him WFP will get you 2 or 3 good ones.

Andrew

I don't have an issue with his complaint.  I am a novice with WFP and he probably had a fair point re spots and water marks.  I would even have put the job right and not charged him.  It's a matter of professional pride.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 02:44:57 am »
i have found that old men dont like wfp.

old laddies do like wfp .

this is because old men think that it should be done with ladders just because thats the way its always been done (victor meldrews).

old ladies like the fact that you are useing clean water to wash thier windows and not the dirty water you have used on lots of house before them.

i have found that young profesionals dont need convinsing as they know how important H&S is in the work place.

old men dont like change.

Belinda

Funnily enough, the customer I refer to is quite young.  (Victor Meldrew jnr. )  ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 02:48:22 am »
how many times has it been said on here, drop them anyway, good customers aren't hard to find, good window cleaners are!....... I dropped 1 moaner on tuesday and picked up 3 new ones yesterday!
let the moaning g i t go through four or five more wc's until he gets himself a reliable regular service!

He will be doing them himself apparently.  No problem.  I've kept my side of the street clean by offering to put the job right free of charge.  I was going to suggest that he donate the price of the job to a charity but he wouldn't let me put the job right.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 02:51:04 am »
what i do is this ,

+any other comments

I don't have a questionnaire but I do have a brief info sheet explaining the basics of WFP and why I now have to use it.

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 01:06:26 pm »
you will get complaints 9 times out of 10 when using wfp domesticaly.

i only use the wfp on commercial contracts unless the domestic job you are doing has no alternative other than the pole   (difficult access) and even then you have to make the customer fully aware of the end result of the pole work, that way they cant complain as you have informed them of the advantages and disadvantages of the wfp.

for window cleaners who use the wfp out of sheer laziness then you cant really moan when you start losing work  ::)
stay safe and never take risk's

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 01:06:57 pm »
double post.

H h20

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 01:09:57 pm »
I use wfp on both commercial and domestic,been using for 6 months not one complaint,i am the best window cleaner money can buy,i don`t do complaints i do compliments,Gaz

Justin Ruggles

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 01:15:06 pm »

I Started with WFP only nearly 2 years ago and 95% of my round is Domestics, they love it and I pick up more work daily from using it. Yeah I have lost the odd one or two whom dont like the system, but gain so many more whom do like it.

Its all about using the system correctly nothing else, you get bad squeegee users as well as bad wfp users. Use the system correctly your have a very good round which I think i have proved.

Justin

H h20

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 01:17:12 pm »

I Started with WFP only nearly 2 years ago and 95% of my round is Domestics, they love it and I pick up more work daily from using it. Yeah I have lost the odd one or two whom dont like the system, but gain so many more whom do like it.

Its all about using the system correctly nothing else, you get bad squeegee users as well as bad wfp users. Use the system correctly your have a very good round which I think i have proved.

Justin
Exactly right,use your tools right and you can`t go wrong,Gaz

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 01:18:38 pm »
I use wfp on both commercial and domestic,been using for 6 months not one complaint,i am the best window cleaner money can buy,i don`t do complaints i do compliments,Gaz
;D

i suppose it depends on what type of customer you have, the old biddies are the worse they moan about everything, whereas the younger ones are more easy going ::)

H h20

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 01:21:11 pm »
;D

i suppose it depends on what type of customer you have, the old biddies are the worse they moan about everything, whereas the younger ones are more easy going ::)
Yes i do agree the younger customers are easier going but my older customers are wiser and like the safer approach,Gaz

Justin Ruggles

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2005, 01:25:53 pm »
The two that I lost due to the system where middle aged, One did not like the idea of the windows wet when I left, the other was due to oxided frames which 50% my fault as I was new and did not really no how to over come this problem, but now I can clean these types of frames no problem.

I also found the old girls love it and really imbraced the change, they where really impressed due to the frames as well, and how clean the windows where afer.

Now the young ones dont really care how you clean the windows as long as they are clean after.

Its down to the way you approach the customer at the end of the day.

Justin

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 01:41:52 pm »

i only use the wfp on commercial contracts unless the domestic job you are doing has no alternative other than the pole   (difficult access) and even then you have to make the customer fully aware of the end result of the pole work, that way they cant complain as you have informed them of the advantages and disadvantages of the wfp.

for window cleaners who use the wfp out of sheer laziness then you cant really moan when you start losing work  ::)

I'm wondering how anyone could use WFP out of laziness.  I find it much easier working the traditional way - leaded and Georgian excepted.  Even on domestic windows where ladder access was unsafe, I found myself using an Unger pole and backflip before.  I see you've put a smiley in there.  Nearly had me going  :) .  I guess laziness is a relative thing really.  Any type of window cleaning can be hard graft.  Easy compared with when I used to be a builder's labourer but harder than most jobs.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 01:50:48 pm »

Point taken.  I'm wondering if I need to spend a bit of time with someone who's got a lot more WFP experience than me.  I did spend a day with someone a while back and it was very helpful.  However, if I do this a bit more, the wider range of tips I can pick up.  I will be going back to my ladder next week temporarily.  Not because of one complaint but because I've fallen behind with my workload. I made up my mind before starting this that I would revert to the ladder early on if I got behind too far.  Ladder work is still a lot quicker for me - though I do feel a bit out of practice now.

H h20

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 01:56:40 pm »

Point taken.  I'm wondering if I need to spend a bit of time with someone who's got a lot more WFP experience than me.  I did spend a day with someone a while back and it was very helpful.  However, if I do this a bit more, the wider range of tips I can pick up.  I will be going back to my ladder next week temporarily.  Not because of one complaint but because I've fallen behind with my workload. I made up my mind before starting this that I would revert to the ladder early on if I got behind too far.  Ladder work is still a lot quicker for me - though I do feel a bit out of practice now.
No no no,if you go back to a ladder,you will be losing more wfp experience,and defeating the object of why you got wfp in the first place,stick to it it will come,if you are determind to use wfp you will succeed,be a fixer not a failure,Gaz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 02:12:53 pm »

No no no,if you go back to a ladder,you will be losing more wfp experience,and defeating the object of why you got wfp in the first place,stick to it it will come,if you are determind to use wfp you will succeed,be a fixer not a failure,Gaz

Gaz.  It's a money issue.  I only want  one good week (or maybe 10 days) then I'll be back on the pole again.  I've taken out a lot of credit to get started on WFP.  There's no way I'm going to abandon it.  I've made my commitment.  However, I also have a commitment to pay the bills.  I'm even in discussion with someone at the moment to rent a small place for a static holding tank.  That's hardly the action of someone who is about to abandon WFP. This is only a stopgap for cashflow.  I always knew there would be a dip in my income/outgoings ratio early on into WFP.  I made the decision some weeks ago (before starting WFP) that I would probably introduce it to part of the round at a time.  I just need to ensure that I record which ones I've WFP'd and which ones I haven't.
In fact, if I'd managed to sell my Escort van, I probably would have gritted my teeth and carried on poling.  However, while it remains unsold, there is a hole in my bank balance.  I've decided to put a new MOT on it and drop the asking price a bit.  The current MOT expires on March 1st and that puts some people off.

H h20

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 02:24:45 pm »
Im just trying to give you the advice i did, i was so dempted to go back to a ladder not because i was doing a bad job( far from it),it was the setting up and the hoses and poles etc but i stuck it out and mastered it i don`t even have to think about it anymore it`s because i gave myself the experience by NOT going back to a ladder,but if you say you need to do it for the money then it`s your decision,Gaz

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 02:29:02 pm »

Wfp out of laziness are you for real .

Most people use wfp for safety ,laziness is nothing to do with it wfp used correctly will produce results as good as a squeegie if not better at times .

The thing which is lacking is "Training".

It is a lot harder to master than traditional methods.If you are getting spots or runs go on a course ,if not get an "experienced "user to teach you to use wfp correctly.

Dave

H h20

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 02:30:28 pm »

Most people use wfp for safety ,laziness is nothing to do with it wfp used correctly will produce results as good as a squeegie if not better at times .

It is a lot harder to master than traditional methods.If you are getting spots or runs go on a course ,if not get an "experienced "user to teach you to use wfp correctly.

Dave
Here here Dave,from one master to another,Gaz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 02:55:27 pm »
Im just trying to give you the advice i did, i was so dempted to go back to a ladder not because i was doing a bad job( far from it),it was the setting up and the hoses and poles etc but i stuck it out and mastered it i don`t even have to think about it anymore it`s because i gave myself the experience by NOT going back to a ladder,but if you say you need to do it for the money then it`s your decision,Gaz
Also Gaza, it's been a baptism of fire with this freeze up happening just as I was getting on a roll with WFP.  I nearly had an accident with my trolley too yesterday.  Wheeling up and down steps to my flat for recharging can be tricky even without any water in it.  I am having things set up soon so that I can recharge it in the van.
Now that I've been WFPing in earnest for a week or so, I'm wondering if I have chosen the right trolley for me.  It's a decent trolley, but I'm starting to see the wisdom of having a hosereel attached to it.  That would help speed things up a bit as it would mean either less van moves OR less walking to and from the van with a hosereel and trolley separately (I find it awkward pulling one on each arm as I keep whacking my heels ).  It doesn't sound much but it's little things like that which will help me work better.  Ideally, it would be useful to have a trolley with hosereel, DI unit, a pole holder, and the ability to carry 50 litres in 2 x 25 litre containers for easier loading/unloading and with a battery that isn't of the lead acid variety (I understand you can have a problem if they tip).  However, that would probably be a bit too much to have on one trolley.  In fact, while I'm fantasizing, it would be nice to have that (with more than 50 litres of water) in the back of the van on a mini tractor that you could drive around  ;D - maybe a bit like one of those grass cutting machines.  I can just imagine the hinged ramp lowering from the back of the van, the large driveable trolley being driven down it, and the Thunderbirds theme tune in the background  ;D .  While they're at it, they could install a portapotty on the back of it for when you pee yourself laughing.  That's reminds me of another problem I have with WFP.  All that running water makes me want to pee more.  Mind you, at least I've got a big enough van now to have a pee in the back into something.  That would have been a bit difficult with the Escort.

On a more serious note, I genuinely appreciate your concern Gaza.  Compared with some of the obstacles I've encountered in my life, mastering WFP is a minor irritation and no more.  My goal is to double my turnover by Autumn 2007.  I will have larger overheads so it won't be double income.  I'm going to have some fun with this but I just need to jump the early hurdles first.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 03:06:53 pm »

Dave

I did go on the BWCA course recently.  As far as I can tell, I did things the way I was shown.  I think I would have helped myself better if I had gone over the windows twice perhaps as it was a first clean.  It wasn't a very dirty first clean as he had cleaned them a couple of times himself since they were installed a while ago.  However, I suppose I should have gone round again to try and draw the detergent out that he used.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 03:33:02 pm »
Shiner

I suspect you are being to economical with your water,since i went to a 650litre tank i have very few problems now i simply turn the dial up and flood the windows and this done the trick.

There is no substitute for lots of rinsing especially on the first few cleans.

Dave

Paul Coleman

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 04:07:25 pm »
Shiner

I suspect you are being to economical with your water,since i went to a 650litre tank i have very few problems now i simply turn the dial up and flood the windows and this done the trick.

Dave

I do have a 500 litre tank David which should be plenty except for the most demanding of days (large jobs and very dirty first clean).  However, I haven't been getting anywhere near the expected fill rate from the van mount (RO). This may be a water pressure issue where I'm filling up. I've yet to try it out in another area.  However, even with the expected fill rate, it would take 2 hours to fill which means waiting around.  I think I've been aware of all this at the back of my mind and maybe using less water over it.  That's one reason I will be getting a static tank in the not-so-distant future.  Fast fill and away I go.  It will be an extra drain on finances renting a place and getting a static RO, but at least I will be able to work a lot more efficiently from it.  With ready access to pre-filtered water, I won't need to concern myself about how much I'm using.

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2005, 04:15:37 pm »

Dave

I think that Dave is correct.  The first couple of times around I was actually slower than with trad. A combination of factors: I had to relearn my rounds...  that is where to put trolley etc and also time spent on the windows. Now..  before I went WFP I cleaned all frames so it will probably be even worse for anyone who didn't. Just about to start my 6th time around now and apart from new customers it's a dawdle.  I tell anyone who gets a Freedom trolley that it isn't a miracle worker and that they will probably get frusrated etc at the time taken 1st and 2nd times around but just to persevere... and whatever they do..  NOT to skimp on water. ( I found doing that actually slowed me down because its so slow trying to rinse with a very low flow)

Did I just say Dave is right???   ;D

Andrew

Morph

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2005, 07:55:43 pm »
No mate Dave got it from Golden Graham (dearly departed...R.I.P)

Rinse Rinse Rinse :D

Pj

gaza

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005, 09:16:14 pm »
TW CONTRACTS :What a load of rubish,come and look at my windows,any muppet can clean commercial,cus the standard is normally poorer,unless you take every clean as though its your last[like Ido] domestic is more skill than luck.

gaza

Morph

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2005, 09:29:20 pm »
TW CONTRACTS :What a load of rubish,come and look at my windows,any muppet can clean commercial,cus the standard is normally poorer,unless you take every clean as though its your last[like Ido] domestic is more skill than luck.

gaza

This man speaks like a true window cleaner..........on the edge..Maybe of his skills, maybe the windowcill, but he is a grafter.  Salt of the earth.
Don't knock it!  I like your post Gaza

Pj

pjulk

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2005, 09:42:38 pm »
you will get complaints 9 times out of 10 when using wfp domesticaly

This made me laugh. You must be crap at cleaning windows if you are getting 9 out of 10 complaining.

Paul

How many did you clean with your trolley.
I don't think it will take you long to get up to speed one of my customers said you did an excellent job on there windows.

You do get the odd one which never seems to WFP good you soon learn which one's

I had one yesterday new customer just moved in.
WFP'ed the upstairs and this had years of crap on so used loads of water.
As it was dripping down it was going inside the downstairs windows and they were closed.

Anyway before i even did the downstairs i showed the customer that his windows were leaking and he thanked me for showing him and said he wouldn't have know if i did not wash them with a pole.
But they would have leaked in the rain anyway.
He's getting his dad to sort the windows out as his a builder and got a £2 for pointing out the problem.

Some people just don't like WFP and the first month converting them is the worst but it's still rare they cancel.

All that running water makes me want to pee more
Im having that problem at the moment with the weather now got a bit colder to.

Paul

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2005, 09:55:34 pm »
HELP!!!!   I am going to lose 9 out of 10 of my customers... oops....  hang on  a mo..  I must be doing something wrong with this new fangled WFP stuff coz I do nearly all domestic and haven't had one complain so far in 6 months.

TW Contracts...  can you teach me how you do it please? I must be doing SOMETHING wrong and I reckon you are the man to show me  ;D

Take PRIDE in your work and it pays off VERY well.

I believe thats the real sentiment behind the origin of this thread.

Andrew

gaza

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2005, 10:45:09 pm »
Paul:Think of the heat escaping from them as well.I refuused to do a job for the council the other month,about a 250 squid + job after Ipointed out to the problem to the council.The windows in the beam engine room werernt safe,ready to fallout
a couple of them  just up above the public enterance,thankyou was his reply,later I found out due to my report they are sprending several 1000s of pounds rebuilding a new one.Iwas asked once its been built would Ilike to clean it,would I AND CAN iCLEAN THE HALL AS WELL,IT WOULD BE THE SAME AS CLEANING BUCKINGHAM PALACE,TOP CLASS JOB.Im on about Wollo hall Brett mind you you know about it all ready.

gaza

Paul Coleman

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2005, 11:53:31 am »
you will get complaints 9 times out of 10 when using wfp domesticaly

This made me laugh. You must be crap at cleaning windows if you are getting 9 out of 10 complaining.

Paul

How many did you clean with your trolley.
I don't think it will take you long to get up to speed one of my customers said you did an excellent job on there windows.

You do get the odd one which never seems to WFP good you soon learn which one's

Thanks for the positive feedback Paul.  I have been back to several jobs since to check the windows over and they vary between "acceptable" to "very good".  Mind you, I didn't ask the customer though.  I take the view that if I'm happy with what I've done, there's a decent chance the customer will be too.
I am going to master this stuff and start earning some very good money from it too.  I can look back to 1991 when I first started squeegeeing and have a chuckle at the stuff I did then.  It will be the same with WFP too I'm sure.  The beauty of this is that in 1991 I had no internet.  Now, I do, and I can get some good indicators of where I might go wrong and how to put it right.
Although I did start frame cleaning the trad way to prepare for WFP, I got fed up with that after a while.  The windows I've been cleaning by WFP recently are ones that I didn't prepare.  So there is a method to me reverting back to ladders for a short while.  It will enable me to switch back to preparing the frames for WFP and to clean the remainder of the house windows with the Unger liquid (as opposed to Fairy).

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2005, 12:37:08 pm »
You are going to get the very best out of your WFP equipment Shiner.

With your dedication to high standards and the ability to learn from others you will live up to your nic and.. SHINE...  and so will your windows.  In a few weeks you will be noticing just how good the windows are when you go back to clean them. Then all this will seem very worthwhile.

All the very best with it. ( Not that you need me to say so)

Andrew

busydaffodil

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2005, 01:53:15 pm »
Its like *handbags at dawn* here!! ;)

Thankfully Andrew came along & said sommat nice!

Lizzy waits for the backlash from the handbag brigade! :P

Paul Coleman

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2005, 07:11:35 pm »
Just to resurrect this thread briefly.  I went out to work for a while yesterday (Sunday) and made up my mind to absolutely flood the windows when rinsing no matter how much water I used.  When I'd done that, I rinsed again.  I used loads  Today, I got the ladder out and checked over all the work I did yesterday.  The results were as perfect as you could wish for.  Even the first job I did a few weeks ago as an experiment, which looked disastrous at the time, came up beautifully.  So thanks to the forum.  My confidence took a temporary knock at the balls up I made the other day but I feel more OK about it now.
Today, one of my customers expressed a certain amount of dismay at my WFPing - even though I warned her a few weeks ago.  It was nothing to do with the window cleaning though.  She was concerned that the water would get on the wooden cladding, freeze up, and then split the wood.  When I replied that it was not really any different to heavy rain followedf by a freeze up she replied "But it's not raining" - totally missing my point I think.  She just said something about seeing how it goes "this time".  Ironically, this is one of those awkward jobs where I used to put a point ladder onto the corners of the bays and, if truth be told, I wasn't totally comfortable with it but did it anyway (should I own up to that on here?)   :) . The ground falls away and it's a bit of a pain off a ladder.  I did say that if she wanted to employ someone who uses ladders, there might be safety issues.  WFP is a particularly good thing for jobs of this type.
I had pre-warned this customer re WFP but I think she wasn't able to imagine the reality of it.  She wanted to come out of her front door while I was cleaning the window above it - oops !! - and I really was giving it a mega rinsing.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2005, 07:15:41 pm »
You are going to get the very best out of your WFP equipment Shiner.

With your dedication to high standards and the ability to learn from others you will live up to your nic and.. SHINE...  and so will your windows.  In a few weeks you will be noticing just how good the windows are when you go back to clean them. Then all this will seem very worthwhile.

All the very best with it. ( Not that you need me to say so)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.  Although I do sometimes suffer from arrogance,  I am not too arrogant to be teachable.
I'm one of those people who doesn't suffer fools gladly and that sometimes makes me the fool  :)
Love your trolley mate.  Cant you put and engine and steering wheel on it though?   :)