waynebarry

Website Design
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »
Hi Guys & Girls

I have a website but it needs seriously modenising, can anyone recommend a good web designer?

Re: Website Design
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:39:29 pm »
Their are a few on here that have a good go at doing them ??? some on here also seem to know alot about building and designing websites :-X but listen to them at your own peril ;D These are on my doorstep :) very good and do know what they are doing http://www.greensplash.com/ not cheap but you do only get what you pay for ;)

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »
Why haven’t you put your web site on your profile then ask for opinions it may be good or not (I must get round to doing one)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

Adam P

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »
if true it's odd that the site was designed by these guys - http://www.ukcaravanhire.com/

the site happy has listed is a bit old so could do with updating, just depends on your budget.

you've asked for a good web designer but what in your opinion is good? someone who is cheap? someone who provides a nice looking site? etc?

you could get a cheap run of the mill template site and pay someone a few hundred to simply put the text on it for you, or you could get it made for you but it'll cost a bit more. imo if you're going to spend on improving the site then get the best you can afford as there is no point in having the site improved to then have to pay again in a year as it's not really that good and it doesn't have a lasting design.

do you have a budget in mind wayne?

Steve CM

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »
take a look at my site, if you like it i could point you to the company. good standard and good value for money. not the cheapest but i think well worth the money

Adam P

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:09 pm »
great site Steve. really like everything about it.

Steve CM

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »
thanks, i came up with my corporate image and took the photos and then got a web designer to bring it all to life. Its the best money i've ever spent

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »
thanks, i came up with my corporate image and took the photos and then got a web designer to bring it all to life. Its the best money i've ever spent

Nice site Steve. How much was it? do you pay yearly for hosting or do you do it yourself?

Steve CM

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
650 plus vat for me site and 5.99 a month for me hosting. i sorted out all my own hosting etc. again not the cheapest but it just comes out me paypal account each month.

i have spent the best part of 800 plus vat on my site but thats just been updates and tweaks (my fault for not getting it right first time)

i used to do my own sites but my current one blows the previous one out the water so money well spent

Len Gribble

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:05:14 pm »
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

waynebarry

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »
Steve - you site is just what im looking for, clear, modern easy to navigate and it does what it says on the tin!
can you let me know who put it together for you please.

Steve CM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:29 pm »
www.amasci.co.uk

talk to terry. say i sent you because he won't design for my direct competitors for obvious reasons ;)

waynebarry

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
Thanks mate ill give him a call next week!

Steve CM

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:25:32 pm »
no problem :)

Terry Klymkiv

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:58 pm »
you can check my website:
www.alphacleaningcompany.com

if you like it, I'll give you contact info of my designer, he does a good job at very affordable prices.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
if true it's odd that the site was designed by these guys - http://www.ukcaravanhire.com/

the site happy has listed is a bit old so could do with updating, just depends on your budget.

you've asked for a good web designer but what in your opinion is good? someone who is cheap? someone who provides a nice looking site? etc?

you could get a cheap run of the mill template site and pay someone a few hundred to simply put the text on it for you, or you could get it made for you but it'll cost a bit more. imo if you're going to spend on improving the site then get the best you can afford as there is no point in having the site improved to then have to pay again in a year as it's not really that good and it doesn't have a lasting design.

Templates, I get wound up about people saying this and making others believe the template it built and the designer doesnt have anything to do  ??? any decent web designer will build/adapt a template for a site either from scratch or from another, he/she will add images, nav bar and build the site, all pages 1 or 303 will be built from this site template. Its standard practice. Any template can be adapted so it is unique to a client its no big deal really.  All websites are built using a template, it is the structure of the site and the other pages are built around it.

The template is a structure, pattern, outline, model, stencil or a guide to a website and no big deal.  

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:18 pm »
What is your intent?

Are you just embarrassed by how old your site looks or do you want something else.. like getting the phone ringing more?

Website designers tend to fall into two camps, creatives or techy geeks. Niether of which tend to be very interested in getting your phone to ring. I would research companies that can create a direct marketing style site, that people who want to buy find and also have  solid offline marketing experience.

You can have a good 'value' site that costs £200-300 but a solution that costs £1000 that yield £5k of business a year and you can track that it is would be even better value ;D

I seriously doubt anyone on this forum can offer you that, but someone may know a company that can produce such a solution for you.     
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Steve CM

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »
What is your intent?

Are you just embarrassed by how old your site looks or do you want something else.. like getting the phone ringing more?

Website designers tend to fall into two camps, creatives or techy geeks. Niether of which tend to be very interested in getting your phone to ring. I would research companies that can create a direct marketing style site, that people who want to buy find and also have  solid offline marketing experience.

You can have a good 'value' site that costs £200-300 but a solution that costs £1000 that yield £5k of business a year and you can track that it is would be even better value ;D

I seriously doubt anyone on this forum can offer you that, but someone may know a company that can produce such a solution for you.     

you need to create the site. have it fully optimized then seek an seo company if your serious about getting it marketed. A site needs a lot of fettling once it has been designed.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »

You are wrong to distrust me ??? ??? as mentioned www.greensplash.com   ;)

Steve SEO is another ball game, but adwords is the short fix until a site is established and ranked. Even when a site does have a page one organic listing adwords still does its job time after time  ;)

Adam P

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:46 pm »

Templates, I get wound up about people saying this and making others believe the template it built and the designer doesnt have anything to do  ??? any decent web designer will build/adapt a template for a site either from scratch or from another, he/she will add images, nav bar and build the site, all pages 1 or 303 will be built from this site template. Its standard practice. Any template can be adapted so it is unique to a client its no big deal really.  All websites are built using a template, it is the structure of the site and the other pages are built around it.

The template is a structure, pattern, outline, model, stencil or a guide to a website and no big deal.  

i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying. i said you can pay someone peanuts that'll use a free run of the mill template and then simply fill in the text. there is a tiny bit more to it then that but nothing worth mentioning as it's tiny and not considered anything to boat about. or you can pay someone to make a site like steve has. there is a clear difference between template sites and ones that understand the company. :)

Steve CM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:55 am »

You are wrong to distrust me ??? ??? as mentioned www.greensplash.com   ;)

Steve SEO is another ball game, but adwords is the short fix until a site is established and ranked. Even when a site does have a page one organic listing adwords still does its job time after time  ;)

it does but there are many factors to consider in getting it there. if you type in window cleaner milton keynes in normally ranked 1, 2 or 3 on page 1 (mainly ranked top) have been for years. but when you type cleaning company i'm on the second page. next year i have an seo project starting where by we have a spiral effect by taking a few key phrases and targetting them to get my site there step by step.

Adwords IMO is a waste of money. I have had a go at it and have wasted my money. Organic listings is where its at. it has taken me 6 months of bouncing off the 2 of the main respected seo operators in the UK to get the deal i think is best for my money. SEO is a mine filed but i am grasping it more everyday.

Steve CM

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 09:40:31 am »

i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying. i said you can pay someone peanuts that'll use a free run of the mill template and then simply fill in the text. there is a tiny bit more to it then that but nothing worth mentioning as it's tiny and not considered anything to boat about. or you can pay someone to make a site like steve has. there is a clear difference between template sites and ones that understand the company. :)

To be honest if a designer needs to use a template then he isn't at the top of his game. I can creat site templates as photoshop was my forte when i worked in the design industry. For someone that can design it would be a matter of a few hours to get a web template together

M.Acorn

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 09:45:51 am »
I am really impressed with one a builder friend of mine has had done,going to get them to have a go at mine,as it`s a bit dated now..

http://www.leecodrington.com/

Check it out,just like the really clean straight forward look of it
What goes around comes around

Colin Day

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 09:52:54 am »
The thing that gets me is, if some of you carpet cleaners are so good at website design and SEO, why on earth would you carry on being a carpet cleaner? It just doesn't add up IMO. I'm not doubting for one minute that some of you are clued up to the ying yang, because evidence seems to suggest I'd be wrong to do so.

It would make sense to channel your energies into website design and make much, much more money while you're at it!

Just a thought :)

Steve CM

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 10:57:37 am »
The thing that gets me is, if some of you carpet cleaners are so good at website design and SEO, why on earth would you carry on being a carpet cleaner? It just doesn't add up IMO. I'm not doubting for one minute that some of you are clued up to the ying yang, because evidence seems to suggest I'd be wrong to do so.

It would make sense to channel your energies into website design and make much, much more money while you're at it!

you think there is big money in webdesign? Unless your dealing with blue chips i think you'd be surprized. Its the same in design. Unless your in with big agencies and at the top of your game its terrible. Thats why i am now in control of a cleaning company. Not for the love, but for the money

Adam P

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 11:41:20 am »
exactly. running a business is far more skilled and can earn a lot more money then simply making static websites (one of the lowest skills is html and css, it's what you learn to then learn the real skills). static websites are like the easiest thing to learn and that skill alone isn't enough to get a job that pays well at all. one of the reasons people make a lot of money from web design is because they come up with a good idea and then that makes money e.g. facebook.

to say someone who plans to be running a successful cleaning company is wasting their time as they can make websites is silly.

garyj

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
If you know what you were doing, why is your logo someone getting a green custard pie in the face?

Adam P

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:07 pm »
If you knew what you were doing, why is your logo someone getting a green custard pie in the face?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol!!!!111!!!11!1!!!!!!1111!

Good one :D

wynne jones

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »
If you are succesful at marketing you can make a lot of money, whether you are a carpet cleaner or whatever. If you know how to make people money you can make a lot of money yourself.

I would go as far as to say you could know very little about websites, social media etc and make a lot of money selling solutions and simply outsource the technical side to a Philipino on the payroll for £300 a month who would run rings round 90% of the techies in the UK.

Steve CM

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »
If you are succesful at marketing you can make a lot of money, whether you are a carpet cleaner or whatever. If you know how to make people money you can make a lot of money yourself.

I would go as far as to say you could know very little about websites, social media etc and make a lot of money selling solutions and simply outsource the technical side to a Philipino on the payroll for £300 a month who would run rings round 90% of the techies in the UK.

so why are you on here? do you clean for a hobby?

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14:48 pm »

Business is business, if you can make enough money to live on just by doing one thing like carpet cleaning thats ok, good luck to anyone that does it.

Nothing wrong with having your fingers in a few pies and knowing a little bit about a few things.  

wynne jones

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 01:35:08 pm »

What I do is irrelevant, if you read what I say you will realise the wisdom in it.  ;D

Steve CM

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »

What I do is irrelevant, if you read what I say you will realise the wisdom in it.  ;D

yes i can certinatly see something...wisdom i'm not sure about ;)

wynne jones

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 01:42:50 pm »
So what have I said there that you don't believe?

The fact that someone who can look at a business, asses how it can best capitalise on online/offline marketing and pull the resources together to implement it? Tell me that wouldn't be better at yeilding a profit (something which everyone seems to be avoid talking about) than some computer geek who gets off on producing a glossy website and then moving on.

Steve CM

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
So what have I said there that you don't believe?

The fact that someone who can look at a business, asses how it can best capitalise on online/offline marketing and pull the resources together to implement it? Tell me that wouldn't be better at yeilding a profit (something which everyone seems to be avoid talking about) than some computer geek who gets off on producing a glossy website and then moving on.

who said anything about producing a glossy site and moving on? its a tool at the end of the day. the same as the person i have setting up appointments, pipelining. and bringing in business. The flyer runs and promotional packs i have that go out. The website i have that has an seo company looking at stats and what best to target to get me more leads?

And also the biggest asset - Me! (or yourself) keeping your ear to the ground. Networking yourself about, looking for opportunities and seizing them.

they are all small cogs that run the machine. Why would i need someone to come in when there only interest would be to make money from me?

wynne jones

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:39 pm »
Steve

I wasn't talking about you to be honest. I was talking about your response to one of my posts for the benefit of the original poster and anyone who wants to see the big picture in all this.

But while we are on the subject of your glossy site Steve. ;D

You have  a lovely site and ticks a lot of boxes, yet, it's really a brochure on the web, it's not really capitalising on stuff you can do on the web that you can't do with a brochure.

For instance, you have a weak call to action and although you have a contact form that could so easily be a lead generation machine if it was changed to an optin box that actually stood out and gave people a compelling reason to put an email address in it.

You could even put it in an iframe so that's all people saw initially. ;)  

Do that and you have just made another £xgrand a year and with an automated email campaign much more.

Personally I don't think I could design a site as nice as that but I do think I can see where lots of money can be made. :)

clinton

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 02:31:37 pm »
As one of the above posts said there are some on here who do a good job with web sites and also some who just know the basics and thats about it.Kev loomes does a great job for one.

wynne jones

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
Another tip, which of course you can ignore is... don't put anything you want people to see or take action on below the bottom of the screen. 80% of people never scroll down a site so if you are going to go to all the trouble to have a facebook connect button, put it on the top.

In fact generally webdesigner screw you up straight away by putting a big banner on your site that takes up half the page and does nothing except force  important stuff below the fold.

Clinton I notice you have three sites and one of the links has your main keyword phrase rather than the domain name. That's a smart move that I rarely see even on links from people who should know better.

Steve CM

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »
Steve

I wasn't talking about you to be honest. I was talking about your response to one of my posts for the benefit of the original poster and anyone who wants to see the big picture in all this.

But while we are on the subject of your glossy site Steve. ;D

You have  a lovely site and ticks a lot of boxes, yet, it's really a brochure on the web, it's not really capitalising on stuff you can do on the web that you can't do with a brochure.

For instance, you have a weak call to action and although you have a contact form that could so easily be a lead generation machine if it was changed to an optin box that actually stood out and gave people a compelling reason to put an email address in it.

You could even put it in an iframe so that's all people saw initially. ;)  

Do that and you have just made another £xgrand a year and with an automated email campaign much more.

Personally I don't think I could design a site as nice as that but I do think I can see where lots of money can be made. :)

Ok i'm always open to suggestions and can take critizm on the chin. What i don't like is when i talk to a 'Stuart Baggs Blagger' So i'm all ears please explain further what the example is you shown above. What is a call to action?

clinton

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:34 pm »
Cheers wynne well itwas a wise person who gave me that tip,not a web designer either ::)Il stick to cleaning carpets for another 20 years i think ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »
Hi Steve

When you do any marketing piece the final bit of the jigsaw is getting someone to take action. That could be picking up the phone, filling in a form, joining a webinar, a facebook page etc etc.

So everthing on that page should  stear them to take one call to action. The instant someone looks at a page the thing you want them to do should stand out like a bulldogs dagglies and also you give them a VERY good reason to take action NOW.

Create an optin box which offers a coupon code for a tenner. Just get email address nothing else. You now have the ability to follow up on someone who may have just surfed off to the next site, you know where they have come from when they present the coupon and if they don't come to you, you still build a relationship with automated emails until they do (seven points of contact theory).

Email campaigns deliver a 1-50 return on investment on average.

So the next thing is to prove it to yourself. Test it. Set it up so you always have two versions of your site alternating between visitors. Which is your next biggest bang for your buck, split testing.

Now, as you begin to see how much more revenue can be delivered for not much money you can start to implement bigger ideas that essentially cost you nothing because they are paid for with money you didn't have before.

garry22

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »
Clinton I notice you have three sites and one of the links has your main keyword phrase rather than the domain name. That's a smart move that I rarely see even on links from people who should know better.

It may be a waste of time here, Wynne.

There is a "no follow" mod that can be inserted into one of the folders on a SMF site (that does not show up on the page coding). I suspect it is in operation here (maybe the owners could let us know?). I'll stand corrected if someone can find links from here in their backlinks reports.

clarkson

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:59 pm »

Hi mate
  try digieyedesign.co.uk they host for a couple of quid and good on design and seo reasonable to.

cheers john

a2z cleaning

Adam P

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 09:35:16 pm »

It may be a waste of time here, Wynne.

There is a "no follow" mod that can be inserted into one of the folders on a SMF site (that does not show up on the page coding). I suspect it is in operation here (maybe the owners could let us know?). I'll stand corrected if someone can find links from here in their backlinks reports.

as well the site is not accessible to google as is (afaik any way). from what i understand they see a basic version with the signatures removed which is why you see people doing things like posting links after each post as well as in signatures such as...

http://www.cleansurrey.co.uk/

wynne jones

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
You are spot on Garry as usual. It maybe a waste of time on here now (it didn't use to be), I'm talking about the principle of 100% keyword density.

I keep reading different viewpoints on no follow. And change my mind depending how I feel at the time.  :)

To be honest a lot of areas could be easy to get top position with some very crummy links.

There are a few places in the UK that would be hard to crack but generally the local keywords for most no1 slots are nearly all pr 0s ranging from 5-100 backlinks. That means everything else being equal you could out rank a site in a month or two, if not sooner. You now have new factors creeping in to local that mean it's even easier to topple long standing no1 slots.

wynne jones

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
Hi Guys & Girls

I have a website but it needs seriously modenising, can anyone recommend a good web designer?

Anyway Wayne, sorry if we have gone off topic.

Can we have a look and see where you are with it? What do you want to get from it?

How much do you want to invest in your web marketing? What do you do offline that works really well?

I'm only a carpet cleaner but happy to help as are lots of people on here who are more experienced than me.  :) 

Mike Halliday

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:29 am »
Wynne his site was posted earlier

http://www.apluscleaningservices.co.uk/

although Wayne was asking about a revamp of his website I think it looks OK, not a really flashy website but good relevant photos and understandable text.

I don't know how well it is optimised but as I was reading it i didn't think it reflected badly on his company.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

garry22

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »
Wayne,

Mike has a point.

If it is attracting customers and making money, maybe it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

I tend to see things in the same way Wynne does. I got into online marketing via writing website copy so both of us tend to look, first and foremost, whether a site does a selling job.

A couple of the other lads are looking at stuff from a pure design or coding point of view. There's no real right or wrong, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Garry

wynne jones

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »
Cheers Mike didn't spot that.

Yeah Garry I agree. I guess whats most important is knowing what Waynes gunning for. It would appear it's cleaning services southampton yet he has not brilliant on page optimisation and zilch backlinks.

Having said that, there is no one phrase that really stands out that delivers 20+ searches a day. Therfore you have to find all the little long tail key phrases that all add up in the end.

I do differ slightly with you Garry in that I start getting traffic before worrying about conversion. You can't really know whats working and what isn't untill you get a reasonable amount of traffic.

If I'm completely wrong though and wayne is getting a ton of calls of his site then I would do several things on the site to increase conversion then split test it with his current site. I would also optimise each page for a single keyword phrase.

And today my feeling on no follow links is just get them. You may not get PR from them but most people on here just need links full stop, even pooty little no follow PR0s. One thing I do know is if you ain't got any at all you will one day find your site at postion 890! and will stay there whatever you do.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

garry22

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 02:38:21 pm »
I do differ slightly with you Garry in that I start getting traffic before worrying about conversion. You can't really know whats working and what isn't untill you get a reasonable amount of traffic.

No we don't differ, I agree with you. I was purely commenting on the site (after a visitor has found it). Doug said on here recently that the number one priority was to get seen and you can't argue with that.

And today my feeling on no follow links is just get them. You may not get PR from them but most people on here just need links full stop, even pooty little no follow PR0s. One thing I do know is if you ain't got any at all you will one day find your site at postion 890! and will stay there whatever you do.

Again I agree. Someone I know in the States tested some sites by deliberately only pointing no follow links at them. They got ranked.

Interestingly, when I was looking up the bit about SMF no follow, a forum owner was moaning that his no follow attributes were being ignored by Yahoo. Maybe they just do not carry quite as much weight?

wynne jones

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 02:55:36 pm »
This reminds me of the reciprocal link thing.

Sure they went out of favour when google caught on, but wouldn't it be perfectly natural to a carpet cleaner in one town to have a link to one another. And wouldn't it be perfectly unaturall to have 99 reciprical backlinks and one from your webdesigner?

Which brings me on to another (yes I know I'm ranting) 'trick' web design companies do to hint lots of lovely seo and that's a linking matrix of their customers, crosslinking or whatever you want to call it. Yes it can be done but usually its everyone linking to everyone else and that makes you stick out like dogs dagglies to Google.

You can't get away from topic related one way links and the problem with that is it's a pain in the A and no one wants to do it, certainly not over the long haul.

garry22

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »
I always think that is a bit dumb, especially when it is expressly forbidden in Google Webmaster guidelines!

I've seen it with some using the same link text, from the same standard links page on each site and even on the same IP address. It's a lot of work to have it all ignored.

Do you realise that this is a website thread where at least two people are in agreement?   ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »
I was thinking the same Garry, the only logical conclusion I can come to is we are both right. ;D

garry22

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »
I agree ... again   ;D

Adam P

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »
alright guys get a room

garry22

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:38 pm »
Enough of this...

Does anyone have any ideas on

A/ Does Wayne's site need changing?

B/ What do they think should be done to improve it?

Suggestions anyone?

Adam P

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »
improve the logo so it's a better quality image, the same with the images going down the page, change the low resolution ones for high res.

use left aligned text

remove the a+ cleaning services orange box and replace with the logo and make that into a link to the homepage, then use the new space better for the call now etc text.

improve the text at least on the home page. it reads like it's been written for search engines (full of keywords) but from a visitor point of view it's not great to read. e.g. the first paragraph on he homepage "Based in Southampton & covering the South Coast. Looking for a company offering cleaning services in Southampton? Choose A+ Cleaning Services: a leading company for top quality, competitively priced Cleaning Services Southampton. Window Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning, Patio Cleaning, Caravan Cleaning, Gutter Cleaning,

^^ change that to make sense.

remove the photo of someone taking a photo on the gutter cleaning page

Conservatory Cleaning, Driveway Cleaning and UPVC Cleaning."

the links to carpet cleaning suggest it's in southampton, but when on that page it appears maybe it's not... in fact the home page is the only one which says southampton, the rest never mention it once.

remove the site made by caravanhire makes the site appear very cheap and pickey

remove all the links to caravan hiring all together. i don't know who's idea it was to put them there but it was a bad one

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »
Design is okay nothing wrong with it, but really he's asking the wrong people he needs to ask customers we are all lemmings, and I appreciate we need to get our sites seen but 99% of carpet cleaning companies won't get into the debate of which google term etc is best therefore you 2 garry22 and wynne may either be streets ahead and getting infront or wasting valueable time being a carpet cleaner when you should be SEO experts - the answer to that is I don't know!

Getting No1 in free generic listings IMO could become a thing of the past soon as Google are putting the sqeeze on it, just look at a search term page for your area, sponsored ads then maps then free listings, what's next? they are a billion $ business and need their fix, look at how Yell have watered down the cheap listings not worth advertising in the cheap seats and the other search engines will do the same (also lemmings)

Grab it while you can, I remember YP being the best form of advertising they got greedy and then the internet took over nothing lasts forever but the best way of gaining free buisness is through your Gob!

The point of the ramble is that you can't afford to spend too much time on one thing as it's forever changing.

Shaun

Adam P

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »
i don't think google are putting a squeeze on it tbh. sponsored ads have always been there and have not changed since i can remember using google. map listings appear but that's free, but it's also linked in with organic listings such as for some of mine i'm first, then there is the map listings, then the rest of the organic results.

although adwords appears first i fnd a much larger percentage of my visitors come through organic listings even when my ad is running on the page. this could be down to a larger percentage these days having an advert blocker or just few people click them.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »
Hi Guys

Intersting thread.

In my view Google have to keep organic becasue this is it's credibility, the search engine with the most relevant results.

If it's just paid adverts then it is no longer a search engine just an advertising medium.

In terms of pretty sites mine are not, mainly becasue I don't have time but I do have lots of very good rankings including many genetics like sofa cleaing for example.

In an ideal world you would have a good looking site with top rankings but I find a lot of 'designed' sites have far too much info and are hard to navigate.

Cheers

Doug

wynne jones

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »
It certainly is a balancing act for them and like any company when they get a certain size and very successful they are going to be hit upon, bit like Microsoft.

They are subtle but it is true they are putting the squeeze on. Notice the sponsored link background get a little paler every year and now with the maps how many of the first page entries are above the fold?

I actually don't begrudge them their fortune. I look at the email I use, the productivity tools, finding good resturants through Places reviews, infact even finding the resteruant with gmaps and I've even got a phone thats cheaper and better than an iphone all because of Google. ;D

The danger is if they turn real nasty and we are so dependent on them, then we are in trouble.

Luckily when it comes to Adwords and the Google squeeze, Facebook comes along and poos all over them so we are OK until Facebook goes the same way as the rest.

garry22

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
In my view Google have to keep organic becasue this is it's credibility, the search engine with the most relevant results.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in my locality, both mine and a couple of Doug's sites are still ranked above the local / places ones.

Shaun,

It's only a matter of time before my back gives up for good and I have to pack up cleaning. I've been working on a new career for a while so for me, it's definitely not a hobby. A lot is 100% online business. I'm working on my own stuff because the last thing I want to do is SEO / online marketing for others. The reason is simple. SEO clients are (on the whole) are an absolute nightmare because they think they are experts. The fact that nothing is guaranteed makes it more of a pain.

The point of the ramble is that you can't afford to spend too much time on one thing as it's forever changing.

I can't agree more as far as carpet cleaning goes. I personally think many carpet cleaners get too worried / obsessed with Web stuff and neglect the basic things like referrals ("the best way of gaining free buisness is through your Gob!").

To go completely down the online route could be a dangerous thing for CCrs

wynne jones

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »
Garry I know how hard it is to do what you are doing, respect mate.

waynebarry

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »
What can I say, thank you guys for the excellent feedback!!
The reason I put this post up is because since I had the site put together we have gone from 1 to 5 employees and I feel the site is now looking old and tired and I feel I need something more modern and eye catching like Steves or gcs sites to help take the company forward.
I want to get it properly optimized (excuse the spelling) so that all my services are somewhere on the first page of google instead of some of them especially CARPET CLEANING!!
I also if it needs it want to do a google adword campaign and one of Wynne suggestions put a box on the front page so that it promps people to leave there e-mail address so I can start a marketing campaign that way too!!
Wynne can you e-mail me your contact details as you seem to know what your talking about and I believe you can help me.
Also gcs can I contact you sometime too?
Once again thanks for your feedback you have given me so many ideas and poiters on how change my site.

wynne jones

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:14 pm »
Sure thing Wayne.

waynebarry

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »
sorry wynne I think you need this! sales@apluscleaningservices.co.uk

Adam P

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
no problem wayne. always happy to offer some help to members on this site.

email is    adam@ cleansurrey.co.uk

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:06 am »
Seek an seo company before you build your site, ask him how should it be designed to get the best out of it.
It is no use having a website with all the bells and whistles, only to find that no one can see it. A bit like having a box of leaflets under the stairs, they will never get seen if they do not go out. Same with your website, this is only my opinion, you need to have a separate page for each keyword you are targeting, then seo those pages according to the most important part of your business

garry22

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »
Create an optin box which offers a coupon code for a tenner. Just get email address nothing else. You now have the ability to follow up on someone who may have just surfed off to the next site, you know where they have come from when they present the coupon and if they don't come to you, you still build a relationship with automated emails until they do (seven points of contact theory).

Wynne (or anyone),

Which autoresponder services do you use / recommend?

Garry

jsm

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:06 am »
If you know what you were doing, why is your logo someone getting a green custard pie in the face?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout