SB Cleaning

Re: Supreme brushes?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2021, 04:00:10 pm »
I'm not a fan of Gardiner brushes these days they seem like they are a lot more money but a lower quality.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2021, 05:38:12 pm »
I'm not a fan of Gardiner brushes these days they seem like they are a lot more money but a lower quality.

Something along those lines!
Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2021, 11:08:04 pm »
Dupont bristles are nothing special either. Look and feel nice when new but still go out of shape.

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2021, 06:50:43 pm »
I've got a stiff supreme brush and I like it,I don't use it all the time but it has its uses(I find it great for spiders nests in the corners of frames)...... the xtreme brushes  however are my number 1 brushes because they are  just so damn light and make for an easier working day...
price higher/work harder!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 05:16:16 pm »
Well, as I said, this is the only Gardiner brush that I've never tried. I can now confirm I'm satisfied that I've been missing absolutely nothing!😁 Just another brush with major fundamental flaws.
The bristles are too long, I've reduced them by approx 8mm and this significantly improves it's standard form.
Dupont bristles are definitely the wrong choice for this brush IMO. They hold water like a shammy leather which really increases it's weight in use. It would be much better suited to the medium orange as featured on the Ultimate.
Another issue, now common across the Gardiner range is the huge gap in bristle area to accommodate the new jet capsules- exacerbated with narrow stocks like this and the Xtreme. There's a good 1" gap on either side which is only covered by Two bristle clumps, in a single row both top and bottom. There is room for more but none are there. It's also annoying to have to pay for jets that you don't need. I don't mind contributing to tooling costs if the end product is worth it!😁
The cut ends ofcthe bristles are terrible. The tips look like they've been subjected to heat, like little bobbles on the very ends. The brush is also triple trim rather than dual. I'm not sure whether this is designed in or a fault.
It's just another shame, this brush could be made much better but there again, I'm struggling to see an actual requirement for it. It's near enough the same weight as the Ultimate but The Ultimate is Ten times better! It was nice however not to be banging into frames and to whip spiders nests out almost instantly! I have made some more minor modifications to it tonight so we'll see what tomorrow brings but I'm not hopeful as I think its fundamentally too wrong, we'll see.
Think it'll be back to the Ultimate while I see what else the rest of the market has to offer.👍

Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2021, 06:43:45 pm »
 ;D
I’ve got two in the van I never use, flocked and mono.
I must stick them on ebay.
Also have a brand new Ultimate with Dupont bristles I’ll probably never use (it’s better than the Supreme).

DJW

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2021, 06:49:43 pm »
  Betyou haven’t tried one of these  ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2021, 06:57:24 pm »
I've just ordered another Dupont X line, I had nearly 12 months out of the one im using and it will still be good for conny roofs/ fascias for a while yet...
They are heavy but the longevity and scrubbing power is excellent.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2021, 07:07:51 pm »
  Betyou haven’t tried one of these  ;D

Yeah, like I said, the direction Gardiners are going in regarding brushes is..... perplexing! ;D

Are you still going from frames to panes?? ;)
Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »
I do  ;)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2021, 07:19:16 pm »
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2021, 09:29:49 pm »
If you use hot water you have even less choice.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2021, 09:50:44 pm »
If you use hot water you have even less choice.

I'm glad I don't, hating sill brushes limits my choice enough as it is!!
A normal brush with a swivel cleans sills better and easier than a sill brush on a fixed neck. There was never a substantial requirement for sill brushes to begin with IMO. Buy a swivel, learn how to use it, you'll soon wonder how you ever managed without it is my advice!👍
Let's get back to some proper brush development instead of these toys.
We're now paying boutique prices for barely mediocre products!
Comfortably Numb!

Granny

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2021, 10:13:32 am »
That sill brush with the bristles sticking out of the side would be a disaster for us on the Victorian sandstone houses in this area (Yorkshire).
Catch that on the reveal and sand will be everywhere and on the brush too.

NWH

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2021, 10:18:47 am »
The extreme sill brushes are good for keeping  everything clean  the bottom row also acts as a protector against scratching them,each to their own but I can’t see why people choose a much heavier brush over them even if they don’t last them as long.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2021, 12:24:39 pm »
The extreme sill brushes are good for keeping  everything clean  the bottom row also acts as a protector against scratching them,each to their own but I can’t see why people choose a much heavier brush over them even if they don’t last them as long.

Read my first post, it gives you a full explanation. They're light, the good ends there!🙂
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2021, 01:57:47 pm »
Yeah I find them adequate for my work tbh I’ve used just about every brush and most shapes and sizes,a brush can feel it’s doing a better job but in reality it’s no better than one that’s bigger and heavier.
You can say what you like about the Gardiner’s brushes but I can almost guarantee Alex wouldn’t sell a brush unless it did a job,it would be nice if they lasted a bit longer but the overall clean with them is good.

richard connett

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2021, 04:04:06 pm »
You didn’t say about the ultimate just about extremes . What you’ve done is turned your supreme into an ultimate ! I would have used the supreme a bit longer before getting the scissors out . I get what you mean about brushes though. It seems there’s loads more developments to be made and there never seems to be the perfect brush

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 04:22:35 pm »
You didn’t say about the ultimate just about extremes . What you’ve done is turned your supreme into an ultimate ! I would have used the supreme a bit longer before getting the scissors out . I get what you mean about brushes though. It seems there’s loads more developments to be made and there never seems to be the perfect brush

You are almost right Richard. I've finished the tweaks and created a very good brush. If I had bought this brush, as it is now, I would have been very pleased as it's now more usable, more effective, more efficient and lighter in use. I will post some pictures later.

NWH ... it's about constructive criticism, honest opinion, feedback and suggestions for improvement. Without this, progress and direction can be hindered. You stated yourself that Gardiners produced better brushes in the past- so you must conclude that some current offerings are inferior to what came before them? I know brushes are subjective and personal but we are talking about some pretty fundamental aspects here, that at this level shouldn't be getting to the end user IMO.🙂👍
Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2021, 06:07:20 pm »
Gardiners have a massive range of brushes and have used all types of bristles in the past so can’t knock them for trying. Ultimates probably deserve the name (superlights didn’t). Extremes are exactly that - bare minimum. My biggest bugbear are bristles that curl out of shape. The Extreme sill takes some getting used to especially on a swivel and the bottom row obstructs your vision.
With prices going through the roof I want something that lasts longer. I can actually measure the wear on my Extreme flocked. The one I’m using now is nearly a centimetre down.
I changed to X- lines a couple of years back but they really didn’t suit an Extreme pole.