dazmond

Re: diesel heater users.......a few questions
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 09:49:28 pm »
Looking forward to next Wednesday! And I’m not even getting a Webasto installed.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing the pics and being updated.

I’m missing my hot water, (upgraded my system and lost my immersion tank) and I’m not sure how long till I bite the bullet and go down the diesel route.

Im in Scotland and it’s been -1 most of the day.  :'(

im getting it installed a week next wed mate so another 11 days yet. :)

Ah man! Thought it was this week. Doh.

Well, looking forward to seeing it next week then.

As a side note do you know if yours is going to be set up with a circulation feature? For instance when you turn your water off at the pole, the burner keeps running and pumps hot water back into your tank, warming that up?

I’ve heard of some doing that, and think that’s a good idea.

Griplatank know what they’re doing mind you. They seem to have the best hit box out there for reliability.

no idea jonny as ive never used a diesel heater before.im sure it will because it has a frost stat feature too to keep hoses/pumps from freezing up.

its a custom fit to my pure freedom tank and frame.they will also take my pump and controller out of my pumpbox and mount them with the heater. :)
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »
Probably no point circulating water other than frost protection.  It won't heat up by much if circulating it all the time while not in use. It will be a waste of diesel.

The system is designed to shut on and off during use saving fuel rather then sending water back to tank.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Splash & dash

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 10:49:39 pm »
Probably no point circulating water other than frost protection.  It won't heat up by much if circulating it all the time while not in use. It will be a waste of diesel.

The system is designed to shut on and off during use saving fuel rather then sending water back to tank.

No quite the opposite actually it is designed to run continually most people have a return to the tank with hot water mine will heat 1000 ltr by returning water to the tank by lunch time you can hardly bare to put your hand In the tank as the water is that hot , the last thing you want with a diesel heater is for it to be stop start all the time works far better if run all the time otherwise it will come up the screen causing premature failure

KS Cleaning

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:30 pm »

No quite the opposite actually it is designed to run continually most people have a return to the tank with hot water mine will heat 1000 ltr by returning water to the tank by lunch time you can hardly bare to put your hand In the tank as the water is that hot , the last thing you want with a diesel heater is for it to be stop start all the time works far better if run all the time otherwise it will come up the screen causing premature failure
This was the method I used when I had a Webasto 9kw heater, I used to run both pumps circulating back to the tank in the morning, ( wasn't very popular with the neighbours as it was quite noisy) when the water was cold first thing in the morning I ran the pumps on a low flow then gradually increased the flow as the water warmed up. I was also told that these heaters aren't designed to be  stop start. I also believe there is less draw on the batteries heating the water this way?

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 07:05:44 am »

I'm just going by the advise I was given by Grippa
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Jonny 87

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 07:11:31 am »

That’s what I was wondering.

We used to have a hot box when I worked for a company 10 years ago, and it was always failing, needing a new burner every few months and cost a fortune. That burner was set up so that every time you stopped the flow of water at the brush, it stopped the burner. In my head I always thought that it couldn’t be good for a burner constantly stopping and cooling down then firing back up again.

Will be interesting to see if grippatank set it with the recirculating.

With my old L5 gas heater if I recirculated my water, within half an hour of it recirculating the water in my tank went from cold, to warm. So I reckon with a webasto, it will easily be capable to run constant from say 8am to 12pm, then you’d have a tank of water well above 60 degrees to last you all afternoon. If not, you’d just fire up the burner again.

That should mean a healthier and longer life for the burner as it’s running constant for 3 or 4 hours a day, (rather than stop start) and also means your only using £5 or less of diesel.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 07:13:46 am »

Do you have a grippatank hot system?

If so, when you turn your flow off with a univalve or similar, does the burner cut out?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 07:16:28 am »

If so, when you turn your flow off with a univalve or similar, does the burner cut out?

No not yet buddy. Getting my grippa system upgraded next week.   

Jonny 87

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 07:22:37 am »

No not yet buddy. Getting my grippa system upgraded next week.

Just in time for the cold snap! Great stuff.

Anyone else have a grippatank hot system and know how it’s set up?

Can’t seem to find details online of how it runs.

I’d like to think there is some kind of bypass valve, so that hot water from the burner goes to the pole, then when waters turned off at the brush head the bypass valve kicks in and starts putting hot water back to the tank.

For me that would also mean I could have my van set up with just one user, but On the couple
Of days a week I have someone out with me then they will also benefit from hot water from the tank, all be it after a couple of hours or so.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:57 am »

Just in time for the cold snap! Great stuff.

Anyone else have a grippatank hot system and know how it’s set up?

Can’t seem to find details online of how it runs.

I’d like to think there is some kind of bypass valve, so that hot water from the burner goes to the pole, then when waters turned off at the brush head the bypass valve kicks in and starts putting hot water back to the tank.

For me that would also mean I could have my van set up with just one user, but On the couple
Of days a week I have someone out with me then they will also benefit from hot water from the tank, all be it after a couple of hours or so.

Hi Jonny

This is how Oliver explained it to me......

"The heater switches off when its upto temperature OR when the controllers are off / heater setting is off.

So in principle, yes if the pump is off, or DE is displayed, the heater will come upto heat quickly and turn off."

He also explained to me that heating the tank up using the circulation is extremely  inefficient. The system is to produce heat on demand.

Delta

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 07:39:55 am »
The Grippa system has no valve. You have a choice of simply using hot water at the brush head or plugging the hose reel back to the tank when not in use. If the frost stat triggers the heater recirculates the water through the reel and back to the tank.

Jonny 87

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:42 am »
Thanks guys!

👍

Starting to get the idea now. It’s a shame there’s not a bypass valve setting.

So am I right in saying that for the frost stat to work you have to remember to re-arrange your pipe work and connect back to tank?

Spruce

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 08:01:31 am »
Looking forward to next Wednesday! And I’m not even getting a Webasto installed.  ;D

I’m missing my hot water, (upgraded my system and lost my immersion tank) and I’m not sure how long till I bite the bullet and go down the diesel route.

I'm interested in how they are going to sort the exhaust out Daz. You have been worried about drilling holes in the van's floor to secure your tank, but now Grippa will want to drill at least 1 if not 2  holes in the floor to accommodate the 38mm exhaust pipe and air intake pipe.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 08:04:50 am »

I'm interested in how they are going to sort the exhaust out Daz. You have been worried about drilling holes in the van's floor to secure your tank, but now Grippa will want to drill at least 1 if not 2  holes in the floor to accommodate the 38mm exhaust pipe and air intake pipe.

The done thing nowadays seems to be...........

If you have a lease van and your handing it back in to the company, just strip out the flooring, and re-ply line it, covering all the evidence. Apparently you will Never have an issue that way. The companies don’t crawl underneath looking for small holes.

dazmond

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:21 am »

ill probably pay the 7k balloon payment at the end of the lease and keep the van spruce.i only do 3-4k a year.if i look after it i could get another 10 years out of it(at least).thats why ive decided to invest in a diesel heater.i wouldnt have one fitted if i were going to hand it back in a few years.im thinking longer term.

although i might change my mind in a few years.we ll see. ;D

Spruce

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 08:56:30 am »
Thanks guys!

👍

So am I right in saying that for the frost stat to work you have to remember to re-arrange your pipe work and connect back to tank?

As the saying goes; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ionics recirculate the heat back to the tank when the hose tap is switched off. It does it with a pressure relief valve. But the down side is that the pump runs all the time. The upside is that you will get hot water all the time. The next downside is that Ionics can't fit a thermostatic temperature control valve - on a low temperature setting the process wouldn't work as the flow back to the tank wouldn't be zapping enough heat from the system. Ionics have included a summer and winter switch will reduces the winter temperature by around 10 degrees depending on how they have wired the switch up.

The downside with the other heaters is that when the boiler switches off it takes 180 seconds to complete its shutdown cycle which can't be interupted. It then takes another 180 second to restart the boiler and takes longer still to reach 'working' temperature. So the window cleaner who just starts to clean again after a short break will find he soon has cold water at the brush head if the heater has just entered its shutdown mode.  If it takes him 6 minutes to clean the front or back windows then the boiler will only just start to get going when the job is completed. Its easy to get out of sync with the heaters shutdown modes.

Having invested a large sum of money in his system he may start to feel that he has been short changed if it happens often.

I get rather frustrated waiting for the controller to restart the flow if I have to wait 4 seconds, let alone 6 minutes plus.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:47 am »
the boiler wont shut down in between windows though spruce or else it wouldnt even get hot!

what ill do is when i start the van in the morning ill then fire up the boiler and recirculate back to tank while im on my way to my first job so my hoses are nice and supple from the off.

when i work,i work if you know what i mean.i dont faff about spruce.like today ive got 26 houses to clean all virtually right next to each other(only 2 van moves all day).same tomorrow and thursday.i do have days where im doing stand alones but ill spend at least30-60mins on each property.

better get off to work now.nice and sunny here in manchester. ;D

NWH

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
I love hot water and when my diesel heater has a new charger and a couple of other things fitted I’ll be well pleased,I was talking to a plumber yesterday his advise was 2 x 3 kw elements into the static tank,apparently it can be set to heat from anything to 100 degrees if you were parking up and hardly moving that’s got to be the best option no battery drain to worry about. I’m going to be installing a new static system soon I may give it a go as said on here and by him it can be ready up and running in a couple of hours.

Jonny 87

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2017, 04:39:48 pm »
Thanks guys!

👍

As the saying goes; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ionics recirculate the heat back to the tank when the hose tap is switched off. It does it with a pressure relief valve. But the down side is that the pump runs all the time. The upside is that you will get hot water all the time. The next downside is that Ionics can't fit a thermostatic temperature control valve - on a low temperature setting the process wouldn't work as the flow back to the tank wouldn't be zapping enough heat from the system. Ionics have included a summer and winter switch will reduces the winter temperature by around 10 degrees depending on how they have wired the switch up.

The downside with the other heaters is that when the boiler switches off it takes 180 seconds to complete its shutdown cycle which can't be interupted. It then takes another 180 second to restart the boiler and takes longer still to reach 'working' temperature. So the window cleaner who just starts to clean again after a short break will find he soon has cold water at the brush head if the heater has just entered its shutdown mode.  If it takes him 6 minutes to clean the front or back windows then the boiler will only just start to get going when the job is completed. Its easy to get out of sync with the heaters shutdown modes.

Having invested a large sum of money in his system he may start to feel that he has been short changed if it happens often.

I get rather frustrated waiting for the controller to restart the flow if I have to wait 4 seconds, let alone 6 minutes plus.

Hmmmm, that’s interesting spruce.

So just thinking out loud, it should I’m probciple be very very easy to rig up a pressure relief valve yourself. Just fit that between the pump and reel, with a return to the tank. Then as soon as you turn the water off at your brush head, the pressure builds, opens the relief valve and starts putting hot water back into the tank.

When you turn the water back on at the brush head the pressure relief valve will be closed and then you divert the hot water to your brush.

As you said, downside is that the pump runs constantly, but you can have plenty enough power to combat that, but the plus side is that you get rid of the 180 second shut down, and get a hot tank of water by lunch time meaning you can turn off the boiler.

What exactly is it that kicks in the 180 second shut down?

NWH

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:43 pm »
If you don’t recirculate or keep the heater going the temp will drop if I want the water to remain as hot as possible for the next job I do this,it will climb back up to 60-70degrees but you have to have it on a slow flow on the controller I put it down to 10 in a minute or so it’ll climb 1 degree a second until it’s up to around the higher figure above.