the red carpet

Desperate Times
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:21:25 pm »
Call for desperate measures
Going door knocking today for the first time

Dont really know what to expect, but nothing ventured and all that.

Hopefully will do about 4 hours from 2-6

Will post results when i get in later

Wish me luck ;D

spindle

Re: Desperate Times
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:37:31 pm »
good luck red

never tried but must be worth a go!!!!!!!

did u try calling back old custys to remind them that it has been that long since the last clean??

life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:47:03 pm »
Red, when I did it i worked on the line that I was checking if my leaflet had been delivered,

so when they opened the door I'd say 'Hello do you remember receiving a leaflet like this during the last few days? then show them it, when they say no tell them you've tried a different company and are just checking,

then say 'the leaflet had a special 3 rooms for the price of 2 offer on it and people are going to miss out' ....bla..bla.bla..etc

this is how I did it, but it is sole destroying until someone says yes :D :D

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Macarthur

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:00:07 pm »
I tried when I first went full time self employed, takes a long time as you have to wait at the door and speak to potential custys, and I agree can be quite sole destroying. 
I personally didnt gain any new customers when I tried, despite some saying they were definately interested and would give me a call.
After my initial experience with this, I would sooner hand deliver leaflets with prices on showing a special half price offer.
Nigel.
Orion Cleaning Services - Southampton

Steve Dudley

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:26 pm »
Think it is probably worth a try - but very hard work. As said previously, worth going back over existing customers and either calling or writing to them (probably better and less irritating). Let them know all the services you offer...

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:37:27 pm »
Dan,

Do not get me wrong, are you still on Fast Track?

I wish you well with door knocking, need to get on Telephone myself bye

davep

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 05:31:57 pm »
how long have you been trading Red?  I seem to remember posts where you had bookings well in advance..  Is it up and down in Essex?

Robert Watson

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 06:03:59 pm »
Good luck Dan.
You will get work. If you can manage 4 hours your a better man than me.
That doesnt sound much, but when you get a few grumpy gits giving you a hard time, its hard not to take it personally and keep going. Once I got a job on the first knock, the rest was easy.
Second mikes post.
Remember to smile  ;D
The Kitchen Door Centre

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »
dave I can tell you it is very up and down in essex :P slow to say the least
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

The Great One

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:43:10 pm »
HI

is that sole destroying as in the soles of your feet

or Soul destroying, as in your immortal soul   ;)

Regards

Martin 8)

the red carpet

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
Oh well,

Didnt knock myself got somebody else to do it as i really didnt fancy it ;D

He was knocking doors on one side of the road while i leafleted the others

He knocked just over a hundred houses and got to speak with 58 people

One said yes to a quote but could we give her 5 minutes as she was just in the middle of something so i gave her 10 minutes and went back to find her just pulling of in her car. She said she was really sorry but had forgot she had a apointment but asked for a card and said she would definatly call tomorrow to arrange a quote.

Another five were really interested but said they would also call to book a quote as they were in the middle of things again.

Two were rude and stroppy.

And all the rest just said no thank you.

So not as good as i hoped but got a bit of interest and got about 400 leaflets out so should at least get a quote out of it eventually.

Gonna try again tomorrow ::)

Robert Watson

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:51 pm »
Tenner says you will land three.
Out of 58 people that would be a result.
Keep it up and let us know how you get on, youve got me thinking.
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:11 pm »
we did 5ooo and got nil :P in one area just to build your spirits up ;D
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:23:07 pm »
I dont belive you, surely thats imposible?

5000 leaflets or 5000 door knocks??

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:15 pm »
Not sure anybody Buys from the door these days, looks like gypseys, desperate and people like to think they are buying not being sold to.

A local carpet cleaning company door knocked in our area but we found most people  then searched the net, phone book for the most local company to get an alternative quote, so we picked up extra work as we have better equipment, and they said we gave them more advice and knew what we was talking about

Leaflets do take time to work.

I did an hours leaflets the other morning and got talking to a homeowner she asked a few questions and booked a full house in.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 11:46:02 pm »
You have to be really positive on the doors do not take first No second No remain positive break customer down.

Very hard only 3% of population can do it.

Thats why Robert Saunders Joe Polish Howard Partridge and Ian Harpper teach direct response marketing.

woodman

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 08:29:04 am »
Hi Red,
(fancy a cinema clean  ;D)

You have to aware that in more and more areas they have begun 'No Cold Calling Zones' Bedfordshire is one such county that does this, and as such households are actively encouraged not to buy from at the door, the implication being that door knockers will be scamming or as Paul says Gypsies.

I would look for an alternative, leaflet drops being the most obvious.

I have had a company contact me that is based in St Albans that is offering a good deal on leaflet drops at £20 per thousand, your leaflet would go with only two others and of course would be the only CC one.

I have not used them and can not vouch for them but if you want their details drop me a line. ;)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 08:39:27 am »
Hi Guys,

When I first set up a CC business in Enfield, 1982 my partner and I went cold calling after work most evenings and on Sat morning before playing football.

We were reasonably successful and would reward ourselves with a couple of beers afterwards and on Saturdays a couple of gallons :o

Cold calling with two is more fun because of the competition aspect .

However when I set up business in Essex in 1989 I couldn't face cold calling houses but having been in sales for a while I was much more comfortable cold calling businesses.They are used to receiving visits and are less likely to be stroppy.

This worked well and I still have a couple of customers from that time.May be worth a try.

Good luck.

Doug

the red carpet

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:29 am »
Oh well gonna give it another shot today.

Iv only got a stairs and landing booked in for today, so gonna spend a bit of time knocking again.

Im gona do at least 42 more that way i have done 100 and i will see were that takes me.

Iv just had one ring to book a quote for a suite from yesterdays knocks, so thats a start.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 02:31:16 pm »
Red

I take it things have gone quiet then, It is slow around North Hampshire and have just done a 1000 letter mail shot to my current customers.

Hope it works for you.

CHeers

Neil

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 03:31:33 pm »
that was leaflets,in total we did 20,000 not bad response not great :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

bennymon

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 04:13:42 pm »
hi terry how many jobs did you get from 20.000 leaflets   im thinking of putting some more out the trouble is finding someone to deliver them i can do it myself at the moment as i have very little work [but i hate doing it] but when i pick up its not easy finding someone you can trust  ;)

Liahona

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 04:47:19 pm »
Del, it was good talking to you the other day, best wishes with what you are up to, best, Dave.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:59 pm »
the first 10,000 was our first,we ever done got about 4,£500 of work,the next lot was nil,we had a company do the first they put the leaflets in envelopes,which looked much better,we are going back with the first company,and will do a massive drop in may :-\ it is a gamble :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

bennymon

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 04:59:59 pm »
hi dave  it was great to speak with you and i will be in touch soon  :)

the red carpet

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 05:09:27 pm »
Terry iv never got less than 1 job per thousand leaflets ever, and iv tried a few different styles over a year and a half period

name rank serial number types, special offer types, info types etc

in my opinion 1 job per thousand is terrible and i dont belive for one second that those companys delivered your leaflets as if you put any leaflet out in those volumes you should get calls, they probably done 2000 and binned the rest.

if you just wrote i clean carpets and your phone number on 10,000 bits of scrap paper you would get 4 jobs

my advice to you is dont ever use that company again, have you tried delivering some yourself to see what sort of response you get when you know they are getting posted?

the red carpet

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 05:10:41 pm »
Anyway back to door knocking, spoke with 78 people now

And booked one small job £54.99
And booked two quotes for Monday

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 05:22:59 pm »
yes it has crossed my mind did they all go :-\,but the first lot did get posted by the royal mail :-\we did do some ourselfs some time back got one job out of a lot of walking around :-\did not seem worth that effort,we do lots of adds,its still to slow on the carpet side as to what we advertise :-\,starting to scratch our heads :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Steve Chapman

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:03 pm »
Red,

I know you got set up with a T/M around the same time as us, and what we did to ensure a bit of extra work coming in, was to get a free editorial done for us in the local paper, and it was fabulous, the phone didn't stop ringing for days :D

It's Here on a post somewhere ???

On top of that we copied the feature and sent it out to most of our big customers and this has seen us through January and Feb with the most work since we started.

We are looking to do another feature (free of course ;D) in another couple of local mags.

The secret is to make it sound like news, i.e. new product, service, in our case a new van and truckmount.

I think free advertising is an avenue that gets overlooked sometimes, so we are concentrating on that for a while now.

Hope work picks up for you soon, I normally find if you have a quiet spot it last no more than two weeks and then things get started up again!

Regards
steve

the red carpet

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:38 pm »
Terry, The only way to do it is do some yourself and monitor it.
you need to do about 5000 yourself and write down what this brings you in.

You will find whatever response you get the next 5000 and every 5000 after will get about the same (unless you change something)

So if you get a decent response, all you have to work on is finding a reliable distributor and they should get simular.
And if the response isnt good its back to the drawing board designing a new leaflet.

That is the only way to do it if your paying somebody to deliver 10,000 leaflets and you dont even know what 10,000 leaflets should bring you back on average then you are just leaving yourself wide open to being had over unfortunatly.

paul wright

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 05:32:37 pm »
red yes u can sometimes get zil  responce to leaflets   in the many years i hav done leaflets  sometimes my self and put out 5000 and got nil responce     then ive done another 5000 and got 10   and from the same half price leaflet, its a numbers game with luck chucked in

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 05:33:20 pm »
yes I do agree with  you    100% :'( it could be a costly learning curve :-\
but I fink luck and where you live counts
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

paul wright

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 05:40:13 pm »
done a plush houseing delv once  houses  150000-400000  about 1500 houses  got nil responce   done it 6 weeks later same leaflet got 15 jobs   its all about luck

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 05:45:27 pm »
tell you what paul its bloody depressing to fink its costing and nufings going on :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

the red carpet

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 05:46:09 pm »
Iv never in a year and a half of doing leaflets had a (5000 leaflet drop), that didnt make a profit

My worst ever drop that i know were delivered, brought in around 6 jobs at around £100 a piece

Dont get me wrong iv had drops done by companys and got very little if anything back but in my mind thats just because they have binned them.

If i deliver them minimum 1 job per thousand
If i get my brother in law and his mate to do it minimum 1 job per thousand
If i get a guy who works with me out doing it minimum 1 job per thousand
A guy i use at the moment gets minimum 1 job per thousand
And there was another guy who used to do it but became ill who got minimum 1 job per thousand
And iv started a new guy with 1600 this week and booked in two quotes from them allready and he only started Monday

And i think this is possible even with a not great leaflet all i had on the leaflet i got 6 jobs from 5000 was my logo, carpet and upholstery cleaning, quick drying, competitive rates, and my phone number.

If you aint getting one job per thousand then your leaflets aint getting delivered, i bet nobody can tell me they have posted 5000 thereself and got no response its imposible

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:30 pm »
In the early days for me (17 yrs ago)I did a leaflet drop of about 2000 on a large estate near us.
I got 1 reply, and ..... I had never heard of Belgian Wilton. After a light prespray it pulled the gripper out of the concrete, shrank 9 ins on 9ft  and I had the first and only insurance claim for carpet.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

prodry

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 06:13:53 pm »
Leaflets do work. Keep them simple to the point. Pose a problem offer them a solution and then give them a reason to call straight away. People who call from leaflets are impulse buyers or need a carpet cleaner.

Dont baffle them with trade talk they couldnt care about. they only want to know things like their carpets are not going to take days to dry, that you are not a traveller, they are getting a good deal etc.

Before and during being carpet cleaning I was an estate and letting agent for 9 years. Another leaflet driven business. The leaflets that worked were similar and very simple. Also local driven  eg. property sold in your nieghbourhood, similar properties required.

I use a simple leaflet similar to the one below. we print ourseves onto bright yellow A4 paper from an old B&W laser printer that we have refilled then cut into two A5 leaflets. Cost around £6 a 1000 to produce.  We change our prices depending on the area you are going to hit and put out a few with no price list just 20% off to the up market and village areas, however calls from these are never that good and the difference between the better price we might get is often lost in the increased cost in getting each job.

We spend min. £200 on delivery every week, using parish mags, delivery firms, free papers, local kids. Been stung so many times giving big amounts like 10k to one firm, person.  Also between three of us deliver 200 each, each day, four days a week.

last months average of 5 jobs a 1000. Average Residential ticket price £70.00. Our residential leafleting also leads to commercial work. We also quote over the phone on most jobs saving more time and money.

There are many on here that will call the leaflet splash and dash rates or bait and switch. I sleep well at night and all our custys are aware what they will be paying when we arrive and happy with the results. I could not see the point of going to see some young family on a modern housing estate and quoting with a laptop and trying to get £100 to clean a synthetic lounge carpet. That is going to take around an hour to clean. 

I couldnt sleep at night if I did that. Thats called premimum selling . Over selling something for much more then its worth and illegal in some industries. How many people who bought a Kirby vacuum years ago for several thousand pounds bought a second one?

the red carpet

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 06:40:47 pm »
I reckon you could double most of those prices whilst still getting the same ammount of work, you will still be classed as competitive and i dont think you would be ripping anybody off, farr from it if you do a good job.

Why not stick them up 50% for a month and see how you get on you might be pleasantly suprised.

prodry

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »
The prices are only a bait, they always pay more then what is written. Or get more done then they first wanted. The prices are still afordable to most and we get most of what we quote. We sell deoudourise, stain guard, spotters etc on most jobs to also get price up.

More jobs = more referals and more repeat work.

As I said also the prices are changed from area to area. We are lucky to have about 10 towns in a 20 mile radius of us.

prodry

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 07:06:17 pm »
Just to add to previos we have two company names, one using price list one not.

the red carpet

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:43 pm »
You say you get most of what you quote, how many would you say you get out of ten?

I was getting 70% 7 out of 10 at prices roughly double to what you have shown

I then started higher pricing £100+ for lounge, and started getting just 50% 5 out of 10

Im debating what road to go down with pricing now as its great getting £100+ for a lounge but not much good if your sat indoors most days.

prodry

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:38 pm »
Red

We get most of what we quote 100% some weeks (from the price list leaflets excluding other leaflets and other advertisng). People already have an idea on what they will be spending We just push it up a bit until we get resitance. But we won't walk away from a job unless we are seriously booked up.

Dont let the prices on the leaflets fool you, we havent cleaned a lounge for 25 ever and never will.

Whats gone wrong with your fasttrack, is it not having the resources to get it out there or other reason. dont take that the wrong way just interested to know.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »
It's a bit misleading to work out results from leaflets in Jan/Feb/ & March, Its just not the time of year to have your carpets cleaned.

Would you emply a CC in Feb. with all the rain we have just had, I know I wouldn't, dont worry, nearly spring and then its work all the way to Xmas!

Always amazes me that I still get regular work in the 1st 3 months of the year.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

prodry

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 07:56:01 pm »
The sun always shines in Essex Phil.

By the way Your Going Down with the Southend.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:04 pm »
well we are flat out here guess thats the diffents in prices again a got beaten up about being cheap but ive still got four exels flat out  ;D and have been from the second week in jan

and with the truck mount soon too be here i cant wait  :P and im still chargeing more and getting the work !  ;D oh yes

the red carpet

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »
Be carefull, i had a Excell working flat out, then started charging more and got a truck mount thats when it all started going wrong ???

stevegunn

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:15 pm »
Red

Has that been the problem you expanded too quickly?After running the exel then going to a t/m with all the extra running costs plus the payment for the t/m.I had quite a good customer base before going to a t/m and its growing because of the t/m more referrals etc etc

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 09:56:47 pm »
Red, I think the problem may be you have put your prices up to much in one go, Did you do it gradually ?? I have been in business 12 months and have just started to inch my prices up bit by bit and we are still getting the work.

I also think it was a bad time to put your prices up as everybody says Jan to march is more quite than the rest of the year.

craigp

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 10:02:23 pm »
ever tried emails, cut and paste a  "Its about cleaning your office carpet" letter and send as many out as you can, its free!

Cloverleaf

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 10:28:57 pm »
Red Carpet, I think you need a little help here  :o

conallon

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 03:06:26 am »
Red

your doing good mate, your earnings for your first year were very similiar to mine

you will have a much better year two

be careful not to go to mad with prices cause you will shed a lot of customers quickly

saying that, now you've got a t/m your referals will double !

Conrad

Had a young lad come door knocking a month back, offering carpet cleaning  ;D window cleaning ect

he is now cleaning my windows once a fortnight !,so it does work, although not my cup of tea

Jason Hedges

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 03:29:00 am »
Hi Red,

Been reading this post with interest. I'm approaching my 3rd year in the business so not much longer than you (wish I could afford a truckmount!). You've inspired me on many occasions with your positive posts. Since reading your post on google adwords and changing my keywords and cost per click I've had so many more displays and click throughs and have booked half a dozen jobs in through my website alone and have more pending, thanks for the advice ;D.

I was VERY quiet through January as most of us were so rang some old customers and asking if they needed anything doing (First time of ringing previous customers, dont like rejection!). After the first couple of no thanks got a bit disheartened but when the third said yes and a some more after that I'd drummed up a nice few jobs after a few hours on the phone which kept the wolves from the door.

Now picked up again round here so booked up all next week apart from Tuesday when going to cleaning show.

I've been told and know I should send out reminder letters or make calls anyway but normally got enough work to keep me busy so dont bother.

However I kept my prices the same, if I'd have tried the same with a major price rise probably wouldnt have booked any in.

As you've now got a t/m and can work faster why dont your contact existing customers offering a price freeze on your old prices but offering a better clean with your new equipment!

You can obviously do more work in less time with the t/m.

Better to be out working at you old rates and doing more jobs a day than knocking on strangers doors and being told 'no thanks'. I couldnt handle that!

It has picked up for me since the weather has improved I'm sure you'll find the same.

Hope things pick up for you!

All the best mate,

Jason.

gwrightson

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 07:00:55 am »
What a load of rubbish some people talk" if you have a t/m your refferals will double" I dont think so!!
do a good job, turn up smart, be polite, be helpful and be on time.
thats when you get your referals,
why do tm owners have to try and always be better? when clearly their is no difference, perhaps speed!!! 
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

craigp

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 07:46:27 am »
You want one really, Geoff, ;D

why dont you buy one.

you dont really think a protables as good do you?

carpetguy

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:19 am »
Geoff is correct in what he's saying................to fall for the illusion , that by spraying a particular brand of Aftershave , girls will be ripping your clothes off is absolute nonesense.

Same aplies to anything..........being knowledeable
                                                having experience
                                                got the biggest ( anything )

It will make no difference ( if nobody knows ) and you will only get referrals, on the results you achieve, in whatever market you're active in.
Carpet cleaning is no different, from Decorating / Landscaping / Hairdressing, etc, where results are immediate and can be judged as ............BRILLIANT / GOOD / MEDIOCRE / POOR.

It makes no difference to the client, whether someone turns up, with a Puzzi or a huge Portable, or hoses, running through accross the pavement and into the house, from a van.

YOU ARE GOING TO BE JUDGED ON WHAT YOU PRODUCE.

I have said it before and it's something everyone needs to take heed of.............JUST HOW GOOD / HOW THOROUGH / HOW CONCERNED are you, about the results you achieve.

There are very few perfectionists, out there, who give clients the dedication they would wish others to give them.

Some give a poor service and think they are much better than they really are ............others know perfectly well, that they are POOR, or  MIDDLE OF THE ROAD and are out to get the maximum ££££££££££'s for minimal effort.

The occasional one, is focussed, on QUALITY and CREDIBILITY and realises, that this only comes through achieving high standards in their sevice and getting the deserved referrals.

Problem is..........some are led to believe, they can get to the TOP ACHIEVER level in a matter of weeks, SORRY it just aint REALISTIC.

If you want to get a high volume of work and build a bank balance, YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO DO SO, by being a TESCO or an ASDA, rather than a HARRODS.

THAT IS THE REALITY

Once you are in a position of solvency ( you don't owe anyone anything ) you can GRADUALLY raise your prices and market your business, accordingly.

Be realistic and do what you know will work.

Dan was following his own instincts last year and apparently doing pretty well, until he became convinced, that the way to go, was ............powerfull machine  / impress the clients / raise the prices, get rich.

Dan...........go back to your roots and follow your instincts............what you were doing a year ago was fine.  Just adding 10 or 20% would have kept you busy and avoided the frustration, you're going through.

1st Clean got slagged for low pricing and I was one of those who suggested a small increase would make no difference
She reluctantly followed this advice and is running to full capacity...........AND MAKING A PROFIT.

But then, why listen to me............

best of luck, whichever direction you follow, or whoever you listen to

rob

david holland

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 08:47:37 am »
 carpet guy , has just summed up business totally- tesco and asda are going for the masses whilst Harrods are going for quality (perceived)

Try this

Next time your in a top end home - ask them which supermarket do they go in - normal answer of a top end home is all of them , why  because they understand money management - heinz baked beans at say Lidls is 8p cheaper compared to say Sainsburys - and normally the richer they are the more they know a bout the best daeals going on

regards

David

david holland

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2007, 08:49:51 am »
sorry about some of the spelling mistakes !!!!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2007, 09:00:11 am »
Daniel

You have a lot of past customers.

I am presuming you have now had a master class in surveying and selling.

Why not experiment with the Three Step Free room letter.

If you have a few spare days at present you will not loose much if you fail to get extra work.

You have to send it to the clients you think would have extra rooms done etc.

Perhaps 100 or 200 letters

Ps two of us have asked about Fast Track have you been sworn to secrecy?

carpetguy

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 09:15:38 am »
Mr Holland..........

You are absolutely right in what you jut said. I was born into and have lived in one of the most affluent villages in my part of the world, with houses, not just in the milion pound range, but 3-5 million and I grew up with the kids from those wealthy people............they never had any money.

The reason was, their parents ran their homes, like a business and every penny was accounted for..........I've seen the books !

People like Branson / Bannatyne / Tom Hunter / David Murray / Michelle Mone, etc, all mega millionaires will give you a tougher time, over pricing, than your average consumer.

Whether we like it or not, the market, today, is PRICE DRIVEN and you need to be pretty damn special, to command a higher than average ticket, YES IT CAN BE DONE, but not overnight and not by 80% of the businesses.

If you aspire to the achievements, of the above, consider what they and others like them did.

Branson.............DISCOUNTED MARKETING WITH HIGH VOLUME.
Bannatyne.........MARKETED TO PEOPLES VANITY
Hunter...............JJB SPORTS.......SEE BRANSON
Murray...............FOUND A NICHE MARKET IN STEEL ( OWNS GLASGOW RANGERS )
Mone.................WONDERBRA

All of them marketed their business at the high volume markets

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 09:24:43 am »
I thought Virgin Atlantic was upmarket and went more for Value Added  Extra Room etc

Do agree with you however.

When I was in Record Industry we wore suits they wore jeans

Dave_Lee

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2007, 04:42:31 pm »
Regarding gradually raising prices. Why gradually? This is done only so the CC himself gradually gets used to quoting more. If its done on a continuous course until the conversions start to falter, I am not so sure that is the right way. After all, if you raise those prices over 12 months by a total of 50%. Any clients you last did work for over 12 months ago is now going to have to pay 50% more for the same job. Why not just put them up 50% in one go - do you think you will lose all your repeat clients if you do? You wont, I did it a few years ago and hardly lost any, but my turneover shot up. I have just increased my prices by over 20% and again have no resistance at all.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

ianharper

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2007, 04:46:03 pm »
dave

when i did it, my past customers said i thought you where a bit cheap.

carpetguy

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2007, 05:37:20 pm »
Dade

Gradually, as suggested by, me, would be based on increasing charges, annually. Don't be impatient and accept, that you are a novice for at least the first year.

Too many new starts are being influenced, by talk of high earnings, must have's, etc. This is no different from any other service business.................how would you feel about a first year apprentice, servicing your Beemer / Merc / Central heating boiler ??????????????????

If you market a c/c service at prices that equate to around £35 - £40 per hour, you should be busy enough to earn around £30 k, or more per annum.

If you increase prices by 5-10% at the end of the first year, you probably won't lose anyone and simply earn more for doing the same work.

the red carpet

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2007, 10:33:27 pm »
Ian Gourlay

Re; Fastrack

No not sworn to secrecy ;D
Sorry for any questions not answered, its just everytime i look back in on this thread i have been asked a load more questions its hard keeping up with them all especially when another couple of people have posted and its started to go of topic.

I think Fastrack has good potential it seems a good way to build your buisness but does require some investment, maybey to generate the kind of leads i need to be getting i need to change my current marketing but this takes resources i havent got at the moment.

I personally think i might put the fastrack systems on hold for at least a month as i am sinking fast and whilst what i was doing before wasnt making me rich it was turning a profit so i think i need to go back to this to get myself out of the hole i have dug for myself. But will be returning to a lot of the fastrack stuff when i get back on my feet as it does have a lot more potential but needs to be done properly.

I have done 50 quotes now with the laptop and higher prices etc
and have only got 50% of the jobs weras i was getting 72% before
i have also found i am getting a lot more cancellations and people having second thoughts afterwards
i done 7 quotes on monday and so far none have booked (this dosent pay the bills)
also people expect so much more, i have never had so many callbacks, no matter how bad the carpet is to start with even after pre-qualifying with the client i have found if the carpet is anything less than perfect you get a callback

And i dont mean im not doing the work to a high standard, say theres bad draught marks i will explain to the client that the whole carpet will look great but these marks will probably cause a bit of a problem i explain that they will improve but may not remove completly and will return over time.

i then remove 99% of the marks and the next day get a phone call saying that the can still faintly see them in certain lights would i mind returning to have another go, its not complaints but i just find that if they are paying top dollar they expect a new carpet out of it and imo at the end of they day cleaning is a compromise and you cant expect 100% perfect everytime.

That said 50 quotes is a limited test and allthough i have only booked 50% 7 of them have signed up for maintenance so could end up being good regular clients for years to come (and the will refer people of the same quality)

Another point i think is that with the ft system you really need to see both husband and wife together as because you are giving them three different service levels they allways say "ok sounds good but i will need to talk to my husband about it" and thats it you may aswell forget about that job :'(

99% of the clients i attract are ringing to get there carpets cleaned (they are ready to make a decision on getting there carpets cleaned) i find once you start offering protection and maintenance etc they have to stop to think, these people are impulse buyers making them stop and think isnt a great idea in my opinion, why stall somebody who wants to pay you money ???

i think it would be better to upsell once you have done the clean myself.

I will be using a lot of there stuff in the future but will tailor a lot of it to suit my buisness

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2007, 11:00:23 pm »
I have watched this with some interest, as i was thinking about fast track. But i think my customers are the same as REDS. they want it done and thats it.

It wanted to get customers on main plans a few years ago but it just didnt seam to take off.........maybe i didnt push it enough but i was busy then all the time too............. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

si i know where you are coming from .....
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

the red carpet

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2007, 12:10:10 am »
Dont let my experience put you off i think the maintenance plans are brilliant, its money in the bank even when your sick or on holiday.

Iv pretty much definatly landed a comercial maintenance at £176.97 a month and iv got seven domestic that come to about £100 a month. Thats getting on for £300 a month and i only started about two months ago and its the slowest time of year.

Imagine if i kept on what i would be getting in a year or two :o

I just dont think that these options should be offered in the way they are at the time of the quote as it stalls people who are ready to make a buying decision.

darrenlee1

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2007, 12:50:39 am »
hi red
so are you saying fast track program you sell maintance on qoute
surely its better to get them first time and while doing clean try and get them on a program

darren

p.s pricing is real hard  and probaby feel better to be owt there and doing a 1 hour job for less money than sitting waitin and hopin
its all well and good tryin for top money like alot on here say. but how many customers are out there, that will pay crazy prices to how many cleaners there are in a area chasing same job , i think not many.
a lot of people dont value floorcoverings never mind the cleaning of them, 6 years ago i had a flooring shoowroom next door to a kitchen showroom, me thinkin loads a sales, was i wrong,
no i was right, but they would spend 7000 on a kitchen and wont to cover floor for £150, the flooring industry as done it to them selves cheap half decent lookin carpet fitted next day, and this is what at least 70% of people buy, so it comes to point how much can we charge to clean a  carpet when madam can buy new for a couple a hundred quid.
20 years ago i wood get asked refit me stairs or room with carpet mam aunt gave and clean it this never happens know they just go buy new, we are a stop gap for must people when there a little skint,
but in saying this i admire all you guys that are trying to educate customers into buying better carpet and mainting it.
sos about spelling
 darren

ianharper

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2007, 06:52:18 am »
Red

Don't give up. the fix is that you are over selling. you need to keep prospect expect ion at a realist level.

you need to explain about the difference between spots and stains and that spots will come out and stains are not guarantee to come out. I am sure you have been taught to get the customer to ID all stain as it makes it easier to get them out. if they cant then it puts the responsibility back on to them. how can you be expected to get them out if they cant tell you what they are?

widen the price distance between basic clean and your clean with protection. so that you are pitching for basic or maintenance.

so that you don't have to take a step back get some cleaning contracts that you can do at night or early. this will take the pressure off you when quoting.

You are very brave talking about thes issues here, and I wish to say that if you need any help I am offering it.

I think that you have highlighted one of the small problems with this program and that its not easy to talk about problems in a positive environment. it takes skill to spot people that need it and help. I have never understood why Robert lets so many cleaners just leave without fixing their problems. maybe he is to busy. one way would be one to one calls setup periodically.

Keep going my friend, the rewards are worth it.

Respect

Ian Harper

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2007, 09:46:15 am »
Dan,

Somtimes i think you are too honest.

Yes I was thinking about your situation yesterday and thinking you were doing OK last year why not do what you were doing then.

We all wish you well.

Regards

Ian

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2007, 10:24:07 am »
its all about money.the more you spend on adds every where and getting your name out there,but thats by no wat assured of getting work,as we ::) are finding out :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2007, 12:25:10 pm »
doesnt fastrack come will a full money back guarantee? if so send it all back and get your 3 grand back.  Then hire a part-time helper who's sole job is to put out leaflets.

the key to quick success in carpet cleaning is to learn from people who know what they are talking about and not the pretenders, the hard thing is to be able to recognize the difference.

Mike

spindle

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:09 pm »
a certain saint len once told me....

minimise costs=maximise profit

if you dont need it.........dont buy it!!
if you dont use it.......sell it!!

i think that dan needs to go on the foot patrol and get posting leaflets!!
imo it is the best medium to use for advertising!

i think that some people here spend too much on advertising..........and end up getting too little return.........
isnt it a bit of a trap??
if you spend ££££ on advertising........and you only get xxxx in work.......wouldnt it be almost economical to keep the money in your pocket/bank for those rainy days?

yes we need to advertise but where do you draw the line......i think that a lot of new c/c get swallowed up in all the costs/hype surrounding advertising and also equipment needed to do a job!

life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

craigp

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2007, 02:46:20 pm »
Dan,

can you not stop your payments to FT just to give you time to get sorted out?

In my first couple of years the key to my survival was keeping out goings as low as poss.

Remember that leaflet you helped me with, that got the best response i've had from a leaflet.

davep

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2007, 02:52:29 pm »
What so you guys find you get back from advertising?  £4 for every £1 spent?

mark_roberts

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2007, 05:22:49 pm »
Red

Have you got a plan.  Whats your point in being in business.  Thats what you use to justify how well/bad your doing not turnover. 

Maybe you have starting running too soon with the TM and helper etc.  With your turnover you dont need a helper so get rid of him or get him to deliver flyers.  You need to keep doing what your doing it just takes time.

Set your prices according to you plan.  Access how things are going every month and adjust accordingly.  Are you in fast track?  Then get on the phone to Robert and make him earn his money.

Mark

carpetguy

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2007, 05:29:24 pm »
I think this might be the first time I've ever agreed with you Mr Roberts, but you're spot on !

rob

ianharper

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2007, 09:19:33 am »
Mark

With respect

One working on you business and not in it can benefit you in the long run. if you take this way you need to cover wages and the way i would do this is contract work. office cleaning etc. it hard to take that step at whatever point your are in your business development. I think the earlier you do it the easier it will be.

two, Mike has a point Robert does not know our end as much as we do. at least with Joe polish he has a carpet cleaning business. i know he sold half of it but he still has a insight into things when markets change or any other operational problems.

I don't think Robert teaches and keeps reminding students about demographics, when you comment to this type of investment this takes on a very important role.

Business plans should always be updated and reviewed with incoming data adjusting up or down your goals. it this that will keep you afloat.

Faith in any system is important, but not blind faith.

Respect to you mark

Ian Harper

Dave_Lee

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2007, 01:30:36 pm »
Red,
I am absolutely sure that if you got in touch with Robert Saunders and explained the difficulties you are facing, you will find hin extremely helpful. Thats all part of Fast Track, sharing problems. It is also abig part of what you pay into Fast Track for, so use it. Do NOT be frightened of admitting to Robert that you need help - he will want to know about it. I have done Fast Track and I have been where you find yourself today. You have shown your commitment to your business by the fact that you have put your money down, and if I can be of any help to you as a fellow Fast Tracker, you only have to get in touch. I have sent you my phone number etc by E mail. Best of luck.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2007, 03:57:36 pm »
Red,

Sounds like you are in a slump like athletes have every now and then. You've achieved an aweful lot in a relitively short period of time.

You also have committed yourself quite heavily with the TM etc and maybe your motivation has wained somewhat with the added mental burden.

Progress is never linear in anything, let alone business.

Look after yourself otherwise everything will collapse like a pack of cards.

Matt Read

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »
With regard to the replacing carpets instead of cleaning , people with that attitude won't pay top dollar for cleaning  because they don't pay top dollar for the carpets. I wouldn't have thought fast track (not that i know much about it ) would want you to target that type of customer. This sounds like i'm a bit of a chancer i guess but i normally adjust my price's accordingly, if i'm in a home with acres of wilton then my cleaning price ,even at the top end of my scale would only be a small percentage of replacement costs, whereas a nylon carpet in an average lounge on its own i would price at the lower end of my scale. Theres so many different scenario's in this trade, some jobs i price on time because its too much stop/start , commercial is completely different again.
Matt

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2007, 09:34:48 pm »
yer your right I quote depending on value of carpet,  if its a 5k carpet then its gonna cost me more to replace it should I damage it, I am therefore risking more and therefore want to raise the stakes and make the risk (all beit a small one) more worthwhile. plus the owner of a nice carpet usually has a nice house that you have to take extra time being careful,

the red carpet

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2007, 10:00:16 pm »
Decided to go back to pricing per room today as oposed to square foot
left the laptop and tape measure indoors

Done 13 quotes, and booked 10 others look good as well just waiting for them to get back to me
Came home with £1442.22 worth of orders
average job ticket £144.22 and iv still got the opertunity to up-sell protection when i get there

Could it be that back to basics works better ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

AquaMagic

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2007, 10:14:22 pm »
Could be the case that, thats what you do best RED, maybee someone else can get the bigger tickets on less orders, but somerthing tells me you like to be busy all the time and like to see the cash rolling in even if its less than some on fastrack say they get, well done anyway looks like you are back on the up, Sales are all about Troughs and Peaks and essentialy way are a Sales may while ever you are looking for work.  Im testing an unusuall leaflet strategy this week, ill let you know how it goes when the results are in, but so far 200 leaflets this morning and two bookings over the phone a lot more going out tommorow so if the trend continues thats 1% responce, however im not counting my chickens yet untuill its had a decent run of 1K as a minimum.  Anyway off to bed now up at 5:30 for the NEC.

Dene

prodry

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2007, 10:46:39 pm »
Well done Red.

Get that TM out there pumping out the greenhouse gases. Lets all do our bit for global warming.

the red carpet

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2007, 10:51:04 pm »
I would if it didnt break down yesterday >:( i dont have nothing easy me mate :'(

prodry

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 10:57:43 pm »
Red, your one of the lucky ones, You've got a new woodbridge TM. I've got one of their old hercules ones. It breaks down at least once every day, I have  to fix on custys drive and end up going into the appointment with grease on my hands and face.

prodry

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:54 pm »
Red

another thing you could consider is doing block paving/patio cleaning, refinishing, protecting etc...  save a small corner of your leaflet for advertising this. Doesnt pay as well and you need your wellies for this type of work, but half or full  day a week could help you out, without lowering your cc prices. 

We do a full day a week of this type of work, especially this time of year.

the red carpet

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2007, 11:31:57 pm »
yeah thats something i wanna start doing do you use the tm to do this?
what else is needed?

Dont know about it not paying as well though, if i do it im gonna charge more than i charge for carpets thats for sure
people spend a hell of a lot more money on a new drive than a new carpet for the lounge dont they so surely they would expect to pay more for this service.

I would happily give somebody £100 to do my drive (if i had one) but i wouldnt give somebody that to do my lounge

prodry

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2007, 11:56:16 pm »
You will strugle with patios/drives to get a decent price. It takes me 1 hour cleaning, 30mins gassing and drinking tea, to clean an average through lounge (in and out in around 2 hours). £50/60/70 see you later! (more for you i am sure) 

However an average 300 sq foot drive/patio, i spray with cleaner and scrub with brush while i am talking to them, then presure clean with TM in and out in 1.5 hours. Struggle to get more then £40/50 for clean and maybe a few extras ie. protect, but this can only be done when dry so furhter visit later, total job £60/70. However when the weather is like it was today, cleaning bird s*&%t and moss off a patio or drive is heaven to me. 4 presure wash jobs tommorow, total £240.00 all drives, none of them will be in . I will be home by 2pm, dirty, smelling and very happy.

mark_roberts

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2007, 12:12:08 am »
Red

You did 13 quotes today.  How did you get them.  13 is excellant and £1400 is a nice weeks work.  Dont think Ive ever done 13 in one day.

Sometimes we all get a few quiet weeks it happens to us all.

Mark

the red carpet

« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2007, 07:36:50 am »
I dedicate one day a week to quotes so i wont be doing no more for the rest of the week

3 from door knocking
2 from referalls
1 from website
1 from yellow pages
6 from leaflets

craigp

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:57 am »
i got 3 jobs this week, so you got more than me :'(

one yesterday one Thurs and one Sat. least i'll get some leaflets out. lol.

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2007, 08:22:07 am »

Craig,

Even I got more than you  ;D

As has been said Red, it's not that you are not getting work (although the FT method needs tweaking!) you simply have committed yourself heavily and you have to accept that if you want to push things along so quickly stress and potential failure are part of the gamble.

If you succeed yo will be years ahead of others who started the same time as you and tens of thousands better off.   

conallon

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2007, 07:07:10 pm »
Geof

no upsetmeant meant

i sell what ive got and what i can achieve

do not feel the need or want to slag fellow carpet cleaners off in our area  ;)

we no who they are, they just make idiots of themselves and lose money  8)

have a good year

Conrad

p.s. you  can tel if a customer is bull poopting bye were thy live and what they say

bye i luv Grolsh  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2007, 07:17:07 pm »
Conrad, saw you parked outside B&Q today. me & Craig were grabbing a starbucks before going to pickup Mike Ts Bane machine

so the 'King Of Leather' will be cleaning carpets from next week. another competitor to worry about :D :D

Mike

conallon

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2007, 07:27:26 pm »
Now then

oh poop, how did you hide your van  ;D

talked to Craig the other day i wish him well !

Conrad

bennymon

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26:40 am »
where has the work gone ? last week worked 6 days out of 7     this week not one single job booked in . im off to deliver some leaflets  fingers crossed something will come in  :( :(

prodry

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2007, 12:19:40 pm »
same here bennymon, Few jobs booked in that we could not do last week as were so busy. Think its the weather reports of snow have put custys off booking. 

Neil Grainger

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2007, 01:54:35 pm »
del

Is the same in snowy old yateley, just come in as its snowing and getting all my leaflets wet.

Strange times we are having at the moment, Even had the bank on the phone saying that I have not paid anything in for a while, Never had a dry spell like this in my history, goes against all the usual workload for this time of year.

Better pick up soon or the sh.t will hit the fan big time.

10,000 leaflets to put out so will be out everyday this week.

bennymon

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2007, 05:22:59 pm »
hi neil  did you get the email of my leaflet  :)

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2007, 05:25:46 pm »
yes its very dead here to in or part of Essex :'(
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2007, 05:55:41 pm »
The new Thomson local started circulating today and i`m the only CC in there rewardin Nectar points, hopefully I`ll get the nectar card holders  :D  :D  ( apparantly 48 % of the population has one now  :D ).Not expectin miracles but lets see how it goes.

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »
rewardin Nectar points, hopefully I`ll get the nectar card holders  :D  :D  ( apparantly 48 % of the population has one now  :D ).Not expectin miracles but lets see how it goes.

how do you do that?

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2007, 04:14:30 pm »
If you take an ad out with thomson you get the option to join nectar. Its extra on your ad price. You have your ad, and at the bottom of your ad you have the nectar logo with a phone number. Customer phones the number, punches in their nectar card number then gets diverted to you. They earn 50 points each call ( equivalent to spending £25 at sainsburys ). Thomson started distribution yesterday in my area and I booked a church in through the strength of the nectar ad today ( job worth £375 ( half of what my ad cost !! ). In summer thomson are doing a TV ad campaign to rival YP promoting the Thomson ? Nectar partnership. Worth looking into

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2007, 04:17:44 pm »
You can`t put the nectar phone number on your van BUT you can put the nectar logo on and text saying look us up in thomson to earn £££££££££`s  ;D  ;D

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2007, 06:03:49 pm »
It sounds a very good idea. Don't advertise in Thompson but it may be something that could sway me to. do you have to pay for the points too or is it just the one off payment on top of the ad?

Cheers Goron

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:04 pm »
It was a one off payment.. I think it was about £70 quid after a bit of bartering. But like I said, got half of the wrexham ad back today on one call! Worth a gamble, especially when the TV ad kicks in this summer.  :)

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2007, 06:30:45 pm »
The new thomson has a woman in a cat suit pointing to the Nectar logo and a catchline...... THOMSON local, the only directory that gives you nectar points. So nectar card owners will probably think hmmmm. And whenever they need a service go there rather than YP. I know I will ( I have a nectar card ). 

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2007, 08:22:41 pm »
we are in thompson local.com.we are not nector points etc have been on for a month,nufin so far,yp colour add comes out now lets hope this year is better ::)
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

turneylogan

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2007, 04:12:47 pm »
We do our own leafletting when things are slow. In our experience your leaflet falling out of a newspaper or combined with other leaflets in a drop, end up in the bin. Targetting specific streets is the key (not too rich not too poor). You can do 200 letterboxes in a couple of hours, or 750 in an hour at a station car park (hassle getting permission though). Leaflets need to be bright and simple. We always get business from leafletting and some customers keep your leaflets for later. We have tried all types of advertising but our best is Yellow Pages combined with Yell and link to website. Customers like to use busy service providers; cold-calling smacks of desperation.

AquaMagic

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2007, 04:47:21 pm »
Im not desperate and i cold call, even when im fully booked up i try and call 5 prospects a day, ive got some of my best Property Management Customers this way.  Telemarketting should not be used as a last measure but more as a complement to your other ongoing marketing projects.  I would limit this to businesses though, or previous Domestic customers.
Dene

NigelD

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2007, 05:07:18 pm »
Prodry

When you pressure clean a driveway do you use a lance on the TM or some type of rotary/spinner type of cleaner?

Someone told me with a lance you can end up with lines, is that your experience?

Nigel

AJB

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2007, 09:10:05 pm »
in nine years have found Thompson Local to be Utter C*ap.
Ad only pays for itself, and people only use it for a couple of weeks when it
first comes out.
Went quiet this week but still managed 8 jobs.
10 booked for next week, but saturday usually busy phone day for me.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

prodry

« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »
Nigel D

I have a spinner and a lance and use the lance on 50% of jobs. Use min. 800/1000psi and spray, brush and dwell with a brick acid or cleaner I never get any lines. Small diy units with little lances and poor flow and pressure without using a cleaner/acid you will usually just make patterns/lines on the surface.

The spinner is great for areas with a nice slop like drives as you dont have to move the water about with the pressure. Also areas where you dont want any overspray onto painted walls or windows.  Hower lance with the right method is fine.

NigelD

« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2007, 11:03:16 pm »
Prodry,

Thanks for that, I believe lances are not overly expensive.
Do you recommend and brick/stone cleaner?

Certainly would be nicer on a sunny day to be outside rather than in :)

Nigel

prodry

« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2007, 11:13:55 pm »
Try woodbridge www.wcsuk.com www.sweepfast.com or www.dualpumps.co.uk for a quality lance or spinner.

for cleaner B&Q sell it cheap for small quantities, bought a load in November last year really cheap, end of line, not sure what they have this year. Or try local builders merchants. Be careful with the industrial brick acids.

ian loughlin

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2007, 03:24:50 am »
Hi mate i was in sale once a long time a go. and i was told that every NO was one step closer to a  YES.

If you can put up with the s..t you get Carrie on but personally i would not entertain ANYONE who came to my door. door to door selling just doesnt work any more, and i think i creates the wrong image.

Paying for advertising seems expensive at first, but it is necessary if you are to increase business.

NigelD

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2007, 05:18:20 pm »
Prodry

Thanks for that. I'll check the websites out.

Nigel

bennymon

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2007, 07:18:35 pm »
hi red is it picking up yet

Neil Grainger

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »
Del

Have you seen my advert in the Guildford Times, its in the specialist section.

Things seem to be moving forward now that we areinto spring.

Hope it the same for you.

cheers

Neil

the red carpet

« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2007, 08:07:39 pm »
seems to be, iv got £1340 booked in for this week didnt do a lot last week though only 3 jobs

Matt Lindus

« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2007, 09:30:47 pm »
Red,

The best advise you will ever get in your entire life. Go for the 10 week course @ £4900 + VAT.   http://www.viyplumbingtraining.co.uk/

Matt

darrenlee1

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2007, 12:09:10 am »
think you right matt had 3 qoutes today fit bathroom suite straight swap, all around £500 take a day and only one could do next week darren
p.s and i thought i could earn money

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2007, 06:24:16 am »
That seems to be the Union Rate. One of the Franchise companies you see advertised wanted to charge £750  Saw his van about for four weeks I wonder what happened.

Plummers must have a Forum aswell

Could be worth it.

Connecting the pipe closest to the wall is a nightmare even with flexi pipe

Matt Lindus

« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:47 pm »
Not only that, free tools and overalls for every student to keep for life.

Matt

bennymon

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2007, 09:16:58 pm »
another bad week 4 me 3 small jobs this week £270 ive been out delivering leaflets today :'( :'(

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2007, 09:26:19 pm »
I must admit the phone calls ebb and flow but I still get enough but am not pulled out with work although after 15 years I am 'dug in' so a quiet week for me may not be for other which I understand, I've just had a blood transfusion at the 'Hospital Halliday' so I feel raring to go and it shows as I have mentally got the phone to ring ever since.

Look into my eyes, not around the eyes.

Shaun

Neil Grainger

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2007, 09:34:23 pm »
Shaun

Is John flynn still around, I know he is not Carpet cleaning anymore.

gave me some good advice when I first started.

Cheers

Neil

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »
Spoke to him last week, he's still suffering badly with his back but is getting on well with his courier job, he's probably driven past most of our places in the last year as he gets all over the UK.

Shaun

woodman

« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:49 am »
10 weeks to be a qualified plumber  ;D

Try telling my Brother that, fully qualified plumbing and heating engineer and Corgi registered trainer. apprenticeship period 4 yrs.  ::)

He's had these speed trained guys working with him and has had to send 'em packing.

The best advice he can give them  after wedging out all that money is apply to  BG for a years on site training and with a bit a luck they might take you on after on 'pipe bending 'duties with the occasional rad valve replacement.

« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2007, 12:36:20 pm »

In the goldrush it was found that the people who made the most money were selling shovels.

Len Gribble

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2007, 12:44:15 pm »
If any one wants plans on how to install a central heating system let me know (very easy)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

bennymon

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2007, 04:34:32 pm »
really crap week  but then a call last night and i got a job for this morning worth £615   :) :)

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »
its been krap for ages in our area :'(
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Macarthur

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2007, 09:10:17 pm »
Hot and cold here in Southampton, never know what to expect.
Orion Cleaning Services - Southampton

bennymon

« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2007, 06:22:18 pm »
not much in for next week yet  but having a busy week this week  :) :)

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:44 pm »
Busy over the next two weeks, and last week was a very good result, must be the sunshine! Geoff