Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

the red carpet

Desperate Times
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:21:25 pm »
Call for desperate measures
Going door knocking today for the first time

Dont really know what to expect, but nothing ventured and all that.

Hopefully will do about 4 hours from 2-6

Will post results when i get in later

Wish me luck ;D

spindle

Re: Desperate Times
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:37:31 pm »
good luck red

never tried but must be worth a go!!!!!!!

did u try calling back old custys to remind them that it has been that long since the last clean??

life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:47:03 pm »
Red, when I did it i worked on the line that I was checking if my leaflet had been delivered,

so when they opened the door I'd say 'Hello do you remember receiving a leaflet like this during the last few days? then show them it, when they say no tell them you've tried a different company and are just checking,

then say 'the leaflet had a special 3 rooms for the price of 2 offer on it and people are going to miss out' ....bla..bla.bla..etc

this is how I did it, but it is sole destroying until someone says yes :D :D

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Macarthur

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:00:07 pm »
I tried when I first went full time self employed, takes a long time as you have to wait at the door and speak to potential custys, and I agree can be quite sole destroying. 
I personally didnt gain any new customers when I tried, despite some saying they were definately interested and would give me a call.
After my initial experience with this, I would sooner hand deliver leaflets with prices on showing a special half price offer.
Nigel.
Orion Cleaning Services - Southampton

Steve Dudley

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:26 pm »
Think it is probably worth a try - but very hard work. As said previously, worth going back over existing customers and either calling or writing to them (probably better and less irritating). Let them know all the services you offer...

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:37:27 pm »
Dan,

Do not get me wrong, are you still on Fast Track?

I wish you well with door knocking, need to get on Telephone myself bye

davep

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 05:31:57 pm »
how long have you been trading Red?  I seem to remember posts where you had bookings well in advance..  Is it up and down in Essex?

Robert Watson

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 06:03:59 pm »
Good luck Dan.
You will get work. If you can manage 4 hours your a better man than me.
That doesnt sound much, but when you get a few grumpy gits giving you a hard time, its hard not to take it personally and keep going. Once I got a job on the first knock, the rest was easy.
Second mikes post.
Remember to smile  ;D
The Kitchen Door Centre

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »
dave I can tell you it is very up and down in essex :P slow to say the least
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

The Great One

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:43:10 pm »
HI

is that sole destroying as in the soles of your feet

or Soul destroying, as in your immortal soul   ;)

Regards

Martin 8)

the red carpet

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
Oh well,

Didnt knock myself got somebody else to do it as i really didnt fancy it ;D

He was knocking doors on one side of the road while i leafleted the others

He knocked just over a hundred houses and got to speak with 58 people

One said yes to a quote but could we give her 5 minutes as she was just in the middle of something so i gave her 10 minutes and went back to find her just pulling of in her car. She said she was really sorry but had forgot she had a apointment but asked for a card and said she would definatly call tomorrow to arrange a quote.

Another five were really interested but said they would also call to book a quote as they were in the middle of things again.

Two were rude and stroppy.

And all the rest just said no thank you.

So not as good as i hoped but got a bit of interest and got about 400 leaflets out so should at least get a quote out of it eventually.

Gonna try again tomorrow ::)

Robert Watson

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:51 pm »
Tenner says you will land three.
Out of 58 people that would be a result.
Keep it up and let us know how you get on, youve got me thinking.
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:11 pm »
we did 5ooo and got nil :P in one area just to build your spirits up ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:23:07 pm »
I dont belive you, surely thats imposible?

5000 leaflets or 5000 door knocks??

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:15 pm »
Not sure anybody Buys from the door these days, looks like gypseys, desperate and people like to think they are buying not being sold to.

A local carpet cleaning company door knocked in our area but we found most people  then searched the net, phone book for the most local company to get an alternative quote, so we picked up extra work as we have better equipment, and they said we gave them more advice and knew what we was talking about

Leaflets do take time to work.

I did an hours leaflets the other morning and got talking to a homeowner she asked a few questions and booked a full house in.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 11:46:02 pm »
You have to be really positive on the doors do not take first No second No remain positive break customer down.

Very hard only 3% of population can do it.

Thats why Robert Saunders Joe Polish Howard Partridge and Ian Harpper teach direct response marketing.

woodman

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 08:29:04 am »
Hi Red,
(fancy a cinema clean  ;D)

You have to aware that in more and more areas they have begun 'No Cold Calling Zones' Bedfordshire is one such county that does this, and as such households are actively encouraged not to buy from at the door, the implication being that door knockers will be scamming or as Paul says Gypsies.

I would look for an alternative, leaflet drops being the most obvious.

I have had a company contact me that is based in St Albans that is offering a good deal on leaflet drops at £20 per thousand, your leaflet would go with only two others and of course would be the only CC one.

I have not used them and can not vouch for them but if you want their details drop me a line. ;)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 08:39:27 am »
Hi Guys,

When I first set up a CC business in Enfield, 1982 my partner and I went cold calling after work most evenings and on Sat morning before playing football.

We were reasonably successful and would reward ourselves with a couple of beers afterwards and on Saturdays a couple of gallons :o

Cold calling with two is more fun because of the competition aspect .

However when I set up business in Essex in 1989 I couldn't face cold calling houses but having been in sales for a while I was much more comfortable cold calling businesses.They are used to receiving visits and are less likely to be stroppy.

This worked well and I still have a couple of customers from that time.May be worth a try.

Good luck.

Doug

the red carpet

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:29 am »
Oh well gonna give it another shot today.

Iv only got a stairs and landing booked in for today, so gonna spend a bit of time knocking again.

Im gona do at least 42 more that way i have done 100 and i will see were that takes me.

Iv just had one ring to book a quote for a suite from yesterdays knocks, so thats a start.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 02:31:16 pm »
Red

I take it things have gone quiet then, It is slow around North Hampshire and have just done a 1000 letter mail shot to my current customers.

Hope it works for you.

CHeers

Neil