Prowler-portable truckmount
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:53:17 am »
I am not sure at this moment what kind of carpet cleaning machine I am after and how much money (to be honest I do not have many ;D) I would like to invest in to this business, but would like to ask you opinion on this machine:

I assume that to carry this machine you would not need a large van, so there is a saving here, what do you think?

Kind regards,
Arthur

Chris R

Re: Prowler-protable truckmount
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 10:57:30 am »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8090.0

Also do a search on the "other" forums  ;D

Lots of info,

Cheers
Chris
Staffordshire

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
Arthur,

If i was going to spend £6000 on this thing, i would rather buy a normal van mounted machine which you can get for around this price, or a good second hand truck mount. With a van mount, you get a water tank built in for self sufficient cleaning and a big waste tank.

It could be argued that this portable machine pumps directly out into the street drain and could be connected to a water supply. Firstly i thought it was illegal to dump waste water into a normal drain. I believe that all water must be disposed of in a toilet drain only or a soakway. Secondly what if theres no water supply.

The engine is a 14hp which in my opinion is not powerful enough. Health and safety would be interested in a machine left on the pavemant where people could be injured. You would still need a big van for all the hoses you would need.

As Len said in an earlier post; it will leave all truck mount users shaking in their boots.

No mate i don't think so my portable using friend  ;) perhaps though as the price is half what a normal truck mount is, you might now be able to afford one ;D ;D

Dave

BRSL

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 11:35:18 am »
I can see why this might be apeeling to some as the price is quite low but I dont believe it is going to be any better than a top line porty.

But it's like Dave has suggested that for the extra cash and getting a van mounted machine you are also getting fuel tank, water and waste tank, hoses and reel professionaly fitted the list goes on

in its favour though it has got a 2000psi pump which is quite impressive for a machine of that size but will the 13hp engine cope, Hydramasters 3.2 spitfire runs at 3300 rpm I think but thats not flat out as to protect the engine, I think this little machine will be running flat out to run

And again duping water straight onto the pavement is not a good thing

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:39:14 am »
Jay

If you change the pulley on the cat pump to a smaller one, it will turn faster, thus giving a higher psi. If you look at the cat pump manual that came with your new machine, then it tells you that is has a range, which is controlled b its pulley diameter.

Hope this is useful to you. High pressure jetting at heat??

Dave

BRSL

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:59:20 am »
mine has the abbility to run at 1000psi it might go higher with a new pulley but if it could why is it not set up too, as it is great selling point, I think again they down power alot of things to give better life expextency and efficency, which again gives me concern over the prowler, how long are the seals going to last

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 12:15:22 pm »
Jay

They power them down to avoid the lower model from clashing with the next higher model in the series, otherwise everybody would go for the base model, and they wouldn't have a range. These pumps have a range stipulated by the manufacturer and will do it.

Obviously the bigger machines come in at 46 hp, but hey are driving a bigger blower and more vacumn hoses plus dual operation. When i bought my entry level Blazer plus, the book says 250 feet of vac hose, but when i asked them in person, i was told it can support 300 with a slight drop in pressure. Look in the catalogue and you will find the next model which can run 300 feet of vac hose, only its £1000 more.

The Blazer is rated at 93 degrees centigrade, so i would think that with a bit of tweeking, i could increase this to the spec of the next one or even two models, and up the pressure by changing the pulley. I would not be surprised either if the blower could be uprated.

Dave

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 12:20:36 pm »
AJ, you need to talk to someone who is familiar with this machine, instead of reading uninformed opinions as have been posted so far.

no insult intended but Dave & James obviously know nothing about this machine than what it says on the picture.

you need to talk to some one who has actually cleaned carpets with it.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 01:16:51 pm »
I would like to thank you for all your replies

AJ, you need to talk to someone who is familiar with this machine...
...you need to talk to some one who has actually cleaned carpets with it.
Mike

Mike,

That is why I have posted this topic.  But no one, who has actually cleaned carpets with it, responded yet.  I am not sure if any member of this forum has experience using this machine. 

Kind regards,
Arthur

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 01:38:42 pm »
Lee gundry and I think Steve gunn have used this machine might be worth searching thier names.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 01:55:47 pm »
Lee gundry and I think Steve gunn have used this machine might be worth searching thier names.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 01:59:37 pm »
Arthur,

Mike is right, you need to speak to somebody who has used one. However myself and James's opinion might be uninformed, but we have looked at the product and am simply saying the downside of the product as we see it

I am sure you would not like to purchase this machine, only to find you are stuck with something that does not perform as you expected it to, and you have wasted money in doing so.

With a conventional truckmount, at least you know its proven technology. This equipment puts me in mind of one of the street petrol driven vacumn machines that the local councils sometimes use.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:10:33 pm »
Dave,
Every opinion is very much appreciated,

James, thank you to you too,

Kind regards,
Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 02:27:31 pm »
First of all don't comment on something you have never seen or understand. The Prowler is an innovative machine and works in a different way than a standard truckmount. It is designed to be left in the vehicle, however the beauty of it is that it is easily removed for maintenance etc. Unlike some, we have one company interested who are running other machines at the minute who are being charged £1000 to remove and re-fit their truckmount from a vehicle.
Have a look at it, understand how its designed to work then give your opinion, good or bad.

BRSL

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 02:40:12 pm »
John hello isnt that what we done  ::) ::) ::)

Like Mike said were comenting on what the add says thats all

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 02:43:06 pm »
John Kelly

People always form opinions the first time, and it is human nature. we see a product on the television such as a car and we either like it or we do not. We have been presented with a set of specifications and have made a simple decision about whether or not we would want to use one.

Regarding the fitting and re-fitting of a conventional truckmount to a vehicle, i would say that i would not pay this, instead doing it myself would be the option i would choose.

The only point that i am saying is the fact that conventional trck mounts are tried and tested technology that has come across the channel.

You seem to have taken offence with some peoples comments, and i was wondering whether or not you are marketing this product. If you are, then good luck with the machine.

Dave

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 03:33:23 pm »
Dave

I thought you would be aware that we are the distributors of the Prowler.  Whenever I offer advice it is based on first hand knowledge (either from a demonstration or actually using a piece of equipment) or from research into the subject.

A few brief pointers on how this machine actually works.
The Prowler does not have a waste tank which needs to be pre-vacuumed as it sucks the waste water directly through the modified blower (still fully warranted by manufacturer). Due to the high temperature the blower is running at most of that waste water is turned to vapour. The small amount of liquid which does exit via the waste hose can be directed to a suitable drain onto ground or into a container/waste tank.

It can feed from a van mounted tank or directly from a hosepipe as other truckmounts. The machine produces 27 inches of Mercury lift and 220 cubic feet per minute of airflow.
Stainless steel heat exchanger produces 90 degrees heat. It also has 2 stainless steel silencers.

And replacement parts are also a fraction of the cost of a coventional truckmount.

We have just recieved delivery of 2 new machines including an even more powerfull 15hp with clutch and exhaust diverter. (pic)

I welcome all comments...even the ones that get me slightly miffed.  :)  Anyone who wants a demo let me know...provided of course I can get it back off Newcastle City Council  ;D

Len Gribble

Re: Prowler-portable truckmount
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 04:44:18 pm »
Dave

Don’t think I said that? May have said watch out TM’er, but please correct me if I’m wrong?

Tried and tested from across the channel? What has Europe given in this field? :(

John

Prefer the new colour (red reminds me of ken Livingstone >:()

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 04:46:33 pm »
This machine is certainly an innovative design,and I would not rule it out from my options to upgrade in the future.
Most of the derogatory comments have no founding whatsoever,where in the advert does it state you have to pump dirty water onto a pavement?,no cc would even consider doing this,and it in no way resembles a road sweeper.
Yes,the machine is different,but not that different.
I have read the advertisement and have no doubt that this unit would perform any differently to a full size unit,and maintenance would be a lot easier as you could access it easily.
Well worth considering I think.
John

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 04:51:03 pm »
...Prefer the new colour...

So do I,

Red reminds me about the football team across the river Tyne ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 05:06:25 pm »
I will give some feedback as I'm due to use one for a week or two shortly.But it has to be the red one for me cannot have a black one reminds me about the football team across the river Tyne ;)

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 05:10:28 pm »
Steve, I knew that you will join this debate after my last post  ;)

stevegunn

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 05:20:20 pm »
I have seen this machine in action very impressed with it.As for the dirty water on pavement issue that does not happen most of the waste water turns to steam.It looks very easy to work on even for a novice with limited knowledge parts are not expensive if anything does go wrong.I believe John will be at carpex so contact him and you can arrange to see it in operation down there.

BRSL

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 06:06:38 pm »
John will look forward to talking to you at Carpex  ;)

as for the water on the pavement well you could say the same about mine, we both have to use a pipe and stick it down the nearest swererage drain as for most the water turning to steam im again still to be convinced as the waste tank has stuck on my TM and blown the water out of the exhaust and it aint steam, but this also leads to the problem of flood work as it could never suck the volume of water required in a flood situation and this little machine would of been ideal for it.

And as for commenting without seeing it, I couldent give a T*** I say it as I see it, isnt this a forum and arent we supposed to resolve issues well I put the problem up in the air it's your jobs to discuss the matter and put me right

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

John Kelly

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 07:02:32 pm »
James

The small amount of water being fed back whilst your're actually cleaning does mostly turn to vapour when it hits the hot blower lobes. The situation you describe is a full suck through from the waste tank which would result in a volume of water exhausting.

Steve

Sorry mate the one your're getting is Black. Don't worry there isn't any White stripes on it.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 07:30:04 pm »
...Sorry mate the one your're getting is Black. Don't worry there isn't any White stripes on it.

;D ;D ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 07:57:14 pm »
James

The small amount of water being fed back whilst your're actually cleaning does mostly turn to vapour when it hits the hot blower lobes. The situation you describe is a full suck through from the waste tank which would result in a volume of water exhausting.

Steve

Sorry mate the one your're getting is Black. Don't worry there isn't any White stripes on it.

It'll be red & white when you get it back ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 08:05:31 pm »
I realise when we are dealing with Equipment we are in danger of ruffling feathers, but if we do not ask questions we are in the dark.

My question is would The Prowler satisfy the Truck Mounters Carpet Cleaning Assosiation membership rules/

When you have it in the van do the wheels lock.

How do you get it in van in first place.

I presume Hoses  wands etc are extra.

John Kelly

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 09:02:10 pm »
Ian

The unit sits in a metal frame whilst in the van. It can be ramped in and out by two people. We use £50 steel ramps from Northern Tools.

The Prowler is a truckmount only difference being its manouverability and the modified blower.
The Prolwer is featured on the TMCCA forum site with its own section.
Comes complete with hoses and quality bypass wand.

stuart_clark

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 09:19:38 pm »
John! how much cfm does the prowler produce? is it any more powerful than the scorpian portible machine?

John Kelly

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 09:48:53 pm »
220 Stuart, not sure what the scorpion produces off the top of my head.

stuart_clark

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 08:20:22 am »
What does the new 15hp prowler cost then John?

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 12:06:08 pm »
Len

You did say correct me if i am wrong.

Topic:     Prowler portable machine
Date:     May 19th 2005
Time:     9.33 pm

Quote.    Looks an awesome machine, should have the tm,ers quaking in their boots.

As i said not really. Obviously the suppliers are quite right, that we should see one in action before giving an opinion. The opinion that i gave was a first impression opinion and some of the criticisms that i raised have been answered satisfactary.

I think looking at this forum, there seems to be a lot of people who are prepared to buy from the states, and this seems to be an upward  with big savings to be had.

Dave

Len Gribble

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 03:17:26 am »
Dave

Thanks for putting me right totally of the cuff remark but not always! You must have done a lot of soul searching to find this or agenda your date (Technically a newbie) my posted date the mind boggles, but you are total correct impressions, I brought the top of the range I-pod for the wife at Christmas she could not get on with it, last week brought a hp mp3 player over the moon with it!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

stevegunn

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 06:04:25 pm »
Finally got round to using the prowler today.Excellent machine does everything it says in the advert .I was surprised at the way the blower gets rid of the waste water no need for a waste tank so where space is an issue this is ideal.If anyone thinking of upgrading from portable to t/m should seriously consider one of these.At the very least get a demo I believe John will be at carpex if anyone interested.The pics are the 15hp version I used the 12hp one.

stuart_clark

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 06:29:20 pm »
What type of van is it mounted in steve? and do you have fresh water tanks or are you using a fresh water supply hose? Regards Stu Clark

stevegunn

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »
The one pictured is not my van that one is mounted in a VW Transporter the one I'm using is in the back of my transit.It runs off a tank and they cost £120 for a 500 litre baffled tank

Chris R

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »
What size van is it in the picture Steve?
Thats the only problem with it being on wheels, because you cant have a sub mount water tank it actually takes up more space in the van than a standard T/M?
Although, dont get me wrong, I will still have a look at one. Having no waste tank saves some room.

Look at the space that Lens Blazer takes up,
Staffordshire

stevegunn

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 07:47:36 pm »
VW Transporter-Great thing about wheels is you could put it on top of water tank as well

stevegunn

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 08:35:41 pm »
Been using prowler for a couple of days now.Its a very good machine.Hardly any waste water the blower does actually turn the waste water to steam.Drying times are good ,spares for the machine are reasonably priced too.Anyone going to carpex seriously needs to have a look at this machine if your in the market for a new one or upgrading from a portable.Sorry Paul your not getting it back :P

carpetclean

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2006, 08:29:12 am »
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2006, 08:33:45 am »
http://www.carpet-cleaning-equipment.net/prowler_truckmount.shtml

just found this link

It was not difficult, was it, the question is would you buy from the USA?
Kind regards,
Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2006, 09:54:11 am »
Afraid not available from the US as we have sole selling rights for Europe.

carpetclean

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2006, 09:57:15 am »
john keely how would i get a demo of this said machine!!?
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2006, 09:58:10 am »
Afraid not available from the US as we have sole selling rights for Europe.
Congratulations John,
Where are you going to demonstrate the machine at Carpex?
Kind regards,
Arthur

Art

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2006, 10:06:25 am »
John,

What's the smallest van that the prowler will go into?

Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2006, 12:36:33 pm »
We will be in the Novotel carpark at Carpex. Doubt if we'll be able to do a full demo, however peolple can have a look and try and understand it. Will hopefully have both 13hp and 15hp there. The 15hp is not ready for sale yet as it has been built to our spec and is still undergoing trials. We have tested the 13hp for nearly 2 years and are now confident to sell them.

Authur

Like all van mounted systems it is not the physical dimensions of the machine that are the limiting factor. What you have to allow for is the additional capacity, both weight and size, required to carry fresh water and enough hose to carry out your work. Water weighs 1 kilo per litre and I believe you need a minimum of 200 litres onboard, preferably 350-400.
Coupled to this your hoses/reel. You do obtain some space saving with the Prowler as you don't need a waste tank.
I would rule out small vans such as Escorts, Couriers etc. However you can get away with using a midi size like the Expert, provided it has the carrying capacity. ps you can always work off a hose pipe.
Personally I believe vans are like sheds, never big enough and you always wish you'd bought a bigger one.

cleaning co

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2006, 12:54:18 pm »
look really good bit kit nice size, but its just the price , such lot money , really whats the diffrnce between on of these and a engine driven pressure washer with a burner ?  all i can think of is a blower, they both hav engines they both hav high pressure pumps they both heat the water  yet u can get the washer for coulpe grand !!   just a thought,  and i think all truckmounts and portys are way over the top on price, i paid the same for a brand new van  for what one of these prowlers are !!! ???

stevegunn

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2006, 01:01:57 pm »
Cleaning Co two ways of looking at this pay for a t/m or porty and it can make you 50k a year /buy a van and it loses you money

John Kelly

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 01:05:01 pm »
Unfortunately the market place dictates the cost. The pressure washer market is huge. I use a moisture meter which cost me £600. I bet it cost £10 to make in China.
Using the same anology You could say a portable is a plastic box with 2 100 quid vac motors, 1 100 quid pump and 10 metres of wire.

cleaning co

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2006, 01:42:05 pm »
yes i c what u saying john  it was like i said just a thought, steve beg to differ mate but how would we earn this money without a van  ???  think i might be a bit knackerd by the time ive wheeled my porty 5 miles and then gone back to get hoses and wand  ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 02:27:55 pm »
You know what I mean your van depreciates in value :P

PaulKing

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2006, 07:16:10 pm »
I know for a fact that the prowler test machine has done £250k of work in the last 2 years,  the van it is in cost 18k.

Honestly cannot see us doing those sort of figures with a 6K van and a 2K porty.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2006, 07:37:52 pm »
I know for a fact that the prowler test machine has done £250k of work in the last 2 years, the van it is in cost 18k...

Paul where did you get those numbers?
Kind regards,
Arthur

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2006, 08:21:37 pm »
If somebody using Prowler managed to make £250,000 in two years time it is only because of successful marketing of their carpet cleaning business.  At the end of the day Prowler does not convert dirt in to pounds, get real!

However Prowler does have some nice features. 

For me a carpet cleaner to be Prowler looks as a nice machine, but I am not sure that I could/should invest so much money at the moment in to a new carpet cleaning business.

Kind regards,
Arthur

PaulKing

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2006, 08:58:35 am »
Arthur, we're a limited company so you can find the figures on Companies House website.

my point about doing £250k work in two years was, firstly, that the prowler and all other truckmounts clean so much better than a portable that we get a lot of repeat customers and don't need to spend time chasing new ones and secondly that it cleans so much faster than a portable that we can do more work. also because we use a truckmount system customers are happy to pay a bit extra.

"At the end of the day Prowler does not convert dirt in to pounds, get real!" Yes,but someone also once said "Where there's muck there's brass"!

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2006, 09:11:35 am »
Paul,

If I understand correctly you said that only Prowler (without other carpet cleaning machines you may have) made you 250,000. 

If your machine was working 5 days a week 52 weeks a year for two years to make 250,000 your would have been making £480.77 per every working day.  Is it possible?

Kind regards,
Arthur

PaulKing

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2006, 10:05:16 am »
In a word YES and I am sure there are others here that will confirm that, and most probably they are using trukmounts too. Only used my portable twice the whole time.

If there one thing I have learnt is "Don't buy trouble"

For instance If customer books you then on arrival says "it's a unqiue £5k carpet from the Emperor Mings own weaver and last time it was cleaned by "bodge it and scarper" for £35 it took 3 days to dry and went all wavey and now the colours don't look the same, and although you charge £95 they want you to do it.
RUN RUN and keep RUNNING You definately loose a £95 Job but probably save £ much hassle.

As for working 5 days Some weeks 6 or 7 and some long hours too. Remember 409.16+vat = £480.77.

Right off to have my prowler gold plated at Ratners!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:34 pm »
Paul I'm finding these figure interesting as well.

one prowler has been earning £400 every day for 2 years or does some of your company income come from other sources.

Mike

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2006, 05:12:24 pm »
Paul, I would not like this to develop into personal confrontation. 

To my understanding a turnover of £50,000 per year seems to be a good achievement for most carpet cleaners.

I would not like to count money in your pocket, but the fact that you managed to turnover £250,000 over two years using only one carpet cleaning machine seem to me just too good to be true.  However if you say that you have done it I would not argue. 

Let me just say that if you managed to turnover £100,000+ per year I would think that it has only happened because of your good business skills.

Prowler is a very interesting machine.  It is a real portable trackmount and may be capable to save you some time (you have very little waist to get rid of etc.), but I doubt that it has got the abilities to considerably increase your productivity if you compare it with another carpet cleaning machine with similar characteristics.

Kind regards,
Arthur

Mark Roberts

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2006, 06:24:52 pm »

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2006, 06:35:04 pm »
I do not know who is who. 

All I can say is that I have started this topic with only one intention - to learn about this machine.

Kind regards,
Arthur

stevegunn

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2006, 06:36:28 pm »
Restormate (John Kelly) is the supplier

PaulKing

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2006, 07:52:12 pm »
Just to confirm Restormate (John Kelly) is the supplier

I test the machines because I am busy and quite frankly give them a lot of hammer,  and my point was you can run a successfull cleaning company with this machine. The TM i had before cost 14k and was no better.

I like it  because it's reliable, cheap, has enough power to clean domestic and commerical jobs and the once that it did have a problem a seal had over-heated due to my error (I had disconnected a safety - the UK design has been changed so you can't do this anymore). I still managed to get the days jobs done using it at reduced pressure and I changed all four seals the next day in 20 mins at a cost of £20.

Just to say I could not do the amount of work I do with a portable and a cheap van as it would take too long (been there, done that). I buy a posh van as I don't want it to be off the road/leak oil/explode/look like poo/; VW service my van over a weekend and lend me a van just in case.

125k - 1 van, 2 operators, 1 office person plus overheads plus god knows what else - if i didn't do the extortion, pimping and gun running there'd be no jam on the bread.  ;D

There is an expression "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" on this occasion i admit to being vain. I don't think we're doing anything special and I'm sure that there are people on this forum who are turning over more than we are.

okay, that's my financial position discussed, now can we get back to talking about the Prowler, which as Arthur has said was his main reason for starting the thread. and the reason i answered was that I probably have most experience of using this machine in the country. (to the extent that I can strip, clean and reassemble one blindfold in the dark whilst under heavy fire from Johnny Foreigner :D)

therapist

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2006, 10:59:22 pm »
Arthur

50k per annum is not a good achievement for most c/c's.  Such a figure is fairly easy to achieve and is around the t/o we achieved when working with small ads in local papers and low cost cleaning.

rob

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2006, 11:13:01 pm »
Thank you for your post Rob,

The reason I have mentioned £50,000 is because All Tec mentioned it as something what CC should try to achieve.

Kind regards,
Arthur

therapist

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2006, 07:07:54 am »
On the Alltec courses, 50k has been used as a notional target, for under achievers and has never been updated over the past decade.

What Robert Saunders is saying to newstarts, or low income people, is, ' let me show you how anyone can earn 50 k in c/c '

While doing so, he introduces the higher earners, who earn the 200k plus, per annum and illustrates the way they do so and this is where you are correct, its mainly through good and relentless marketing.

There's a bit of physicality in there too, of course, but it's more, down to marketing and delivering quality, asking for referrals, adding on extras, etc.

I can tell you, that working PART TIME, from 9-30 till 2-30 I turned over a regular 40k plus for several years and that was at low prices.

It involved advertising in two newspapers, and averaging 5 jobs per day 5 days per week.

Hard work and not necessarily the ideal way to do it, but, it worked !

Aw ra best

rob

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2006, 06:54:11 pm »
Rob,
Thank you for your interesting reply,

A little bit of maths:

Working about 6 hours per day you had a turnover of £40,000+ per year, which could be worked out as for each working hour you were getting about £6,700 per year.  If you worked 8 hours per day the turnover would probably be £53,000+ per year.  So it still not far from £50,000.

I would also like to refer to this post, where Chris R mentions £60,000 as the top turnover for the carpet cleaner.  So it still not far from £50,000.

Paul King has just explained in his above post that his turnover of 125,000 has been earned by 2 operators and 1 office person.  If these figures were worked out as per one contributing person we would get a number close to £50,000.

I am not trying to confront you, just trying to show where I am coming from. 

May I ask you how much do you think it is possible for a one man band (who uses a portable machine) to turnover per year working 7 hours per day 5 days per week 48 weeks per year.

Kind regards,
Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2006, 07:27:13 pm »
Authur

Carpet cleaning is an industry where to obtain the top money you need to nurture a good customer base. This takes time and doesn't happen overnight. Initially you have to spend a fair deal of money on advertising. Once you have a customer you then have to make sure they use you everytime they need cleaning done. This is done by keeping regular contact with newsletters, special offers etc. If you don't do this they just forget who you are and use someone else. After a few years working at this you can then reduce your advertising cost.
Paul King has been cleaning carpets for 20 years. He has a clientel I could only dream of. However I do get a taster when he lets me hold the reigns whilst he's on holiday.
When you going to come and see me?

PaulKing

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2006, 07:36:04 pm »
"How Would You Like To Make Your Business Grow So YOU Can Make Over £2,000 Per WEEK …On Your Own?" Robert Saunders

Check out the ALLTEC site it's gone up!  We can be who evey we want to be, it's within our grasp!

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2006, 08:58:54 pm »
John, I will see you at or after CARPEX

stuart_clark

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2006, 10:25:40 pm »
Just thought I would ask the question but when cleaning with the super dooper prowler machine where does all the fluff and carpet fibres go ?

PaulKing

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2006, 10:29:19 pm »
It's Filtered, must be cleaned daily it only takes a minute or two.

I donate the fluff to the birds to insulate their nests. And keep the good stuff for a local wig maker.

Would you like to see a picture of what happens when you suck up a golfball! When it's going at full moo?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 10:42:26 pm »
How big is the prowler and how much does it weigh?

What are the running costs per hour?

How much is the 15hp model?

Can it be used for small pressure washing jobs, and do a good job?

what is the flow rate of the water pump?

do you have to buy the accessories with the machine?

Shaun

therapist

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2006, 11:53:28 pm »
Arthur

For some time I've been wondering, exactly where you are coming from, as you appear to be accumulating as much knowledge as possible through raising posts, but suggesting you're only curious, as you have no money and don't even know if you want to be a carpet cleaner, as you might become a web designer, or whatever.

You come accross to me, as pedantic in the extreme and I'm not convinced that your quest is for knowledge.........you clearly have an ability to elicit knowledge........and otherwise aquire knowledge from simple sourcing methods including the use of the Web.............

You may be totally genuine, but from your posts, I'm not entirely sure. !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to talk maths then I'll simplify matters for you........

As stated above........working from adverts in two newspapers........one weekly Free / delivered......the other daily / three insertions plus a Free weekly title from same publisher.

For about three years, we worked from around 9.00am till 2.30 pm over five days and 50 weeks, taking  ( on average ) about one hundred and seventy pounds per day, for around five jobs per day.

This is very much at the low end of the charges scale taking only ( on average ) about
thirty four pounds per job..........many on here would think this was not worth leaving home for.........but, it served a purpose at the time...........namely to get a cash flow into our depleted bank account.

Although many will say you can't raise prices after selling cheap, we found it to be relatively simple, but not done overnight.

At 61, I would'nt contemplate a seven hour shift, particularly as I suffer from recurring Sciatica and Spinal compression, however.........IMO someone who is fit and capable, should be able to earn  ''two fifty  to  three hundred pounds per day'', provided they are working in the middle to top end and good at marketing .

Some claim to be earning this, from just one job.

Personally, I have a Ninja with heat, plus the external heater, which I use close to the tool excellent results are possible with this set up and will be achievable with many other portables with similar spec.

If I were buying today, I would something like the Prowler with auto feed and auto dump and I would avoid flatted properties without lifts..........if this was beyond my budget I would look at the Eclipse.........Ninja ( top spec ) ........Prochem, Alltec, Extracta .......there is another option, which is very popular in the US and Canada, ie

O/P machines, for which I would import A product called Argosheen

Anyway, its nearly mid night and I have an early start with two jobs which will be completed by midday and earn me one hundred and fifty eight pounds

goodnight

robert m  

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2006, 12:12:02 am »
Thank you Robert for you post,

I am not English, as you should know from my web, so it is not easy for me to know everything.  I have to learn and I do a lot, not just about cleaning...

Kind regards,
Arthur

therapist

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2006, 08:29:08 am »
Arthur

I am well aware, that you are not English, neither am I and I have seen your web sight in fact I commented on your charges and other matters on previous postings.

What I do know, is, that anyone who spends too much time ...............talking and thinking will never succeed in a business of this nature, or possibly in any business.........if, you are really interested in this business, from a potential operators point of view, you would have done some, PRACTICAL research rather than THEORETICAL.

This is a hands on business and the easiest way to learn, is to purchase a secondhand machine and go to it.

Obviously, some training would be useful, but anyone who can apply common sense, has a desire to succeed and can work to a reasonable standard, will find it easy to start up in c/c.

As I said above, there are talkers and there are doers it's pretty easy to figure out which is which.

Now, I have work to do, which, as I said last night will give me over 158 pounds and tomorrow I will earn over 200.

This is still well below the charges of some, but my overhead is minimal and I'm gradually doing less and less, simply because my back is a mess.

Must go start at 9am

rob m

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2006, 08:56:55 am »
Rob,
I have to visit Carpex first, I have already booked some training and I am gathering info here.  I have got a plan and I follow it  ;)
Regards,
Arthur

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Added later:
I have never been serious about building websites
 :)

John Kelly

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2006, 02:43:13 pm »
Shaun

I think it would be better to drop me an email regarding the Prowler. I can then fill you in on the queries you have raised.

Regards

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:35 pm »
can't get your email address to work so here is mine

shaun_ashmore@lineone.net

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59:09 am »
John,

Did you manage to demonstrate Prowler at Carpex?  You mentioned something about demo at hotel parking, where you were supposed to stay at that time...

Regards,
Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:45 am »
We did manage to get a few people to have a look at it. However a full demo was out of the question not least because we may have been lynched by some of the other exhibitors.
I am doing some demos over the next few months and I will be at the National Flood School on 20th-21st April.

stuart_clark

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:52 am »
This question might have already been asked but can the prowler be converted to LPG and at what cost?

Flood School

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2006, 10:26:21 am »
I'm certainly very interested in this machine, innovation is the key driver to progress. John Kelly's reputation and experiance is second to none and I am therefore very willing to listen. I'm looking to purchase a truck-mount performance machine for various demonstrations at the National Flood School in Farnham and John is bringing it down for us to trial in a couple of weeks. Anyone else is welcome to attend if they wish to view it, please contact John direct to discuss. I'm very happy to post an opinion on here after I've seen it in operation if anyone wishes.

Chris J Netherton

Steve Chapman

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2006, 05:54:15 pm »
Hi all,
does anyone know if the prowler will fit in the back of my toyota hilux surf?(picture at side)
space in  the back is about 8' x 5' and about 4.5' high(bit tight with the headroom!)
Just thought might be ideal way of going to a truckmount without getting rid of me beloved truck 8)
steve

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2006, 06:00:19 pm »
Steve, the prowler would probably fit in the back of your toyota, but you would also need to find some space for the water tank, so...

Regards,

Arthur

John Kelly

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2006, 06:33:51 pm »
We have been dealing with a major flood incident this week where an industrial estate was devastated by a burst 2 foot diameter water main.
The Prowler has been working non stop on the clean-up and has been running for 9 hours solid every day. During the day it has been using 12 litres of fuel.
This is non-stop use unlike when cleaning carpets and travelling to jobs.
Personally I don't think it is worth the cost and hassle of converting to LPG as the savings are not going to be that great.

John Kelly

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2006, 06:39:52 pm »
Steve
If your truck has an open cab then I don't think it would be a good idea to install a Prowler. As with any truckmount there is a degree of water leakage when swapping hoses etc. In a van this is not a problem but in your truck this could find its way into the carpeting. Also the exhaust, although pointing away from the vehicle, would eventually start to permeate the cab interior.
If the cab is seperate, then it may be a possibilty. I don't think the weight limit of your vehicle would permit the carrying of a water tank but the Prowler is designed to work off a hose pipe.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2006, 06:42:54 pm »
thanks john, the truck is a closed in type but i can see what you mean about leakage and exhuast fumes ect, still would like to have one though ;D
Looks like a new van then ::)
regards
steve

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2006, 01:16:23 pm »
thanks john, the truck is a closed in type but i can see what you mean about leakage and exhuast fumes ect, still would like to have one though ;D
Looks like a new van then ::)
regards
steve

Steve, have thought of accommodating your equipment in a trailer the one that would be similar to mobile catering trailer.
John, what do you think about this  ::)?
Regards,
Arthur

Steve Chapman

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2006, 04:48:56 pm »
Arthur i have thought about this many a times but to be honest i live on a main road and parking is bad at the best of times, it would be a nightmare trying to park the trailer aswell :o
Thanks for the suggestion though
cheers
steve

therapist

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2006, 06:18:12 pm »
Steve

There is a growing incidence of trailer theft throughout the country a neighbour who bought a new one on Monday last, had it stolen yesterday.

There were two wheel clamps heavy locks fitted, but it was released with an angle grinder.

rob m

stains-away

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2006, 02:11:53 am »
Any news on the price of the 15hp prowler?

John Kelly

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2006, 08:03:01 am »
We are still testing it. We won't sell anything until we are convinced it will perform. We specified this machine and we are seeing if it works well. We tested the 12hp for 2 years before deciding to sell it. I will keep you informed.

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2006, 11:14:09 pm »
...We tested the 12hp for 2 years before deciding to sell it...
John, 2 years is a long time, have you had any problems?  Do you not feel confident about 15hp machine?  Has it not been tested by the producer? 
Kind regards,
Arthur

PaulKing

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2006, 09:07:26 am »
It was i testing the 12 machine, and along with CE marking the first time took two years, we were never going to let it out there half cocked.

Would like to say the 15 hp is doing just fine but as always there are teathing troubles and changes neaded to be made to comply with CE lesigislation. The 15 hp has lots more power but have been running it at half power as it lifts the carpet otherwise, so looking at glides filters ect, so it works "straight out of the box"

Come have play with it if you like as i live in newcastle as well.

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2006, 09:37:51 am »
...Come have play with it if you like as i live in newcastle as well...

Thank you Paul for the invitation  :). I have seen Prowler last week when I visited John's office, very nice machine indeed.  Unfortunately I did not see John at that time. I would never think that there is so mach to take care of when you import some things...
Regards,
Arthur

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2006, 04:15:16 pm »
I hear the dirty water is turned into steam, what happens to this steam and grit
that goes with it> If it does turn into steam can you get burnt from it or can the public

John Kelly

« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2006, 04:36:58 pm »
Vernon

The steam is low pressure and is mixed with a large volume of air. You can put your hand in it and your hand will become damp but thats about it. It is directed to either a drain, containment tank or to a suitable peice of ground. There is no grit as this is contained by a micro mesh filter.

John Kelly

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2006, 01:42:39 pm »

boshravie

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2006, 02:25:53 pm »

stevegunn

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2007, 07:54:54 am »
I'm now the owner of a new prowler only disappointment was they did not put the white stripes on it as specified, I wanted it red and white ;D

Fred Gullan

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2007, 09:17:16 pm »
I am very intersted in this machine, it would be good to know what you think of it. It has 17 inches HG but how do you find the airflow/drying results and heat at say 150 ft. I work in Edinburgh and do a lot of stair carpets and this sort of machine would be Ideal. John said he would give me a demo so I may shoot down to Newcastle sometime soon.

Cheers
Fred

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:34 pm »
It's nice and relaxing in John's office and with a nice cuppa tea! then the t'other Gordie comes in and he's on e-numbers and starts jumping around (he's mad!)

But it looks a great machine I have seen it and used it, but demo it first and without obligation I may add.

Shaun

Robert Watson

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2007, 05:57:09 pm »
Aw Right Fred?  ;)
I work Edinburgh also. Don't be shy to get in touch, I'm not hard to find.
I always find its better to talk to competitors than not to.
There's times when jobs need to be passed on, when you have a breakdown and need to borrow gear etc.
I quite fancy the prowler maself.
Cheers Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

stevegunn

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2007, 06:22:20 pm »
Well I'm finding the prowler and excellent piece of kit,the heat is fantastic after only a couple of minutes.Nothing complicated about them keep forgetting to open by-pass valve so its dumping water when it reaches temp but I'll get the hang of it :-[

John was telling me of someone who ran his machine with no water going through the pump for one and a half hours as he was on a flood job total cost to repair machine £10 for a set of seals,how many t/ms would you get away with that without damaging the pump?

*paul_moss

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2007, 06:27:25 pm »
I got a seal and a dolphin for ony £5  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

gwrightson

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »
Sounds like you like the prowler Steve,

I did send you a e mail asking your opinion , obviously to busy to answer
oh well ,shall just have to go by the general opinions i suppose

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

mark_roberts

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2007, 09:00:18 pm »
Steve

You have to open the by pass by hand?  Is that what you mean?

Mark

John Kelly

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:28 pm »
Mark, the wand with the Prowler has a bypass valve fitted. Cranking this open when you stop working, such as to move furniture or answer a phone call, will prevent the pump heating up and opening the machine bypass as happens with most truckmounts. This wastes a lot of water as it dumps until it cools down. Discussed earlier here http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=30817.0

stevegunn

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:01 pm »
Sounds like you like the prowler Steve,

I did send you a e mail asking your opinion , obviously to busy to answer
oh well ,shall just have to go by the general opinions i suppose

Geoff

Geoff sent you email but it kept bouncing back

Jon Tweddle

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2007, 09:43:52 pm »
well its definately the prowler for me, just need to save up another £5300 odd quid! until then me little numatics going to have to put in a hard shift!!

stevegunn

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
Geoff resent it using m/s outlook

gwrightson

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2007, 10:01:34 pm »
not that busy then ;)
got it tks Steve

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

stevegunn

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2007, 05:40:03 am »
not that busy then ;)
got it tks Steve

geoff

Never too busy to help someone out ;D

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2007, 07:11:13 pm »
Ive had my Prowler since November and its wicked ;D lovely bit of kit!
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

stevegunn

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2007, 06:16:53 pm »
Here is a pic of how the prowler disposes of the waste water

AquaMagic

« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2007, 06:33:51 pm »
Looks great that Steve, id certainly consider a Prowler, are there any environmental issues, obviously the waste isnt going down a foul drain so the chemical would find its way back to the ground and the natural water table would they not?, or are they then in too minute a quantity to be of any affect?

Robert Watson

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2007, 06:39:23 pm »
Cool.
What happens to any solids that's left after the water has vaporized ?
I do fancy one.
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

PaulKing

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:53 pm »
They are trapped by the filter, scrap them off and throw them away, I can get a half carrier bag a day if really busy.

stevegunn

« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2007, 07:19:06 pm »
I use a hydro filter so that stops a lot before it reaches the filter Paul is talking about

John Kelly

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:29 pm »
Its legal to dispose to ground as long as its not within 50 metres of a water course. You can also put the waste pipe into a foul drain or a container for disposal off site if need be. As you can see a lot of the water is turned to steam.

PaulKing

« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2007, 08:08:38 pm »
guess what behind the back garage door on the new van ?

PaulKing

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2007, 08:18:34 pm »
the striped down racing version ;)

no in honesty we striped a prowler prototype down to go and do a tile and grout job, "down south" and fitted into the garage of the camper with three lenghts of hose and ramps take about a hour to strip down. will let you know how it goes.

p.s the 36 blower did'nt work out anybody want to make me a offer?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
is the offer for the blower or the prowler?

Shaun

stevegunn

« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2007, 05:30:21 am »
I believe its for the blower

PaulKing

Re: Prowler-portable truckmount New
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:11 am »
yep just the blower!
, I just try and break them, with not much success I might add.

( it was me that burnt out the valves in a pump)