Mike Halliday

Putting prices on websites
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
this old topic again!!

6 months ago I put a prices block on my website which listed all my 'high' prices...... LR £70 through lounges £90 bedrooms £60  suites £150

I did it because I was sick of price shoppers calling, I thought my prices would scare off all the people who wanted a living room cleaning for £20.

IT WAS A MISTAKE :-\ :-\

it did stop all the price-shoppers calling but also stopped everyone else!!  OK the few jobs I did get were good ones, but they were far & few between.

so now i'm trying a different page which is much simpler and gives a basic guide price, hopefully it will get people to call, then I can use my selling skills to increase the price ( although if they have a small room they will get the quoted price I'm not trying to 'bait & switch' them)

i don't mention suite prices as they are increasing so i want to get them to call so I can book a home visit.

http://www.henryhalliday.co.uk/Beverley-Hull-Carpet-Cleaners/price-guide.html

the page is still a work in progress and thing might change I'll just see how it goes,

this page also show also shows how  I'm going to change my website over the coming weeks  to a more 'friendly, family run feel' with lots of nice frindly pictures
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

kerrpmiddleton

Re: prices on websites
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:26 am »
 :D not bad certainly a very friendly looking team , its geting them to look at yoursite,

Allan Simmons

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:05 am »
Hi Mike

That's exactly what we found with higher prices on the website and/or the get a quote now calculator.  It appears to put off both the price shopper and the clients who will pay our price once they understand what we do for that price.  Of the guys i know using prices on their site the ones that appear to make it work are the lower priced guys, which there's nothing wrong with, and that's their advantage on the web.

Your website looks good and should encourage calls, which then gives you the chance to sell the home visit and sell the higher price as you say.

Paul Moss

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:30 pm »
Mike looks good, i think your right about removing prices, i never believe that it works unless its cheap pricing and your going for volume.

You still have that picture of the scary guy though at the endof the rug video  :D

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »
Hi Mike

We have prices on our website just for the shoppers

Works for us in our area

Richard & Tara

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
Your family is confusing  Mike is Henry and Michael is?

Blacky

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »

It's all smoke n mirrors as is the 3 generations of cleaners statement. All credit to mike/Henry or whatever your called. Business should be about making profit at all costs and he certainly try's.

Craigp

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:44 pm »
Hi Mike

We have prices on our website just for the shoppers

Works for us in our area

Richard & Tara

Don't you find you have to do high volume though? and what when it slows down, we cant be flat out all year.

AshWhite

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »
Mike looks good, i think your right about removing prices, i never believe that it works unless its cheap pricing and your going for volume.

You still have that picture of the scary guy though at the endof the rug video  :D

Get yer coat, Mike - you've pulled.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »
Hi Craigp

We do high and low volume jobs.

Must of the carpet cleaners in our area have prices on their sites thats why we added it on ours just for the shoppers.

Richard & Tara

Max Campbell

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »

Yeah, and Berverley only gets one mention

benny d

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »
Im so confused, which one is Beverley?
They both look like blokes to me...
 ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
IT WAS A MISTAKE :-\ :-\

it did stop all the price-shoppers calling but also stopped everyone else!!  

I could have told you that would happen. When looking at the web site stats and when I had a page named 'prices' that was the most visited page.
Personally put up with the phone calls rather than letting them compare on line prices.

derek west

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 06:24:58 pm »
Im so confused, which one is Beverley?
They both look like blokes to me...
 ;)
;D

beverley only comes out at night. ;) ;D

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »
Iv'e added my price page back if after what i offer at the price i have and they still want to shop somethings wrong.

I'm in no position to up my prices i would rather work for little than not work at all.

I had a phonecall other day no price on my site i quoted over the phone stairs and landing and a bedroom i said £55 never heard off them again. This is hard times for everyone they just want cheap there not bothered what you use how you use it they just want to spend as less as possible.

Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Extreme Clean

If you want to go cheap as chips I recommend advertising in your local papers/free papers. It attracts alot of price conscious shoppers. When I first started thats what I did (didn't know any better, I needed the money and it WORKED). Kept me very busy, but I also did a good job.
Another idea is to put a price list on your van stating your cheap price.

I dont recomend cheap prices for many reasons BUT if you feel that strongly as you do, then I suggest you go the whole hog

I also recomend you get a hot water extraction machine. You will see the light one day (hopefully)

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »
i understand what your saying and i do go in local papers it's hard getting the phone to ring and as i progress and have a good customer base then i will up my prices slightly with the times. if you do a good job cheapish they will return and if prices gone up slightly they know it will still be a good job and i will get a HWE when i have a bank balance to do it  :)
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

davep

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 07:24:47 pm »
Doesn't matter what you charge you'll always get price shoppers

So - put your prices up and you'll still have similar conversion rate

It is true people don't go for something too cheap

garry22

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:45 pm »
Phil, you have a built in price "ladder" with Dry Fusion.

You offer the existing bog standard clean with Pure Fusion.

Next up you offer Activator (let them smell the perfume) and lastly, at a much higher price you use Bactoshield.

The work is virtually the same but you can offer three price ranges. Many will go for the higher option.

Try it.

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:37 pm »
i understand what your saying Garry but i tried that before didn't work and i will sell bactoshield etc when people tell me specific problems.

i have gone £29 a single room
£45 a double room
and H-S-L from £40
thats not bad money especially in my area i will even struggle to get that i have struggled getting £20 a room before i'm just gonna stick with these prices for now and see what happens gonna see if i can get someone marketing and calling people for commision only thats what i need.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

davep

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:54 pm »
Here's an example 1st job today

I was doing 2 bedrooms small hall £75

She showed me a flyer in the communal area, usual half price rubbish.

What reason did she give as not to go with them at £25 the lot?

Looks too cheap  :o

wayne zabel

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »
Works both ways though,on Saturday I went to a house to remove a number of oil stains that my sons mate had made on a carpet whilst doing some electrical work.My sons mate was paying the bill.

The woman in the house told me that she had only had the carpets cleaned that week.I asked who she had to do the job and how much she had paid.I told her I would have charged £40 for the job.

Oh Im not paying that she said I get it done for £20.

I tried to educate her that in my opinion know one could sustain a business long term charging that price for what must be an hour and a half to two hours work including travel times ect.

Oh im not bothered about that,I just want a cheap job,she said.

Id like to increase my rates but this is what we are up against.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:35 pm »
Yeah I hate people with that attitude! They are the type of people that probably file for fake or exatraged insurance claims, dont pay debts, pawn thier grannies jewellery etc  :)

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »
Dave i'm not that cheap then 2 x rooms at £29 = £58 then say £10 for hallway = £68 maybe knock the £8 to seal the deal £60 thats good to me.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

wayne zabel

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
At the start of january i didn't have any work booked in.I took a call for a price for a bedroom and a stairs and quoted £40.Job was booked after being told I was the best quote so far.

Day before doing the job i got a text saying i was no longer required as they had got a better price,but thanked me for my attitude and professionalism on the phone.

Unbelievable that some will book a job and still carry on shopping to save £5.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »
The way I see it the main purpose of a website is to create interest and how you go about creating that interest that determines the type of people who will eventually call you. You'll always get price shoppers, but rather than viewing them as time wasters, they are very often just looking for someone to trust and are therefore are open to persuasion.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:09 am »
some 'price shoppers' are really 'price matchers' if your price matches what they have to spend you get the job.

Most people are lazy, they are wanting an easy life, if they call you and your price is what they want to spend they will stop looking.... Especially if you have done your job right and used a bit of salesmanship and kept them on the phone for a while

If you quote £80 and the lady only has £35 spare from the housekeeping then you can be as persuasive as you want she......cannot afford your services.

We need to remember its not the priceshoppers fault they don't have £80 spare, they only have £35 so will keep searching until they  find a carpet cleaner who will do the job for that amount.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 08:45:36 am »
One of the first things we notced when we got our first website was how well informed people were, almost as if they had looked, not just at your website, but at others and by the time they rang you had all but chosen you, subject to the price being acceptable.
Putting prices on websites or leaflets is in my view a big mistake as it removes the need for people to call you AND focuses on the issue of price, something you did by publishing your prices. Why not create an interesting informative website / leaflet and have it get people sufficiently interested to call you for a price. It is their level of interest and them having chosen you before they even ring that will in a lot of cases overcome 'price resistance.'

Simon

JandS

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
And of course none of us on here ever price
shops........ ;D
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

james roffey

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
On commodities i price shop i am into Hi Fi if i can get it cheaper off the internet i will, if i want a tradseman then price is not the same issue it is less important the expertise and quality are more important. Who in their right mind would go for the cheapest builder, plasterer,electrician, or plumber.
Although the consequences of employing a carpet cleaner who may not know what he is doing are less, they are letting this tradesman into their home to work on their expensive  carpets or upholstery, i would want to increase my odds of getting someone who is a professional, and although it's no guarantee generally speaking the guy charging the higher price will be better.

Some customers have the extra money but need educating in why you are charging more, some want cheap and don't care, never worry about these people, and all want what they see as value for money, never had a single customer complain about my price after i have done the job, but plenty over the phone.

wynne jones

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
I'm all in favour of 'trying' something rather than guessing whether it will or won't work.

Two comments though. Personally I wouldn't of waited 6 months (unless I was changing other things to see how it affected things).

The other thing is, as soon as someone has a price they stop reading/listening. People who are 'successful' getting the phone to ring with prices are cheap and that's all they are selling. 101 sales, don't give 'em a price till they know why it's the best value.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 01:20:32 pm »
James, interesting you should mention hi fi.

To take one example I see lots and lots of advertising for Bose products in magazines and the like. (There are plenty of other products I'm sure that also do this.)

These adverts NEVER mention the price even though they are in effect selling a commodity. The "blurb" is about selling the idea and it's only when you start digging, either on the net or discussing it in a shop that you find out the costs of their products. Of course, by this stage you as a potential buyer have expressed an interest and to some extent are now committing yourself to buying.

So personally if I was running a business I wouldn't put prices on a web page but instread wait for the potential client to contact me.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

garry22

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
One of the first things we notced when we got our first website was how well informed people were, almost as if they had looked, not just at your website, but at others and by the time they rang you had all but chosen you, subject to the price being acceptable.
Putting prices on websites or leaflets is in my view a big mistake as it removes the need for people to call you AND focuses on the issue of price, something you did by publishing your prices. Why not create an interesting informative website / leaflet and have it get people sufficiently interested to call you for a price. It is their level of interest and them having chosen you before they even ring that will in a lot of cases overcome 'price resistance.'

Simon has just about nailed it here.

I first got into online stuff about seven years ago by writing online copy. As far as I could see, my job as a copywriter was to get the customer to a stage where they were as near as possible to buying from my client before they picked the phone up.

By "copy" I do not just mean long salesletters. Copy can mean video scripts, autoresponders sequences, whatever.

To use a cliche, a website is a brilliant tool for doing your selling on autopilot, twenty four hours a day. The same goes for leaflets and adverts.

Whilst a lot of people do have less money to spend, it's more of a case of they want to spend it more WISELY (as opposed to buying the cheapest).

Mike Halliday

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:10 pm »
Volkswagen can't sell many Golfs, big billboard end of my road saying 'new Golf £16285' who's going to ring them or go into the showroom when they already know the prices

inside the front cover of this months Radio Times.....Furniture Village are selling leather settees for £1199

to say publishing price stops people calling is too simplistic, I thinks its more tha case that we don't have the  marketing knowledge needed to use the technique of publishing our prices.  just like £4.95p is better than £5 prices need to be used correctly in marketing.

i made a mistake not because I published my prices but I did it the wrong way

james roffey

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:17 pm »
Rog on the rare occasion that i buy something new i look at reviews, many of them to find the very best best thing for the job, then i look for who does the cheapest offer for it, much easier than finding a tradesman thats why customers return to us if we do a good job, less risk

Top end Hi fi sells itself for doing things very well.

Mike interesting you say that i have price on my site i still think it works for me, but can never be certain thought i might try removing it for a while and see what happens

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »
There's a big difference between buying a product and buying a service.

Knowing the price of a product can spark an interest in a customer, even if they weren't in the market for that product.

I can't think of many trades / services who list prices on adverts - I wouldn't have a clue what a plumber, electrician, decorator or builder charges until they come round and give me a quote.

Your website is your shop window, don't give away all your secrets at once - if you list your prices then they have no reason to phone you if they don't like the price.

Sell the benefits, not the features

wynne jones

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:07 pm »
VW is a good example of a brand associated with quality and prices to match. So when they put a price up people think its bargain, but how much is the equivalent Skoda.

Thier brand has already told you why they are expensive. So do Apple, but people don't care how much an ipad is. Unfortunately even you Mike probably have to tell them why before they buy, because you're not on tv, billboards and magazines every day throwing millions at branding.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

andy east sussex

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 05:10:06 pm »
i know how we can beat these customers who dont want to paymuch buy a bissel carpet cleaner and show them your proffessional system say it will be £15 for bissel of £40 for proffessional clean solved lol

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »
The issue here is one of developing interest, rather than using a website to try and sell, two completely different things, and if you have done that right the prospective customer is suffciently interested in your service to call you for the one thing you didn't tell them on your website, the price.
Even price shoppers, or those who have had their fingers burnt in the past by cc'ers can be won over during a phone call as long as they are convinced that what you are offering represents value for money. Price is only an issue at the beginning of the process because all people are actually buying is the 'promise' of a clean carpet, unlike a shiny new car that they can test drive first and know exactly what they are getting for their money, so it is quality of the end of the day that they are interested in and you have to make them believe that is what they are going to get and if so, you'll get the sale.

Simon

*Hector*

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 06:57:41 pm »
The issue here is one of developing interest, rather than using a website to try and sell, two completely different things, and if you have done that right the prospective customer is suffciently interested in your service to call you for the one thing you didn't tell them on your website, the price.
Even price shoppers, or those who have had their fingers burnt in the past by cc'ers can be won over during a phone call as long as they are convinced that what you are offering represents value for money. Price is only an issue at the beginning of the process because all people are actually buying is the 'promise' of a clean carpet, unlike a shiny new car that they can test drive first and know exactly what they are getting for their money, so it is quality of the end of the day that they are interested in and you have to make them believe that is what they are going to get and if so, you'll get the sale.

Simon

Or you can do as Simon does..... and send 6 guys round to beat the customer into giving you the order  ;D ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Steve9

Re: Putting prices on websites
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2013, 07:56:07 pm »
I thought I'd reignite this topic rather than start a new one.

10 months since this started how are you finding it's going Mike? With a 'guide' rather than actual pricing or no pricing.

Paul Moss

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »
It's gone poop e as Mike has packed in and sold his business to Shaun Ashmore for £2 k

benny d

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:45 pm »
And he's given his van to Longleat Zoo . Ben Fogel drives it all the time.  ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Mike Halliday

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »
its all become irrelevant with the Google changes over the last year, my website has dropped off the first page and now only acts as an information portal for people receiving my other marketing material

I don.t get any enquiries from people searching Google. so the prices page  has had no effect

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2013, 12:19:55 am »
mike you need to change your website then! Google works ;) even up in Scotland :)
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:26 am »
Could some one in the know tell me why this website is number one on google

http://cleanserv-york-beverley.co.uk

And I'm no 4 on page 3?

http://www.henryhalliday.co.uk

They say content is king, my website is fully loaded but is beaten by directories and other basic websites. For me The first page of google is just directories and irrelevant crappy websites that do not answer the persons search.

Even my google places listing  doesn't show  as it just shows this message  'we currently do not support the location' and that is fully completed with videos and photos and is correctly filled in

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:33 am »
Mines the same dropped loads fortunately I'm on maps I was top genetically for years.

Shaun

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2013, 11:56:51 am »

And I'm no 4 on page 3?

They say content is king, my website is fully loaded but is beaten by directories and other basic websites. For me The first page of google is just directories and irrelevant crappy websites that do not answer the persons search.

Even my google places listing  doesn't show  as it just shows this message  'we currently do not support the location' and that is fully completed with videos and photos and is correctly filled in

Have you got enough links to other websites? Try make meta-tags easy and etc.   You can normally get a SEO to improve your listings for £50 on PeoplePerHour.

Richard Cole

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:21 pm »

And I'm no 4 on page 3?

I suspect Mike that you don't show in Google Places because you have fallen foul of Google's policy of showing your address as Google no longer likes service based business showing their home addresses. I too fell foul of this and even when i removed it and lodged a request with Google it has taken me months to get back to page one of Google and even then only for Carpet Cleaners, i'm on page 2 for Carpet Cleaning my local town.

I would also have a look at Adword's Mike as done, correctly it does not have to cost a lot, i pay roughly £40 a month and it generates a steady stream of work for me.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

garry22

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 06:08:43 pm »
Mike, I'm getting a 403 error code from your site. It's not live for some reason.

Robert Watson

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »
Hi Richard, I`m totally confused with place`s. I`m sure I`m missing something, but when I log on to edit, the address is mandatory????? I took a hit as well and I could do with getting back in there.
As regarding natural listings, Google isn't returning the most relevant results, what I thought it was all supposed to be about, You get Gumtree, Groupon or any old crap. Its all over the place and if anyone can work it out, their a better man than me.  
The Kitchen Door Centre

neil 47

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »
No facebook page Mike  ???
IICRC

garry22

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »
Bear in mind Penguin 2.1 was only a couple of weeks ago and went after linking (again), your links look strange.

There was a huge drop in numbers in August and now there seems to be just loads and loads of directories linking to your site. Have you added those or has someone been a bit naughty?

davep

JandS

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
So why would a service based business be punished for showing their address.
Just shows that nobody has a clue about Google really, not even so called SEO people because they haven't a clue really.
They keep ringing me and telling me they will get me to number one on Google. Fine I say,  then you won't mind giving me a month free trial and if your that good then not only will I book and pay you for a full year I'll pay you for the free trial month.
Not one as taken up the offer which begs the question...is there such a thing as SEO.
Someone about 3 miles from me comes up fairly high up on Google and they don't even have a website, much for SEO.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:22 pm »
Bear in mind Penguin 2.1 was only a couple of weeks ago and went after linking (again), your links look strange.

There was a huge drop in numbers in August and now there seems to be just loads and loads of directories linking to your site. Have you added those or has someone been a bit naughty?

Garry are you referring to my website with your comment about directories linking to my site?  How can I see what is linking to my site?

Dave it is a dp site

garry22

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
Mike

www.ahrefs.com will give you a basic check (you only get the full stuff with a paid membership - which I think Vernon has).

SEO spyglass (free) shows about 6,000 directory backlinks (which does not sound right and is probably giving duplicates).

It looks like this latest Penguin update has clobbered all sorts of people across the board. Normally when this happens, they go in hard and then "turn down the effects" after a few days. It is normally better to do nothing for a while. Your site may just be giving a false positive.

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2013, 09:51:33 pm »
It could be the problem Mike, that you have a cagillioin inbound links to your site which are duplicate content with the same anchor text.

I'm not saying this is the problem, but is more than likely you have been hit with an anchor text penalty from your incomming links.

These are just a handfull of those links:

http://wwwlinks.co.uk/henryhalliday.co.uk-7673.html
http://promote-your-sites.com/henryhalliday.co.uk-7673.html
http://www.directorychannel.org/henryhalliday.co.uk-7673.html
http://directoryinclusion.info/henryhalliday.co.uk-7673.html
http://dirfusion.co.uk/henryhalliday.co.uk-7737.html
http://linkexpert.co.uk/henryhalliday.co.uk-7464.html
http://dirbuzz.co.uk/henryhalliday.co.uk-8577.html

Sourced from: http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/

Also the information from open site explorer may not be up to date, so to get a better idea is to log into your Google webmaster tools and download the (links to your site) file.

neil 47

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:26 am »
Mike its because google doesn't trust you due to your high link count probably all put on at the same time so dosent show up as natural links
IICRC

Dominic Carnell

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
Links from spam web directories will kill a good website, in terms of SEO, even if the 'site has great content.

#killer penguin

Mike Halliday

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
so how do i get rid of all these links? and who put  them there in the first place?

i always though external links couldn't harm a website as this would be a way to sabotage competing companies websites, all you need to do is sign them up to every spam links site you can find and watch their ranking fall

Dominic Carnell

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 01:47:15 pm »
i always though external links couldn't harm a website as this would be a way to sabotage competing companies websites, all you need to do is sign them up to every spam links site you can find and watch their ranking fall

Negative SEO (attacking another website) can be a problem: http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2290087/Negative-SEO-Case-Study-How-to-Uncover-an-Attack-Using-a-Backlink-Audit

http://moz.com/blog/google-disavow-tool Makes interesting reading re removing back links.

It's really a case of manually contacting the website owners to request the link is removed.

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:21 pm »
so how do i get rid of all these links? and who put  them there in the first place?

If you look at a terms page: http://linkexpert.co.uk/page/terms-of-use.html
you will see athe bottom:

Important:-

Process of Link Removal-

It must be remembered that all featured links for which you have paid could be removed when a request is made by the link owner as you have paid for them. However, the free links cannot be removed with a request through email. For removal of such links, we charge $5 for each link. Since we have provided the free links for SEO purposes free of charge, the removal will be charged. This is a part of our terms and conditions. Therefore, if you don’t agree, do not use our directory.

Did you employ anyone such as an SEO'er that may have added these links, if so I would ask them if they can remove them.

If not, then I would email the above and request removal as they were added without your authorisation.
I would also add in the email that if they are not removed, you will report the site as spam to Google.
I would also include ALL the links and request that they are All removed.

In the meantime I would collect all the links (and any other spam links that you are certain of) and use the webmaster disavow tool.....disavowing each whole domain as eg- domain:bad-link-site.com (not the actual page of your listing).
So one line on the disavow text file would look like this- domain:linkexpert.co.uk

I'm sceptical at the mo if the disavow tool actually works, some say they have had succsess and others not.
I submitted a disavow file many weeks ago and still waiting to see any result.
I've seen that a  google engineer says that after submission it may take several weeks for google to process the request and then
you would have to wait for the next Penguin update.

garry22

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »
Here's something I received a while ago.

It's a request to remove links from a site that I own (but have not touched in a long time). It was a site that published articles.

Basically, this clown spammed that site and now wants his spammy links removed. Apparently it was some dirty rotten scoundrel of an SEO er who did the spamming.. not him!

The reason I gave up running the site was that it took too long to vet all the articles for spam. Now he has got hit by Penguin (he has 30,000 = spammed links) he wants me to go into that site, find his links, delete them and then let him know.

He has paid a company to look after this work for him (what a joke). If I do not remove the links the site will go on his disavow list and be blacklisted anyway.

A Request For Your Help

Sunday 20th of October 2013 09:47:48 PM

Registration Private Domains By Proxy, LLC

Dear Registration Private Domains By Proxy, LLC:

We have discovered that a company we hired to help promote our website gundogsonline.com have used a variety of questionable  techniques to secure links to our website. These links were placed purely for SEO purposes, with the intention of manipulating search rankings.

It appears that there may be links like this that have been placed on your site.

The presence of these links is harmful to our site's good standing with search engines, and unfortunately, retaining them may also be potentially harmful to your own website's reputation.

We would ask that you please remove any links on your site that link to gundogsonline.com.

So far as we are aware, there are (or have been) links at these URLs:

LIST OF 7 LINKS

We would greatly appreciate your help with resolving this problem.

You can also let us know once the links to gundogsonline.com have been removed either by return email, or using the link below.

If you need any more information from us, please email me and I will be happy to assist.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and do appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey English

The following url will allow you to let us know that the links were removed.  This url is
provided only for ease of use.  If you are not comfortable with clicking a link please email us back and let us know it is done.
http://www.rmoov.com/domain_cleanup.php?id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way, Google does not actually tell him which links are wrong. He (or his "recovery company" are just guessing. Google just asks them to submit a list of links that they THINK may be causing the problem.

All that he is actually doing is sticking his hand up and saying to Google "hey I cheated you. Now I've admitted it, please put me back to the top of your rankings now"

He spammed my site heavily and now wants me (and probably a host of others) to get him out of trouble.

This is how Google took down a lot of blog networks. People panicked and gave them details of the

Darran Pryce

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 04:50:11 pm »
I was cleaning a carpet when the next door neighbour came out and asked me to quote her living room carpet.  100% wool, smallish back to back terrace house.  I quoted £50 for 1 carpet, she replied why do I think that's a lot of money?!  I replied how much did you pay for your carpet? £1200, so I said £50 for one carpet to be cleaned is cheap, compared with  replacing the carpet!

Can't do with people like that who want things for nothing...

Don't get a lot of them thank goodness. 

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »
I was cleaning a carpet when the next door neighbour came out and asked me to quote her living room carpet.  100% wool, smallish back to back terrace house.  I quoted £50 for 1 carpet, she replied why do I think that's a lot of money?!  I replied how much did you pay for your carpet? £1200, so I said £50 for one carpet to be cleaned is cheap, compared with  replacing the carpet!

Can't do with people like that who want things for nothing...

Don't get a lot of them thank goodness. 

Seriously and did she book you?   She was prob think £20 for it.

Darran Pryce

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »
No mate she didn't.  When we know how much work goes in to what we do, pre spray, oreck for agitation, carpet cleaning, our carpet cleaning solutions, then hard graft, plus cost for running your van... then I won't lower my price.  I have too much good work commercial and domestic and a lot of regular customers to just say I will do your carpet for £20!  Not worth it mate.

neil 47

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:14 am »
Mike

Just use adwords until your site gets sorted , or buy another called beverleyandhullcarpetandupholsterycleaners.co.uk  then link it to yours then use a redirect should rank in about 5 to 6 months with a bit of work

Neil
IICRC

bennymon

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »
I hate all this lark I just want to be a fuc###g carpet cleaner lol

derek west

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »
Exactly, and thats what i do. leave all that blox to the experts and get on with what i do best, eating macdonalds.  ;D oh and i'm quite good at carpet cleaning too.

neil 47

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 07:41:19 am »

Benny
You will always struggle, if its one thing I have learnt its not about being a cc .

Darran

Your wife gets it and is doing a fine job. .

Look at all the successfully carpet cleaners they all tend to have partners that compliment them , its very difficult to succeed on your own , all good business people build teams and hire people that are good at specific jobs,

Exactly, and thats what i do. leave all that blox to the experts and get on with what i do best, eating macdonalds.  Grin oh and i'm quite good at carpet cleaning too.
IICRC

bennymon

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »
Bo#####s to carpet cleaning I've decided to dedicate all my time to mcdonalds  ;) ;) ;)