Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Putting prices on websites
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
this old topic again!!

6 months ago I put a prices block on my website which listed all my 'high' prices...... LR £70 through lounges £90 bedrooms £60  suites £150

I did it because I was sick of price shoppers calling, I thought my prices would scare off all the people who wanted a living room cleaning for £20.

IT WAS A MISTAKE :-\ :-\

it did stop all the price-shoppers calling but also stopped everyone else!!  OK the few jobs I did get were good ones, but they were far & few between.

so now i'm trying a different page which is much simpler and gives a basic guide price, hopefully it will get people to call, then I can use my selling skills to increase the price ( although if they have a small room they will get the quoted price I'm not trying to 'bait & switch' them)

i don't mention suite prices as they are increasing so i want to get them to call so I can book a home visit.

http://www.henryhalliday.co.uk/Beverley-Hull-Carpet-Cleaners/price-guide.html

the page is still a work in progress and thing might change I'll just see how it goes,

this page also show also shows how  I'm going to change my website over the coming weeks  to a more 'friendly, family run feel' with lots of nice frindly pictures
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

kerrpmiddleton

Re: prices on websites
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:26 am »
 :D not bad certainly a very friendly looking team , its geting them to look at yoursite,

Allan Simmons

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:05 am »
Hi Mike

That's exactly what we found with higher prices on the website and/or the get a quote now calculator.  It appears to put off both the price shopper and the clients who will pay our price once they understand what we do for that price.  Of the guys i know using prices on their site the ones that appear to make it work are the lower priced guys, which there's nothing wrong with, and that's their advantage on the web.

Your website looks good and should encourage calls, which then gives you the chance to sell the home visit and sell the higher price as you say.

Paul Moss

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:30 pm »
Mike looks good, i think your right about removing prices, i never believe that it works unless its cheap pricing and your going for volume.

You still have that picture of the scary guy though at the endof the rug video  :D

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »
Hi Mike

We have prices on our website just for the shoppers

Works for us in our area

Richard & Tara

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
Your family is confusing  Mike is Henry and Michael is?

Blacky

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »

It's all smoke n mirrors as is the 3 generations of cleaners statement. All credit to mike/Henry or whatever your called. Business should be about making profit at all costs and he certainly try's.

Craigp

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:44 pm »
Hi Mike

We have prices on our website just for the shoppers

Works for us in our area

Richard & Tara

Don't you find you have to do high volume though? and what when it slows down, we cant be flat out all year.

AshWhite

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »
Mike looks good, i think your right about removing prices, i never believe that it works unless its cheap pricing and your going for volume.

You still have that picture of the scary guy though at the endof the rug video  :D

Get yer coat, Mike - you've pulled.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »
Hi Craigp

We do high and low volume jobs.

Must of the carpet cleaners in our area have prices on their sites thats why we added it on ours just for the shoppers.

Richard & Tara

Max Campbell

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »

Yeah, and Berverley only gets one mention

benny d

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »
Im so confused, which one is Beverley?
They both look like blokes to me...
 ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
IT WAS A MISTAKE :-\ :-\

it did stop all the price-shoppers calling but also stopped everyone else!!  

I could have told you that would happen. When looking at the web site stats and when I had a page named 'prices' that was the most visited page.
Personally put up with the phone calls rather than letting them compare on line prices.

derek west

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 06:24:58 pm »
Im so confused, which one is Beverley?
They both look like blokes to me...
 ;)
;D

beverley only comes out at night. ;) ;D

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »
Iv'e added my price page back if after what i offer at the price i have and they still want to shop somethings wrong.

I'm in no position to up my prices i would rather work for little than not work at all.

I had a phonecall other day no price on my site i quoted over the phone stairs and landing and a bedroom i said £55 never heard off them again. This is hard times for everyone they just want cheap there not bothered what you use how you use it they just want to spend as less as possible.

Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Extreme Clean

If you want to go cheap as chips I recommend advertising in your local papers/free papers. It attracts alot of price conscious shoppers. When I first started thats what I did (didn't know any better, I needed the money and it WORKED). Kept me very busy, but I also did a good job.
Another idea is to put a price list on your van stating your cheap price.

I dont recomend cheap prices for many reasons BUT if you feel that strongly as you do, then I suggest you go the whole hog

I also recomend you get a hot water extraction machine. You will see the light one day (hopefully)

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »
i understand what your saying and i do go in local papers it's hard getting the phone to ring and as i progress and have a good customer base then i will up my prices slightly with the times. if you do a good job cheapish they will return and if prices gone up slightly they know it will still be a good job and i will get a HWE when i have a bank balance to do it  :)
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

davep

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 07:24:47 pm »
Doesn't matter what you charge you'll always get price shoppers

So - put your prices up and you'll still have similar conversion rate

It is true people don't go for something too cheap

garry22

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:45 pm »
Phil, you have a built in price "ladder" with Dry Fusion.

You offer the existing bog standard clean with Pure Fusion.

Next up you offer Activator (let them smell the perfume) and lastly, at a much higher price you use Bactoshield.

The work is virtually the same but you can offer three price ranges. Many will go for the higher option.

Try it.

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:37 pm »
i understand what your saying Garry but i tried that before didn't work and i will sell bactoshield etc when people tell me specific problems.

i have gone £29 a single room
£45 a double room
and H-S-L from £40
thats not bad money especially in my area i will even struggle to get that i have struggled getting £20 a room before i'm just gonna stick with these prices for now and see what happens gonna see if i can get someone marketing and calling people for commision only thats what i need.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk