This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

S.C.S

JUST STARTING UP..
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:10:52 am »
Where can i start, well i myself live in cradley heath in the west midlands and ive just set up a cleanign buiness mainly window cleaning that operates under the name of S.C.S SPARKLE CLEANING SERVICES.
I set the buiness up last year with a mate but fell out and now im doing on me own ive just took on a lad who works for me 5 days a week and im also looking to take on someone else in the next few months.
But im looking for a little advice basically taking on these staff mean i need more work now i got most of this round by knocking doors freind sof family and some good advertising my end but i need to find more work quickly to cover the new lad who will be starting in november now would it be best to just knock doors again for the work or just to save all the hassle go out there and buy a round what would you do???? ???

brett walker

Re: JUST STARTING UP..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:52:50 am »
Hi S.C.S

its good if you can go out door knocking name your price and make a compact round but there are so many window cleaners out there it can take time. I prefere to go out and buy an established round everyones got their own views i guess it depends on whereabouts in the country you are and how much work there is about
i live in nottingham the second roughest city in england after hull so most of our windows are boarded up lol  ;D

good luck

brett

S.C.S

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:59:10 am »
To be honest i think thats the best thing to do i mean i found some good work knocking doors and i mean some really good work i went out last monght bored one night so i knocked on about 50 houses and i picked up 39 of them at 4.00 each and i get them done in 6 hours but it seems to have dies of by me every1 seems to have a window cleaner so i think its better to just go and buy one.

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:23:43 am »
so i knocked on about 50 houses and i picked up 39 of them at 4.00 each

No wonder you picked up 39 of them you are to cheap put your prices up that way you need less work for the same money.

williamx

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 01:25:19 pm »
SCS

You are way to cheap raise your price to £6.00 per house minumum.

Walter Pole

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 06:40:35 pm »
William:

Print some decent bsuiness cards/flyers: http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/ns/default.aspx?GP=8%2F10%2F2005+8%3A48%3A20+AM

Wear a uniform
and charge more for your work...I am the most expensive window cleaner in town and I get constant referals, maybe 3 a week on average because I charge high I take my time do the cills and frames and always try to behave as a professional...not that I am sugesting you are not!

Also get some magnetic signs for your car/van.........these cost me £10
taking panes to exceed expectations

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 06:54:03 pm »
Hi SCS,

Have been in your shoes 6 times now and all I can say is what I did was this. In the build up to your new guy starting I went door knocking the month before, any earlier than that and the new customer could forget or change their minds. Then during the month before my new guy starts I give a leaflet to every customer offering a 25% discount of their next clean for any new customer they introduce, this works really well, lets face it, how many times do you hear the "oh my frined needs a window cleaner" this just gives your customer a reason to remember now!! OK, by now you should have increased your round, so when your new guy starts, get him to work with your existing employee and get out there during the week, say two days a week looking for commercial or domestic work. This way you can build the round up whilst the two employees are covering your exisiting work. I now have 6 employee's and have never had to buy a round yet, it cost's you not only to buy the round but also in wages to clean the new work, thats a big dent in ya profitability!!  Hope this helps, best wishes, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

S.C.S

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:32:27 am »
 :) Id just like to say thank you to all the folk that have found time to help me especially kev. Ive been looking at this site now for ages and it gave me a lot of useful information.
As for me chargeing £4.00 a house i no thats bad when i go to a new house now  i.e council estate i charge a minimum of £5.50.
Ive even got houses on my round that i only charge £3.50 for the full house but i just do them because my grandad used to be a window cleaner all his life and he gave me the work and i just like to go and do it noing he has done them in the past plus they are really nice customers you must admit it the old ladys are really nice cup of tea and cake ummm. lol.
Anyway lads thanks.... :)

S.C.S

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 12:33:57 pm »
 ;) Id also like to thank chartermarque ive just oredered some buiness cards frm that link . Probably the cheapest i no... Thanks 8)