Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garyfindlay

worldwide marketing solutions.....scam?
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:12:57 pm »
had a call today from the above company. Said he worked for google, and would get me on first page, for any key words if I gave him £99 for a "free trial" Wanted paid over the phone, and i replied you could be anybody. I`ve seen crimewatch. give me 20 mins and i`ll show you. phone rang, I checked google, and I was up on top of adwords listing. Apart from the pay over the phone bit, does that sound ok, or Is it a too good to be true senario.

Re: worldwide marketing solutions.....scam?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:19 pm »
Dont bother, just use half that £99 pcm and do it yourself on adwords, these deals are usually for just 5 keywords, loads of companys offer the same sort of deal, they are nothing to do with google, if you were a loan company and asked for one of your keywords to be "quick loans" they wouldnt do it, if you wanted "carpet cleaners (your local town)" they would accept this as one of your keywords. But not just something like "carpet cleaners"

Regards,

Paul

Bob Robertson

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »
Gary

Was that you I saw going up the Clyde today on that banana boat?  ;D

Bob

garyfindlay

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:03:12 pm »
what time at?

garry22

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:30 am »
Gary,

The estimated cost per click for the term carpet cleaning motherwell is 4p (£ 0.04).

Some other terms in your vicinity are higher but their estimates are normally much higher than the actual cost.

You would have to get a lot of clicks to get through £ 99.

Garry

garyfindlay

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:09 pm »
it was for carpet cleaning glasgow, and 5 other phrases. in 20 mins i was top of the adwords listing. don`t know how much it costs to stay there or if you are rotated with other listings.

derek west

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:52:19 pm »
gary
i'm guessing youve allready signed up then? you must have for him to open you a google account.

i got google to do mine, it cost me a fiver to set up, they do everything for you including over a 1000 keyphrases,(if you want that many) ive got double that now, running costs are whatever i want them to be.

garry22

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »
Derek,

How many campaigns and ad groups have you got using those thousand keywords?

Garry

derek west

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »
google will sort out all that for you. all you do is set your spend.

garry22

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 05:50:28 pm »
Derek,

It has a massive bearing on how much you pay.

I worked on a telecom project last year and we had four hundred keywords spread across twenty ad groups. Each group had at least three ads being tested against each ther to test click through rates. Some got double the clicks of others.

These varied from 8.5% up to the occasional 80%.

if you are happy, fine.. but you may be able to slash your bill.

Garry

garry22

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:53 pm »
Sorry Gary,

carpet cleaning glasgow is about £1.52 -1.72 ESTIMATED cost per click (in exact match). This will vary according to your landing page quality score and your click through rate. The reality is that you could probably half that figure (or even more).

derek west

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »
WTF you on about.

garyfindlay

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 07:10:08 pm »
Garry:

it was 5 phrases, all Glasgow based like carpet cleaning Glasgow, Upholstery cleaning Glasgow, Rug Cleaning Glasgow etc. pay per click was high, in my opinion, so for a month, £99 seemed ok. I thought it would be around 60 clicks onto my website, then it wasn`t costing me. Am I right.

in 20 minutes he had my details top of adword listings. would I have stayed there, or do they rotate?

Derek:

I hav`nt signed up. I didn`t want to give card details over the phone. Call me old fashioned. also he phoned me about 6 times, so if it was such a good idea, why is no one else signing up, cos he only needed one person.

garry22

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:35:43 pm »
Our gain is the Diplomatic Corps' loss ;D

Lord, now you've put me on the spot.

Your adwords position and cost is made up of your bid price times your click through rate times your quality score rating.

1/ The idea is to have small groups of keywords (ad groups) that are all closely related... eg carpet cleaner glasgow, carpet cleaner glasgow etc. These are (normally) best in exact match). Your ads should tightly fit those keywords.

2/ You then produce a highly optimised landing page (optimised for those terms only). We had sixty different pages for the telecom ecample (some clicks were £ 24.00 + !).

3/ Google checks the page and gives it a quality score.

4/ You then do very targeted ads for just those searches. The more targeted, the more likely to match the searcher's intent and (normally) more clickthroughs (=higher percentage click through rate). You do two or three ads to test against each other and you keep going with the best performing ad (higher click through rate).

If you get these two right you will be able to rank well above someone who is paying a lot more per click.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOU?

If you have hundreds of keywords in one group, there is no way they are going to give a good match. Some will perform great and others (most) will suck. These lousy ones drop the quality score (how relevant is the ad to the keyword and landing page) and the click through rate (same reasons) right down. This is why negative keywords are so important (to get rid of the stuff that is irelevant).

So, your bid price rockets yet you still may not reach the top spots.

Hope that makes sense.

Garry.

derek west

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »
garry
 yeah i know all that,

what did i say that prompted you to think otherwise.

garry22

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »
Sorry Derek,

Missed this one.

I met someone recently who let Google do his Adwords. They put 800 keywords into one group and used just one advert for the whole lot.

When you said Google did yours, I was concerned that they may have done the same for you.