Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

can someone explain this?
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:48 am »
I recently got a web site sorted out and when I google carpet cleaners in my town, on my computer ,I come out at the top on page 1 of google,if I do the same on a computer at my employers I'm on page 2 or 3.
Any ideas please.

richy27

Re: can someone explain this?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:00:49 am »
wayne had exactly same thing basically you need to change your settings its emmbering your personal settings
delete your browsing history cookies etc

Paul W Jones

wayne zabel

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:49:36 am »
Yes If I log out I go down the ranks,when I log in I go to page 1.

I find all this so confusing,why the differnce?

Any ideas how a semi computer illiterate person like me can get this ranking higher.I'm near the top of th google map section but on page 3 of the rankings,will this get higher in time,Ive had the site on line only about 3 weeks.

JandS

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:55 am »
Sometimes think it's a bit of a lottery with Google.
I find by changing the content of my site around every couple of
weeks and adding stuff and deleting stuff keeps me up there.
Took 4 or 5 weeks to get it established though.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Thackley Cleaning Services

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
The other option and probably the simplest one is that your browser may be set to google.co.uk default whereas the other computer may be google.com

It makes a difference.

Alternatively - google has lots of servers where the information is stored and they can be all over the world.

The rankings will vary according to where the info is stored.  At any time if there are too many searches, google will route the extra searches to other data centres hence the differing results.

Graham Rogers

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:24 am »
Hi there,

Google does personalized search. So if you search for you site using the keywords and then select your site it will then rank high in the listings whenever you search for your site on your computer. Google remembers that on your computer you like that site and ranks it higher.

Your friends computer is giving the true ranking of your site.

Graham

james roffey

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:10 pm »
Its your pc trying to find what YOU are looking for it thinks you want to find your own site because you keep looking at it, as suggested you have to remove the browsing history set up and cookies from your pc otherwise all you searches will be tainted because of your own browsing history.

sarahbelleee

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:04:45 am »
You can install Ghrome, Opera or Mozzila and try them.  I have two expolers and check ranking of my site on both of them

slioch

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »
All the replies are helpful and here is another.

Where is the other computer? If it is 20 miles away it may be significant.  Google knows where the computer is and will deliver results according to geography.  This is only one of many factors at play here, and possibly one with weaker influence on ranking but I suspect it has something to do with it.