This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bryan_Dolby

Use of hose pipes ( Frankyboy)
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »
bryan
i got pulled up the other week,by the highways agency.
working a way in a cud de suc.where you dont see anybody.van parked on the road,hose lying on road then crosses over the path to the house.where i was working.cones on paths warning people.
he said i was breaking hs laws and to move the hose.

now to mr average,is this h&s gone mad.

how would you deal with this.

Franky

The law is the law does not matter if  you  are a sole trader or big buisness

You cannot put a hose across the  road
You could get away with doing one house by putting the hose on the path with sighns but if some one trips over and hurts themselves (you could be done )
This would come under reasnable practicable

Road traffic act
Highways act

Heirachy of controls in health and safety is
Eliminate or sustitute

You could have used A trolley system (END OF STORY)

The only time there will be a problem is when a accident happens

The person who said remove the hose is correct

Bryan

Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

mci services

Re: Use of hose pipes ( Frankyboy)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »
is that answer from the HSE bryan? if so all domestic wfp guys with van mounts are breaking regulations unless they buy a backpack or trolley system as you nearly always have to lay the hose across a pathway

Frankybadboy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:32:58 pm »
thanks for the reply bryan,

stu reply as taken the words from my mouth.

is this world going stupid,with h&s.???????????
cant use a backpack cause i believe ther is a max carry weight you are allowed for h&s.

well then lads you are all breaking the law.pack in the job and sign on.
one ped off window cleaner >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ste M

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »
so how do firemen get on with their hoses all over the place?

after all their doing their jobs just like us

R W C™

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »
I see workman with pipes, hoses etc going accross roads, for trafic lights, drove over a water hose today where workman where working.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:58:54 pm »
dont let these H&S guys get you down!just take whatever steps you can to make the job safer.they do get on your nerves though.there is always risk with any job whether it be hoses or ladders.

stuff em! ;D ;D ;D

im getting a trolley system soon and then someone will say "you cant lift that without a weightlifter belt on!your breaking H&S  laws! ::)

it makes you feel like riding a motorbike with no helmet on with a wooden ladder with rungs missing, smoking while swiggin a bottle of jack daniels barefoot with a black t shirt on and no HI VIZ jacket to be seen!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:21 pm »
If you read what Bryan says.

He says trailing over the pavement is OK, trailing over to the other side of the road across the public highway, not so OK.

Everything OK until something goes wrong.

R W C™

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:07:30 pm »
bryan
i got pulled up the other week,by the highways agency.
working a way in a cud de suc.where you dont see anybody.van parked on the road,hose lying on road then crosses over the path to the house.where i was working.cones on paths warning people.
he said i was breaking hs laws and to move the hose.

now to mr average,is this h&s gone mad.

how would you deal with this.

Franky

The law is the law does not matter if  you  are a sole trader or big buisness

You cannot put a hose across the  road
You could get away with doing one house by putting the hose on the path with sighns but if some one trips over and hurts themselves (you could be done )
This would come under reasnable practicable

Road traffic act
Highways act

Heirachy of controls in health and safety is
Eliminate or sustitute

You could have used A trolley system (END OF STORY)

The only time there will be a problem is when a accident happens

The person who said remove the hose is correct

Bryan

Frankybadboy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:12:39 pm »
If you read what Bryan says.

He says trailing over the pavement is OK, trailing over to the other side of the road across the public highway, not so OK.

Everything OK until something goes wrong.

has said in a cud de sac of 10 houses,do you then think its right and pactical to move the van 5-8 times todo these houses.
all these people who have van mount and do ex amount of houses (even yourself dave) before moving there vans are at risk.
h&s gone mad.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »
AAARRGGHHHH

Maybe using ladders is the safer option after all!!!

Wish H&S would make their bloody minds up and stop pushing pens!!! (or tapping buttons now)
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

daz1977

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »
hi bryan

can u clarify something for me regarding this matter,  i do roads where i do houses both sides of the road  one side then the other, from what u have written am i right in thinking as long as i do one side with signs out then move the van and do the other sides i am ok with in the law,  providing i dont cross the road with my hose

and is there a distance from the van that i can operate at,  or is it as long as my hose is

cheers

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »
Daz

You have to use the safest system

You would have to move the van to each house or i think you would get away with two houses at a time

The longer the hose the more risk there is
risk assesment would be deemed high

Every body will do what they think is best

Franky

Backpack on a fishing trolley problem solved

I am not preaching H/S but just explaining the problems

The law does not differ if in a cul de sac or main road

Do not shoot the messanger

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

daz1977

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 06:20:26 pm »
cheers mate

T J Stevens

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
Safety first!
Risk assessment... Evaluate the hazard... minimize the hazard!

Someone falls over your hose and you could have done it more safely, you've been negligent.

No excuses  ::)

StanA

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:38 pm »
I have stretched a hose across the road before with rubber matt8ingf on top ogf it and warning signs at either edge of the roads.  I haven't done this for a while because although a car would be fine, a motorbike may not be.  I have felt less comfortable about doing this as time has passed - so I no longer do it.
However, as for stetching hose across the footpath, I have to do this on most of my jobs if I'm to use a van mount.
Generally, I tend to work as follows;

1) Remove hosereel from van and place it on the side of the footpath nearest the house where I am to clean or, if possible, inside the boundary of the house.

2) Pull the hose out to the furthest point where I will be using it.  If the hosereel; is on the far side of the path from the van, run the hose along the edge of the hedge (where animals have been excreting) or wall so it isn't in the middle of the path and won't be an obstruction.

3) From the van get my length of hosepipe with the fittings on and join the van to the reel stretching the length of pipe across the path.

4) If necessary, turn the reel sideways on so that the piece of pipe isn't up in the air causing a hazard.  Weigh the pipe down with the base of the reel if needed.

5)  Lay rubber matting over the piece of joining hose.

6) Place a warning sign (or several) in the vicinity of the reel and matting.  If necessary use one or two along the path even though the hose is on the edge of it.

Please note that stages 3 - 5 are carried out without me leaving the immediatre vicinity of the trip hazard in the public area.  I reel the hose out before doing this as hoselock fittings can wear much more wuickly if the reel fitting is spinning around inside it.  It sounds involved but it's actually a routine that can take 30 seconds maybe a minute.
Also, if reasonable care is taken as to placing of signs and keeping the hose at the edge of the path, I am usually able to do three properties from one van position so long as I set up by the middle one.  It's pretty academic for me though as there aren't many areas I do three in a row.
Having a decent length of hose to join the reel with the van is a big help as it enables me to be more flexible about where I position the reel.  It also enables me to be in full attendance for the brief period when there is a trip hazard.  If the reel were fixed in the van, I would have to pull it out to the far side of the job leaving a trip hazard while I was around the back of the property.  Although a sign could be displayed, I would not have an opportunity to cover the hose with rubber matting until I returned to the van.  Sod's law says that those 30 seconds will be the one where a child cycles along the path or the partially sighted person comes along and trips.
Sometimes it's not possible to park in a position to do things safely with a hose so I will get the backpack out.  However, I prefer not to do this by default because my own safety is also an issue and I get quite enough back jip already thanks.
I'm not saying that my way is totally compliant because I really don't know.  However, as far as using hose and reel goes, it's probably as good as it can get IMO.
Does it slow me down?  Yes, a little.  I now price to allow for it though.

rich fraser

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:34 pm »
just an observation, but could we make a claim against a council for the traffic monitoring boxes that has two cables they put across the road with one end connected to a box that is chained to a lamp post. These are surely more dangerous than a yellow 8mm hose, bareing in mind they are black

StanA

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »
just an observation, but could we make a claim against a council for the traffic monitoring boxes that has two cables they put across the road with one end connected to a box that is chained to a lamp post. These are surely more dangerous than a yellow 8mm hose, bareing in mind they are black

I reckon some of those speed humps and pot holes are more dangerous than anyhing I do .  Try suing a council though.  Even if you win they don't usually get to pay for your costs. 

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:23 pm »
Daz

You have to use the safest system

You would have to move the van to each house or i think you would get away with two houses at a time

The longer the hose the more risk there is
risk assesment would be deemed high

Every body will do what they think is best

Franky

Backpack on a fishing trolley problem solved

I am not preaching H/S but just explaining the problems

The law does not differ if in a cul de sac or main road

Do not shoot the messanger

Bryan
Bryan question for you:

You do 14 houses in one road, you can do all without moving van, or you can move your van to each

first option takes you a day to do, the second takes you three days to do, you cant ask customers for more money.

What would you honestly do ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »
this is one of the reasons im gettin a 50lt trolley system!lessen the trip hazard and im not tyed to my van on very compact 3 bedders! ;)

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
bryan is just the mesenger. all other things across the road, ie traffic control will have permission from the highways agency.
fireem will do it but no jobsworth is going to see a house burn down because of regulations.
with the cul de sac question, yeah we are all going to do it. i had 10 new cleans today parked the car and went across the road to do half of them.
but ignorance os no defence of the law. take precautions where needed if its a busy road you cant sensibly do it. if your going across the paths then put trip signs out, cover your selves