This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Boiling over.
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:16:57 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone here has managed to do a full satisfactory days work in this heat? ???

I struggled to make two thirds of my target amount yesterday, but pretty much achieved it today.
However, after midday my legs just didn't want to go up ladders any more.

Is it just as tiring using wfp?

I'm just going to cabbage with a beer or two tonight. :)

Roger.

rosskesava

Re: Boiling over.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 08:24:59 pm »
I'm also sitting here in a vegative state with a can or 2 thinking that I must really get on and sort out tomorrows work. I've been thinking that since 7pm.

We got through yesterday and today somehow.

Today I drank 3 litres of water and only went to the loo once.

In this rotten country the weather is hardly ever what I want it to be.

Cheers

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 08:32:34 pm »
In this rotten country the weather is hardly ever what I want it to be.

Yeah, we'll moan again when it rains!

Still, if I lived where you do in this weather Ross, I'd keep driving past the beach. :P

The Bear

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:54:38 pm »
Come on guy's, get a grip.

We did 2 full normal days, normal hours, normal money.

Your probably carrying to much weight with all that beer. :-*

dustycorner

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:56:34 pm »
Hi all,

done 7 & half hours today, on site at 6.30 finished by 2pm, admittedly early start due to having a factory 1st thing followed by a single storey nursery.

Cheers Mark.

Justin H

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:14:39 pm »
What's the problem!? :o
Roasting all day.I worked from 8am on site til 5pm.I only have 10 -15 mins for me tuck then crack on again.
I love working in this weather!
Whack on loads of factor 30,drink loads & earn some lovely dosh in the beautiful heat.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:31:22 pm »
I love working in the heat also.  FOrget about being still in it though.

Hey Roger...

I think that if you are getting whipped just when it is hot outside, you might have to change what you eat and drink through the day.  Keep eating small meals all day long, drink plenty of water.

It has been in the mid to upper 90's for the passed 4 weeks now over here.  I am working 6-9 hours/day.  No problems unless I go too long without food or water, then I'm shot.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 11:09:57 pm »
You've probably got a point there Marc.

I eat before I start at 9, then not until lunch about 1.30.
I'm pretty starving by then, so that's not good.

I think my flask of coffee's not good either, as I know that de-hydrates you more.

I'll try your plan tomorrow, and I'll report back :)

Cheers.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 11:25:45 pm »
No, your ok eating every 4 hours.  drink plenty of water though.  Thats the secret, watch them snooker players, and them tennis players.  They eat bananas..slowly.
Bananas contain phostrogen in a natural form.  Great for the right energy release we need, working in the heat.  You ever seen a fat, sluggish Gorilla?
Pj

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:28:25 pm »
  You ever seen a fat, sluggish Gorilla?

Yeah, all of them! ;D I think you mean monkeys and chimps really.

I take your point though about the water.

Roger.

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:29:12 pm »
Hi Thecleanerservice

You ever seen a fat, sluggish Gorilla?

Yup. Loads of time. I live next door to one.

I take your point though.

The water I already drink by the pint but tomorrow I'll buy some bananas and give that a try.

Cheers

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 08:01:25 am »
Someone gave a tip here a few weeks ago.  It was to spray your T-Shirt with water from a sprayer.

It really works, or at least it takes the edge from the heat.  I'm also getting extremely tanned; even wearing factor thirty.  That's not good; skin cancer time. 

I've also been bitten twice by a horsefly (I think).  I'm all purple and swollen around the bite area and it's pretty uncomfortable; particularly when I'm sweating and the sun is burning the sore/itchy areas.  Poor me.

Our work is 95% residential so I can't start too early, but we've done all we've planned to do, but it's been a struggle - for me anyway.

Anyway, after another swealtering day 'on the windows', Wor Lass finished work yesturday, then went for a several mile run - part of which must be about a mile solid up-hill.  Then she went to running club to assist with organising a race. 

Being fit helps you acclimatise quicker; unfortunately I'm not!

gaza

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 11:27:04 am »
loverly jubberly weather ,Im doing an impression of a lobster ;D

go tanned two three days later

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:41:14 pm »
No, your ok eating every 4 hours. drink plenty of water though. Thats the secret, watch them snooker players, and them tennis players. They eat bananas..slowly.
Bananas contain phostrogen in a natural form. Great for the right energy release we need, working in the heat. You ever seen a fat, sluggish Gorilla?
Pj

That's a good idea.  However, when you guys get sick of bananas, you can go to a regular, healthy diet.  A balanced variety gives you the energy and nutrition you need.

Point is, when it is very hot, you can keep everything working at peak by nibbling through the day.  4 hours might be too long for some people to go without food while working in the sun.  The result can be fatigue while working or when coming home at 4 PM.  Nobody wants that.

I agree that water is the most important thing though

The Bear

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 05:35:44 pm »
Tosh, If you have been bitten by a horse fly you will need antibiotics.

One of the blighters gets me every year, I now take an anti-histamine immediatly after, it dose the trick.

I dont think a wet t-shirt gives a professional appearence though!!!

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 06:03:56 pm »
I took an antihystamine tablet; it did help.  The bites are less angry now, but it still looks like I've a bruise on each leg. 

I've been bitten loads of times by horse flies before.  In Germany we lived on the edge of a forest and the blighters were everywhere.  Once I went to see the Medical Officer, and she said just to keep an eye on the area.  It wouldn't be a problem unless 'it tracked up a vein' (I take it she meant that if a dark vein appeared; then something 'bad' might happen). 

s.hughes

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 06:14:19 pm »
I dont complain about the heat because it is nice to have. Now it may only be me but over the last couple of hot summers I dont get people making smirky suggestions about how nice it must be to have my job. I think people now realise that it is infact very hard to work in this weather.
I prefer the colder weather and have seen w/c calling it a day when I am happy to carry on.
We are all different

Steveyboy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 07:04:51 pm »
I agree Stevey.

Most people today were saying "how do you cope in this?"
My reply was generally "I don't really!"

Still, it's getting easier after a few days of it.
I remember two years ago when it was 35c+ that no w/c I knew were out much past midday. :o

Roger.

petetaylor56

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 08:43:21 pm »
 :)only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the miday sun so the song says :P
today i be mostly wfp

dustycorner

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 02:46:27 pm »
Hi all,

Try to avoid eating stodgy foods for lunch i.e. potaoes, pies etc, i sometimes will eat a pound of grapes at lunchtime good for energy levels and no i don't poo through the eye of a needle either lol.

Cheers Mark.