This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Pointer or not?
« on: July 09, 2005, 02:01:41 pm »
Hi guys, i use a 20ft double alloy ladder from B&Q at present but i am seriously thinking of buying a double Pointer from windowclean centre in near future wanted your opinions,before using my cash as not got alot at moment.
 i am hoping it will make work life easier quicker but will pointer be any safer than normal ladder or less? i.e
1. can you get any safety devices for pointer's, stoppers standoffs?
2. run's on poiner look  more like rods than rungs are these uncomfortable?

what say ypu lot?
thanks alot Lee dewing
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

steve k

Re: Pointer or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 03:42:57 pm »
move on ASAP from B+Q ladders...too lightweight and will invalidate any insurance claim you may have to make as they are for domestic use.
Never used a double pointer but have a single which is invaluable.
All pointers make access to the pane of glass much safer and easier.
Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:18:04 pm »
I use 4.55m double pointers and they do for everything - bit on the long side for domestic work especially but the difference between sitting the point into a corner and resting regular ladder tops against walls, is massive
I would go for 3.5 m and keep a set of proper quality ladders for other work like gutter work

You can use stoppers - I use Rojak - you need to get the wide one as the pointers have very wide feet

the rungs are no problem at all and I have size 11 boots on

you cannot really use a stand off, which is why you will need to get some regular ladders if you are doing gutter work for example

I bought a stand off and it fits on about six rungs down which is no good when you are trying to run it up the wall

hope this helps

clog_cleaner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:20:32 pm »
i use a 3 part pointer from dirks, every day. i suppose it depends on what kind of work you have but i couldn't (wouldn't want) to be without. it fits in the back of a car and you can wash also bedroom windows etc. i didnt say this but turn him upside down and you can work above stairs! German wc's are only allowed to use pointers! i see them everyday with 8 meters of pointer on the roof!

gaza

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:47:01 pm »
LEE : WARNING            THOUGH A GOOD BARGAIN PRICE FOR LADDERS,HOW ABOUT DYING FOR A BARGAIN. Iwouldnt use b/q ladders again they nearly killed me fell 16 ft head first into a yorkshire stone wall,LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO TYPE THIS WARNING lone clean windows again [ MIND YOU I LANDED ON MY HEAD]SO NOT MUCH DAMAGE THERE ;D
 LEE YOU NEED CLASS 1 OR CLASS 2 LADDERS.

THESE DIY LADDERS ARE LIGHTER BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT UP TO REGULAR USAGE
 GAZA

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 07:09:32 pm »
i use a 20ft double alloy ladder from B&Q
what say ypu lot?

I agree with Gaza.  B&Q ladders are designed for very limited use.

Your ladders should be to the British Safety standard of EN 131 (the ladders should have BS EN 131 stuck on the sides) and will have 'yellow feet'.  What Gaza says about 'class 1 or 2' ladders is a little out-dated now, but true none-the-less. 

I've fallen from a set of B & Q ladders - luckily enough I just received bumps, bruises and scrapes.

BS EN 131 ladders are heavier; which may take a little getting used to; but you'll feel far safer.

I'd say get a set of these straight away and consider a double pointer after.

gaza

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 08:30:14 pm »
cheaper windows:I didnt fall because of something Iwas doing was my fault the ladders collapsed. like im going to do tonight first time Ive been out since the last time Iwent out.
  gaza

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 09:08:05 am »
steer clear of b&q ladders far too unsafe, before i went wfp i used a good quality double pointer and had no problem with it
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Mike_G

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 09:25:41 am »
Pointer ladders are fine, but if you will need a slightly bigger one than your b&Q ladder ( LESS ROOM AT TOP BECAUSE OF THE POINT)to do the same jobs if fully extended, and if you are not going to put it into corners of window they can be a tad wobbly(the higher you go the wobblier they get). As for being quicker I doubt it remember if you do put it into the corner you may not be able to reach the other side of the window where as with a double open you can put it right in the middle.

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 12:17:50 pm »
Don't use a DIY ladder.
I know of a guy who had a set and was painting the side of his house and the ladders he was using snapped.
I did not see it happen but seen the ladder after.
Pointers are probably the best ladders to use (in my opinion)if you are going to use ladders as you can also put them on the frames between the glass not just on or in the corner.
But it is advisable to put some non slip articulated feet on them.

Paul