This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jon T.C.

Constuction Deaths
« on: July 09, 2005, 10:30:16 am »
This article is taken from the SAEcontractor newsletter.

In the last TWO months 11 workers have died in the construction industry, as a result of a workplace accident, UCATT has reported. The figures taken from HSE records, show an increase on the same period last year.

The union says of the 11 fatalities, 5 were as a result of falls from height, 5 involved contact with moving machinery and 1 person died after being electrocuted. 

A further article by the TUC says, that around 850,000 people a year suffer a work related disease or accident, yet no more than 80,000 receive compensation. The average paymentbeing £10,000 , though after legal fees etc..they receive roughly half of this. 

Regards Jon

« Last Edit: Today at 10:23am by Jon Jones »  IP Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Town & Country Window Cleaning 
Elite Cleaning Solutions

Re: Constuction Deaths
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 07:00:09 pm »
Hi Jon,

Interesting, but what's the point of it?

Is it the 'falls from height'?  It doesn't have to mean falls from ladders; that could be dodgy scaffolding.  Recently I saw a roofer impersonating Spider Man.  My hands dried up, watching him working on a roof without any form of safety gear.

Or is it workers in the construction industry are mere cattle, because of the lack of compensation paid; to accidents that have happend?

Jon T.C.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 01:25:12 pm »
" What's the point of it"

What a twat comment - no wonder this forum is deteriorating into a pointless pile of poope

I take it , that this will be deleted by you  ::)
Elite Cleaning Solutions

baldeagle

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 06:33:09 pm »
May I say that I, for one, do not think that this forum is deteriorating.

Furthermore, I also failed to see what you were alluding to in your post.

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 08:24:28 pm »
I think the point seemed to be that 5 had died as a result from a fall at height.

That's how I read it anyway.

I don't think this forum is deteriorating either. I think it lost some sense of cohesion when pm's stopped though.

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 03:44:26 pm »
" What's the point of it"

What a thingy comment - no wonder this forum is deteriorating into a pointless pile of nutse

I take it , that this will be deleted by you  ::)

Hi Jon T.C.,

I meant nothing offensive in my 'thingy' comment; I just wanted to know what your point was.  To start with your post referred to the 'construction industy'.  I think window cleaners would come under the heading of a 'service industry'.  We clean; not construct.

Then the second part of your post refers to work related accidents and illnesses.  That could range from soldiers to typists.

Jon,

It would've helped if you commented and clarified what you meant.

I say again, what's the point of it?

Jon T.C.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 11:36:11 pm »
I think the point seemed to be that 5 had died as a result from a fall at height.

Well done Ross. Now explain it to W/ Chep.
Elite Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:48:00 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Jon TC.  Sorry, mate, but you've got to spell it out to me.  I'm a Geordie you know!  But I don't live to far from you - Sunny Chepstow (and it was sunny today).

So, out of these five CONSTRUCTION WORKERS how many of them died as a result of cleaning windows?  Or, did they fall from scaffolding or roofs or cranes or what?

Would a Rojak Ladder stopper have prevented their deaths?  WFP maybe?

I still don't know what your point is.

martin19842

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 12:04:02 pm »
hi there,

ive been on sites since last august, they are extremely dangerous places, everybody is reponsible for health and safety, and employers have a duty to supply the correct ppe.  if the indivudual flounts the regulation to wear or use the ppe provided for the job then only one person is ultimately responsible THE INDIVIDUAL.

h and s is the blight of many sites, scaffolders all where the ppe harnesses that they have to wear, but i dont see them all hooked up, so if they fall then they are potentially dead.

roofers still run along the ridgelines,

construction will always remain an industry of high accident numbers purely because of what it is, the industry will never be completely safe, cause workers will just move to another industry.

regards

martin

Jon T.C.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 03:05:59 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Jon TC.  Sorry, mate, but you've got to spell it out to me.  I'm a Geordie you know!  But I don't live to far from you - Sunny Chepstow (and it was sunny today).

So, out of these five CONSTRUCTION WORKERS how many of them died as a result of cleaning windows?  Or, did they fall from scaffolding or roofs or cranes or what?

Would a Rojak Ladder stopper have prevented their deaths?  WFP maybe?

I still don't know what your point is.

The general point being that 5 is still too many, regardless of what you were doing working at height, I think these statistics are relevent to us all.Unless your working practices are so air tight, that you delude yourself with the " It always happens to someone else attitude".

I hope this has finally cleared this matter up. ;)

BTW , being a Geordie is no excuse.

Does your wife find you this much hard work :)

Also Tosh, having read through my original post again, perhaps it wasn't very clear. My apologies, I shall try to construct (service) better posts in future.

Regards Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 05:02:27 pm »

Thanks, it has - I wasn't being sarcastic; it's just my Geordie bluntness.

It is.  I use it all the time.  'Sorry, I'm a Geordie'.  Note to other Geordies, it only works when you're not in Geordie-land.

I think she's starting to hate me!

But back to your original theme.  Don't you think there's a difference between being self-employed and taking risks for yourself; and being employed and taking risks for your employer?

Personally, I think, if you're self-employed and wish to risk yourself; that's up to you, as long as you don't harm anyone else in the process.  I may think you're not the brightest chap in the world; but so what?

However, employers who cut corners to increase their own profit at the expence of their employee's safety is just plain outragous.

Jon T.C.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 07:39:34 pm »

Thanks, it has - I wasn't being sarcastic; it's just my Geordie bluntness.

It is.  I use it all the time.  'Sorry, I'm a Geordie'.  Note to other Geordies, it only works when you're not in Geordie-land.

I think she's starting to hate me!

But back to your original theme.  Don't you think there's a difference between being self-employed and taking risks for yourself; and being employed and taking risks for your employer?

Personally, I think, if you're self-employed and wish to risk yourself; that's up to you, as long as you don't harm anyone else in the process.  I may think you're not the brightest chap in the world; but so what?

However, employers who cut corners to increase their own profit at the expence of their employee's safety is just plain outragous.

And your point being!!!!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Only joking!!!!!!!
Elite Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 07:54:43 pm »
Jon TC,

I quite like you!

Jon T.C.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 09:25:44 pm »
 :-[ ;D