This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

g_griffin

Ladder stand-off
« on: July 06, 2005, 09:43:19 pm »
Just seen one of these mentioned on another thread and it got me thinking  :o.
    I know what they`re used for but do you need to keep adjusting them for different windows and if so isn`t this a pain?
   I use a double pointer for awkward windows but prefer my open tops (they are wide,so v.comfortable), which I could use all the time if a stand-off is practical enough.
        Any thoughts?

Gerry.

Re: Ladder stand-off
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:16:26 pm »
no you dont have to keep adjusting for different windows. i have mine three runs down and for different window heights you just adjust ladder up or down leave the standoff on same run

g_griffin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:21:36 pm »
Thanks Easyclean.

Gerry.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:27:46 pm »
glad to help i got mine from b&q 30 squid excellent very stable and good for all windows gutters etc

Ray Pickering

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 10:48:33 pm »
Got mine from Wickes (Nottingham) £22-00.

Perfect for guttering jobs!!!
Ray.

baldeagle

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 10:58:18 pm »
I've two, one is the Wickes job, [very light, and nearly always on the ladder], lets me "rise up" on some bl**dy great sash windows that are nearly six feet high!

The other is a "LadderMax", a bit heavier, but "deeper" than the Wickes and useful for getting over those bays that have a pitched roof.

Baldeagle
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 12:22:44 am »
A lot of the residential jobs I do has uneven and sloping ground.  Has anyone here tried a self-leveling attachment?  Like them?  Hate them?

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 08:05:12 am »
From what I know the stand offs that wickes and b&q sell are not h&s approved. They are as safe but when doing comercial work you may have to list the h&s number on your risk assesment. The approved ones come with rubber wheels and firmly hold the ladder in place when it is windy. I do a hotel and had to get one of these for just 3 windows, it was that or loose the job. It cost me £80 and its the only job I use it on.

Steveyboy

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 05:36:01 pm »
dont use ladders on commercial buildings mines all done with wfp

s.hughes

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 10:00:24 pm »
dont use ladders on commercial buildings mines all done with wfp
I have a hotel with the old style sash windows. I cant use wfp on this one.

Steveyboy

steve k

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 04:23:53 am »
I clean sash windows with wfp...top sashes first then back to first one and do all the bottom sashes...the single glazing comes up great...always sheets.
No problems so far...unless windows have been left open in which case I`m up the ladder to close them and then WFP...the less time on the ladder, the better.

s.hughes

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 12:04:07 pm »
I clean sash windows with wfp...top sashes first then back to first one and do all the bottom sashes...the single glazing comes up great...always sheets.
No problems so far...unless windows have been left open in which case I`m up the ladder to close them and then WFP...the less time on the ladder, the better.
From what I know and have taken advice from this forum. On old sash (dont know about new) with the pressure the water tends to get inside through the sides.You have to remember that old sash do tend to have a lot of gaps in them you can also easily move them about even when locked.
One of my customers who has the old sash windows also has bright white carpets in the bedrooms. Could you imagine if any water got on the carpet. I think I would have to leg it.

Steveyboy

steve k

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 04:05:25 pm »
yes...old, poorly maintained ones are probably a bit suspect but I try and take on jobs that are not going to be a headache. The sashes I do are all in well maintained condition-older with single glazing- I can control the brush head pretty well now keeping the water on the glass and have never got water on the inside to my knowledge. They sheet perfectly and come up great.
I do clean a ground floor flat with poor puttying/paintwork at top of glazing panel and these cause runs so this one gets done trad.

clog_cleaner

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 06:37:30 pm »
dirks stand off are top. you are only supposed to use them on the third run for safety.                                                                                                                                                                       
no you dont have to keep adjusting for different windows. i have mine three runs down and for different window heights you just adjust ladder up or down leave the standoff on same run