This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

♠Winp®oClean♠

Algae-AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »
Dam stuff

I've now had to clean my strainer out 4 times in 4 weeks. Totaly blocked with algae every time. I emptied tank after first time & rinsed it out best I could. It always happens to me in winter but never had it as bad as this before!!!

My theory is that it growes in summer and sticks to the internal surfaces of the tank, then this prolonged sub-zero weather kills it off so it comes unstuck & floats about in the water.

Could do with a pre-filter for the strainer that connects between 1/2" hose.

Martin-Swinscoe

Re: Algae-AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:18:56 pm »
i had the very same problem earlier in the year. someone off here recommened throwing an old Tarpaulin over it so you completly block sunlight out.
i tried this and it certainly works. ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »
My holding tank is covered with polystyrene foam and black gaffer tape. My van tank is insulated behind plywood and polystyrene foam. I get no algae as it is too dark.
It's a game of three halves!

jouk45

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »
just put a few drops of milton in, wont affect the tds, clears  in no time http://www.auravita.com/product/Milton-Sterilising-Fluid.PRGA10660.html?RefId=220&adid=PRGA10660

darragh windows

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:39:25 pm »
mine is the same at the minute was going to fill the tank with bleach then get my hand in with a brush and help it on its way then just give it a good flush anyone tried this
jamie

matt

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »
Dam stuff

I've now had to clean my strainer out 4 times in 4 weeks. Totaly blocked with algae every time. I emptied tank after first time & rinsed it out best I could. It always happens to me in winter but never had it as bad as this before!!!

My theory is that it growes in summer and sticks to the internal surfaces of the tank, then this prolonged sub-zero weather kills it off so it comes unstuck & floats about in the water.

you have your answer, just fit a quick realese strainer on your hose, it then takes 10 seconds to empty it

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »
Dam stuff

you have your answer, just fit a quick realese strainer on your hose, it then takes 10 seconds to empty it

Yep, between tank & pump, 1/2" hose. where can I get one matt?

matt

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:06 pm »
Dam stuff

http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=58_79&products_id=565

and something like this

http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=939

but phone them to find out if its the right size, i think it is, 1/2" thread and 1/2" tail

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:41 pm »
Dam stuff

http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=58_79&products_id=565

and something like this

http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=939

but phone them to find out if its the right size, i think it is, 1/2" thread and 1/2" tail

Thanks for that matt. getting fed up of opening my pump box. ;)

dd

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 05:52:29 pm »
I can never understand why the vast majority of tanks sold for wfp are clear. Much better to be made from coloured plastic with a sight gauge.

Prevention is better than cure.