This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

WHO IS IN A PARTNERSHIP / Partnership advice.
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »
Hi,

i have a friend due to be made redundant, and he wants to come into partnership with me. its at discussion stage only.

The plan woud be for both of us to canvass excessively from now, ... (we both have canvassing/sales experience)
build a round for both of us, ...i clean as we go along, and he helps saturday , we then split it two ways until he finishes his present job.... as he woud have got half the customers.

then he buys a van, and equipment.... then buys into my existing round.

How does this sound?

Does anyone else work as a partnership?

AuRavelling79

Re: Partnership advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:37 pm »
I wouldn't.
It's a game of three halves!

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »
most friend partnerships fail or yr friendship
fails i wouidnt
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

james44

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »
Gazzasp8

can you guarantee it will be dry every saturday!

You will then have to fit this day into your working week with no help!

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:01:29 pm »
the problem is you have 2 business minds and you are goin to get friction between you like where shall we clean toay and i have got those customers and i will go it alone but if you get on you should get a partnership agreement which is  a legal letter stating if it goes bad then the other party cannnot target your custies an so on

paul rulton

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »
nothing ventured nothing gained, 2talk it over ie: the pros n cons like adults :P
& it will b fine. as long as ur on the same level m8 its all good, if not walk away.
im just about 2do the same, worked 2gether quite a few times now.... rite laugh ;D
but we know we want the same things. good luck m8. i wish u both all the best

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:16:51 pm »
Hi

I'm Jenny - the other half of A & J Owen. I used to do HR/legal type stuff - prior to doing this!

You need to make it totally legal and above board with a Partnership agreement. You might be able to get some templates off the internet to avoid solicitors costs. You would also need to record which clients you'd got and which clients he'd got so there could be no dispute later as to who 'owned' which clients.

Just make sure you're both equally committed to it also

darragh windows

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »
Hi,

i have a friend due to be made redundant, and he wants to come into partnership with me. its at discussion stage only.

The plan woud be for both of us to canvass excessively from now, ... (we both have canvassing/sales experience)
build a round for both of us, ...i clean as we go along, and he helps saturday , we then split it two ways until he finishes his present job.... as he woud have got half the customers.

How does this sound?

sound strange to me at the minute you have a full round i persume , you are now going canvass with a friend until
you have another full round therefore if added togather you would own 3/4 of the round he would own a 1/4 so if he buys the other quater to split it in half you are back were you are now with a few quid in your pocket
jamie

jonnyald

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:03 pm »
your the one with the know how and at the moment he has no idea.  if i was you id  get your mate to give you the cash injection at the beginning,not  at the end. that way even if it doesnt pan out and he decides to goes it alone, you havnt wasted your energy for nowt .

<a friend of mine ran a small yet profitable sandblasting biz for many years and then a fella wanted in  and they got a proper legal agreement but then the new guy found he couldnt hack sandblasting and wouldnt pay his instalments and in the end it all folded and my friend ended up packing bread in a factory / if only my mate had got the money up front

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »
Growth is a problem, you'll hit the vat threshold in no time and this will be a 10% brake on earnings.

Admin on a large round is quite heavy.No money is earned for this.

You must already know the work i horrible. If you have the excuse will you slope off from tool work in favour of swanning around being a boss?

I have a helper but if i stop so does he.Even if i want to sort the list out while he does one house resentment creeps in.I have to work twice as hard as him to earn only half as much again as i could on my own.

You go on holiday for two weeks will you have a business to come back to?

geefree

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:31:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far,

most seem to be negative, but very helpful,..

just wanting your valued opinions on this, please keep them coming.

At the moment i dont think there is anyone on here who work this way.

apart from man and wife teams.,

he is also my brother in law as well as a friend.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »
Hi,

How does this sound?

sound strange to me at the minute you have a full round i persume , you are now going canvass with a friend until
you have another full round therefore if added togather you would own 3/4 of the round he would own a 1/4 so if he buys the other quater to split it in half you are back were you are now with a few quid in your pocket

The round will be vast, and i will end up with more than a few quid,... plus the fact that it will be much easier to build and move forward with two hard working blokes, and we would push each other. ??

its my way of looking on the positive side, i may be kidding myself, thanks for the reply.

james44

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »
he is also my brother in law as well as a friend

Don`t  mean a thing gazzasp8 i worked with my brother inlaw i he wanted to change things around he was constantly saying would it not be better if we did this and that in the end we could not work together but nothing to stop you trying to see how it works for you!

Ryan @ Transparent, Carlisle

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »
Perhaps start out by employing him.

Then you will see how well you work together. And weather or not it would be a wise decision to "partner up"

geefree

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »
your the one with the know how and at the moment he has no idea.  if i was you id  get your mate to give you the cash injection at the beginning,not  at the end. that way even if it doesnt pan out and he decides to goes it alone, you havnt wasted your energy for nowt .

The trouble with him giving me the money up front, is i would have to give him half of my existing earnings immediately... and i cannot afford to stand that....and his money would not be in the pot anyway, at this stage...... it only comes into play, when the new round is complete.....and i have to merge it all together.

geefree

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 08:56:12 pm »
can anyone see any positives,?

~growth,

~ makes you work harder earn more (incentive)

~ company.

trevor povey

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:58:07 pm »
Old saying in business...NEVER WORK WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY....it will all end in tears :'( :'( :'(

ronaldo

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
Ive been working with my best pal for years now, he has his own round and i have mine, we do a day about, one day on his round then one day on mine.
At the end of the week we add up the total and lets say if ive done a hundred quid more on my work i give him £50 or vice versa, he still collects all his own round and i still collect mine.
On some streets we both have houses in there but still only do the ones that are each others run, we never mix the rounds up just incase of any argueing as we can just go our seperate ways.
We have worked like this for years and we wouldnt change it always happy in our work so i must be lucky to have such a good pal.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:51 pm »
You will grow, and have holiday cover.

The other downside is he will know all your biz and any fiddles, so if you do fall out you better be clean as a whistle.

Growth is hard work, but there are better ways than you suggest, such as money on branding and advertising.

darragh windows

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »
can anyone see any positives,?

~growth,

~ makes you work harder earn more (incentive)

~ company.

i started a few years back working for my dad , after he passed away i was left with the round and one of my brothers gave me a hand part time where i was employing him . it was a lot of pressure and worry trying to please such a large customer base near enough single handedly eventually he stepped aside and let one of my other brothers come in and work with me full time , i made him an equal partner he was my brother after all.  i have no regrets we both get on well together and also keep each other wright its nice to know if im sick or go on holiday he there to keep things ticking over. i was making more money employing the other bro part time and would be making more now if i was solo especially now im wfp but im happy and enjoy my work so really thats all that matters also if i was ever diagnosed with any long term illness i would have the choice of employing someone with my brother there to watch over him still bringing me in a wage so like i said earlier no regrets
jamie