This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Hi all,

Have you noticed an increase of junk e-mail in the form of people offering you millions of US Dollars if you help them out?

Have you made your e-mail address public here?

I think I've found out why; someone has been through the members list here and posted many of our e-mail addresses into a couple of internet 'guest books'.  It's these guest books that attract the 'scammers' who bulk e-mail their scam letters.

I've been winding a few 'scammers' up; so just to check my own personal security was okay I googled for my own e-mail address to see what came up.  It's here I found I was in two guest books!

Have a look here at one of the guest books.  I recognise Gaza's, Rosskesava and Graham Goul's, Mike Boxhall, ir jones, matts and many more e-mail addresses there too!

http://www.stringquartets.org/string_quartets_guest_book.shtml

My advice is either delete any scammer's letters or wind them up, for your own amusement, to waste their time; thereby protecting innocent/guilible types.

But how did our e-mails get onto this 'string-quartet' guest book?  A prank by a member?

Ian_Giles

Re: There's been something strange happening with out e-mail address!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:27:55 pm »
Interesting find Tosh, so far I've received no such junk, though I tend to delete the crud the moment it comes through, can usually tell by the title alone it's spam.

Wonder if it's someone with a malicious axe to grind?

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 03:47:04 pm »
Really strange as my e mail address is hidden but ..........it does explain the tons of junk and spam saying I've either won millions on an international lottery or those e mails saying about someone who died who lived in Nigeria who has billions waiting to be claimed in a bank account etc etc.

Last week I got over 40 of them.

Cheers

Ross

Roy Harding

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 05:14:09 pm »
Use disposable email address, I do, use them till you get a spam then delete and make up another. ;)

Roy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 06:11:10 pm »
Roy,

Don't delete the spam.  Play with the 'spammers'.  Waste their time.  It's a bit like getting revenge.

I've been doing my best to get one lad to confirm his identity by sending me a picture of him with the password-phrase 'CLEAN IT UP' which I wanted for my avatar here.

The same mob are expecting me to fly to Amsterdam tomorrow (I forged my flight documents and sent them a copy) with Euro 47,000 to pay for 'demurrage' (what-ever that is) for a locked up box that has 9 million US dollars inside which were found by a US Major in Iraqi.

They won't send a photo, but I'll know the guy waiting for me at the airport  because he'll be holding a plaque at arrivals saying 'CLEAN IT UP'.  When I'm not there, I'll tell them I was involved in a car accident, missed my plane and really string them along.

They're phoning me later this evening (on my anonymous sim card).  They're Nigerian with strong accents.  I'll put on my strongest Geordie accent and really mess them about.

Not only am I doing a public service by wasting thier time and money; preventing them from 'scamming' innocents; I'm having a laugh at their expense as well.

Just make sure you're carefull.  Aparantly 15 people were murdered last year and numerous kidnapped and ransomed by these 'scammers'.

matt

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 06:47:29 pm »
good work tosh :)

the answer to why out e.mails are on the site is

they pay "lads" to collect e.mails, then the lads post it on sites like that so others can have a crack at sending the 419 stuff

ive been a little busy recently and had to burn the few i had, but i might take a few on again

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 06:50:24 pm »
You make me laugh Tosh!

You've really done that?!!

Great idea to upset the Toshpots... sorry Tosspots! ;)

Roger.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 07:36:46 pm »
It is funny, see the latest e-mail I've had from a 'US Army Major' allegedly serving in Iraq:

DEAR MR. KENNETH TOSHIBA,

I GOT YOUR MAIL AND I PROMISE YOU THAT I AM GOING TO STAY SAFE BECAUSE I HAVE CONFIDENCE AND TRUST IN YOU.  BUT BEFORE YOU DEPART, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER CONTACTED ON PHONE AND EMAIL SO THAT THEY WILL BE AT THE AIRPORT TO WELCOME YOU. WITHOUT COMMUNICATING WITH THEM THEY MAY NOT BE AT THE AIRPORT.  REACH PRINCE MACK JONES IMMEDIATELY.

I AM ALWAYS ON FOR YOU TODAY AND TOMMORROW.  THOUGH I HAVE A WORKLOAD BUT THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME AN YOU.

SAFE JOURNEY AND MAY GOD BE WITH YOU.

YOURS,

MAJOR DAVE WILSON

Of course I'm not going to phone them.  I told them I tried and the number didn't work and left my anonymous sim number.

I've already had one phone call from Nigeria - which was quite funny.

Wor Lass thinks I'm a proper Geek, but admits it takes the heat from me trying to wind her up.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 08:02:59 pm »
 ;)yes I have had such emails,some saying I got loads of dosh etc,and all I got to do is blah blah ::)and I am the sultans son of Arabia with ,what planet are the on!
this happens quite alot ??? maybe one day I might check it out :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

matt

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 08:08:50 pm »
Tosh

the ultimate is to say you have lost your credit card and cannot  get a new 1 in time, could they paypal you 100 Dollars to help with your flight costs

or get them to book you a expensive room in a nice hotel in whatever city they are opertaing from, normal laos

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 08:29:00 pm »
or get them to book you a expensive room in a nice hotel in whatever city they are opertaing from, normal laos

I've tried this one, and the photo one with the above Major's administration officer in Amsterdam.

They 'ignored' my detailed requests, but still believe I'm genuine, so I'm going to hopefully, be just content with making one of the scammers make a wasted trip to Amsterdam at 9.00 am tomorrow morning, to meet me.

I would've booked a 3.00 am flight; but there were none available! ;D

Matt, I'm new at this 'scambaiting' lark; but I think I'm doing okay for a new guy!

matt

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 09:56:50 pm »

Matt, I'm new at this 'scambaiting' lark; but I think I'm doing okay for a new guy!

indeed you are young Padawa ;D

its a cracking hobby, Ive been trying to locate a link to the fax number for international fax's for you, its on 1 of my several hundred bookmarks

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 04:17:42 pm »
I got 32 spam e mails between Friday evening and just now.

I've won the same international lottery 7 times.

No more window cleaning for me as I've a total winnings of £114 000 000.

And the same African gentleman keeps e mailing me so he must be genuine and need my help........................

baldeagle

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 05:01:12 pm »
You might care to look at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/27/419ers_wang_qin_email/

I had Emails from the appropriately named wan qin!

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

williamx

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 06:46:31 pm »
On not on the list.

Just my luck I can't even win a make belive lottery ;D

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 03:42:44 pm »
Here's my first trophy picture of one of these 419 scammers (the guys who send the dodgy e-mails out).  It looks a little bit too polished for me; so I'm not sure if the 'scammer' has photo-shopped a picture.

I'm seeking advice about it on another site.  If it's been photo-shopped I'm refusing to pay him the £900.00 I said I would, till I get a real photo.

Then I'm going to get him back and forth from his bank after telling him I've sent the money.  Then I'll get his address and send him Monopoly money, wrapped up in 3 inch deep duct tape.

Anyway, here's the picture:  I told him my company moto was 'Clean it Up' from my 'Bellends Ice-Cream Factory - 'Bellends are good to lick' is going to be the next photo I get!

Anway, hope you like the photo:

baldeagle

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:50 pm »
Hey-oop! Windows Chepstow, must have been snapped early, he's still got his pyjamas on!
Baldeagle
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

matt

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 05:28:07 pm »
Here's my first trophy picture of one of these 419 scammers (the guys who send the dodgy e-mails out).  It looks a little bit too polished for me; so I'm not sure if the 'scammer' has photo-shopped a picture.

I'm seeking advice about it on another site.  If it's been photo-shopped I'm refusing to pay him the £900.00 I said I would, till I get a real photo.

Then I'm going to get him back and forth from his bank after telling him I've sent the money.  Then I'll get his address and send him Monopoly money, wrapped up in 3 inch deep duct tape.

Anyway, here's the picture:  I told him my company moto was 'Clean it Up' from my 'Bellends Ice-Cream Factory - 'Bellends are good to lick' is going to be the next photo I get!

Anway, hope you like the photo:

very good my man

looks VERY good, but if he thinks he is in for a windfall of money, he could well have gone and made that sign

top stuff

think i will deffo have to get back into it