This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

jobs you dont want, but feel you have to quote for
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:57:47 pm »
jobs you dont want, but feel you have to quote for

i was asked to give a quote for a house thats about 10 mins from my normal area, now 10 mins isnt loads, BUT i dont need the work, and its still 10 mins in the car for 1 house

to this morning i drive and price it up, give them a silly price (1.50 a window and its a BIG house)

what happens

yes, your right, they say "oh thats fine, when can you do it"

so looks like a stuck with it now  ::)

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: jobs you dont want, but feel you have to quote for
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:01:34 pm »
my way around this one is to way over price it
that way if they say yes you're on a winner and if they say no you ain't lost nothing
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 12:03:16 am »
Yup I agree to.

Over price it.

What I say in situations like that is more or less the truth.

I say sorry but it's out of our way and what you are paying for is the time on account of that and you won't be paying just for the windows, but the traveling time too.

I find it difficult to say as some people have been so friendly and nice when they ask.

I always feel bad in those situations but I keep in mind we have to make a profit.

But .... one wealthy lady said ok she'll pay for our traveling time also. She's now a priority customer as she pays top moneyand we do a top job.

Cheers

The Bear

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 06:25:03 am »
For most of us we would over price and hope not to get it, however, if you are just starting out, it may be worthwhile charging normal prices and explaining that its out of your way etc.

This will often move the customer to find you additional work from her neighbours, which is handy if your just starting up.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 07:53:27 am »
i had a call via yp yesterday from from a lady who wanted a qoute, she lives about 30 mins drive away and i don't cover that area.
i asked her what size house she lived in and she replied a 3 bed terrace

had she replied a mansion or similar i may have gone over to give a qoute, but a 3 bed (not worth it)

sometimes you have to be firm and say "sorry i don't cover that area"
or as i said earlier OVER PRICE IT!
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 11:10:39 am »
Just popped in between thunderstorms!

I am getting so much work chucked at me since I got the pole it's frightening!

Conservatory roofs, four-storey victorian flats and today a security cabin from roof to floor, full exterior clean.

Trouble is it's one of my long standing commercials - so I pulled a face, sucked on my teeth, umm'd and ahhh'd, even said "I've got so much work on I can't fit it in" and when pressed by pretty office manager gave in and said "£220?"

"When can you do it?" she asks! (I've booked it in six weeks away, I'm so stacked out)

(Still I'd rather be too busy than too slack and its better than my first full 8 hour day window cleaning back in '96 when I only earned £42!)

Bye - back to work! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

baldeagle

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 05:51:29 pm »
I realise that you've said you were not that fussed if you did this one, but when I first started, I got asked by one of my customers if I'd clean a house several streets away.

Seems that she rents it out to nurses from the local hosp.

Because I was keen, [or green!], I did it, noticed that there were several mucky windows down that street so put flyers around, "just in case".

Got 8 more, so it was worth it for me!
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 08:00:43 pm »
Today a lady asked us for a quote etc. She said was a just the fronts of a Victorian terraced house, 2 smallish upstair windows, 1 smallish downstairs window and a door.

I had to say sorry but where she lived wouldn't be viable as the windows would be a tenner but we'd have to drive into the centre of town which would be too time consuming.

She offered us £30 a go and to do it every 4 weeks.

;D  ;D  ;D

Pity that doesn't happen more often.

Mike_Boxall

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 10:30:51 pm »
I won't ever quote for Forum Admin.

Too thankless ..............  ::)

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 08:39:20 am »
If you don't want a job just say no. I am the worlds softest touch and I end up doing all sorts of favours and getting involved in all sorts of stuff i should stay out of.

My advice is always carry a shammy leather. Its pretty good for detailing corners but even better for stuffing in your mouth when you really need to stop talking !!

BIRMINGHAM

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 10:11:13 pm »
 ;D i just say no
service you can rely on