This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sunshine

hot windows!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 19, 2005, 09:37:30 pm »
Hi All

I hope that you have all been enjoying the sunshine!!! and not tooooooo burnt.

Having worked all weekend, we really struggled with getting the mix (water 2x 5ml of GG4 and suds) to stick to the windows.

By the time I got my applicator back in my boab the mix had dryed :-(

Anyone got any great tips.......

Have a good week

Best regards

Sunshine

rosskesava

Re: hot windows!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:57:45 pm »
Hi Sunshine

Down here on the south coast Saturday was a burner also. I cannot remember it being that hot for years and years.

On some places the only way I could work was mop in one hand and squeegie in the other and do one window at a time which is easy for me as I do all the ground floor work.

We were due to due the insides of this huge conservatory and we did try but it was impossible (the thermometer read 112 degrees).

I'd also be interested to know what problems others have and how they solve them.

Cheers

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 10:10:34 pm »
I worked for a few hours on Saturday too and it was very hot.

Working traditionally I don't think there's any magic answers.

Drink plenty of water (I put away a litre an hour) and take your time when using ladders.  It's easy to go into 'mong mode' where you're not as carefull as you should be; because your body is hot and stressed.  Or rushing to get to round the other side of the house which is in the shade.

And as Ross has pointed out; you have to wet and squeegie a limited amount of windows before your solution dries.  With large windows; do them in sections starting (obviously) at the top.

s.hughes

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:30:19 pm »
I know it dosnt help with this topic but I find its like the very cold days in winter. If its to cold then just dont work the same if its to hot. Sunday was the hottest day so far this year and I was telling me misses that I wouldnt work on a day like that. Today Monday was ok.
I have found that when its to hot I tend to slow right down and to be honest I might as well spend that time doing something else like building my wfp.
Lets face it we dont get weather so hot that it stops us working. So lets enjoy while we can.

Steveyboy

dai

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 08:10:14 pm »
This is where the backflip as an all in one tool comes into it's own. With the blade an inch behind the applicator there is no time for the water to dry. I have had no problems at all, DAI

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 08:41:26 pm »
I normally hand bash stick on leaded glass with Nilsglass or diluted windsceen wash and a cloth.

Glass cleaner is always one of those things we always promise to buy before we run out but never do and today we ran out of both.

So I went back to mopping, squeegieing, and clothing dry.

I was so surprised that in the warm weather doing the windows that way is so quick where as in the winter or cooler months, it's slower.

Or is it my imagination?

Cheers

g_griffin

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:16:36 pm »
I use a sports drink bottle filled with solution and squirt it along the applicator to keep it wet. I also do larger windows in sections and use a smaller blade in hot weather.
 Oh and I`ve stopped using gg3/4 on it`s own when the sun is out.

Gerry.

Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:28:09 pm »
Hi

Thanks all.......was not intended as a moan just wanted to know if I could work a bit smarter!!!!!!

Best regards

Sunshine

s.hughes

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 10:40:28 pm »
Yup like griffin I dont use gg4 on its own in the hot weather, I simply must add a touch of fairy. GG4 is fine on it own but when its hot, boy do you need some extra slip.

Steveyboy

nl window cleaners

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 01:05:53 am »
Here is my opinion from Spain (42 degrees here ) use small squeege as fast as you can.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 12:28:37 pm »
I just bought some GG4 to try it out.  I do like it better than the Joy I have stuck with for some time.

I have been working in high 90 dgree days but haven't had any problems with it.  I use more than the recommended amount and that takes away the problems of glide-lust and evaporation.  Even in direct sunlight, I could do an entire large window all at once (not in sections), and with an 18" or 36" blade.

Have you just tried using more of the GG4? 

s.hughes

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 05:22:40 pm »
Yes your right about using more gg4. I could never work with it on the recomended amount. I also put in more and it is much better to work with.

Steveyboy

g_griffin

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 08:57:30 pm »
 I do find gg3/4 easier to use if you add more than recommended. It`s also better in clean,fresh water and  therefore the solution in the bucket doesn`t seem to last long.
  That`s why I always clean water in the sports drink bottle. You have a nice fresh gg3/4 solution on almost every window.
  Just use Fairy in the bucket, to get a few suds and to dip applicator in every so often.
   You will also find your bottle of gg4 lasts much longer.

Gerry.
        ps. 36" squeegee  :o, rather you than me.