This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

It's starting to get uncomfortably hot here; so we've resorted to applying factor 30 sun-screen every couple of hours, wearing shorts and tee-shirts and taking a large cool box filled with ice blocks and cold drinks.

Has anyone any other hot tips for keeping cool during the Summer heat (all two weeks of it)?

Sir Squeaky

Tosh,

To be honest I've coped ok. But if you get offered a cup of tea it's best to take it.
It can be more effective than a cold drink according to a lot of people. :o

Oh, and have a car with air-conditioning like me!

Anyway, I thought your country of origin was hot and humid...

This should be a doddle for you! ;)

Roger.

Anyway, I thought your country of origin was hot and humid...

It's ruddy freezing for most of the year in Newcastle! ;)

rosskesava

The only tip I can think of is not to work.    ;D

Justin H

Why start this topic?
Don't you know that you are going to make it RAIN!!!

AuRavelling79

Wear light coloured clothing.
Lose weight - you're carrying less around with you.
My old Honda's got air con too - it's brill!
I like the coolbox idea - next on my list!
I wear a peaked cap with material hanging down at the back to protect the neck - a bit like what the Japanese army wore in the jungle - in fact my bro. saw me wearing it with my chubby chops and small eyes and said " Watch out the Japs have landed!" ;D
It's a game of three halves!

matt

i got 1 of those car fridge's, they keep drinks nice and cold

yesterday i struggled, the pole got so hot i was hard work to hold it at time :(

oh and the water pipe was so hit it was like putty

we shouldnt complain though, i will remind you all of this post in dec  ;D

thewindowcleaner1

change WFP brush for hose attachment and have refreshing cold water spray.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

MWCS

My old boss used to use cold water in his bucket in the summer and keep a bottle of drinking water in it, when you feel dehydrated the water in the bottle was always cold. I've not tried it as yet don't fancy using cold water to clean someones windows.

My old boss used to use cold water in his bucket in the summer and keep a bottle of drinking water in it, when you feel dehydrated the water in the bottle was always cold. I've not tried it as yet don't fancy using cold water to clean someones windows.

MWCS,

That's a good tip!  Honest.  Instead of trailing back to the car for a swig of water; just pull it out of your bucket.  I'll do that tomorrow.

As for cleaning windows with hot or cold water; I've tried both and the only difference I found was that hot water steamed up the inside of your car when travelling to your first job (it was winter).

MalcG,

I am ruddy Japanese - (half at least; the top half) and couldn't wear that hat.  Some of my older customers in the Burma Star Association; still suffering with post traumatic stress disorder; would have heart attacks.

I also WON'T wear a baseball cap, as that is the preferred head-dress for chavs and Gaza.

Somebody put a tip on a post elsewhere here about staying cool (sorry can't remember who to give the credit too).

The tip was to spray your clothing with a mist of water from a spray bottle (carried in your bucket).

Brilliant.  I tried it today.  Really worked well and kept Wor Lass and myself cool(ish).

I owe whoever posted that tip a chilled beer!

Also, I saw a local window cleaner (Ian_Giles knows him) whose in late forties, early fiftees working topless.  He's a decent enough guy, but looked like a proper 'Chav-yob' working like that.

s.hughes

I put a botle of water in the freezer over night. The next day its frozen, so take that around in your bucket and it slowly melts but is always very cold.

I wish people would stop talking about airconditioning. I havent got it in my car so why should anyone else!!!!

Steveyboy

Ian_Giles

Topless ??? It's been a long time since I went topless, in fact the closest I ever got to working without a top while window cleaning was to have a sport vest on, got decent arms, chest & shoulders, but would never unleash my belly on an unsuspecting public :o
Talking of unleashing bits on an unsuspecting public; During one summer a lad who was working for me at the time had his shorts on, was cleaning an awkward window, I actually had to hold the bottom of the ladder at waist height whilst he climbed up it, then he had to clamber over a ledge to get at the window.

The customer was standing by my side as we watched him work (she was working in the garden) amusement followed as he got himself into a tangle trying to get back onto the ladder, then there came a point where I don't know who's face was the redder, the customer or Pete's, his shorts were rather baggy and at one stage everything was on show, customer was made of tough stuff though, she didn't even flinch.....or take her eyes off him for even a nano-second ;D

regards

Ian.....who now has his top off and is going to lie in his hammock listening to an album on his nice, shiny new Nokia 6630 8)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Roy Harding

I to have a fridge, but I used to make a 2ltr bottle of squash and freeze over night. It then thaws out gradually all day providing a cool drink. :)

Roy

gaza

CHEAP WINDOWS :You forgot to meantion that I also wear my baseball cap back to front ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

We were doing a large house today and the owners were out.

When we got round the back all 3 of us looked at the swimming pool with the same idea and jumped in fully clothed.

It was heaven - it kept me cool for about an hour afterwards.

Cheers

CHEAP WINDOWS :You forgot to meantion that I also wear my baseball cap back to front ;D

GAZA

Here's a picture of Gaza taken yesturday (with the cap pointing the correct direction for a change), but unfortunately it's a fake Burberry

Gaza, if I could PM you, I'd tell you I was only serious, Mate. ;)

s.hughes

We were doing a large house today and the owners were out.

When we got round the back all 3 of us looked at the swimming pool with the same idea and jumped in fully clothed.

It was heaven - it kept me cool for about an hour afterwards.

Cheers
My customers always have them pool covers or are indoor swimming pools. Mind you I have a customer who says that I can come round and use the pool whenever I want to. I got the code for his front gates and he's says to just pop along whenever. I should take him up on the offer but I think I would prefer a cool shower.

Steveyboy