Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

100% cotton fabric
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »
Jus been to Ikea and whilst there had a look at the fabrics of their upholstery,lots were 100% cotton and gave instructions to shampoo only,so is 100% cotton not suitable for HWE?

Jonny F

Re: 100% cotton fabric
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:58 pm »
Cotton is very sensitive to excessive water and or heat  (shrinkage)  I would start off with a very good detailed vacuum and dusting off with a microfiber towel. Then mix up some dry foam cleaner, and using a good clean horse hair brush work the foam in a circular overlapping motion......then vac off and towel each panel as you work, even using a hair dryer to aid in getting the cotton dry fast,  to prevent spotting and water rings. If the fabric is very thin or delicate I will wipe down with dry cleaning solvent prior to dry foam cleaning, this will act like a barrier to prevent over wetting the fabric.
Jon Firari
Ultra Color Care Services
Spring Hill, TN 37174
IICRC Master Textile Cleaner
IICRC Senior Carpet Inspector
"Been in the business 15 years"

richy27

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »
the main issue with cotton is water marks.  Chemspec do a product called hiation cotton shampoo which i have used before, handy to have a can in stock.

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:24:21 pm »
Keep moisture down, keep Ph down, acid rinse, plenty vac passes and turbo dry, just treat as any other natural fibre.

Mark

markpowell

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »
How does the wife wash your 100% cotton shirts, bet she uses water ;)
Mark

wayne zabel

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:36 pm »
Thats exactly what I was just thinking whilst Ive just been ironing some cotton t shirts

clinton

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 05:23:47 pm »
Maybe get some cushions from a charity shop or go to a local retail shop that sells loose upholstery and have a practice at home ???

richy27

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
Maybe get some cushions from a charity shop or go to a local retail shop that sells loose upholstery and have a practice at home ???

I found lots of various pieces of upholstery at recycle centres and in skips when i started out was good practice

clinton

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »
Forgot about the recycling centers as well :)

Jonny F

Re: 100% cotton fabric New
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:04:25 pm »
 Well,  with a cotton t-shirt your not dealing with any coatings like furniture fabrics......nor are you concerned with dimentional stability (wrinkles) like you have to deal with in upholstery. (using that household iron could be difficuilt)

Haition cotton shampo is great for Haition cotton (unprocessed cotton with the seeds) but you would not want to use this solution on finished cottons like liinen or colorful versons, as that type of shampoo has a small amount of reducing agent in the mix which can bleach out a fabric
Jon Firari
Ultra Color Care Services
Spring Hill, TN 37174
IICRC Master Textile Cleaner
IICRC Senior Carpet Inspector
"Been in the business 15 years"