This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Van load capacity (weight)
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:13 pm »
Hi guys, i wonder if some of you who know a bit more about vans could give me some ideas. I ideally i would like to carry three men and a 1000l tank (i might compromise at 800l).I need two hose reels and a big gas bottle in there too.

So what are my options for a van that will carry 1500kg.

At the mo i have a scudo900kg with a 650l, and tranny medium wb medium roof that i don't know the rating of. I've been offered a ducato 1200kg at 11k plus vat. The new scudo 1200kg is good for parking on drives but a bit pricey ( i want a new one).

Anyone got any ideas of what my options are, or opinions about parking bigger vans?

geefree

Re: Van load capacity (weight)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:33:06 pm »
Sorry i cant help,

but i have a transit, and i never park on a drive, it takes too much time up. ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:46:26 pm »
Hi guys, i wonder if some of you who know a bit more about vans could give me some ideas. I ideally i would like to carry three men and a 1000l tank (i might compromise at 800l).I need two hose reels and a big gas bottle in there too.

At the mo i have a scudo900kg with a 650l, and tranny medium wb medium roof that i don't know the rating of. I've been offered a ducato 1200kg at 11k plus vat. The new scudo 1200kg is good for parking on drives but a bit pricey ( i want a new one).

Anyone got any ideas of what my options are, or opinions about parking bigger vans?

transit 300 would carry 800L and three men, I would not risk 1000L as you would max out payload with no room for tools or fuel nor the extra weight you put on being wfp  ;D

I have a realy and transit van both have high enough payload for said items bit three men I would not if 1000L, unless a 2 ft tall 2 stone lad
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:54:12 pm »
Do you mean you park and do several houses and not repark for every house?

I do repark for every house pretty much, even when they are fairly close.I do backs, the other lad fronts.We have redashe reels, so the hose follows us outward, and electric rewind that takes it in fast.This set up cost a few bob but is the black pearl of window cleaning and gives me an enormous speed advantage over other operators.We also work hot with a very high flow, again for speed.We do empty the 650l by 2pm though, and have to return to base and refill;this costs me money, and is probably enough to justify buying another van to carry more water.

Window Washers

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:42 pm »
Do you mean you park and do several houses and not repark for every house?

I do repark for every house pretty much, even when they are fairly close.I do backs, the other lad fronts.We have redashe reels, so the hose follows us outward, and electric rewind that takes it in fast.This set up cost a few bob but is the black pearl of window cleaning and gives me an enormous speed advantage of other operators.We also work hot with a very high flow, again for speed.We do empty the 650l by 2pm though, and have to return to base and refill;this costs me money, and is probably enough to justify buying another van to carry more water.
turn your water down as your just wasting it, moving van on every house is costing you money if there is no need this also means you are wasting your time charging up your reel drill wasting time and money on this also.

Clive quite shocking from one post you could be saving and making more money per day in the van you have ???

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 08:01:48 pm »
Thanks ww, this is the sort of info i need.To be honest i do find the work a bit hard and would settle for earning and doing less.

How do you find parking on drives? The scudo is great for this but sometimes catches trees and overhanging bushes with ladders and roof rack on top.

What's a sort pf typical week for you? Ie monday do quotes and websites, tues go out with lads while they work, wed cover for missing man, etc.
Can your vans operate three poles? I was thinking of just two with me ticketing and admin etc.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:49 pm »
Not many houses are close- and even if they are they aren't always done on the same day- but sometimes i will do one house and he another. My approach is a bit different because i am stuck for time, i have to help my wife load and unload every day, so 3.30pm is about the latest i can work.

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
Not many houses are close- and even if they are they aren't always done on the same day- but sometimes i will do one house and he another. My approach is a bit different because i am stuck for time, i have to help my wife load and unload every day, so 3.30pm is about the latest i can work.
if you have a house near to another then the logic is to clean this at the same time as the house near it.

If you are working just to get the higher priced houses done all at the same time, this will be were the problem lies, if not please tell me why you are not doing time and motion on work to get the most money out of the time you have (this does not mean the highest priced houses in one day and the poor paid another.

Ian

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »
I don't agree the axiom of one house near another means they are done together.I do agree though that this is a commonsense approach.

For example if i have to go home to refill i will not be able to do outstanding houses where i was working and will fill in with some near home to close the day.Also i prioritise new work.

macmac

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »

3 men in one van? ??? ???

matt

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:33:33 pm »
VW CRAFTER ( look for the bigger payload version, think the biggest is 3000 K )

3 up front, a nice payload area in the rear

ftp

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 08:09:38 am »
Slumps, surely two smaller vans would be better than one large van with three men in it? What's your plan - two guys do the donkey work then you jump out and put a slip through the door?
You'll be popular with your two employees  ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:17:57 am »
Thanks matt the crafter has a payload of 2300 kg.
Yes ftp that's the deal, a bit more than that as probably i would be doing it a lot of the time if i didn't have a second employee,one didn't turn up etc.

There's plenty for me to do, and the laptop would come with me to give me an office in the van and have to do less at home.I know someone who does this and it seems to work well.

As for the several van thing, i would love to hang onto my scudo, but i already have a transit on the drive with the scudo, and if i add a crafter/transit/ducato this might push my neighbours a bit.It was a big jump going to one employee in terms of finding the work capacity, and another van would be an even larger leap, so the in between and more manageable is a bigger van.

DaveG

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:03 am »
Just do a search on google ie ....."ford transit SWB payload"

Thats what i did when i was looking at vans
You can't polish a turd

dd

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 12:54:36 pm »
Your current set-up will be over the payload limit when you take into account the gas bottle and employee.

900kg payload will give you a max capacity of 600-650l on a cold water system without a passenger.

matt

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 02:19:55 pm »
Thanks matt the crafter has a payload of 2300 kg.

nice van aswell

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:03:02 pm »
Hi

I have looked on the VW website and see that the Crafter with a 2300kg payload comes into the 5T catagory.

This is an area you will need to be weary of. Firstly, anyone in your employ who hasn't got a drivers licence before 1st Jan 1997 will need an LGV extension to qualify to drive it. Any vehicle over the 3.5T gross vehicle weight needs a tachograph, and that's an administrative minefield. You will also be required to do a daily mechanical safety check on your van and keeping a paper record as proof for VOSA inspectors. Any mechanical defect will be recorded and will appear on the daily report until it is rectified.

You will also step into the Operator Licencing arena with vehicles above 3.5T, even if a temporary exemption may apply to you. When issuing O Licences overnight vehicle parking is also taken into consideration. Another issue is that of 6 weekly (could also be every 12 weeks depending on annual mileage specified when making  O Licence application) vehicle mechanical checks that are required with 'O' Licences, and of course the annual MOT which is more strict.

I see the new Ford Transit 350 MWB medium roof has a payload of 1652 kgs which would probably just be ok with 3 bodies, 800l of water, tanks and equipment, gas bottle as well as diesel. I think a 1000l tank would be too close to that limit, if not over IMO.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dave.e

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:45:29 pm »
Hi slumpbuster the;s are the payloads for the trannys

will put MK6 weights in brackets

80 (T260) payload is 800KG
100 (T280) payload is 1000kg
120 (T300) Payload is 1200kg
150 (T330) Payload is 1500kg
190 (T350) payload is 1900 kg (LWB only)
230 (T430) Payload is 2300kg (DRW and HGV)

;) ;) ;) ;)

matt

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

I see the new Ford Transit 350 MWB medium roof has a payload of 1652 kgs which would probably just be ok with 3 bodies, 800l of water, tanks and equipment, gas bottle as well as diesel. I think a 1000l tank would be too close to that limit, if not over IMO.

Spruce

i would say that the 1652 payload is too low, 3 blokes at 450 kg, 850 kg for tank & water ( so we have 1300 kg so far ) only 352 for 2 hose reels full or hose, gas heater, gas bottle, poles brushs, spares and odd and sods, might add a gutter vac cleaner, some wet floor / men at work signs, PPE not forgetting FUEL

it would be too close for me

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 10:39:26 pm »
Hi slumpbuster the;s are the payloads for the trannys

will put MK6 weights in brackets

80 (T260) payload is 800KG
100 (T280) payload is 1000kg
120 (T300) Payload is 1200kg
150 (T330) Payload is 1500kg
190 (T350) payload is 1900 kg (LWB only)
230 (T430) Payload is 2300kg (DRW and HGV)

;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi
Some Transit fiqures from Ford website.
T260 SWB Low Roof 85ps 901kg payload
T280 SWB LR 85ps 1101kg payload
T300 SWB LR 85ps 1301kg payload
T330 SWB LR 115ps 1555kg payload
T350 MWB High Roof 115ps 1630kg payload
T350 LWB HR 115ps 1559kg payload
T460 EL Double Rear Wheels Jumbo 2265kg payload

The bigger the engine, the heavier it is - the less the payload
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)