Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Joe H

Re: prowler
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »
With the Prowler you have high heat, high pressure, very good blower, but no waste tank.
No waste tank I think makes it a more efficient machine then a similar spec with a waste tank - it has'nt got to evacuate the air from a tank.
Much better then the Powerflite - and it should be cause it costs more.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:11 pm »
Should a blower give up on the Prowler would it be easy to replace? Had one go on one of the Blazers a few months back. Nightmare, and almost £2200!!

Joe H

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 07:45:24 pm »
I have not looked too closely at the "mechanics" of the red 13hp, but the yellow 15hp seems reasonably accessible - and I dont think the cost is anywhere near that.

clinton

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2009, 07:47:25 pm »
Joe

Can you adjust the heat on the prowler ???

MAX Carpets

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2009, 07:54:00 pm »
If it can be avoided I recommend it! Having to have the whole thing removed from the van just to see the blower is not good!

Joe H

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2009, 07:57:24 pm »
You can turn the revs down a bit, not as much heat produced thro the exhaust - so not as much heat transferred to the water in the heat exchanger. But how far you can turn the revs down before any possible damage to the mechanics - perhaps someone could advise.
Or, there is a valve on the front of the machine which you can open a little and this allows more water flow thro the system (I have modified mine so this water goes back to the clean tank). Same effect as above but you can keep the revs up although pressure will drop slightly so this has to be tweaked.

Stu.Clem

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2009, 08:13:48 pm »
Turning the revs down also proportionally slows the cooling fan so it wont be running much cooler if any - also both engines are designed to run at an optimum 3600 rpm which by no coincidence am sure is the same optimum rpm for the roots 33 blower fitted to both models - so turning down revs will also give less blower effect = less suction also I think could possibly even cause hotspots within the blower?  JK will be able to advise more accurately.  This particular blower is around 1200usd without shipping etc.  and looks very easy to change out  on both models - that said - the blower has been seriously tested for 3 years (with waste water running thru it) and properly certificated by some authority in that industry..

I lower temp (for light soiled upholstery usually) by just cracking the main bypass valve - it isnt an exact science - but you soon develop "the knack"  so would conclude that the prowler doesnt have a dedicated temp control tho it can be lowered after a fashion.

Stu

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:51 pm »
I'm going to have to have a go with one of these Prowlers, they sound like the Mutts!!!!

nevil

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
Turning the revs down also proportionally slows the cooling fan so it wont be running much cooler if any - also both engines are designed to run at an optimum 3600 rpm which by no coincidence am sure is the same optimum rpm for the roots 33 blower fitted to both models - so turning down revs will also give less blower effect = less suction also I think could possibly even cause hotspots within the blower?  JK will be able to advise more accurately.  This particular blower is around 1200usd without shipping etc.  and looks very easy to change out  on both models - that said - the blower has been seriously tested for 3 years (with waste water running thru it) and properly certificated by some authority in that industry..

I lower temp (for light soiled upholstery usually) by just cracking the main bypass valve - it isnt an exact science - but you soon develop "the knack"  so would conclude that the prowler doesnt have a dedicated temp control tho it can be lowered after a fashion.

Stu

I thought that they were both quoted as operating at a maximum of 3600. I think you will find that they are both able to quite comfortably operate at lower revs. Naturally this will produce lower power output, torque/ airflow and hg.  I know that truck mount producers often recommend certain rpms as this gives a performance level stated in their specs.  But as an example.

Lets say Simon Gerrad with his titan turns up to clean a small room. He can park right outside the door and only needs 25ft of pipe on a one wand job. Is it a crime if he doesn't rev his machine to the max. It may mean he can only get a measly 500 cfm and has to work at a tepid 240 degrees F. But I cannot for the life of me see that the machine will suffer because it isn't running at full revs. Or am I wrong?

Stu.Clem

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2009, 10:09:53 pm »
Both engines alone will operate at any revs all day long - it was a question of varying heat output at different revs I think....  Bolting on ameaty blower and a high pressure pump adds significant extra load to the engine - Iam a firm beleiver in not labouring a relatively small engine with too low rpm / high  load as it puts undue stresses on the bottom end ie crank bearings.   As I say am no expert on these particular motors tho having used one for a fair while now in conjunction with my "natural aptitude" for merchanics  (ex time served maintenance fitter who owns 8 trials bikes 4 stroke and 2 stroke) beleive my opinion to be a slightly worthy one...

Labour away as you will but I much prefer to give it full revs!!!!! why would you want less suction????  more mpg is my guess.... lol  ::)  DOH!

Stu

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2009, 10:19:28 pm »
I thought they ran the blower at far high revs and that's why it steams the dirty water to vapour.

Shaun

Stu.Clem

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2009, 10:25:55 pm »
3600rpm is relatively low but is the rcommended optimum for all units within the prowler - the honda engines can be tuned to run well over 7000rpm (in go kart circles) but think these speeds would pop blowers and eat carpets?!!! lol

Got your number Shaun - hope to meet you wednesday

Stu

John Kelly

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »
Air cooled engines need to be run fast as the fan behind the front grill needs to suck in air to cool the combustion chamber. Running too slow can cause excessive heat build up which is bad for the bearings.
The beauty of the Prowler blowers is that they alway run cool due to the water going through. This should make the bearings last much longer.