Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DanC

Re: Is There Really Enough Work Out There For Everyone?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 09:51:03 pm »
Evening all, hope you don't mind me jumping in here.  I'm new to this forum and window cleaning for that matter.  I started approx 6 months ago working weekends to begin (I'm employed too - full time) but it's been pretty slow.  I purchased a van and wfp system, i also have a customer service background but to be honest have struggled to get customers.  I'm on online directories, phone books etc and I've distributed some leaflets although not many.  I guess what has kinda been holding me back is upsetting other window cleaners.  Any advice??

krave

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 09:54:38 pm »
Just cold call, dont look at stealing work or undercut to get work.
you would be doing nothing wrong.

chopsie

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 09:56:01 pm »
What do you do at the houses with "No hawkers or sellers or canvassers etc" on the door.do you still knock,and if so what kind of reaction do you get.seemed to be a lot of elderly people with them on bungalows
chopsie

DanC

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 10:02:13 pm »
I would never look to steal work or undercut anyone, that's not me.  I live in the northeast but Ive been told the council don't allow cold calling.

chopsie

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:04 pm »
DanC. as you prob have seen i am just starting out,what do you think of wfp set up?I am not too worried about upsetting other window cleaners,they dont own the area,just like Plumbers,builders,milkmen etc etc.If any told me today that they had a cleaner i did not even give them a flyer,and certainly would not quote them.I am not going to knowingly undercut,am going for between 0.75 and £1.00 a window depending on area with min £8.00 charge,if its cheaper than other cleaners so be it,I dont think its cheap especially for Derby,Its not London!
chopsie

krave

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »
To be honest I knock them, most people that answer the door are no different with these. I have got some customers from these houses, some have said there stickers from last owner.

My nan has one and says she dont mind people knocking, (bit pointless).

If your worried about knocking them you can do what I used to do, and when they answer say you only just saw the sticker, say sorry, then go in with your pitch lol.

DanC

I dont know about council rules, Never heard of that tho to be honest.

DanC

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:50 pm »
I love the wfp, it's the reason I started really after lots of research just wish I could get my business going.  I want to be my own boss, work hard,be outdoors and its great doing a good job.
I'm just going to go for it now, it's held me back somewhat.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 10:23:01 pm »
Chopsie, if you want customers you've got to knock on doors. Even if a customer says no thanks when you knock, they could come back to you because the've saw your face and got a leaflet.

I've picked up 12 new custies over the last couple of days by knocking. Once you've got the first door knocked and then got the first customer you'll be flying.

Good luck

windowswashed

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 10:36:01 pm »
Failure cannot live with persistency. If you want to earn and haven't got the work, you need to do something about it. Quitters don't work and workers don't quit. :)

DanC

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:01 pm »
Yeah your so right (Murdie WC),  I need to get that first one out the way.
I'm going off line now, early start tomorrow!.  Thanks for the chat, in the meantime to all the regulars who are currently offline, if you have any feedbck for me that would be great.  I'll be back on tomorrow no doubt.

cozy

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »
I think that quote was "Quitters never win and winners never quit" We have read the same books lol ;D

chopsie

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »
well i certainly feel more confident after today,just need to put it into practise next week.could do it this weekend but have got the kids,or maybe that could be an angle,dress them in old tatty clothes,dirty them up a bit,perhaps people would take pity on us and work would flood in!! ;D ex would have something to say about it though! :o
chopsie

cozy

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
Don't forget the flat cap and Dick Van d y k e accent and call the custy "Guvn'r" ;D

chopsie

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »
ha ha,will brush up on me accent and exploit the kids! may as well see if any chimneys want cleaning while i have got them :o
chopsie

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »
Quitters don't work and workers don't quit.

I don't know what book it's from, but I like it because it is so true. Starting out in any business is hard and window cleaning is just the same. Work hard and I'm convinced the rewards will come. No one is going to knock on your door and ask you to come and clean there windows, you HAVE to go to them.

Get on the treadmill of knocking and cleaning, knocking and cleaning. When you step off after 6 months or so you mite just have a half decent round(at least that's what I'm hoping :D)

cozy

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 11:58:18 pm »
Post of the day.

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 12:16:31 am »
it just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling before drifting off to sleep, dreaming of a profitable business with an excellent round!!

we all gotta stay positive!

cozy

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 12:18:23 am »
4 litres of Kraut beer has the same effect lol ;D

daz1977

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2009, 09:45:47 am »
a lot of towns have a no cold calling zone, they put them up on the street lights,  i think they are manily there for vacuum cleaner sales and ele sales men,  just pretend you didnt know,  as long as there is no pressure you should not get reported,

if you want to go leaflets you will have to put thousands out, and put them out regular, this can be very time consuming, i use the local guy who delivers for the local coop, i pay him to hand out flyers when he does theres and have never had any problems

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 04:20:55 pm »
it just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling before drifting off to sleep, dreaming of a profitable business with an excellent round!!

we all gotta stay positive!

yep!! and because of that i cant sleep and think about windows all the time, wifes going to shoot me :) any of the rest of you like that, you never did say how long you been at it ?
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'