This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gordons

Obstacles
« on: June 02, 2005, 03:57:12 pm »
Hi there im going to start window cleaning using ladders. Can you tell me how do you get to windows that have got something below them for example a conservatory or a porche or garage?

TERRY AB

Re: Obstacles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 04:04:23 pm »
A Water Fed Pole System would be the easiest and Safest way.
You could buy yourself a Residential Setup, from Ionics to start.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 05:21:55 pm »
If your using ladders you can get a large extension pole for above conservatory windows but may not get great results.
Most window cleaners with ladders don't clean window they can't get to or it is not safe to do.
So if i was you tell the customer you can't get the windows above the conservatories.
Window above flat roofs are generally ok to clean just get on the flat roof. But make sure it's a solid roof first

Paul

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 07:35:51 pm »
I'm traditional (as in I use ladders - at the moment) and just tell potential customers what windows would be dangerous to clean; therefore I won't. 

When you're starting up, you tend to take more risks than when you're established and more experienced.  I'm sure a lot of window cleaners here would agree with that statement.

Don't!  If it doesn't feel safe; don't clean it.  Even if the customer tells you that the 'last window cleaner did it okay'. 

Some windows are like a puzzle.  There's a possible safe way if you think about it enough.  For example I remember climbing onto steep sloping porch roofs to clean the window above.  Very dangerous.

It took a while for it to register that I could just place my ladders to one side of the porch; and clean the window from one side!

I also do one estate that have a bedroom window above a sloping entrance.  I feel safe to climb onto the long sloping entrance if it's dry; but won't if it's wet, other wise I'd probably end up doing a 'Freddy Flintstone' impersonation (when he slides down the dinasour).

I still charge them the same price though, whether I do it or not.  Most don't seem to realise and never ask me about it!

You've just got to apply some common sense. (which I've lacked on occassion).

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 10:15:33 pm »
Hi Gordons

Windows_Chepstow says it all.

Don't ever take a risk with hard to reach windows.

We also did one job to start with when the 'we'll get it done somehow' thing was our motto.

It involved putting a ladder on top of a 15 ft high brick wall between 2 houses and then extending 3 sections just to do one little window.

At the time as far as I was aware, there were no forums like this to read about what is sensible and safe and what is not.

Stuff doing that type of idiotic thing now. We must have been crazy to do that.

Most customers understand 100% if you cannot do a window and most don't worry about it.

And in case any one wonders, no it cannot be done with WFP's unless you want to balance on a 15 ft high brick wall.

Cheers

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 11:54:11 pm »
Hi there im going to start window cleaning using ladders. Can you tell me how do you get to windows that have got something below them for example a conservatory or a porche or garage?

I don't have a WFP system .  I use ordinary extension poles for such windows.  There are various gadgets that can fit on the end of the pole.  The most useful ones I have found are:
"Swiv-loc" squeege and swiv-loc applicator for when you have to work at an angle.  The "vice-versa" (goes under various names) which is an applicator and squeegee back to back (useful if you don't want to switch tools or on hot days when the liquid dries out too fast to make tool switching practical).
One little gem I have is a zero degree angled swiv-loc squeegee. This is useful, for instance, if you are level with a window that you can't reach by hand.  However, occasionally the customer has to accept that a window just can't be cleaned.  No piece of glass is worth breaking your neck over.
Using a pole will not give the same quality as doing the window by hand but it's certainly better than no clean at all.

dai

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 05:16:41 pm »
I'm 6ft 15 stone and have arms like tree trunks, but I can not do those above the conservatory windows with a pole without it killing my elbows. I used to be the champion at lifting a sledge hammer at arms lengh holding the end of the shaft, that's exacly what it feels like holding a wet applicator at arms lengh on the end of a 7ft pole when I'm up my ladder. Do you guys use 18 ft poles off the ground or something? Roll on when I get my W.F.P. Dai

gaza

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 08:43:31 pm »
dai :not 18 ft 45 ft SOMETIMES. 38 WINDOWS AT 45FT SORTS THE BOYS FROM THE MEN. THAT IN CLUDES FRAMES JUST UNDER AN HR ON 2ND CLEAN, BEAT THAT ON LADDERS

GAZA

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:12:15 pm »
I'm 6ft 15 stone and have arms like tree trunks, but I can not do those above the conservatory windows with a pole without it killing my elbows. I used to be the champion at lifting a sledge hammer at arms lengh holding the end of the shaft, that's exacly what it feels like holding a wet applicator at arms lengh on the end of a 7ft pole when I'm up my ladder. Do you guys use 18 ft poles off the ground or something? Roll on when I get my W.F.P. Dai
The pole I use is in 5 sections.  I think it's 5 x 1.5 metres but I've never measured it.  It's an Unger Plus4 if that's any help. The two smallest sections are a single extendable unit and yes, it does make my arms ache sometimes but I don't use it a great deal.

dai

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:35:35 pm »
And there me standing on top of a ladder with a pole at arms lengh, trying to do the ones over the conservatory. Dai

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 08:28:13 pm »
And there me standing on top of a ladder with a pole at arms lengh, trying to do the ones over the conservatory. Dai

I sometiomes have to hop up the ladder to get to them as well Dai but thats usually when the conservatory roof goes to a point and it would get in the way if I tried it from ground level.  Having those swivloc squeegees and applicator has been a real bonus for me.  A lot of domestic window cleaners won't invest in such equipment so I am able to charge more when using it.